MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, Panola County, Dec 2014 #3 *MISTRIAL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are entitled to your opinion, however mine is different.

When Jessica was asked who did this to her and what happened, I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that she said “CAR WRECK”, not Derrick or Eric so unfortunately, the EMR's misunderstood what Jessica said. This is why Jessica was not able to provide a last name for Eric or Derrick - she said "CAR WRECK".

In the timeline provided by the Clarion-Ledger, Jessica and Quinton drove circles on the backroads in Jessica's car from 10:15 - 10:47 am the day her car caught on fire.
According to Wikipedia, performing the doughnut maneuver can be hazardous. Strain is placed on the vehicle's suspension and drivetrain which may result in mechanical breakdown with loss of control. Tires are subject to severe wear which may result in a sudden loss of pressure or blowout. How long had Jessica been making doughnuts in her car? The way her vehicle was found looks like she lost control of her vehicle.

Was Jessica's vehicle thoroughly inspected and cleared of any mechanical problem that could cause an explosion?
After seeing the text messages between Jessica and Quinton, there clearly is no animosity between them; they were friends. He had no reason to harm Jessica.

Quinton lied and erased his text messages to and from Jessica because he was scared and confused, not because he is guilty..

Jessica was not murdered therefore Quinton is not guilty.

If a car accident was even remotely suspected, the defense should have called some witnesses to testify to that.

"Driving in circles" does not mean doughnuts.

I'll concede she may have said car wreck out of confusion and only waking up after being set on fire, therefore assuming she had wrecked.

She WAS murdered.

In what kind of car wreck does the vehicle occupant get doused with gasoline and set on fire?

It seems as though she was knocked unconscious and only being set on fire woke her. I don't believe she would have known who set her on fire because she was unconscious at the time (I am quite open to someone correcting me if I am wrong). Not to mention, if you have ever been knocked unconscious, you don't exactly have your wits about you when you come to. Nevermind that it was being set on fire which caused her to regain consciousness. To expect her to make any sort of sense in that situation is absurd. IMHO, of course.

RSBM

Driving around in circles doesn't mean literally driving in circles (aka donuts). It means driving around, not going to any place in particular and not parking in any one spot. Just driving around town.
You are correct. Something to kill time with. Old friends and myself would go be completely irresponsible in what we called our circle. If she was doing donuts certainly the road would have rubber proof all over the place.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

SteveP-when trial was on and I was reading your posts I "got" what u were saying. I was hoping it wasn't true due to such a horrific crime. Apparently issue is still alive and well. Sadly.

I was hoping it wasn't true, too, FWIW. I would have loved to have been wrong.

I know DA Champion has said that the state will definitely retry this case, but let's assume for a moment that QT decides another jury might convict him of first degree murder (although I think most of us doubt that), and he offers to plead guilty to a lesser charge. Or maybe the state fears another trial would result in yet another hung jury, or worse yet, an acquittal. What, if anything, do you think the state, and the Chambers family (assuming they have any say in the matter), would accept to keep this case from going to trial again? I believe after the first trial, they would accept a plea of guilty to 2nd degree murder, and the several years sentence that would accompany it. Interested in hearing others' thoughts. JMO

I would be good with anything SteveP. Anything to keep him off the streets. If he doesn't get life from this Trial I hope Louisiana goes ahead. Anything to keep him off the streets as I truly believe he will continue.There is a link somewhere on one of the threads which spoke to his time while incarcerated. He was trouble in Prison. Sometimes bad things happen in Prison. Just sayin.......

I have an idea. When Jurors vote NG they all get a turn housing the accused each for say 6 months :gaah:

I know DA Champion has said that the state will definitely retry this case, but let's assume for a moment that QT decides another jury might convict him of first degree murder (although I think most of us doubt that), and he offers to plead guilty to a lesser charge. Or maybe the state fears another trial would result in yet another hung jury, or worse yet, an acquittal. What, if anything, do you think the state, and the Chambers family (assuming they have any say in the matter), would accept to keep this case from going to trial again? I believe after the first trial, they would accept a plea of guilty to 2nd degree murder, and the several years sentence that would accompany it. Interested in hearing others' thoughts. JMO

I don't think Tellis would agree to a plea deal at this point. I think he has enough of the public on his side, and he believes they will stay on his side, through out another trial. All he needs is 1 or 2 people to refuse to vote GUILTY and he is scot free.

Weren't the keys found outside the car? How could it be a wreck then?

SBM

I am puzzled by your statement, “the judge looked at the charge sheet and without a word, sent them back to the deliberation room.” When did that happen? I’d be interested to learn about this; it might help me understand the bizarre behavior of this jury.

Here’s what I saw happen:

At 2:40 p.m. ET on Monday, after the jury entered the courtroom claiming to have a verdict, the judge asked the foreman if all jurors agreed on the verdict and the foreman replied yes. Another juror said “we all didn’t agree” and the jury was sent back to continue deliberations, but only after the judge told them that the decision must be unanimous.

All the attorneys were present when this happened and after the jury left the courtroom for further deliberations the judge asked the attorneys to meet with him in chambers.

Later, the jury once again entered the courtroom claiming to have a verdict. At 3:02 p.m. ET on Monday, the judge again asked the foreman if the verdict was unanimous and the foreman again said yes. The other 11 jurors were silent. The verdict form was passed from foreman to clerk to judge. The judge looked at it and passed it to the clerk to be read and she announced the not guilty verdict. The prosecution asked that the jury be polled and at least seven members of the jury said that their finding was guilty. The judge again told them that their verdict must be unanimous. The jury was re-read at least part of the jury instructions and then told by the judge to continue deliberations. The attorneys then approached the bench.

At 3:50 p.m. ET on Monday, the judge read to the jury an additional instruction. It said all 12 must agree in order to reach a guilty verdict, all 12 must agree in order to reach a not guilty verdict. If the jury cannot reach a verdict, they should inform the judge in writing.

At 5:00 p.m. ET on Monday, the judge told the jury that he understood that they had a report “reduced to writing” to give him. This report said that they could not reach a unanimous verdict and the judge declared a mistrial.

Speaking for myself, I think questioning the educational background of a group of 12 people who could do what this jury did is not unreasonable. They may all be good people, honest and kind. They may all be well-intentioned. But having been told explicitly multiple times that the decision had to be unanimous, for the entire jury to sit there silently when the foreman made the same mistake a second time (he not once but twice said that their "verdict" was unanimous when it was not) is so incredibly odd to me that I wonder what else beyond a lack of a basic education can explain it. This need not be considered an insult; very few kids control what schools they go to, and some schools are much worse than others. Some people with little education become wildly successful and admired. But this is true: some people are not well educated.

Tellis defense attorney Alton Peterson, in a video posted by local CBS news affiliate WREG in Memphis, said, “I think we all realized about the same time that there was confusion in the jury box.” When a defense attorney who gets a good result from a jury still feels comfortable calling the jury confused, you know something is extremely strange. (His partner Darla Palmer said after the mistrial was declared that "I characterize it as a victory.")

District Attorney John Champion said, "We felt like it was probably a misinterpretation of a jury instruction, so we added to one of the jury instructions to make it more simplistic." This, according to Therese Apel in The Clarion-Ledger. I understand this to mean that the judge and attorneys decided they had to really dumb it all down for this jury to begin to comprehend a simple rule.

There are various possibilities, but consider this one: at least one member of the jury understood what it means to have a unanimous verdict and at least one member of the jury, including the foreman, did not. If this was the case, then the jury couldn’t even hold discussions fruitful enough for the entire panel to agree on the correct rule governing what constitutes a valid verdict.

Another possibility is that the jury instructions only explicitly said that the verdict must be unanimous for a guilty verdict and the jurors concluded, quite erroneously, that no unanimity was required for a not guilty verdict. If that is what they thought, this does clearly point to a gap in education, since a basic understanding of civics and history would mean that a person would know about the unanimity requirement for a not guilty verdict. Even setting that aside, after the jury was specifically told that a verdict (not merely a guilty verdict) had to be unanimous, they were unable to understand this simple point and 20 minutes later tried a second time to offer a non-unanimous finding of not guilty. If this is how they applied themselves to something so simple, I am in agreement with those who have said that it is hard to believe that they could understand some of the complex evidence in the case and analyze what it meant.

Links:

Jury twice tries to offer a non-unanimous verdict, plus judge’s final jury instruction:

[video=youtube;bVdK9P-gE5g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVdK9P-gE5g[/video]

Jury announces it cannot reach a verdict:

[video=youtube;H78GfyL65M8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H78GfyL65M8[/video]

[Both videos above are archives of original live coverage by the LawNewz Network.]

Alton Peterson on jury confusion:
http://wreg.com/2017/10/16/verdict-watch-jury-resumes-deliberations-in-jessica-chambers-murder/

Darla Palmer says the mistrial is a victory:
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2017/10/very_unusual_mistrial_in_missi.html

John Champion on writing a new instruction for the jury:
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...ppears-confused-cant-agree-verdict/767413001/
I was watching it live stream on channel 13 Memphis as it was happening. That is how I saw it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I would be good with anything SteveP. Anything to keep him off the streets. If he doesn't get life from this Trial I hope Louisiana goes ahead. Anything to keep him off the streets as I truly believe he will continue.There is a link somewhere on one of the threads which spoke to his time while incarcerated. He was trouble in Prison. Sometimes bad things happen in Prison. Just sayin.......

While he may be guilty of crimes, I don't believe that people should go to jail for crimes that they didn't commit. What type of justice system would we have if we did that? Oh, wait. We do in a lot of places. I'm glad to see that justice was served in this sitiution.

You are entitled to your opinion, however mine is different.

When Jessica was asked who did this to her and what happened, I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that she said “CAR WRECK”, not Derrick or Eric so unfortunately, the EMR's misunderstood what Jessica said. This is why Jessica was not able to provide a last name for Eric or Derrick - she said "CAR WRECK".

In the timeline provided by the Clarion-Ledger, Jessica and Quinton drove circles on the backroads in Jessica's car from 10:15 - 10:47 am the day her car caught on fire.
According to Wikipedia, performing the doughnut maneuver can be hazardous. Strain is placed on the vehicle's suspension and drivetrain which may result in mechanical breakdown with loss of control. Tires are subject to severe wear which may result in a sudden loss of pressure or blowout. How long had Jessica been making doughnuts in her car? The way her vehicle was found looks like she lost control of her vehicle.

Was Jessica's vehicle thoroughly inspected and cleared of any mechanical problem that could cause an explosion?
After seeing the text messages between Jessica and Quinton, there clearly is no animosity between them; they were friends. He had no reason to harm Jessica.

Quinton lied and erased his text messages to and from Jessica because he was scared and confused, not because he is guilty..

Jessica was not murdered therefore Quinton is not guilty.

There is NOTHING that backs this up. NOTHING!

I think QT wasn't found guilty because the prosecution didn't prove their case. I've been reading some of the articles today and it's really interesting how certain details are spelled out yet others are not mentioned at all. For example, I can't find info on what towers QT's phone was pinging between 7-8. Is this info available?

If they were trying to prove QT was with Jessica a lot that day - done, I believe it. Trying to prove he killed her? I wouldn't have been able to vote guilty on that one. There isn't anything putting them together at the most crucial time that I have seen yet.

Theories must be based on facts in the case. Links from MSM or LE must be provided to back up those theories. If a link cannot be provided then the theory cannot be posted.

On another note, I strongly suggest moving away from the topic of race. Discuss the evidence in the case. Race was not brought into the courtroom or trial.

Theories must be based on facts in the case. Links from MSM or LE must be provided to back up those theories. If a link cannot be provided then the theory cannot be posted.

On another note, I strongly suggest moving away from the topic of race. Discuss the evidence in the case. Race was not brought into the courtroom or trial.
Message received, Harmony 2. My apologies.

Regards,
Clouseau

It's sad because (IMO) JC wasn't murdered because she was white. Her murder had to do with whatever disagreement or fight or whatever was taking place in her car with QT. And it's doubly sad the guy she was with in her last hours won't be judged for his actions, which are tracked through video and cell phone pings, and also has nothing to do with the color of his skin.
I agree, Madeleine74, it was never an issue for either side during the trial.

Regards,
Clouseau

I think QT wasn't found guilty because the prosecution didn't prove their case. I've been reading some of the articles today and it's really interesting how certain details are spelled out yet others are not mentioned at all. For example, I can't find info on what towers QT's phone was pinging between 7-8. Is this info available?

QT was with JC, sitting in her car, parked in the side yard near the driveway of his mother's trailer. The last prosecution witness (the awesome data analyst guy) covered every single place QT's and JCs phones were at all the various points that day, and which towers were covering those areas.

Around 7pm-7:15pm or so QT's phone was receiving txt msgs and/or calls from at least 2 of his "girlfriends." He ignored those as he was with JC. At some point after 7:15pm, and possibly closer to 7:30pm, QT turned off his phone altogether, which is why his phone didn't ping anywhere. He turned his phone back on to make an alibi text to JC's phone, after she had been left at Heron Rd, telling her he couldn't hang out with her that night because his girlfriend was coming to town. This is strange since he had *just* been with JC 4 minutes before. He then called the Louisiana girlfriend to see if she would come to MS to visit him that night. He said he was walking to his sister's house while he made that call to the Louisiana girlfriend (7:42pm or so) so he could borrow sister's SUV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88