Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bag was distinctive according to this report and image. It looks big enough to have money in it, whether it is in the purse or not. Is it possible someone placed the purse back in her home after the abduction? Don't know why, but not much makes sense in this case.

attachment.php

Source: The West Australian. June 1988. Missing Julie, Murder 'Seems Certain'
Have you got a clearer shot of this?
I'm trying to find articles dated prior to the telephone call article, to determine if her father is mentioned, and thus if the relationship to her was common knowledge prior to the call being made, or not. Obviously this will determine if the caller had knowledge unknown to the general public or not.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Could the car of been washed off the groyne by a king wave coming in from the South West? Thus rolled sideways? Could it of been parked facing the beach, rather than the sea? Or is there damage to the driver's side also?

Could the car of been washed off the groyne by a king wave coming in from the South West? Thus rolled sideways? Could it of been parked facing the beach, rather than the sea? Or is there damage to the driver's side also?

The only time a wave could have been big enough imo was the first night PD .
The swells direction was west-norwest too .
See red line on direction graph .
It hovers around 280-300 degrees .
But that doesn't mean that freak random direction waves didnt smash into the nose of the groyne .
6661a3fd880595bf36e8203388b254ec.jpg

It would be interesting to know when first contact was made about sighting the car, to which authority, the Surf Life Saving Club or the Police and by who. I'd also be curious to know if it was senior SLSC members who first floated the car crusher theory or more junior members, this seems to be imo somewhat of a red herring.

If Julie's car was retrieved from the sea on the 22nd of June, I think it's possible even likely that the Fiat was actually seen before that date and reported.

Verification that there actually was a car in there first, inquiries such as identifying the registered owner would likely have been attempted to be made prior to hauling it out. A team of police divers assembled, a retrieval vehicle and notifications to ready accident investigators, forensics and organisation of where the car was to be taken etc., These things take time and I'm not certain all this was organised on the same day the car was first sighted and the report made it's way to the relevant authority to take charge.

If the Fiat was involved in an accident, could it be possible a tow truck driver somehow placed the car into the ocean?

Also, the Fiat would have been difficult to see, being coloured grey and the weather conditions.

I'm trying to find articles dated prior to the telephone call article, to determine if her father is mentioned, and thus if the relationship to her was common knowledge prior to the call being made, or not. Obviously this will determine if the caller had knowledge unknown to the general public or not.

Hi Peterdavo- JC dissapeared at 12.30 am on Monday 20th June 1988, apparently there is an article in 'The Daily News' on TROVE dated 23rd June interviewing her Father stating her Mother had passed away. I can't open TROVE for some reason to search . Phone call was on the following Monday and there was a more detailed article in the same ?? newspaper that day. Maybe you could look. Thanks.

If the Fiat was involved in an accident, could it be possible a tow truck driver somehow placed the car into the ocean?

Also, the Fiat would have been difficult to see, being coloured grey and the weather conditions.

My apologies if any family members happen to read this post, it’s purely speculation, in order to theorize what possibly happened to Julie…

Perhaps if JC was involved in an accident, the other vehicle may have been a tow truck driver. Perhaps who was in a hurry to attend an accident, and ploughed into JC - instantly killing her.

If he’d had a few drinks, and was over the limit, he may have wanted to rid of the car and JC. Perhaps in order to make it appear as though the car was driven into the water, the keys were placed in the ignition and lights turned on, as well as opening the driver’s door.

But that theory doesn’t explain what happened to JCs body and leather bag, which should have washed up – like the car seat.

It might be worth reading old newspaper articles, to see if anything else happened in the area.
These are only my thoughts and opinions.

Yes CV it might have been difficult to see .
The drone pictures really show that .
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13693697

IMO the Fiat must have come down one of the access roads either side of main building. This would have sent it straight in the direction of the pylon. It could have landed on its roof in the water and belted up against the pylon as the tide tried to take it out. maybe the tide did though manage to take JC and the seat out. It was winter, not many people around and the water may have been a bit murky. So the Fiat may not have been seen straight away. As for Tyre marks, a high tide could have erased them.
To me this is the only plausible explanation, every other scenario is just too complicated.
What we need to know is, did the divers find any glass from the windows of the fiat in the water? Wouldn't the Police have stated they found glass? Where is the glass?
If she was 'accosted' , her body could have been left somewhere else. We still need to know why Cottesloe? Didn't she live in Fremantle? Cottesloe is not on her way home and certainly not in the direction of the CSK's home. Was the Scarborough night club open during this time? Can't remember its name (Club Atlantis/ Club A )??. Could she have been heading there?

Hi Peterdavo- JC dissapeared at 12.30 am on Monday 20th June 1988, apparently there is an article in 'The Daily News' on TROVE dated 23rd June interviewing her Father stating her Mother had passed away. I can't open TROVE for some reason to search . Phone call was on the following Monday and there was a more detailed article in the same ?? newspaper that day. Maybe you could look. Thanks.
Zedx,
I've had a look in Trove, and unable to locate anything with the name Cutler.

Daily news article on Monday 27th June "Father Fears Worst".
The West Australian article on Tuesday 28th "Caller Claims She Is Missing Woman" states call was received yesterday afternoon.
Call made to the West the same afternoon JCs father was front page on the daily news so well known prior.
Ive posted these previously with difficulty & still have issues with attachments so unable to repost. Details are correct.

This is the only TROVE article I can find...

Fri 11 Oct 1991 - The Canberra Times (ACT : 1926 - 1995)

Novel search ploy

PERTH: WA police are trying a new way to find a missing woman — printing her photograph on shopping dockets.
In an eight-week test, dockets will carry a photograph of 22-year-old Julie Cutler, of Fremantlc. Julie Cutler disappeared in mysterious circumstances on June 21, 1988.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/r...rds=&requestHandler=&dateFrom=&dateTo=&sortby

I couldn't find it on Trove.
Only found these, if they're of any use to anyone.
Weather 20/6/1988
[video=twitter;919788695175098368]https://twitter.com/petedavo_au/status/919788695175098368[/video]
Ship lost in heavy seas off Perth in June 1988
[video=twitter;919792512100741120]https://twitter.com/petedavo_au/status/919792512100741120[/video]
Survivors of Ship that broke in two off Perth in June 1988 rescued
[video=twitter;919792969477103621]https://twitter.com/petedavo_au/status/919792969477103621[/video]

This is the only TROVE article I can find...

Fri 11 Oct 1991 - The Canberra Times (ACT : 1926 - 1995)

Novel search ploy

PERTH: WA police are trying a new way to find a missing woman — printing her photograph on shopping dockets.
In an eight-week test, dockets will carry a photograph of 22-year-old Julie Cutler, of Fremantlc. Julie Cutler disappeared in mysterious circumstances on June 21, 1988.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/r...rds=&requestHandler=&dateFrom=&dateTo=&sortby
Yep saw that too.
Did you see these?

22 Jun 1988 –Woman was to face charge (Vanessa Devlin) - The Canberra Times (ACT : 1926 - 1995)*http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article101990595*via @TroveAustralia

29 Jul 1991 - Body found near road (Kerry Turner) - The Canberra Times (ACT : 1926 - 1995)*http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article122374093*via @TroveAustralia

I posted about this before but I need to say it again -

IMO the fact the BLF was missing it's rego plate is suspicious.

IMO the perpetrator removed the rego plate before sending Fiat out to sea. Thus slowing down any police investigations to properly identify the lost car.

What do other sleuths think about the missing rego plate?

Did it fall off in the ocean?
Or get removed?
By the perpetrator or by the cops?

Posts are purely my own opinion unless otherwise stated with source links. All my original text and images remain exclusively my personal copyright.
[emoji317][emoji317][emoji317]

It would be great to get a look at the front of the car to see if both plates were missing. An old car, likely the screws holding the plates on were weakened so the back one may have worked itself off.

If both plates were missing from the car and not found by police search I think that might strongly indicate foul play in Julie's disappearance, the offender involved directly in sinking the Fiat to obliterate evidence and investigators might have/should have been quicker to call it.

IMO Julie wasn't in the car when it went into the sea.
I posted about this before but I need to say it again -

IMO the fact the BLF was missing it's rego plate is suspicious.

IMO the perpetrator removed the rego plate before sending Fiat out to sea. Thus slowing down any police investigations to properly identify the lost car.

What do other sleuths think about the missing rego plate?

Did it fall off in the ocean?
Or get removed?
By the perpetrator or by the cops?

Posts are purely my own opinion unless otherwise stated with source links. All my original text and images remain exclusively my personal copyright.
[emoji317][emoji317][emoji317]

The bag was distinctive according to this report and image. It looks big enough to have money in it, whether it is in the purse or not. Is it possible someone placed the purse back in her home after the abduction? Don't know why, but not much makes sense in this case.

attachment.php

Source: The West Australian. June 1988. Missing Julie, Murder 'Seems Certain'

Does anyone know if her drivers licence was in her purse?

Is that June 25 1988 article pic of the old dears on the beach taken on Cott Beach?
if yes -
What are the structures in the background?
Is that the Surf Life Saving club rooms in the top left?
if yes to clubrooms, means the ladies probably swam really close to the groyne.
And therefore the ladies were NO where near the location of the submerged Fiat.
Assuming of course the Fiat was submerged directly out from where it was recovered.

Hence IMO the ladies would not have swam over or around Fiat.
Therefore even less chance of spotting an underwater grey coloured car.
Even more so because I don't see the ladies wearing goggles in the pic!!!!!

The image of the "bobbies", older lady swimmers is not the image with the tow truck, although was probably taken that week.

It's been pointed out before that the Cott SLSA club rooms is the building on the top left of image. There is a long winding path that leads from the club rooms down the hill to access the beach near the out of the image to the far left. There were no tracks leading from the clubrooms to groyne.

The ladies did not use the club, they weren't members and would either go home in their cars in car park with towels or dressing gowns or get dressed in public change rooms where the boat shed is.
"Bobbies" and the other group of swimmers reported in the article on 25th June 1988 in the SMH (pp 206, 207) swam or bobbed around mid beach.

Others swam to the groyne and back around pylon with googles, while others surfed or paddled skis launched mid beach etc.

attachment.php

Tows for police are done by outside professional contractors, although divers are most probably water police. Tide was coming in all night, high tide at 10.00 am. You can see wet sand and tide going out again, so likely to be around midday or afternoon. I don't know of any tow vechcles that are not 4WD. This one has a boom winch on it and probably cable to winch the Fiat in with.

Attachments

• JC_Car_beachimage_tracks.jpg
    JC_Car_beachimage_tracks.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 100
Does anyone know if her drivers licence was in her purse?
Hilo
That's a good question. I'm not sure if we had the plastic coated driver's licenses back then. Like the ones we've got now.

Yes Xyz , because many news reports say that the keys were in ignition when found, and turned on aswell .
The key in boot is most likely to have gone in as part of / during the retrieval process .
Jmo

There were no reports that said the keys were in the ignition. However, the newspaper reports repeated that the ignition and the lights were turned on. The key may have already been in the boot or removed to check the boot before the Fiat was fully retrieved and righted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993