RI RI - Linda Carman, 54, Point Judith, 18 Sept 2016 *SON ARRESTED, dies before trial*

Relatives of Nathan Carman accuse him of killing grandfather, and possibly his mother, for the inheritance

The aunts of a man once investigated in the killing of his grandfather — and whose mother later vanished at sea — want him declared a murderer so he can’t tap into a $40 million estate.

Nathan Carman, 22, was previously probed after his grandfather, John Chakalos, was shot three times at his Connecticut home in 2013. Carman was never charged in his grandfather's death.

Seems to me that they'd need to either sue him in Civil court (ala OJ Simpson), or the authorities would need to arrest him and prove he was guilty of murder to deprive him of his mother's inheritance and whatever he would gain from her portion of her father's estate if hes the only child.

Of course I'm just expressing an opinion, and think there probably is some evidence but not enough to make a fullproof case yet for the authorites.

(could not open the article)

I am glad the sisters and keeping this alive.

Records: Insurance Company Employees In Nathan Carman Case Concerned About Safety

"The insurance company seeking a court ruling to avoid paying Nathan Carman for the loss of his boat, which sank with him and his mother aboard last September, are seeking to bring the disappearance of his mother and the unsolved killing of his grandfather into the case.

In papers filed in U.S. District Court in Providence ahead of a Monday hearing, attorney David Farrell wrote that Carman's potential "criminal wrongdoing" could bar his insurance claim. "

Crime Watch Daily is covering the case:
[video=youtube;ZbpACCFccoM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbpACCFccoM[/video]

An update in the Hartford Courant. John Chakalos's 3 surving children (Nathan Carman's aunts) are asking in the NH probate case of his estate for a finding that his grandson murdered him.

Nathan now controls an account of $400,000 that was a joint account with his grandfather and mother. The estate is worth millions and Nathan's aunts do not want him to receive his mother's share.

http://www.courant.com/news/connect...an-new-hampshire-attorney-20171129-story.html

An insurance company has asked a federal judge to force a man to discuss what happened to a missing gun that matches the caliber of the gun used to kill his millionaire grandfather.

Nathan Carman, of Vernon, Vermont, is accused in a lawsuit of being responsible for the death of 87-year-old John Chakalos, a nursing home administrator and real estate developer found killed at his South Windsor home.

In a separate case, the insurance company is seeking to avoid payment on an $85,000 policy for a boat Carman was on when he and his mother went missing at sea in 2016. His mother, Linda Carman, is presumed dead. He was found on a life raft seven days after his boat sank off the coast of Martha's Vineyard, a Massachusetts island near Cape Cod.

Nathan Carman has denied any wrongdoing and has never been charged with either death.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/29/lawyers-seek-to-compel-boater-to-speak-about-missing-gun.html

Here is an in-depth recent article from New York magazine
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/01/nathan-carman-linda-carman-death-at-sea.html

I live in Connecticut and have followed this from the onset. I drove by the billboard about the grandfather's coldcase on Rt91 every day. Here are some of my thoughts:
*One thing that never sat right with me was how Nathan looked when he was picked up. His facial hair didn't look like 8 days of growth to me.
*In both instances LE couldn't track his internet searches due to no hard-drive in the case of the Grandfather and no computer in the case of the fishing trip with his mother.
*Block Canyons run from anywhere from 200' to 1000' deep. Perfect place for a sunken boat and body that you don't want easily recovered.
* Honestly, I feel the prosecutor never signed the warrant because he didn't want to open up the can of worms a murder case against a suspect with Asperger's would have become. It would have been a circus with immediate national attention and very strong opinions on every side.

I believe they ARE going to arrest him for one or both murders eventually. Let's hope it is soon

Federal Judge Orders Nathan Carman To Answer Questions About Missing Gun

"A federal judge in Rhode Island has ordered Nathan Carman to answer questions about what happened to a gun that has been missing since his grandfather’s 2013 shooting death.

The order comes in a case involving an insurance company’s efforts to avoid payments on the boat that Carman and his mother were in when it sank off Block Island in 2016. Nathan Carman was rescued at sea and Linda Carman is presumed dead. The insurance company has denied his claim for the boat, alleging that alterations he made caused it to sink.

It also comes on the eve of a scheduled appearance by Carman in a New Hampshire probate court where the same question about the gun is at issue. Carman is expected to argue that he does not have to answer questions about the gun. Police have said Carman was a suspect in his grandfather’s slaying but has not been charged. In the New Hampshire case, his aunts are trying to keep him from inheriting any of his grandfather’s millions by having a judge rule he killed his grandfather, John Chakalos.

Carman’s attorneys in the Rhode Island case stopped his deposition when attorneys for the insurance company tried asking about a specific gun — a Sig Sauer that uses .308 caliber bullets, the same caliber used to murder Chakalos — that Carman has claimed he lost...."

http://www.courant.com/news/connect...arman-federal-court-order-20180402-story.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boater offers few answers in deaths of grandfather, mother

"...Nathan Carman, who fired his attorneys earlier this year and represented himself on Tuesday, came off as composed but a little awkward for most of the 90-minute hearing. Afterward, he walked stiffly past reporters without answering questions and drove off in a beaten-up Ford Focus....

On Tuesday, he mentioned his grandfather and mother and even referenced the fact he was suspected in their deaths. But he didn't implicate himself in either case and suggested other relatives could be to blame.

"My concern, it's not the money," Carman told the court. "It's not so much even my freedom. It is my reputation and seeing I have a future going forward ... I am very concerned about protecting that future."...

Attorney Dan Small, representing the sisters, said Carman's comments were just another example of him crafting fresh stories to avoid producing documents and answering questions.

"I came away sensing that he is making up a new round of stories," Small said. "It's like the carnival whack-a-mole game where the moles keep coming up and you have to pound them down. That's sort of what is going on here with Nathan inventing new stories."

Small called Carman's implication that other relatives were behind the deaths a "terrible and offensive statement" and said he found it interesting Carman would bring up the deaths and the possibility of being involved.

"I'm very clear in my mind that Nathan killed his grandfather and killed his mother," Small said. "There were several times today where he was having trouble navigating around that.".."

http://www.krqe.com/news/national/b...rs-in-deaths-of-grandfather-mother/1101819025
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Court papers detail finances of man accused by his aunts of murdering his grandfather

"CONCORD — Nathan Carman, accused by his aunts of murder, received $360,000 following the death of his millionaire grandfather, according to documents unsealed last week in a probate court in Concord.

The amount — disclosed by Carman himself in a document ordered unsealed — is a fraction of what Carman stands to inherit following the 2013 shooting death of his grandfather John Chalakos in Connecticut and the 2016 disappearance and assumed death of his mother, Linda Carman, from a boat off the coast of Rhode Island.

Carman was the last person seen with his grandfather and mother. And while authorities have not brought criminal charges against him, he is embroiled in a civil suit brought by Chakalos’ surviving heirs who accuse him of murdering his grandfather and mother in order to receive millions in inheritance.

Last week, Probate Court Judge David King ordered a host of documents unsealed in the high-profile case. He partially redacted another document before releasing it. And he held off on releasing an affidavit written by Connecticut police who are investigating the Chakalos murder....

The net value of the Chakalos estate was reported at $19.59 million according to a filing made two years ago at a probate court in Cheshire County...."

http://www.unionleader.com/courts/C...s-aunts-of-murdering-his-grandfather-05102018
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back