FL - Manhunt in Tampa after 4 slayings in 5 weeks, Oct-Nov 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
anything else the victims have in common besides young in their 20-30's?
Why was the woman's body hid but not the young men? That stands out to me as strange. Did he know her but not the guys?

Maybe so.

Maybe just because the location in which he encountered her (plus her smaller stature) made it convenient to hide the body, whereas that wasn't the case with the other two? (I don't know the layout of the neighborhood so it's just a guess).

Maybe (and possibly in combination with the above)because she was the furthest away from where he lived, and he hid her so he had more time to get away.

It's a great question, and there are many possibilities.

Maybe she was sexually assaulted also? And that hasn't been released? Wonder if he ordered her at gunpoint into that field. This person needs to be found quickly.

Maybe so.

Maybe just because the location in which he encountered her (plus her smaller stature) made it convenient to hide the body, whereas that wasn't the case with the other two? (I don't know the layout of the neighborhood so it's just a guess).

Maybe (and possibly in combination with the above)because she was the furthest away from where he lived, and he hid her so he had more time to get away.

It's a great question, and there are many possibilities.

It doesn't match the disorganized "gun then run" style though to stop and try to hide her.

anything else the victims have in common besides young in their 20-30's?
Why was the woman's body hid but not the young men? That stands out to me as strange. Did he know her but not the guys?

And she was shot 5 times according to a homeowner who heard the 5 shots ( and recognized them as gunshots). I think he took Monica to the vacant lot where she was found. Sadly, Monica had had a troubled life at times ( some drug arrests), I have wondered if he/she actually knew Monica somehow. It isn't clear where Monica was actually living when she was killed.

I read about a murder case involving a few victims. The killer knew one of the victims, and she was his target. He killed the others to cause confusion in his motive. Can't recall the case, but I alwys thought it was so devious.

And she was shot 5 times according to a homeowner who heard the 5 shots ( and recognized them as gunshots). I think he took Monica to the vacant lot where she was found. Sadly, Monica had had a troubled life at times ( some drug arrests), I have wondered if he/she actually knew Monica somehow. It isn't clear where Monica was actually living when she was killed.

interesting. Where the others shot 5 times also?
Was Monica from this neighborhood (lived her since childhood) I wonder.

Actually in my notes I believe I had the time of death for all 3 of the victims believed to be around 9:00 p.m. .. No time to post the info with sources now but will try later tonight.

Actually in my notes I believe I had the time of death for all 3 of the victims believed to be around 9:00 p.m. .. No time to post the info with sources now but will try later tonight.

still relatively early evening, not late. Possibly witnesses would be around and neighbors still awake. I find that pretty bold.

My impression is (or was, don't have a clue anymore) that this perp wanted/wants to make a statement (due to anger or some perceived revenge at something or other) and wanted the attention, hence to have the victims found right away. Instill fear in the neighborhood and watch the effects from the sidelines.

But Hoffa's circumstances don't fit, so I'm unsure about it. And why five times? Did she fight back?

It doesn't match the disorganized "gun then run" style though to stop and try to hide her.

True.

But I'm not convinced this is completely disorganized. Random/opportunistic, sure, but I get the sense this guy (I'm assuming it's a man) put at least some thought into how to avoid getting caught.

I'd call it more semi-organized, in some ways similar to those trail murders in Kansas City (and, if I remember correctly, they found out after the fact that guy had committed an earlier murder on a bus rider right as they got off the bus, after which he switched to more "secluded" areas on the trail).

Although they may just be keeping this out of public knowledge, they haven't mentioned ballistics matching between the victims, which suggests the possibility that different guns were used in each murder. And, IF the figure in the released video is in fact the suspect, the fact that he took off running on foot but slowed down to walking prior to getting out of the neighborhood, suggests that he had probably gotten rid of the gun prior to slowing down.

IF he used different guns that is definitely to me a sign of at least some degree of organization (and, incidentally, was what happened in the aforementioned Kansas City murders.)

But again, I'm just throwing darts here and could be very wrong. Hell, if there's no ballistics match, it's not inconceivable that Monica's murder is totally unrelated to the other two (although to be clear I do think they are all related).

Yeah if I remember correctly Ben was killed around 9pm and Anthony around 8 (or the other way around?), and it's not 100% confirmed what time Monica was killed but shots were heard sometime in the evening.

I do believe there is some significance to the time of day the murders occurred, and also possibly the fact they were all on weekdays.

My first thought was that the murderer lives in the neighborhood but works outside of it, and arrives back in the neighborhood (probably via bus!) at sometime in the evening. Commits a murder, then goes home for the night. And nobody he knows would think twice about his whereabouts because he's on his way home from work via public transportation.

True.

But I'm not convinced this is completely disorganized. Random/opportunistic, sure, but I get the sense this guy (I'm assuming it's a man) put at least some thought into how to avoid getting caught.

I'd call it more semi-organized, in some ways similar to those trail murders in Kansas City (and, if I remember correctly, they found out after the fact that guy had committed an earlier murder on a bus rider right as they got off the bus, after which he switched to more "secluded" areas on the trail).

Although they may just be keeping this out of public knowledge, they haven't mentioned ballistics matching between the victims, which suggests the possibility that different guns were used in each murder. And, IF the figure in the released video is in fact the suspect, the fact that he took off running on foot but slowed down to walking prior to getting out of the neighborhood, suggests that he had probably gotten rid of the gun prior to slowing down.

IF he used different guns that is definitely to me a sign of at least some degree of organization (and, incidentally, was what happened in the aforementioned Kansas City murders.)

But again, I'm just throwing darts here and could be very wrong. Hell, if there's no ballistics match, it's not inconceivable that Monica's murder is totally unrelated to the other two (although to be clear I do think they are all related).

I agree he is somewhat organized also.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/s...possible-killer-in-the-seminole-heights-video
Inside the body language of the possible killer in the Seminole Heights video

What you should pay attention to
SEMINOLE HEIGHTS, Fla. - It is the number one clue Tampa Police have made public in the Seminole Heights killings.

The surveillance video of a person walking near the location and around the same time the night the first victim, Benjamin Mitchell, was killed.
"Seems to be distracted with the phone and that could be a ploy to not draw attention to themselves," he says. "It looks like a casual stroll not like someone who's not nervous or someone who's done something wrong. My observation is he doesn't appear to be going to point a to point b with a purpose."

Purpose is exactly what Mullan says the killer did before the murders. Meaning just because his victims appear to be random, doesn't mean the killer acted on pure impulse.
And if you have surveillance cameras at your home you can register them with the Tampa Police Department. It essentially lets your cameras become part of the city wide data base of digital eyes
rbbm

Seminole Heights is most definitely foodie heaven! For the past several years, we periodically travel Across The Bay to dine at the award-winning restaurants on Florida Ave.
http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-d...ace-struggles-amid-killings-post-irma/2342092
Seminole Heights restaurants face struggles amid killings, post-Irma
Monday, October 23, 2017 4:52pm

Agreed. The way he pulls his phone out reminds me of my younger brother or even myself. The way the phone is pulled, you can tell they've got the muscle memory from doing it countless times.

interesting. Where the others shot 5 times also?
Was Monica from this neighborhood (lived her since childhood) I wonder.

No, I think one victim was shot once and the other victim three times ? No idea if Monica was from that neighb. I did notice that the homeowner who heard the 5 gunshots did not mention hearing any screams, so it seems like Monica was taken completely by surprise. the original report said that she had extensive chest damage, so she wasn't shot from behind, I guess.

No, I think one victim was shot once and the other victim three times ? No idea if Monica was from that neighb. I did notice that the homeowner who heard the 5 gunshots did not mention hearing any screams, so it seems like Monica was taken completely by surprise. the original report said that she had extensive chest damage, so she wasn't shot from behind, I guess.

horrible. :(

I read about a murder case involving a few victims. The killer knew one of the victims, and she was his target. He killed the others to cause confusion in his motive. Can't recall the case, but I alwys thought it was so devious.

I also wondered this. The case I was thinking of was the D.C. Sniper. The plan was to kill his ex and make it look like another "random" murder by a serial killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288