Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, let's put some new info and old together. Joseph is an Armed Private Security Supervisor and his friend Javier is "deployed" to Japan currently (would that make him military? Hmmm..). Joseph and Javier stayed at an Air B&B together 2 weeks before JO and RN disappeared. Originally, the story was that they were scouting out some trails in JTNP (according to JO's dad) but when Javier was finally contacted in Japan he said they never actually went hiking in JTNP, they just checked out some restaurants in 29 Palms. Story of JO and Javier in JTNP went away after that. But now the question is, what were JO and Javier ACTUALLY doing that trip? Could they have been providing security or working some mission that the public wasn't supposed to know about? Could the previous trip have put JO and RN in danger when they went back to JTNP? Where do the drugs come in?

Some more thoughts didn't the msm article about the three arrested in the shooting state that they said that two men had come to the house to collect a debt. Could JO and Javier have been those two men?

Actually the article said two people, not men.

JO and RN?

Yes most likely. Now the statement makes sense. I'm going to put a serious effort tomorrow into developing a timeline of events and places. There is something off. It is peculiar that Joseph rented this particular BnB 2 weeks before for 2 days with a guy named Javier - when Joseph reportedly went out that way - but according to a friend IIRC, they never made it outside of Palm Springs.

Something is amiss. How is this Javier guy conveniently in Japan? My hinky meter is going off the charts.
Agreed!! Is this Javier guy the same 1 JO scoped the scene out with prior to this"hiking trip"?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes both are the same guy.
Hmm something not sitting well with me. Especially web LE claims not a suspect so that they don't scare the suspect off into hiding [emoji848]

Hmm something not sitting well with me. Especially web LE claims not a suspect so that they don't scare the suspect off into hiding [emoji848]

I don't think he could be a suspect because he was in Japan when they went missing and seems to still be there based on the latest news story. He may have quite a bit of info, however, on JO's previous activities. JMO.

U.S. Marshals Service joins search for missing couple in Joshua Tree

JOSHUA TREE, Calif. - We've learned tonight the U.S. Marshals Service has joined in the search for two people who were last seen in Joshua Tree in late July.

Joseph Orbeso and Rachel Nguyen, disappeared, presumably in Joshua Tree National Park. Orbeso's father told News Channel 3's I-team reporter Karen Devine U.S. Marshals will send in a team of four agents to help with leads outside the park.
http://www.kesq.com/news/missing-hikers-spotted-outside-joshua-tree-national-park/623782662

BBM. Maybe those leads outside the park were NOT all dead ends. :thinking:

:rollercoaster:

U.S. Marshals Service joins search for missing couple in Joshua Tree

http://www.kesq.com/news/missing-hikers-spotted-outside-joshua-tree-national-park/623782662

BBM. Maybe those leads outside the park were NOT all dead ends. :thinking:
This is so bizarre. I do really hope those two are okay somewhere, but the fact that they've not contacted anyone makes me doubt it.
http://www.desertsun.com/story/news...air-missing-since-july-joshua-tree/687013001/
the U.S. Marshall's office is now involved in the investigation, he said, “and that's a good thing. ... They are starting from square one” in their probe.

Attachments

• 636415356314508502-Joseph-Orbeso-photos-from-FB.JPG
    636415356314508502-Joseph-Orbeso-photos-from-FB.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 320
I have nothing to add. I am sitting here reading with my mouth agape. Hard to let the facts speak when so few are reported. Not that I am faulting LE or the media in any way. But just wow.

I don't put a lot of stock in the sighting, and generally like occam's razor, but there are some interesting twists here for sure. I am on the fence.

I have nothing to add. I am sitting here reading with my mouth agape. Hard to let the facts speak when so few are reported. Not that I am faulting LE or the media in any way. But just wow.

I don't put a lot of stock in the sighting, and generally like occam's razor, but there are some interesting twists here for sure. I am on the fence.

My feelings exactly. This is truly strange.

The four different hallucinogenic drugs makes me think four different types - which screams dealer to me. Maybe they were collecting some of the hallucinogenic plant someone mentioned earlier?? Either way, I don't think of hallucinogenic drugs as something people usually become violent over given that they aren't generally physically addictive but I could be wildly mistaken. I definitely can't see them just leaving the drugs in the airbnb if they weren't planning to return. I'm stumped.

I feel pretty certain that the searchers would've found some sign of them beyond footprints if they truly got lost and perished in the park.

Looking at local news there, I was pretty surprised to see how much drug activity there appears to be around the park.

My feelings exactly. This is truly strange.

The four different hallucinogenic drugs makes me think four different types - which screams dealer to me. Maybe they were collecting some of the hallucinogenic plant someone mentioned earlier?? Either way, I don't think of hallucinogenic drugs as something people usually become violent over given that they aren't generally physically addictive but I could be wildly mistaken. I definitely can't see them just leaving the drugs in the airbnb if they weren't planning to return. I'm stumped.

I feel pretty certain that the searchers would've found some sign of them beyond footprints if they truly got lost and perished in the park.

Looking at local news there, I was pretty surprised to see how much drug activity there appears to be around the park.
JMO, I don't think 4 different drugs necessarily means dealer. One of my past boyfriends used to bring a variety of "this and that" along on vacation sometimes. It might be 3 or 4 different variations of stuff similar to ecstasy for instance. The market of new and not yet illegal substances is always evolving and he liked to experiment.

There is just something about the witness that for me doesn't come off as genuine. "I saw their picture and I thought oh great, that's them". I can't really put my finger on it, I just smell BS. He saw the paper August 4th and went right way to file his report. I wonder if LE totally discounted his sighting.

"Wamhoff recalls seeing Orbeso and Nguyen arrive at the Airbnb across the street from his house the night of Thursday July 27th, the day they went missing. He tells Devine shortly after they arrived another couple showed up and the four of them were in the house until the following Tuesday, August 1st."

It doesn't add up really. According to Wamhoff, JO and RN were at this house for 6 days at least. That would get pretty pricey. A subsequent investigation revealed that they were not there, or at least no sign they had been there at that time. How is this guy remembering it wrong, remember seeing RJ when it was only JO and the Javier guy two weeks before? Why was the witness fixated on these people to begin with? Who was the 4th person? Why didn't Javier tell about the BnB and say they only visited restaurants in Palm Springs? Relatively speaking, Palm Springs is really not close to the BnB. It seems too coincidental for these two visitations to happen and now they have disappeared.

The footprints found deep in the canyon are what hold me back on this new info. Unless they really weren't their footprints and this was one big red herring. I have to note that the Maze Loop trailhead is the very first actual stopping point inside the park. So if if someone wanted to ditch the car fast, that would be a good place to do it. The only problem with that is a neighbor saw them leaving before 6 am so at least then is proof they were ok. But there is also that troubling ping on that tower very far outside of the park, and yet closer to the former BnB.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/583...f58f73f94!2m2!1d-116.3205326!2d34.1174214!3e0

It seems to me this airbnb sighting would be easy to verify via the owners records and interviewing whoever rented the place.

I know one of the places(can't remember which) indicated the owner was not living nearby so I guess it's possible they used the key code JO got from when he and Javier stayed there. They may have seen it was available via airbnb. That would be a little extreme but anything is possible.

Either way, it makes little sense that they left all their stuff at the other airbnb. Unless they are trying to fake their own deaths/disappearances.

It doesn't add up really. According to Wamhoff, JO and RN were at this house for 6 days at least. That would get pretty pricey. A subsequent investigation revealed that they were not there, or at least no sign they had been there at that time. How is this guy remembering it wrong, remember seeing RJ when it was only JO and the Javier guy two weeks before? Why was the witness fixated on these people to begin with? Who was the 4th person? Why didn't Javier tell about the BnB and say they only visited restaurants in Palm Springs? Relatively speaking, Palm Springs is really not close to the BnB. It seems too coincidental for these two visitations to happen and now they have disappeared.

RSBM. The witness claims he saw RN and JO with another couple. We don't know who that other couple would be if the witness is correct. The other man in Aug can NOT be Javier because he was in Japan. Police DID verify that the house was rented by other people. It's possible that two couples stayed there and one happened to look like RN and JO. It's also possible that the unknown couple rented it and RN and JO came to visit them there on the day prior to going missing in the park and the witness is just confused on which days he saw them. JMO.

Also, Javier did not claim they went to Palm Springs. Here is what was said after LE contacted Javier in Japan:
Orbeso and another friend had visited the Joshua Tree area a couple of weeks ago, and Messaros had been trying to contact that friend to learn if Orbeso had mentioned any trails he planned to hike with Nguyen. Messaros said he was finally able to talk to the friend, who is now in Japan, but it turned out the two men had just driven on Twentynine Palms Highway, looking at restaurants and shops.
http://www.hidesertstar.com/news/article_2cf62e4c-7590-11e7-8e48-031b2ad967e7.html

I admit, the "looking at restaurants and shops" struck me as odd the very first time I heard it way back when. (I believe there was even some elaboration that the looking around was in anticipation of bringing RN there later, to see what was there ahead of time.) And now, seeing that phrase again, I am again wondering, "really?" Come on...

I'm reading back though the thread again and this when we first heard about the scouting trip:
A ping of Orbeso’s cellphone was recorded at 4 p.m. Thursday from a location inside the park. And Orbeso had been to the national park a couple of weeks ago to look at hiking trails. “He had been out here a couple weeks ago with another friend on a scouting trip, from what we’ve been told,” Messaros said.

Messaros has been trying to contact that friend to get an idea of where Orbeso might have been headed, but the friend is now in Japan and it has been difficult to get a hold of him.
http://www.hidesertstar.com/news/article_36ecaa0c-74cd-11e7-b21d-7f12f205cac2.html

Now that I look at this quote I am struck by something. The idea that JO and Javier had been to the park to "look at hiking trails" was in the reporter's words. The NPS official ONLY said it was a "scouting trip" and didn't mention anything about trails in that quote. Maybe JO and Javier were "scouting" something else. Given their professions, maybe they were scouting for a future op? :thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998