UK - Gaia Pope, 19, found deceased, Swanage, Dorset, 7 Nov 2017 #2

The post-mortem examination has not identified any injuries to suggest any other person was involved in her death. The cause of death is undetermined pending toxicology.

Based on this I'm going with natural causes, primarily hypothermia.

I'm sure I have read before that hypothermia cannot be detected in a post mortem, so it is assumed rather than definitive. Does anyone know if death caused by epilepsy would show up?

This is a beautiful way of thinking. I think I love you a bit, johnsmith.
I was only thinking that way because when I am up there with my dogs I am always on the lookout for heads popping up in the grass so I can grab my dogs before they see the deer. Otherwise I am wandering around the fields for a while trying to find my dogs again.

Just thinking aloud- so when they found her no obvious cause of death- can we presume so that she did not fall from a height and the impact cause her death?

Poor Gaia, if only someone had found her in time.
The time between her disappearing and dying probably wasn't that long. Even if you did find her wandering around naked she would already have been in the late stages of hypothermia and by the time an ambulance gets here from Poole or a helicopter from Plymouth it may have been too late.

Do we know for sure she didn't go there? Police and family presumably checked that night?

I would strongly assume they went to that house while searching for her but we never heard anything definitive about it.

I'm sure I have read before that hypothermia cannot be detected in a post mortem, so it is assumed rather than definitive. Does anyone know if death caused by epilepsy would show up?

I just wrote above that I think it should be visible because seizures lead to oxygen deprivation in the blood and brain, the effects of which I'm sure can be seen.

Does anyone know if there would be evidence of hypothermia visible in the autopsy?

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

There may be subtle signs such as superficial erosions in the stomach and preservation of the pancreas (usually this organ auto digests after death). However, there may be nothing found.

I could definitely see a scenario where hypothermia/exposure is the ultimate cause of death *if* Gaia had walked straight to those fields that evening stripped off and settled down where she was found.

All triggered by a combination of epilepsy/PTSD/stress.

You are correct. Police said there's no cctv footage at all of Gaia after she left RD..

However, dashcam footage from a civilian taken on the day she disappeared was released a few days later which shows someone leaning into a stationary car (possibly talking to the occupant/s) which might or might not be Gaia. It's too blurry to say for sure imo.

BBM

Exactly. There is no footage of her leaving ON FOOT.

RD stated she did.

IMO it is the VEHICLE on the dash cam that is of concern.
Yes, a person is seen leaning inside of it, but I think we are missing the bigger picture.

Do we have a description of the 3 vehicles taken?
Have all 3 been returned?
Have the crime techs released the homes?

MOO

Cags, are you flirting with JohnSmith!? [emoji44][emoji8][emoji6]

Maybe :blushing:
I have enjoyed his posts - always good to have feet on the ground, a willingness to saunter past the police scene and get info, mapmaking skills AND a bit of poetry!!

I was only thinking that way because when I am up there with my dogs I am always on the lookout for heads popping up in the grass so I can grab my dogs before they see the deer. Otherwise I am wandering around the fields for a while trying to find my dogs again.

Thank you for joining us here and keeping us posted!

I think in this cold weather decomp would slow down to preserve organs and tissue enough to be able to tell if they received any life threatening injuries. That means she had no stab wounds, her hyoid bone was intact (snaps during strangulation), she had no blunt force trauma/broken bones/neck/skull fractures.

If her tox screen does not reveal anything major this will come down to epilepsy/hypothermia and misadventure imo.
I agree. IMO I think the plumbing that was removed may have been in case tox reports reveal any drugs in her system. If that all comes up clear, then there would appear to be no evidence of foul play hopefully.

For the love of God that paper should just shut up sometimes! TERRIBLE headline. Just to get some clicks. smh

:stormingmad: :sick:

Agreed completely... there is a big difference between "death by misadventure" and suicide, and there is (as far as we know) zero evidence of the latter.

Agreed completely... there is a big difference between "death by misadventure" and suicide, and there is (as far as we know) zero evidence of the latter.

I only ever go there for the photos. They always have lots of it. Their reporting and racy headlines are too often misleading and insensitive.

I've been keeping some thoughts to myself but your mention of narcotics has prompted me to say it out loud.

There is some evidence on SM sites that GP may have used cannabis (medicinal or recreational) - mentions of hemp oil, photos smoking it and in particular a mention of getting high on the photo near the coast - a great place to enjoy the weed.

It may be that when she called at the NE house she obtained some (offered to calm her down or she asked for some) and this may have been hidden from police in the original pre-arrest questioning for fear of reprimand. I'm thinking GP may have wandered down to the coast for a smoke and contemplate. A combination of the relaxing effects and existing health issue led to her "zoning out" and coming round some time later in a very cold state - the start of hypothermia and then the clothes shedding and ultimate death follow on.

It's a bit out there but I'm an ex-cannabis user and can empathise if this was the situation.

Last year, I attempted medicinal cannabis for the first time. I tried eating the raw herb first, as it doesn't get you high. It had no effect whatsoever, so I heated it in the oven, put some in a capsule and ate it. It also had no affect so I ate two more capsules. A few hours later, it hit. When eaten, the liver processes cannabis into a potent hallucinogen. It was the absolute worst experience of my life, I was completely and utterly out of my mind and truly thought I was in hell. It was a bad trip X 1000. I ended up spending the day in A&E on a drip and heart monitor, mostly unconscious and my blood pressure was 70's/30's. They say you can't overdose on cannabis but I think my experience would have killed someone with a fragile brain or heart.

Cannabis oil can refer to legal CBD oil, which doesn't get you high. It can also refer to highly concentrated hash oil, which is a class A drug, but has many medical benefits for some individuals. Many people swear by it as a magical cure.

Cannabis is known to help epilepsy in some people and in some places you can legally use medical marijuana for this reason. Gaia made some posts on social media about her mum trying to cure her epilepsy with alternative methods. I think she also mentioned herbs?

My point in this post is to agree it's entirely plausible that she could have got into difficulties after taking medical marijuana, especially if it was consumed rather than smoked/vaped. If she was having a bad trip she could have definitely ran off and taken her clothes off, as well as having hallucinations that could have got her into fights.

Maybe :blushing:
I have enjoyed his posts - always good to have feet on the ground, a willingness to saunter past the police scene and get info, mapmaking skills AND a bit of poetry!!

Thank you for joining us here and keeping us posted!

Totes flirting :p

joking aside- yes John- you are really the best source of information and reliable and thank you for being here and sharing and making the map which was the best post of this sad event!

The time between her disappearing and dying probably wasn't that long. Even if you did find her wandering around naked she would already have been in the late stages of hypothermia and by the time an ambulance gets here from Poole or a helicopter from Plymouth it may have been too late.

Oh yes, I totally agree on a rational level. Just the parent in me sees my own children in that situation and longs to save her.

If it was misadventure then RD will surely have a lot of what ifs and guilt, even if there’s no blame on her at all.

FWIW, I totally agree that the Fail is vile with its headline but it is worth reiterating that there should be no shame associated with suicide. It is ridiculous for them to speculate at this point with no evidence though, they should have more respect for Gaia’s family.

That's pretty insensitive and I don't beleive there's anything to suggest that she did ... but there again, it's the *****ty Daily Fail so ...

FFS- no- I am not buying suicide and that is really a horrible headline- she was certainly not in the right frame of mind and certainly not responsible for herself at the time. Tragic misadventure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back