UNSOLVED NC - Wilkes Co, Photo of Gagged Woman Tied To Chair, Circa 1970s or Early 80s

Unless he developed the slide himself, that was back in the day where you took your film someplace to be developed.

Wouldn't the person doing that chore alert LE? Or is that hoping on my part.

eta definitely looks like a speaker. Had the same style back then.

Do you know what is behind her neck area on that wall? I see a lever. Some type of vent?

eta the window frame piques my interest. Who had vinyl windows back in the 70's? There is also paneling on the wall. Almost looks like the interior of a mobile home.

The item in the window is an African/ Jamaican/Carribean wooden statue

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Wow. I think she actually DOES look like Angela Hamby. She has the same nose type/shape, IMO. In all of Angie's pictures her eyebrows are well-groomed but if she had been held for a time they would grow out like that and I think Angie's brows are the same shape. Can anyone do an overlay or side-by-side? TIA.

hamby_angela2.jpg
hamby_angela3.jpg
hamby_angela4.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hamby_angela.html

Angie's thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...la-Gray-Hamby-20-Wilkesboro-29-Oct-1982/page3

Is there anything that definitively dates this picture to the 1970's and not the early 80's?

I posted a link to this on Angela Hamby's thread.

NC NC - Angela Gray Hamby, 20, Wilkesboro, 29 Oct 1982

I don't know what to make of the girl in the pic. She doesn't appear "emotionless" like she's drugged or in captivity or anything like that. But she doesn't look like she's (intentionally) posing for a weird photo-shoot, either.

Wow. I think she actually DOES look like Angela Hamby. She has the same nose type/shape, IMO. In all of Angie's pictures her eyebrows are well-groomed but if she had been held for a time they would grow out like that and I think Angie's brows are the same shape. Can anyone do an overlay or side-by-side? TIA.

hamby_angela2.jpg
hamby_angela3.jpg
hamby_angela4.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hamby_angela.html

Angie's thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...la-Gray-Hamby-20-Wilkesboro-29-Oct-1982/page3

Is there anything that definitively dates this picture to the 1970's and not the early 80's?

I don't think she looks anything like Angie.

When I first saw the picture of gagged woman I was thinking it was from the early 80's! I don't think she resembles any of the other women in the other pics posted

Angela Hamby's hair is listed as dark blonde and eyes bluish green!

most women will pull their hair forward like that when they know they are taking a picture. i don't think she is in distress at all.

Let's face it, if she was really abducted, brought into an apartment or trailer home, tied up and gagged with the biggest gag in history, I would tend to think that cigarette pack would have fallen out in the shuffle, and don't think her hair would look newly brushed and perfect either.

provided the person isn't a catfish/troll using a fake profile

No, the ex-wife isn't the woman in the photo. She originally contacted me on facebook, so I know what she looks like.

she might not have been in distress when the photo was taken ... playing along with the joke
but perhaps things turned ugly afterwards

most women will pull their hair forward like that when they know they are taking a picture. i don't think she is in distress at all.

Let's face it, if she was really abducted, brought into an apartment or trailer home, tied up and gagged with the biggest gag in history, I would tend to think that cigarette pack would have fallen out in the shuffle, and don't think her hair would look newly brushed and perfect either.

I think it's impossible to establish whether the pic is real based on the woman's facial expression - this could be her amused face, her annoyed face, her scared face, there's no way to know. Also, her face may have been captured mid-movement, mid-blink, etc distorting her expression.

I see similarities with Amy Billig but I think the nose of this woman is broader at the tip than Amy's is.

I find the scenario intriguing but I also think that there's every chance this woman is still alive - perhaps she was a sex worker or a girlfriend pandering to a client/boyfriend's fetishes.

The background given on the image does definitely allow for the possibility that the woman was a victim of foul play, but without maybe knowing a more defined timeframe it's tricky to do more research. I checked on Namus for women 25-40 missing throughout the 70s with brown hair and brown eyes but no one jumped out at me.

If she were freshly abducted... I could see someone wrapping that thing around her head and taking the pic before she knew to struggle (i.e. her hair/make-up being out of sorts).

Your mention of the cigarettes made me think that, if she were indeed a hostage, they wouldn't look like they do. They're clearly in a "soft pack" (paper) as opposed to a "hard pack" (cardboard box). I'm a chain smoker and I hate soft-packs. If I have one of those in my shirt pocket, even while sitting still and not moving around much at all, half of them will be broken within a couple hours. The ones in the pic don't look like they've been involved in any kind of movement, let alone assault.

But again, if he'd just "caught" her... Who knows?

I see the resemblance with the Billig girl

If she were freshly abducted... I could see someone wrapping that thing around her head and taking the pic before she knew to struggle (i.e. her hair/make-up being out of sorts).

Your mention of the cigarettes made me think that, if she were indeed a hostage, they wouldn't look like they do. They're clearly in a "soft pack" (paper) as opposed to a "hard pack" (cardboard box). I'm a chain smoker and I hate soft-packs. If I have one of those in my shirt pocket, even while sitting still and not moving around much at all, half of them will be broken within a couple hours. The ones in the pic don't look like they've been involved in any kind of movement, let alone assault.

But again, if he'd just "caught" her... Who knows?

Interesting - so if she were a smoker would she even put a soft pack in her shirt pocket? Do any smokers do that? Or did he put them in there?

My grandmother smoked soft pack pall malls and she always kept them in her shirt pocket! Same kind of Shirt too!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back