NJ NJ - Carolyn Majane, 15, Moorestown, 22 Aug 1975

Scriptgirl, I don't know if James Debardeleben was into teens or not, you may be correct. On the other hand, since the scary man who was frustrated because he couldn't get Raccoon to get in the vehicle with him was in a heightened state of rage, the age of the female could have been less important to him. He might have just wanted to grab a female, and hurt them. The easiest target would be a woman or teen out alone.

The babysitting job ruse that was used to lure Mary Ellen Fox of Mt.Holly NJ sounded like something Debardeleben would have done. He was in NJ in 1980 so it is not impossible he traveled there in 1975. Here is an excerpt about a crime he was convicted for in NJ:

On November 12th, 1980, DeBardeleben kidnapped Maria Santini, who was working as a clerk in New Jersey. He first robbed the cash register at gunpoint and then tied her wrists and ankles. He drove her to a residence where he stripped her and tied her hands and feet, then took pictures of her in provocative poses while he was dressed in women’s clothing. Although he groped her, he did not rape her. He then released her in a secluded area.

http://allthingscrimeblog.com/2014/...ke-debardelebens-actions-will-never-be-known/

There were supposed to be a bunch of photographs of women that were found in his storage unit, if i recall correctly.

Reactions: sub
Does anyone else know about the murder of Kim Montelaro. She was abducted from Paramus Park shopping center in New Milford, New Jersey on August 31, 1976. Her killer was found in a nearby town. He is currently incarcerated. http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/...up_for_parole_despite_familys_objections.html

Could he be responsible for more than one murder in NJ during that time period? He was only 16 when he preyed on Kim Montelaro.

Well, how far is New Milford from Moorestown? Did he have family or connections in Moorestown? Did anyone from Moorestown know him?

Well, how far is New Milford from Moorestown? Did he have family or connections in Moorestown? Did anyone from Moorestown know him?

Those are good questions, and I don't know if he had connections to Moorestown. The two towns are about 1 1/2 hrs apart.

August 22 1975 was the last time that Carolyn was seen alive by her family and friends. It has been 42 years since Carolyn was robbed of her life. 42 years ago someone took away the dreams she had to grow up and the future her loved ones could share with her. For 42 years the person who murdered her is not being held responsible for their actions.

I am glad to see that there is some newer discussions on Carolyn's disappearance on some other sites. Having attention on this case is the goal. Hopefully people with any inside information will directly contact the Burlington County Prosecutor's office.

Last night I could not sleep after reading of several missing college students and how someone knows something, and they don't even realize it. This started me thinking of this case which someone told me about a year ago, and it hit me what if I am one of the people that knows something and didn't realize it in this case? In 1974 or 75, I was walking along New Albany Rd. when a man pulled over next to me and asked for directions to the mall. I gave them to him from a distance and he asked me if I could ride with him to show him the way. I said I couldn't because I was meeting some friends right over there As he turned back to the steering wheel, nye moved his suit jacket and was very much exposing himself. A year or two late a similar looking man in a truck asked for directions to the mall and he too was exposing himself. I did not tell my parents for fear of having to answer a lot of questions and, it was embarrassing. I have always written it off as two isolated incidents by a couple of flashers, but now I wonder if this might have been the same man? They both were fairly young with blonde hair. The first one appeared to be a business man and the second more blue collar. I am not the most observant person, but maybe the dress and vehicles were enough for me to assume it was not the same person. Other girls in that area must have had similar experiences. Was there a man in NJ during the 70s that was preying on girls?

I was nearly kidnapped in Passaic County in 1974 (when I was 12) by a man I am sure is Debardeleben who wore a business suit and asked for directions to a nearby town and who wanted me to get into his car. He too exposed himself.

I get chills thinking how many of us escaped horrible fates.

Last edited:
I lived at 99 East 2nd Street in Moorestown from 1970 until 1980 (Barberry Court Apartments). In 1975 I was 25 but with my 'baby' face and waist-long blonde hair I looked about 16 or 17. The night Carolyn disappeared I left my apartment about 9:00 p.m. to take a walk up 2nd Street to where it dead-ends at Camden Avenue and back (in the summer I sometimes took a walk after the dinner dishes had been done and my child had been put to bed). I didn't walk quickly, I just sauntered along enjoying the cool night air (our apartment had no a/c) so when I crossed Church Street on my way back, it must have been at least 9:30 p.m. It was then that a dark car with Pennsylvania license tags pulled up and a man about 30-35 years old with dark brown hair parted on the left asked me if I wanted a ride home. I told him no, and he drove away. A minute later he was back. At this point I wasn't afraid; I just thought he was a weird-o. "I'm an off duty police officer," he told me and asked me again if I needed a ride. Although he was wearing a dark blue short-sleeved shirt it had no police department insignia patches on the shoulders. Now I was beginning to feel uneasy. "No," I answered, "it's a nice night, I'd rather walk." He pulled away but was back a few minutes later. This time he tried to strike up a conversation with me. "Where do you live?" he asked. I wasn't about to tell him so I just vaguely pointed down 2nd Street and said, "Oh, over there." When he realized I was not going to get into his car, in a split-second his face changed and became engulfed with a white-hot rage -- it looked feral. That was when I started feeling frightened. He then abruptly pulled away and tore down 2nd Street like Cruella De Vil and turned onto Chester Avenue, racing towards Main Street. I knew he'd be back and this time, if he found me I'd be in real trouble. So I ran as fast as I could into the apartment building. I immediately went to the kitchen window (after turning out the light) which faced 2nd Street and peeked out. At that moment, a dark car with all its lights out came creeping down the middle of 2nd Street. It was an eerie sight and reminded me of a wolf stalking its prey. I know beyond a doubt it was Mr. Weird-o. When the car came to Chester Avenue, it waited a minute like the driver was trying to decide which way to turn, then continued down 2nd Street. Is it just a coincidence I had this experience about an hour before Carolyn went missing? I asked my husband if I should call the police but he said no, the guy was just trying to pick you up. It was a different world in 1975 and weird-o's were not taken seriously. And anyway, we were in Moorestown, right? Nothing bad ever happens there. Although in the end I did go to the police with this information, it was years later.
This sounds even more like the guy who tried to get me. The hair and clothes and age fit my near-kidnapper too as well as the MO of his face turning white with rage. I am convinced my near-kidnapper was Debardeleben.

Did he usually go after teen girls, though? I thought he only preyed on fully adult women.
At the time of his first arrest for passing counterfeit money, Debardeleben supposedly had pictures of young girls in his apartment per one of the few documentaries on him.

Does anyone know if James D's DNA was gathered?! I sure hope so. They need to solve the crimes he committed. I am almost positive I saw him at the mall in Va. in the early 1980s. He didn't have any interest in me, fortunately. But there were kids surrounding him. He had a schtick going, I think he had a tape recorder. Even the parents were into it.

I’ve been a WS member since 2014 but only follow a couple of cases. I grew up in Cinnaminson on the Moorestown border but was only 10 at the time and didn’t know anything about it. I came across an old article about when her remains were found and it caught my attention because I worked with the mother of one of the boys who found Carolyn’s skull.

I remember looking into the case online at the time - I didn't know about WS and it might have been Topix (no longer available) but I don’t remember. Wherever it was that I was reading, there were a couple of posts supposedly from people familiar with the area and teens at that time and they mentioned having heard there was a party in the wooded area where Carolyn’s remains were later found. It sounds like that was not uncommon, nor secret. I remember reading at least two posters alleging a school athlete may have been involved but people were afraid to come forward.

I find myself thinking of Carolyn and hoping her family can some day have answers and justice. She crosses my mind when I go through Timbercrest, past the WaWa or down Sentinel Rd. Does anyone know if there is an active cold case investigation into this? I would love to see some of her former schoolmates talk to a detective about anything they even remotely think could help find out who was responsible.

A girl that I was friendly with in HS disappeared after we graduated but I didn’t even know about it. She moved after graduation and I was busy with my son, school, etc. Years later I turned on Investigation Discovery’s “Happily Never After” and was shocked and horrified when the episode started out by saying, “Lisa Marto Guadenzi grew up in Cinnaminson, NJ”. Lisa disappeared after completing Boot Camp and many years later her husband confessed to killing her and led police to her remains. I can still see tiny Lisa with her brown hair and flannel shirts and feel so sad for what she went through and regret that I never even knew she was missing.

Here is a 33 year old story on the case from New York Times 7 January 1986...

One night 10 years ago Carolyn Majane, then 15 years old, left two girlfriends on Main Street here to walk to a party nearby. It was the last time her friends and family were to see her alive.

And it was the last trace of her until two weeks ago when three 10-year-old boys playing in the freshly turned earth of a housing construction site found her skull.

Stephen G. Raymond, Burlington County Prosecutor, said in an interview that he was waiting to learn the cause of death to see if his office should investigate.

At the same time, he said, one lesson emerging from this case for law-enforcement authorities is that they cannot assume that missing children are runaways and must investigate the possibility of foul play immediately while evidence and witnesses are readily available. Police Practice Criticized

Ten years ago, Mr. Raymond said, police departments were inclined to list disappearances of teen-agers routinely as runaways rather than to treat them as suspicious.

''Many missing persons are runaways,'' he said, ''and the universal view at the time was that there were so many missing-persons cases that you couldn't possibly investigate them all, so why investigate any unless there was some clear indication of foul play.''

''Law enforcement cannot any longer assume that any case is merely a runaway,'' the Prosecutor said. ''If no reason is found for a disappearance, it must be treated as calling for an investigation.''

Mr. Raymond, who has been County Prosecutor since 1982, is also chairman of the State Commission on Missing Persons. He said the 16-member commission, which has just completed a one-year study, would submit a plan to the Governor and Legislature this month outlining a more effective method of dealing with cases of missing people.

Family Now in Maryland

Carolyn Majane's father, John Majane, who moved to Maryland with his wife and four sons two weeks after Carolyn's disappearance, said by telephone from his home in Bethesda that he heartily endorsed immediate investigation.

He said he had told the police from the beginning that his only daughter was not the type to run away from home. He said one of the first places a full-scale criminal investigation would have checked would have been the site in Mount Laurel where the skeleton of the girl was found, about four miles from where she was last seen.

In 1975, the father said, it was a heavily wooded hideaway known to residents as a ''lover's lane'' and a drinking spot for young people.

He said he and his wife had suspected the worst but were wrenched with uncertainty about what actually had happened after Mrs. Majane gave her daughter a ride from home to meet friends on Main Street the night of Aug. 22, 1975. Nevertheless, he said, they continued to press authorities for more than a perfunctory investigation.

Mr. Majane said he and his wife were notified the day after Christmas of the finding of the skeleton. The couple returned to New Jersey the next day and went to the construction site. The bones were only two to three feet under the surface, he said. Identified by Dental Charts.

Mr. Raymond said positive identification of Carolyn's skull was made by a forensic odontologist who compared dental charts with her lower teeth, which had had extensive dental work and still held her braces.

Close to the skull, detectives found the rest of her skeleton and a shell necklace and bits of the clothing she had been wearing.

Mr. Raymond said a visual inspection of the bones by the County Medical Examiner's office found no fracture or evidence of trauma, so the skeleton has been sent to the State Medical Examiner's office for microscopic examination by a forensic anthropologist to try to determine the cause of death.

Meanwhile, Mr. Raymond said, the death will have to be classified as ''suspicious'' rather than a homicide. The Prosecutor said that if forensic detective work indicated homicide, it would set off the kind of full-scale investigation that was not conducted in 1975.

Tough Investigation Feared

''Now we will have to reconstruct history,'' he said. ''And we will be dealing with 10-year-old memories and people who could be living anywhere in the country or abroad.''

There has been much improvement in handling the cases of missing people, he said, since the Federal Missing Persons Act of 1982 created a national system of hot lines for the public to call in tips.

He noted that in 1984 New Jersey adopted legislation creating a missing persons unit in the state police. The same law established the commission that Mr. Raymond heads and charged it with developing a plan for further state action.

Last year Attorney General Irwin I. Kimmelman directed all county prosecutors to report immediately to county and state authorities all missing children and adults. Prosecutors ordered local police departments to comply.

Now, Mr. Raymond said, computerized communications systems link local, county, state and national law-enforcement offices for reports on missing people.

LINK:

10-YEAR-OLD DEATH OF GIRL INVESTIGATED

Here is a 33 year old story on the case from New York Times 7 January 1986...

One night 10 years ago Carolyn Majane, then 15 years old, left two girlfriends on Main Street here to walk to a party nearby. It was the last time her friends and family were to see her alive.

And it was the last trace of her until two weeks ago when three 10-year-old boys playing in the freshly turned earth of a housing construction site found her skull.

Stephen G. Raymond, Burlington County Prosecutor, said in an interview that he was waiting to learn the cause of death to see if his office should investigate.

At the same time, he said, one lesson emerging from this case for law-enforcement authorities is that they cannot assume that missing children are runaways and must investigate the possibility of foul play immediately while evidence and witnesses are readily available. Police Practice Criticized

Ten years ago, Mr. Raymond said, police departments were inclined to list disappearances of teen-agers routinely as runaways rather than to treat them as suspicious.

''Many missing persons are runaways,'' he said, ''and the universal view at the time was that there were so many missing-persons cases that you couldn't possibly investigate them all, so why investigate any unless there was some clear indication of foul play.''

''Law enforcement cannot any longer assume that any case is merely a runaway,'' the Prosecutor said. ''If no reason is found for a disappearance, it must be treated as calling for an investigation.''

Mr. Raymond, who has been County Prosecutor since 1982, is also chairman of the State Commission on Missing Persons. He said the 16-member commission, which has just completed a one-year study, would submit a plan to the Governor and Legislature this month outlining a more effective method of dealing with cases of missing people.

Family Now in Maryland

Carolyn Majane's father, John Majane, who moved to Maryland with his wife and four sons two weeks after Carolyn's disappearance, said by telephone from his home in Bethesda that he heartily endorsed immediate investigation.

He said he had told the police from the beginning that his only daughter was not the type to run away from home. He said one of the first places a full-scale criminal investigation would have checked would have been the site in Mount Laurel where the skeleton of the girl was found, about four miles from where she was last seen.

In 1975, the father said, it was a heavily wooded hideaway known to residents as a ''lover's lane'' and a drinking spot for young people.

He said he and his wife had suspected the worst but were wrenched with uncertainty about what actually had happened after Mrs. Majane gave her daughter a ride from home to meet friends on Main Street the night of Aug. 22, 1975. Nevertheless, he said, they continued to press authorities for more than a perfunctory investigation.

Mr. Majane said he and his wife were notified the day after Christmas of the finding of the skeleton. The couple returned to New Jersey the next day and went to the construction site. The bones were only two to three feet under the surface, he said. Identified by Dental Charts.

Mr. Raymond said positive identification of Carolyn's skull was made by a forensic odontologist who compared dental charts with her lower teeth, which had had extensive dental work and still held her braces.

Close to the skull, detectives found the rest of her skeleton and a shell necklace and bits of the clothing she had been wearing.

Mr. Raymond said a visual inspection of the bones by the County Medical Examiner's office found no fracture or evidence of trauma, so the skeleton has been sent to the State Medical Examiner's office for microscopic examination by a forensic anthropologist to try to determine the cause of death.

Meanwhile, Mr. Raymond said, the death will have to be classified as ''suspicious'' rather than a homicide. The Prosecutor said that if forensic detective work indicated homicide, it would set off the kind of full-scale investigation that was not conducted in 1975.

Tough Investigation Feared

''Now we will have to reconstruct history,'' he said. ''And we will be dealing with 10-year-old memories and people who could be living anywhere in the country or abroad.''

There has been much improvement in handling the cases of missing people, he said, since the Federal Missing Persons Act of 1982 created a national system of hot lines for the public to call in tips.

He noted that in 1984 New Jersey adopted legislation creating a missing persons unit in the state police. The same law established the commission that Mr. Raymond heads and charged it with developing a plan for further state action.

Last year Attorney General Irwin I. Kimmelman directed all county prosecutors to report immediately to county and state authorities all missing children and adults. Prosecutors ordered local police departments to comply.

Now, Mr. Raymond said, computerized communications systems link local, county, state and national law-enforcement offices for reports on missing people.

LINK:

10-YEAR-OLD DEATH OF GIRL INVESTIGATED
Thank you so much for posting this. I hope that some people who went to school with her or were a part of any of the groups that partied in that area of Mount Laurel would search their memories for anything that may not have seemed important at the time or that they were afraid to talk about.

Found my way here via the Margaret Fox thread. I can’t believe I never heard of this case. I moved to Mount Laurel as a kid in the 90’s (I lived on Marne Highway, right around the corner from where Carolyn’s remains were found) and never heard of her case. Of course like I said this was the 90s, but still it pains me that something happened to this girl so close to where I lived and I knew nothing about it. It breaks my heart that from what I’ve read many back then just assumed she had run away. I hope someone knows something and some day it’ll come out.

Hi fellow Burl Co sleuther! Glad you found your way here. I worked with a woman whose son was one of the three boys that found Carolyn's skull. I, too, knew nothing about it but I was only about 9 y/o when it happened. I came across the article about when her remains were found while looking for something else and the name of one of the boys was immediately familiar to me. Coincidentally I ran into the boy's mom (no longer a boy) at the 7-11 on Marne Hwy just days after I read the article. The name isn't common so I asked her if it was her son and she told me the story of how they found her skull, etc. So sad. Despite the amount of time that has passed, I still hope that her family gets answers and justice for Carolyn.

Hi fellow Burl Co sleuther! Glad you found your way here. I worked with a woman whose son was one of the three boys that found Carolyn's skull. I, too, knew nothing about it but I was only about 9 y/o when it happened. I came across the article about when her remains were found while looking for something else and the name of one of the boys was immediately familiar to me. Coincidentally I ran into the boy's mom (no longer a boy) at the 7-11 on Marne Hwy just days after I read the article. The name isn't common so I asked her if it was her son and she told me the story of how they found her skull, etc. So sad. Despite the amount of time that has passed, I still hope that her family gets answers and justice for Carolyn.

Wow what are the chances you’d run into his mother! (And my house was right near the 7-11!)

I hope the same. I can’t imagine what they’ve been through these past decades.

22 August will mark 44 years since Carolyn Majane went missing (her skeletal remains were found years later). Her murder remains unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back