IL - Kenneka Jenkins, 19, found dead in hotel freezer, Rosemont, 10 Sept 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. The cameras somewhere should have picked up something. I guess there is a way where you can walk in a freezer and it be an accident but what bothers me is the fact if she was that "drunk", I feel like she would have a hard time getting it open bc most of them u have to jerk pretty hard to get open. Even if that was the case, its crazy that she go From 9ish floors to the basement. Walk in there and get stuck. I thought I read that it wasn't being used.. unless it stayed on the entire time which I guess its possible but then again I would think it made no sense for her to go and turn on the freezer herself.
SABBM

Thanks for bringing that up, VAgirlatheart !!!

I think I read that as well.... of course it wouldn't be on since it costs electricity to run an empty freezer -- esp. a walk in one which would be more expensive than a small freezer.

One would think it wasn't turned on. Did they dust it for prints ?
If she opened it by herself... only HER prints should be on it. Aside from the people who placed it in the area under construction.
:moo:

I might be in the minority here, but I think she really did just stumble into the freezer thinking it was an elevator or the door to the room. Being young and having too much to drink causes things like this to happen. Hell, I've been there - just not to this extent.

RSBM

It could be as simple as that.
Just that the actions of her "friends" made my hinky meter take notice.
Very sad that they didn't locate her sooner-- and that her family had to return to the hotel to keep asking for help !!
Graphic below :

How long does it take to freeze... and how cold was the freezer --was it turned on to the max ?
I'd like to know if anyone's prints were on the freezer thermostat.

Of course an employee could always wipe it down ! (Not saying this is what happened.)

I also understand that a hotel might not want a murder to have taken place on their premises. So they'd downplay this tragedy as an 'accident'.
MOO

I might be in the minority here, but I think she really did just stumble into the freezer thinking it was an elevator or the door to the room. Being young and having too much to drink causes things like this to happen. Hell, I've been there - just not to this extent.

I think thats totally possible and the one camera caught her alone so who knows.

I do think the accusations on SM is strange though.

SABBM

Thanks for bringing that up, VAgirlatheart !!!

I think I read that as well.... of course it wouldn't be on since it costs electricity to run an empty freezer -- esp. a walk in one which would be more expensive than a small freezer.

One would think it wasn't turned on. Did they dust it for prints ?
If she opened it by herself... only HER prints should be on it. Aside from the people who placed it in the area under construction.

My coworker asked me earlier if I heard about this case. I had not, so I googled it. The first article I brought up stated that the hotel's restaurant area was under renovations. Or they were adding a restaurant, so something like that. The freezer was on and cooling, but there was not yet any food in it.

I've been to hotels under renovations. There are usually little "pardon our progress" signs and those big plastic drop-cloth things taped up in various places. But no barriers keeping people out. It is possible, in her drunken state, that she just went past the drop cloths and found the freezer thinking it was a way out. Her mom said that she wouldn't have been able to open the doors, but she might have sat there for a while trying to get them open. We don't know.

I really didn't see anything unusual on the video of the girl with the glasses. It looked like a boring party with just a few people and it was coming to an end. The only reason people are trying to say it is spooky, is because they are looking for something and they know that hours later, the girl is going to be found in the freezer.

The friends were ready to go and they were in KJ's car. I think it was responsible of them to call KJ's mom and say "Look, we were at a party. KJ's drunk. We can't find her." What else could they have done to not make themselves look guilty?

Also, what is the significance of the video where KJ can possibly be seen in the mirrored glasses? I keep seeing articles about her maybe sitting on the bed. It's not a mystery that she was there. This is obviously during the party in the room. What am I missing?

I really want to rule out an accident but after seeing the "Jamisha Gilbert" case anything is possible .. (the girl in Lynchburg VA that's body was found in a cemetery after finding her car abandoned and footage of her running towards the cemetery). We all thought because her boyfriend was the last on to see he and his previous criminal record that it played a part in it but in reality she got a Hold of some bad drugs got of her car and end up freezing to death which is not what we was expecting to hear... so its possible, but how ever my gut feeling telling me different. Sad part about her friend should have never left her side. At all If she was drunk.. how many girls do we have to lose before it kicks in

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...found-dead-rosemont-hotel-20170910-story.html
"It was not clear who located Jenkins' body, but Mack said the hotel was doing some construction in the area where she was found. Martin said she was told the freezer Jenkins was in was turned on and cold but was not being used to store food.

"
I just happen to know there's work being done on some new facilities over there, so there is some construction activity where a new restaurant is being built, and (she was found) in that vicinity," Mack said. "This is not an area where anyone would typically be who was a guest in the hotel."
Curious to know how far the construction zone is from the lobby where she was seen on camera at 3:20am.

I read somewhere that one of her friends worked at the hotel but I don't know if that has been proven.

I really want to rule out an accident but after seeing the "Jamisha Gilbert" case anything is possible .. (the girl in Lynchburg VA that's body was found in a cemetery after finding her car abandoned and footage of her running towards the cemetery). We all thought because her boyfriend was the last on to see he and his previous criminal record that it played a part in it but in reality she got a Hold of some bad drugs got of her car and end up freezing to death which is not what we was expecting to hear... so its possible, but how ever my gut feeling telling me different. Sad part about her friend should have never left her side. At all If she was drunk.. how many girls do we have to lose before it kicks in
The police said in the video she was so drunk she had to hold herself up. I would question whoever was working the front desk. Certainly at a big hotel like the Crowne Plaza someone should've been at the front desk and seen her staggering around. The hotel staff would be familiar with the construction zone and the fact that at that hour nobody would be working there.

Also, what is the significance of the video where KJ can possibly be seen in the mirrored glasses? I keep seeing articles about her maybe sitting on the bed. It's not a mystery that she was there. This is obviously during the party in the room. What am I missing?

I'm with you on your question. I don't really understand the significance of the video and feel like I am missing something major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it is possible she went downstairs looking for food/drinks,this is why she went into freezer. Could have been hungry from partying or looking for alcohol.
Either she passed out or could not open door and then slept as she succumbed to hypothermia.
I remember when young and partying there would be munchies and the search for food, Denny's, 7-11, fast food.If she was seen on camera at front desk, she could have been going to ask about food.

My coworker asked me earlier if I heard about this case. I had not, so I googled it. The first article I brought up stated that the hotel's restaurant area was under renovations. Or they were adding a restaurant, so something like that. The freezer was on and cooling, but there was not yet any food in it.

I've been to hotels under renovations. There are usually little "pardon our progress" signs and those big plastic drop-cloth things taped up in various places. But no barriers keeping people out. It is possible, in her drunken state, that she just went past the drop cloths and found the freezer thinking it was a way out. Her mom said that she wouldn't have been able to open the doors, but she might have sat there for a while trying to get them open. We don't know.

I really didn't see anything unusual on the video of the girl with the glasses. It looked like a boring party with just a few people and it was coming to an end. The only reason people are trying to say it is spooky, is because they are looking for something and they know that hours later, the girl is going to be found in the freezer.

The friends were ready to go and they were in KJ's car. I think it was responsible of them to call KJ's mom and say "Look, we were at a party. KJ's drunk. We can't find her." What else could they have done to not make themselves look guilty?
Regarding the friends, I think it's pretty weird that they left in her car with her phone before calling.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...found-dead-rosemont-hotel-20170910-story.html

Curious to know how far the construction zone is from the lobby where she was seen on camera at 3:20am.

I read somewhere that one of her friends worked at the hotel but I don't know if that has been proven.

From your link to the chicago tribune article (BBM):
"It was not clear who located Jenkins' body, but Mack said the hotel was doing some construction in the area where she was found. Martin said she was told the freezer Jenkins was in was turned on and cold but was not being used to store food.

Ok, that's kind of a red flag. At this stage in the investigation, this information is usually known to the news media. LE found her? A hotel employee found her? That's very suspicious. Who found her in the freezer and when was she found?

In the earlier link from Fox News Reporter Anita Padilla's report on Facebook this morning, she stated that the hotel needs to give police all the video tapes, so they can review them. It sounded like the hotel hasn't given investigators everything they asked for. (Padilla's husband is an LEO, so he helps her review the information on these cases).

Is the hotel also not revealing who found Kenneka's body in the freezer? Are there conflicting stories?

Here's the latest article from Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ns-hotel-freezer-timeline-20170912-story.html

It has a timeline of what the news media knows of what happened. Here are some key times, more info at link

• 1:30 a.m. Saturday. Jenkins' sister speaks to Jenkins by phone. The family says that's the last time they hear from her.

• 1:36 a.m. Saturday. A livestream video on Facebook appears to show the hotel room on the ninth floor where the party is being held. The video — which has gotten more than 4 million views — features a woman in mirrored sunglasses talking to the camera. Reflected in her glasses is the other side of the hotel room, where Jenkins appears to be sitting.

• 3:20 a.m. Saturday. Jenkins is seen on surveillance video "staggering" drunk near the front desk, authorities tell Martin.

• 4 a.m. Saturday. Jenkins' friends call her mother to say they lost track of Jenkins at the hotel. The friends say they are in the car Martin lent her daughter for the night, and they have Jenkins' cellphone, according to Martin.

At the beginning of this case I assumed LE found her body.
Hmmm....

So, did a hotel employee discover her ?

And didn't the person to find Kenneka wonder why the freezer was turned on in an area closed to the rest of the hotel-- and an empty freezer at that ?
So it shouldn't have been turned on at all !

I don't blame her family for wanting to know more. I know I would.

Re. the sm chatter.... many times people just like a conspiracy , or are just running their mouths.
So this may be nothing more than what LE say it is.

But imo it's weird --if this was a tragic accident, why are so many people making accusations ?
It's as if her 'friends' know a lot more about what happened to her. Like a secret that no one can keep b/c people are blabbermouths.
Sometimes where there's smoke.....

At the beginning of this case I assumed LE found her body.
Hmmm....

So, did a hotel employee discover her ?

And didn't the person to find Kenneka wonder why the freezer was turned on in an area closed to the rest of the hotel-- and an empty freezer at that ?
So it shouldn't have been turned on at all !

I don't blame her family for wanting to know more. I know I would.

Re. the sm chatter.... many times people just like a conspiracy , or are just running their mouths.
So this may be nothing more than what LE say it is.

But imo it's weird --if this was a tragic accident, why are so many people making accusations ?
It's as if her 'friends' know a lot more about what happened to her. Like a secret that no one can keep b/c people are blabbermouths.
Sometimes where there's smoke.....

From the Chicago Tribune story, it also seems some information has changed.

LE is not saying whether or not anyone else was in the video of her drunk near the lobby

Hotel backed off saying the freezer had already been turned on before the incident

They're also not saying whether her body showed any signs of trauma

Seems like everyone was in a rush to close this case as an accident, but it's being reviewed carefully now.

Here's the latest article from Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ns-hotel-freezer-timeline-20170912-story.html

• 3:20 a.m. Saturday. Jenkins is seen on surveillance video "staggering" drunk near the front desk, authorities tell Martin.

• 4 a.m. Saturday. Jenkins' friends call her mother to say they lost track of Jenkins at the hotel. The friends say they are in the car Martin lent her daughter for the night, and they have Jenkins' cellphone, according to Martin.

RSBM

So somewhere around 40 min between camera sighting her alone near the front desk and they call her mom. They very well could be telling the truth. Were they driving or just sitting in the car? They could have lost her then went to get into the car to wait for her to come.

Speaking for my youthful drunk self I probably would have looked down the hallway, lobby area and then went to the car to wait for her too.

RSBM

They very well could be telling the truth. Were they driving or just sitting in the car? They could have lost her then went to get into the car to wait for her to come.

I disagree, forty minutes may seem like an eternity to parents when looking for a child BUT forty minutes to the people involved here is nothing. Treading lightly here but that call came way too quick, how did they know she just wasn't taking a break, hooking up, just talking, a gazillion things so waste forty minutes.

That call is really telling IMO

I disagree, forty minutes may seem like an eternity to parents when looking for a child BUT forty minutes to the people involved here is nothing. Treading lightly here but that call came way too quick, how did they know she just wasn't taking a break, hooking up, just talking, a gazillion things so waste forty minutes.

That call is really telling IMO

So I understand where you are coming from. I also feel something is up just based off the SM going crazy, why would their friends automatically start accusing foul play unless they knew there was some preexisting tension/fight etc.

I just disagree that possible drunk teenagers would search very much in a hotel when there is seeming not many places to look.

As an adult I would look hallway, lobby, restaurant/bar if it was still open, pool area then go sit in the car and wait. All of that would literally less than 15 minutes walking around I would think maybe 20. Then sitting in the car waiting for 10 min or so.

It fits MY timeline of what I would do in that exact circumstance.

But as I said I def think something is hinky.

Sorry but thoughts of a graphic nature keep popping into my mind......

I believe her mother wasn't allowed to see Kenneka's body. Not sure why, or what the rules are for that.

If she was hit over the head and bruised, or suffered other injuries -- freezing should keep a lot of evidence intact, correct ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member