UCLA B-Ball players arrested in China-being detained...

I would like to see an in-depth interview of one if not all of these young men. And folks, these are not kids" or "boys. I would ask what you were doing at this age? Being privileged enough to go on a foreign trip where you and your friends somehow decided to go out and steal merchandise from local stores? I don't think so.

What leads up to a decision to do this? In not just one person, but in three! It boggles the mind.

I would like to know what was behind this. A sense of entitlement? A disrespect for the Chinese people? What?

To me, there can be no understanding of this until we know the 'WHY?" of it. And how exactly do these three "earn back" trust as specified by their team captain? How?

I would like to see an in-depth interview of one if not all of these young men. And folks, these are not kids" or "boys. I would ask what you were doing at this age? Being privileged enough to go on a foreign trip where you and your friends somehow decided to go out and steal merchandise from local stores? I don't think so.

What leads up to a decision to do this? In not just one person, but in three! It boggles the mind.

I would like to know what was behind this. A sense of entitlement? A disrespect for the Chinese people? What?

To me, there can be no understanding of this until we know the 'WHY?" of it. And how exactly do these three "earn back" trust as specified by their team captain? How?

No matter what, I would think their reputations will be tarnished forever. I don't think anyone will trust them again. But, as so many have pointed out, athletes seem to get a pass and people's memories are short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe one should have all their future career destroyed over shoplifting. But my problem is, I don't think those 3 got any sort of punishment anybody else would have gotten for the same thing. Any regular person who isn't an athlete presumably would have not gotten completely off for doing the exact same thing.

I don't believe one should have all their future career destroyed over shoplifting. But my problem is, I don't think those 3 got any sort of punishment anybody else would have gotten for the same thing. Any regular person who isn't an athlete presumably would have not gotten completely off for doing the exact same thing.

You're probably correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just read on Washington Post that all three have been suspended indefinitely.

Daddy Lavar is at it again. Being disrespectful and petty.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/lavar-ball-downplays-trumps-role-son-released-china/story?id=51246566

"Who?" Ball told ESPN, when asked about Trump's involvement in the matter. "What was he over there for? Don't tell me nothing. Everybody wants to make it seem like he helped me out."

"As long as my boy's back here, I'm fine," LaVar Ball told ESPN. "I'm happy with how things were handled. A lot of people like to say a lot of things that they thought happened over there. Like I told him, 'They try to make a big deal out of nothing sometimes.' I'm from L.A. I've seen a lot worse things happen than a guy taking some glasses. My son has built up enough character that one bad decision doesn't define him. Now if you can go back and say when he was 12 years old he was shoplifting and stealing cars and going wild, then that's a different thing."

:no: :no: :no:

This guy is a clown.

I find that response from Lavar pretty revealing. He was asked by the UCLA people to keep his mouth shut during the incident because he was making things worse, by insisting it was 'no big deal.'

At the same time, UCLA asked for assistance from the WH to help get special treatment, which they received, IN SPITE OF Daddy Lamars big mouth.

So now he has to muddy the waters by once gain, trying to say it is 'no big deal' and try to pretend that no one was scrambling trying to keep those kids out of a Chinese prison.

Someone needs to shut this guy up before he ruins his son's future.

Also, it was not ' a guy taking some glasses.' It was HIS SON and 2 team members, stealing from THREE different high end stores, which would add up to a lot of money, perhaps pushing it up to felony theft.

It is not helpful for this father to try and downplay and excuse the horrid choices made by his son and friends. It may hinder the son's ability to earn his way back on the team.

UCLA's trip to China was viewed as more than just an athletic program road trip; it was a goodwill journey for the entire university. UCLA chancellor Gene Block and his wife, Carol, UCLA vice provost Cindy Fan, UCLA engagement director Stephen Tan and UCLA professor Ren Sun all traveled with team to Hangzhou and Shanghai.

Multiple major donors have called the school with their thoughts on the situation, according to sources.

"We have heard and appreciate everyone's views," Block wrote in a statement after the players left China. "I want to be clear that we take seriously any violations of the law. We remain one of the world's top academic institutions in large part because of our values and standards, which we work hard to infuse throughout our campus community.
=====================================================================================================

It sounds like the alumni/major donors are pressuring the UCLA officials to give them long suspensions. I would agree.

And I don't think Daddy Lavar is helping anyone by dismissing and discounting the seriousness of his son's bad choices.

Daddy Lavar is at it again. Being disrespectful and petty.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/lavar-ball-downplays-trumps-role-son-released-china/story?id=51246566

"Who?" Ball told ESPN, when asked about Trump's involvement in the matter. "What was he over there for? Don't tell me nothing. Everybody wants to make it seem like he helped me out."

"As long as my boy's back here, I'm fine," LaVar Ball told ESPN. "I'm happy with how things were handled. A lot of people like to say a lot of things that they thought happened over there. Like I told him, 'They try to make a big deal out of nothing sometimes.' I'm from L.A. I've seen a lot worse things happen than a guy taking some glasses. My son has built up enough character that one bad decision doesn't define him. Now if you can go back and say when he was 12 years old he was shoplifting and stealing cars and going wild, then that's a different thing."

:no: :no: :no:

This guy is a clown.

Good lord, this guy is everything wrong with everything. Smh. . As much as I love sports I’d be ok if they lost their power over us. Gross.

Lavar does not get it. China makes the rules in their country. Lavar might have seen a lot worse things in his life, but it does not matter. China still makes the rules in their country. These players should be very thankful that they got off easy. Many people don't get off easy in China, when they choose to act stupidly and steal items.

Lavar does not get it. China makes the rules in their country. Lavar might have seen a lot worse things in his life, but it does not matter. China still makes the rules in their country. These players should be very thankful that they got off easy. Many people don't get off easy in China, when they choose to act stupidly and steal items.

Exactly, and then to top it all off POTUS gives these kids a break, essentially he gave them a pardon. Just so he could get a few lousy headlines. Sad display of leadership.

I live in a college town where the teams are members of the SEC. In the last few years the colleges AND coaches are starting to "get it". The coaches are paid VERY well and the University is beginning to hold them very accountable for enforcing morals and ethics of the teams. Professors are starting to make VERY sure the players are NOT getting a "pass" academically. Football players have been suspended and cut from the team for legal troubles they get into off the field. Even in the cases where it hurt the teams chances of bowl appearances and win records.

There is currently a case of a BB player just recruited. Well known nationally and has been treated by media and the whole town like a celebrity. The coach benched him in game one after only scoring two points. Possibly from a bruised hip or possibly from the just out of H.S. arrogant showoff.

JMO

That's great and surprising news!

The pessimist in me figures it'll probably last until people stop paying attention.

The team needs these guys. They will soon be "working" their way back. The Ball family has $ and influence, plus talent.

If I were an Athletic Director, I would hesitate to send players to a place like China, unless they were read the riot act before the trip. I wonder if these trips will continue, given what happened this year.

If I were an Athletic Director, I would hesitate to send players to a place like China, unless they were read the riot act before the trip. I wonder if these trips will continue, given what happened this year.

Especially as stupid as 17-19 year olds can be...

Several of our family members are UCLA alumni, no we don't need them. To walk into any store and steal let alone with an air of arrogance and entitlement disrespectful of CHINA law really! To let these players return in moo is hell wrong.
We don't care if they have talent to bounce a ball. The AD director should be advising dismissal.

Here two freshman players from Washington State University trying to steal from Walmart. What was the consequences..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...zAaEQFggxMAE&usg=AOvVaw0-QSZaxKp6bdpcGUYnSI-E

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back