MD MD - Karen Kamsch, 14, Pasadena, 1976

This is still very much a "cold case" because of the lack of DNA (that we know of)... sad. Hope her brother gets the closure he needs, and that she has her day in court. The parents shouldn't just get away with throwing their own child down a well.

This young child was missing in 1976. She was supposedly reported missing by her grandmother, and father. No records exist to confirm this as having taken place.

Fast forward thirty one (31) years. Her brother, who was twelve (12) when young Karen disappeared, contacts authorities to follow up on his missing sister. With no records, this prompts the opening of a missing person report.

Here we are, ten (10) years later, in 2017. There have been no updates on the POI that authorities were looking into. No updates on anything found at the 'well' that they processed.

It appears, IMO, that someone really has gotten away with disappearing, and murdering, this young girl. That really hurts my heart. It definitely sucks IMO.

From NBC's article (posted on this thread by Houston Mom):

[FONT=&amp]"In 2007, police searched the Pasadena home, including a deep, capped-off well on the property, led there by cadaver dogs. The well was partly filled with water, and police said it was unlikely that any remains would have been intact after 30 years. A police spokesman did say searchers found "certain things" that surprised them, but did not elaborate.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Police also said they had identified a person of interest in the case who was a "close associate or family member" of Karen's.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]But no arrest was made and the case has been quiet since."[/FONT]

I am willing to examine the very likely possibility that Karen's remains were disposed of in that well. I am also willing to venture a guess as to who did it. It has previously been mentioned on this thread, I believe, that Karen was having some problems with her family. The family was allegedly pretty strict. In many cases, a family can become deeply ashamed of a child who goes down the wrong path, particularly when said family comes from a different culture.

It's very telling that Karen's brother had to be the one to file a missing persons report decades later. I sense that Karen's parents told people they contacted police, when in actuality they did not.

Oh, and I also remember it being mentioned on Doe Network (which was then copied to this thread): "After talking to family members, police have reason to think Karen may have been abused. "

Possibly the UID that is commonly known as "The Cheerleader in the Trunk"? NamUs: https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/7477 and Doe Network profiles: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/431ufmd.html. She was found in the woods outside of Frederick, Maryland in a steamer trunk on 24 August 1982 and is believed to have died earlier that year to several years earlier. She is estimated to be 17-25 years old, had brown hair, and was believed to be between 5'0"-5'6" tall. Her nickname comes from a forensic anthropological study done on her remains that turned up evidence that she may have been involved in something like gymnastics or dance during her lifetime. She currently only has dentals available for comparison. Thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?33847-MD-Frederick-WhtFem-431UFMD-17-25-in-steamer-trunk-in-state-park-Aug-82.

Possibly the UID that is commonly known as "The Cheerleader in the Trunk"?

Good thinking... I believe that this particular UID is thought to have been around 20, at least from what has been bandied about on that thread - a young woman, rather than a young teenage girl. Remember, Karen was tiny; very short and slender. Not sure if she ever did any sports. Still, I would like to know if there has been a definitive rule-out.

Good thinking... I believe that this particular UID is thought to have been around 20, at least from what has been bandied about on that thread - a young woman, rather than a young teenage girl. Remember, Karen was tiny; very short and slender. Not sure if she ever did any sports. Still, I would like to know if there has been a definitive rule-out.

Karen was 14 at the time she went missing; if she was still alive she would have been 20 in 1982. It is believed that the Jane Doe likely died earlier in that year.

Karen was 14 at the time she went missing; if she was still alive she would have been 20 in 1982. It is believed that the Jane Doe likely died earlier in that year.

Are you suggesting that Karen may have lived for a few years longer, after disappearing at the age of 14? (BTW, I am not at all dismissive of this possibility.) Sadly, Gambrill State Park (where unidentified woman was found) is a bit of a dumping ground... I posted on a thread a few months ago - this summer - regarding remains (now identified as a young man missing from Montgomery Co.) that had been found in the park on the very day I left the park (was camping there the night prior). I suppose she could have been abducted and held for a few years; not allowed to go anywhere. Harder to hold a 14 y/o against his/her will... That "Jane Doe" found in Frederick was involved in some kind of athletic activity prior to death. Seems that Karen may have had little opportunity, if kidnapped, to engage in such activity. But I'm open to just about anything. This case has many layers!

Such a sad case, and if it wasn’t for her brother asking questions, no one would be aware she has been missing all these years.

Did the school ever ask why she never came back to school?

I'm sure that the school called the parents to report her truancy, only to be fed a bunch of crapola by the family. Probably told administrators at her school that she ran away, or something (she had before). They didn't have the best system/resources for following up on these things back in the day. They often didn't want to make the effort, or intervene in family affairs, particularly if it was a "problem" child... Also, remember, Karen was residing with her grandmother at the time and was getting into "normal teenage trouble" acc. to Doe Network (never was sure what exactly that meant). Grandma Olga probably had an inkling of what really happened to Karen, but she took that knowledge with her to the grave.

Update: Just remembered this interesting tidbit from Doe Network: "According to school officials Karen attended Brooklyn Park Senior High School through at least June 1976." But according to the Charley Project, her grandmother "told everyone" (neighbors? people at church?) that she went missing/ran away sometime that late fall or winter (end of 1976)... So, yeah, you mean to tell me that this girl was missing for a good chunk of the 1976-77 school year, and the actual date that her granddaughter disappeared just totally slipped the mind of the grandmother? That she realized Karen was missing after she didn't arrive at school, and left all her belongings/winter coat at the house? When she had not been present at school for quite some time, allegedly? Very fishy, even if she'd run away on other occasions.

I feel like I'm bombarding this thread lately, but here's a little more information that I'm not sure was previously posted:

From the Washington Post: [FONT=&amp]Police said it was determined that "during an unknown winter month in 1976, Olga Kamsch was called by school officials and told that Karen Kamsch was absent from school.

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Olga Kamsch responded to the residence and discovered that Karen Kamsch was not home," the statement said. "Upon checking the residence, Olga Kamsch discovered Karen Kamsch's personal belongings, along with her winter coat, were still in her room."

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Beatrice Hasenei, who has lived on Wishing Rock Road for more than 35 years, said the girl's grandmother, who has since died, had suddenly told her: " 'Karen is missing. We can't find her. She must have ran away,' or something to that effect. And through the years, I would ask: 'Olga, did anyone hear from Karen? And she said, 'No.' " Hasenei remembered Karen as "a very pretty girl."[/FONT]

From the Los Angeles Times: For more than 30 years, Tate Kamsch has wondered what happened to his older sister, the pretty girl whose stellar report cards put his to shame. His family always told him she had abruptly run away. He kept a picture of her near his bedside, hoping one day she might let someone know how she was doing. But when a recent Internet search produced no indication that authorities were looking into her disappearance, the 44-year-old contacted police. What he heard troubled him: They had no record that Karen Beth Kamsch was ever reported missing.

Last week, Anne Arundel County police disclosed that they were investigating what could prove to be a dark family secret -- that she might have been killed. Detectives have identified a "person of interest," whom they described as a close associate or family member. A week after Maryland police agencies and an FBI evidence collection team searched the Pasadena, Md., home where 14-year-old Karen Kamsch used to live with her grandmother, homicide detectives are asking the public to come forward with any information that could help explain her disappearance in the winter of 1976.

"This one is unusual," said Sgt. Rich Alban, a county homicide detective. "To have someone come forward, 31 years later, and ask us where his sister is and there's nothing to indicate she was ever missing -- it's like she fell off the face of the Earth." Karen Kamsch grew up in Brooklyn Park, Md., but was living with her grandmother, Olga Kamsch, on Wishing Rock Road in Pasadena at the time of her disappearance. She was described as a straight-A student, so sharp that she skipped sixth grade, and interested in art. But police alleged yesterday that she was also the victim of abuse.

No one answered at a Glen Burnie home listed as the most recent address for her father, George Kamsch. Karen's mother, whom police identified as Jean Diane Lee, lives in Henderson in Caroline County and could not be reached for comment. Olga Kamsch died in 1999. Lt. David Waltemeyer, assistant commander of the agency's criminal investigations division, said some family members were cooperating and some were not. "We have a person of interest we've spoken to and will speak further to," Waltemeyer said. "We think there's definitely a person out there who knows what happened and is living with a secret. If Karen's out there, she needs to be laid to rest."

One day in late 1976, school officials apparently notified Olga Kamsch that her granddaughter had not come to school. Personal belongings such as a winter coat were still in her bedroom. Though police said they were recently told that Kamsch's grandmother and her father called authorities and filed a missing-person report, no report could be found. About 14,000 juveniles are reported missing every year in Maryland, the majority of whom are runaways. They are more likely to be female, ages 14 to 17. But only about 150 cases have been open for five years or longer, said Carla Proudfoot, director of the Maryland State Police Center for Missing Children. When Kamsch vanished, many of the databases that investigators use today did not exist, and police were not required to file missing-persons reports. The state missing-children center was created by legislation in 1985.

"As you have police officers retiring and cases getting passed off, it's very possible that something could have fallen through the cracks," Proudfoot said. Jerry Nance, supervisor of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children's forensic assistance unit, said there were about half a dozen cases each year in which authorities became aware of a long-missing child whose initial disappearance went unreported. "And it usually starts the same way: A family member makes an inquiry," Nance said. "Some of them actually have some solvability factors. Just the fact that this has laid dormant for 30-some years doesn't mean that the police can't have a successful outcome to it."

Karen Kamsch apparently had run away several times, and the family assumed she had taken off for good. Neighbor Beatrice Hasenei, 84, said she remembered seeing a large number of cars parked outside the Kamsch home one day in the late 1970s. She said Olga Kamsch appeared to be crying. "I said, 'Do you need any help? Is something wrong?' and she told me that Karen ran away from home," Hasenei said in an interview last week. "But it seemed like there was no big deal made out of it at the time." Over the years, Hasenei said, she grew close to Olga Kamsch and occasionally asked about Karen. "She just said, 'No one has heard from her.' There was nothing to elaborate on, I guess," Hasenei said.

On Aug. 29, the Anne Arundel County Police Department executed a search warrant at the home on Wishing Rock Road, a secluded street between busy Routes 2 and 10. Five feet of debris were sucked out of a 20-foot well, and forensic anthropologists are reviewing the contents to determine whether there are human remains. "After 30 years, we would not expect to find obvious human remains," Waltemeyer said. He declined to elaborate on "other items" that were found among the debris. Though he said police had evidence suggesting that she was killed, police and family members were holding out hope that Karen Kamsch was alive.

"I just really want to know what happened to my sister. I hope she's still living and just wanted to get away from the whole situation," said Tate Kamsch, who lives in Ridgely, Caroline County. "It's always been in the back of my mind, but it's been, like, nobody mentions it." Asked by reporters whether he believes a relative knows what happened, Kamsch paused for several seconds. "More than likely," he said.

Are you suggesting that Karen may have lived for a few years longer, after disappearing at the age of 14? (BTW, I am not at all dismissive of this possibility.) Sadly, Gambrill State Park (where unidentified woman was found) is a bit of a dumping ground... I posted on a thread a few months ago - this summer - regarding remains (now identified as a young man missing from Montgomery Co.) that had been found in the park on the very day I left the park (was camping there the night prior). I suppose she could have been abducted and held for a few years; not allowed to go anywhere. Harder to hold a 14 y/o against his/her will... That "Jane Doe" found in Frederick was involved in some kind of athletic activity prior to death. Seems that Karen may have had little opportunity, if kidnapped, to engage in such activity. But I'm open to just about anything. This case has many layers!

(SurrealisticSlumbers's original post respectfully shortened by me.) I think it's entirely possible that Karen didn't die immediately after she went missing. She may have been abducted, killed by a family member, or might have even left on her own accord, decided not to return right away, and then fell victim to foul play. So far there hasn't been mention of Karen being involved in dancing or sports but it's possible that that came after she left as there is speculation that The Cheerleader In The Trunk may have been an exotic dancer by trade. (This could possibly explain her skeletal findings of being very physically active and that she likely wore high-heeled, pointed-toed shoes frequently.) A disturbing fact is that a number of runaways end up being sexually exploited/in the sex trade for survival as there are often few other resources available once they've left home and have no money or means of supporting themselves. There's no hard evidence to suggest that this (or anything else really) is what happened to Karen, but the fact that there's been no sign of her in 40 years wouldn't give the impression that she's still alive. There are just too many unknowns in this case.

When we used to be able to see the DNA status in NamUs I think they both had DNA in there. Also, Princess Doe had isotopes placing her in Arizona as a youth. I don't remember ever seeing Karen's info putting her outside of Maryland.

That comparison is a good one though.

When we used to be able to see the DNA status in NamUs I think they both had DNA in there. Also, Princess Doe had isotopes placing her in Arizona as a youth. I don't remember ever seeing Karen's info putting her outside of Maryland.

That comparison is a good one though.
I sent it as an email to law enforcement

I had to take a nice, long break from this thread. It's very depressing, not to mention frustrating that Anne Arundel Co. PD has been unable to discover more clues that would lead to an arrest, and the case is at a stand-still.

The surviving members of the Kamsch family who refuse to cooperate with LE remind me way too much of the Welch family in the Lyon sisters case. Certain members of that family seriously hindered the search for the girls' bodies and protected Lloyd Welch, Jr. for decades. Seems this is a trend amongst families who close ranks to protect the abuser / criminal. Sickening.

I hope that regardless of whether or not his sister's remains are ever found and laid to rest, Tate can somehow find a way move on with his life. He can take some comfort in the fact that, unlike his other family members, he really fought for his sister.

This case may or may not have been hindered intentionally by family members, but what you say regarding such hindrance or non-cooperation in other cases is very true. There are many examples of it, including the circumstances surrounding Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr. Also, look at the case of Kimberly Christine Mileo (missing from Maryland since June 1983).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back