MA MA - Dr. Margaret 'Peg' Kilcoyne, 50, Nantucket, 26 Jan 1980

Wow, what a fascinating case. Funnily enough, "manic episode" popped into my head as soon as I read the first post. With the information from the more extensive article, it seems clear that something like that was taking place. Unfortunately, it would shock me if she did not die very shortly after disappearing. Episodes end, and, had she still been out there somewhere, it wouldn't have taken more than a few months for her to come back to her senses. The article even referenced that this had happened before; I think Margaret was aware of her mental state, to some degree, and took herself to Nantucket as she'd done in the past to curb her mania. She even contacted her brother and had him meet her, again, probably because somewhere in her mind she knew she wasn't well and she was trying to take precautions. I bet she probably even thought she could have kept driving when she met the Avon lady, but again, was making every effort to take advantage of moments of clarity and listen to what little voice of reason she had left. When she realized her behavior was upsetting people, again, just like she'd been doing, she made the right decision and took herself to bed to try to snap out of it. She must have been so, so deeply exhausted when she left the house that night; in her delirium, maybe a dip in the water seemed like it might cool her down and clear her head. I agree that she was not suicidal; on the contrary, I think Margaret, the intelligent woman she was, knew herself very, very well. She knew she was sick, in the way she was probably very familiar with by this stage, and did everything in her power to get better. Unfortunately, mania being what it is, she made one misguided mistake.

* ^ just my theory!

http://unidentified.wikia.com/wiki/Peg_Kilcoyne
attachment.php

Peg Kilcoyne
5' tall,Red hair, blue eyes.
50 yrs old when missing in 1980.

Attachments

• Pegkilcoyne.jpg
    Pegkilcoyne.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 51
Strange case. I don't believe that she is not on earth anymore. I believe that with this new discovery of what she discovered was taken by the government because she had this new break thru for medical discovery and they didn't want to go forth in the public view just yet. I do believe that she is very much alive and doing well.

Here is Dr. Kilcoyne's new Charley Project link as Charley Project changed and the old links no longer work
http://charleyproject.org/case/margaret-mary-kilcoyne
Thanks, Alleykins!
One prominent theory is that Kilcoyne killed herself, either intentionally or accidentally while in a delusional state, by walking into the ocean. Her family believes this is what happened, but some investigators in her case think she is alive and left of her own accord.

She was declared legally dead in 1989, leaving behind a $200,000 estate. Foul play is not suspected in her case.

I was on unidentified wiki and saw Margaret and of course wondered if she was here on Websleuths. Of course wonderful @dotr had started a thread.
Being me, I immediately suspected her brother after learning of the blood that was found. Now , after seeing the article from the New Yorker, I'm not so sure. I just don't understand why a body wasn't found if she went in the water. Then I thought, was if she committed suicide in her bedroom, was found by her brother, and he thought it was a sin, or did not want such a thing to become public, and staged a "disappearance". And the mention
upthread of the brother leaving later on the ferry with a rug in his car was
in fact him removing the body. JMO MOO

COLD CASE - Nantucket Magazine
''Perhaps Leo Kilcoyne’s reaction was merely his own way of dealing with his sister’s disappearance. Or maybe he knew more than he was letting on. But if he was holding any secrets, he took them to the grave. Leo Kilcoyne was killed on June 20, 1992 when the car he was driving slammed into a guardrail on I-495, about a mile south of the Massachusetts Turnpike. Police told the Milford Daily News that he had fallen asleep at the wheel.''

Just seeing this very interesting case. A couple of things.

Yes, we are on DSM 5 now. I can't diagnose anyone I haven't evaluated, but if I was taking board examinations and they presented a patient with these symptoms, the answer would be bipolar disorder, manic. Symptoms of mania include elevated energy, impulsivity (spending is part of that), grandiosity (Nobel Prize? Press conference?), and the such. Bipolar disorder generally presents at a much younger age and since one article said this had happened before, I tend to think she had a mental health diagnosis, possibly bipolar disorder. If that's the case, I wonder if her medical board or hospital knew. I also wonder if that's why her brother was there with her. One of the most dangerous times in a person with bipolar disorder is if they're in what we call a mixed state, meaning they're depressed and also manic at the same time. The reason is that people who are depressed may be suicidal. In a unipolar depression, depressed people may not have the motivation or energy or cognitive ability to plan a suicide. They could talk themselves out of it in some cases (too painful if I do this, may not succeed if I do that, this person will find me if I do it this way). In a mixed bipolar episode, you can have that deep depression that leads to suicidality and at the same time, you have impulsivity and increased energy (i.e. motivation to act on the suicidal thoughts without all that). A person in that state of mind could impulsively walk into the ocean or leave the house with sandals on or whatever.

Did she have bipolar? I have no idea. Was she manic? No idea. But just wanted to add that insight.

Very interesting case. I hope she's still alive, but after all this time, I'm thinking she isn't.

I've read everything I can find on this case. I think:
* Dr. Kilcoyne was likely bi-polar and experiencing mania on the trip up from NY and on the island
* She died that night/morn in late January 1980. I find it strange that some investigators think she left the island alive
* 70% that she, in manic delusional state, entered marsh/scrub near her home, left those belongings that were found a week later (apparently missed by searchers), and died of hypothermia in the Phillips Run marsh/scrub (temps were in the 20s that morn), her remains also missed by searchers and there to this day
* 30% that her brother Leo had a hand in her death and covered it up, as he is supposedly said (true or not, no idea) to have asked the waitress Margaret met on the drive up to say that Margaret seemed depressed, and there was supposedly evidence of blood found in the home, and Leo was positioned to benefit from Margaret's death.

Here is the best source of info on the case that I have seen, written the year of the disappearance:

Last edited:
Human remains have been found in Nantucket near where Margaret's house used to be (or still is).

People in the thread about this are saying her NamUs is down, but I can't find where she's ever had one.

Human remains have been found in Nantucket near where Margaret's house used to be (or still is).

People in the thread about this are saying her NamUs is down, but I can't find where she's ever had one.
Thanks for the heads up!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back