WI WI - Evelyn Hartley, 15, La Crosse, 24 Oct 1953

I know I have read this story many times. This is an older post so I hope you see it. Could the reason she was not taking through the front was because it faced other houses where someone could have seen the struggle? I know that they took her down the street, but you know if there is a ruckus how some neighbors look out through the curtains to see what all the excitement is about. Just a thought.

Evelyn Hartley went missing while babysitting at the home of a University of Wisconsin-La Crosse professor. When the La Crosse Central High School sophomore didn't call her house at her normal time, her father grew concerned. When he drove over to the house he found the 20-month-old child inside the residence alone. His daughter was missing. Decades later, former District Attorney John Bosshard told the La Crosse Tribune paper that the investigation was never close to prosecuting someone. "My theory is a transient was involved and probably her body was disposed of in the wilderness around here somewhere," he said.

636222369433719416-Evelyn-Hartley.jpeg

http://www.postcrescent.com/story/n...ho-they-wisconsins-missing-children/98347286/

Just finished reading the whole thread on Evelyn. Breaks my heart that she is still missing and no one may ever know what happened to her.

I would just like to add, some speculate that the clothing that was found along the highway may have been staged. What if some of the crime scene was also?

There was also an earlier post on this thread about another crime commited in a nearby city and articles of clothing where found by another farmer or was this the same farmer who found the jacket? I will try to locate this post I mention.

I am abinaderus. I just saw this thread today. The FBI investigator (Browning) ultimately sent in on this case because of the local bungling/corruption said: "the investigators need to be investigated." I have read all the comments here. Hartley's body WAS found, in Clear Lake near Fairmont MN (straight down the interstate highway from LaCrosse where it was dumped later). A fisherman hooked her body (the fisherman said he SAW the body as he pulled it up, and that it was the body of a teenage girl). The fisherman kept a bobby pin with her hair on it (and gave it to the authorities), but left the body in the lake and phoned authorities. The area was then quarantined, the entire thing was then classified, and it was covered up - never a peep about the body that the fisherman found!

I will give the names of the two aforementioned people still living, but only to someone who will see this through to completion. The LaCrosse cops are worthless.

Other than that, Gaulthair and Peterson both died BEFORE the tape was located by the Prudential broker (named Andy). As for Hartley's wild side, she liked to party and she often went skinny-dipping at the municipal pool late at night. I know this from people who went with her.

Last, I repeat I know who the two people are who know the facts. One of them is the former owner of the shoes Tywee Peterson was wearing (that left the footprint in the Hartley's back yard), and the other is the former owner of the blue jean jacket Peterson was wearing (both the shoes and the jacket were found with Hartley's blood on them). I can also prove that the shoes belonged to who I say they do, and he is still alive.

I am abinaderus. I just saw this thread today. The FBI investigator (Browning) ultimately sent in on this case because of the local bungling/corruption said: "the investigators need to be investigated." I have read all the comments here. Hartley's body WAS found, in Clear Lake near Fairmont MN (straight down the interstate highway from LaCrosse where it was dumped later). A fisherman hooked her body (the fisherman said he SAW the body as he pulled it up, and that it was the body of a teenage girl). The fisherman kept a bobby pin with her hair on it (and gave it to the authorities), but left the body in the lake and phoned authorities. The area was then quarantined, the entire thing was then classified, and it was covered up - never a peep about the body that the fisherman found!

I will give the names of the two aforementioned people still living, but only to someone who will see this through to completion. The LaCrosse cops are worthless.

Other than that, Gaulthair and Peterson both died BEFORE the tape was located by the Prudential broker (named Andy). As for Hartley's wild side, she liked to party and she often went skinny-dipping at the municipal pool late at night. I know this from people who went with her.

Last, I repeat I know who the two people are who know the facts. One of them is the former owner of the shoes Tywee Peterson was wearing (that left the footprint in the Hartley's back yard), and the other is the former owner of the blue jean jacket Peterson was wearing (both the shoes and the jacket were found with Hartley's blood on them). I can also prove that the shoes belonged to who I say they do, and he is still alive.

I also wonder if you told law enforcement about this? How long have you had this information?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

According to this article, a body was found and they suspected it could be linked but never confirmed?

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm176/pleasestandby2/bodyfound_zpsiwdzgtpz.jp

Hello all, new here. Born in La Crosse, lived there for 25 years. Grew up not too far from Hoeschler Drive. My dad recalls taking part in the searches following Evelyn's disappearance.

I found a couple interesting footnotes:

-The Hartley's memorial in Nebraska
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=78428168

- Appears Evelyn's older brother, Thomas, passed away last year. You can see a brief comment from Carolyn (younger sister) regarding her brother.
http://tributes.canberratimes.com.a...?n=thomas-hartley&pid=178097734&referrer=3096

That article linked be the artful detective is from the Associated Press, why is there doubt about it?

Interesting to see Evelyn's birthdate as Nov 22, 1938. It has always been listed on sites as Nov 21, 1937. I am inclined to believe the headstone. Nice she is on there.Thanks for the links, interesting to know about Thomas.Only Carolyn is left now.

Thing is, if Nov 22, 1938(as on the headstone) is her birth date, she was still 14 when she vanished, yet she was in her junior year in high school(I have seen the yearbooks). I realize she was said to be very smart, so maybe she skipped a grade or two along the line, and may have started school early(at age 4 possibly).Kindergarten was not as common then, many started at 1st grade.Who knows though, her family was very educated and father a professor, so that may have something to do with it too.
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=78428168

Have been reading here for the last few days now about the case, or non case in so many ways.

I do not in any way think her father needs to be under suspicion. It's very understandable why he went to the house when she did not call and then they had no answer when they tried.

I also do not think she was targeted. If that was the case, then why did the police find evidence of other homes where windows had been tested?

Unfortunatly, the home she was in had a window that was not secure.

We know that some homes did have people in them because her cries were heard. I'd be interested to know if any of the homes where entry had been tried,were also homes where people were at home during this time, with a car parked outside etc.

There is such a short amount of time from when the family left for the game, and when cries were heard. Could someone have seen the couple leave with their older child, and then just assume the house was empty?
Could whoever broke in possibly have already entered the basement and just waiting for the people to leave, then went upstairs and surprised Evelyn?

So many years and still so many unanswered questions.

Evelyn is in my thoughts today, 64 years ago today she disappeared. I hope one day soon she is found and can be laid to rest with her parents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back