GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is sickening that Carter is still out on bail. It seems to me that the judge didn’t want to send her to jail because be was expecting the ruling to be overturned. Why sentence her if that’s the case!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is sickening that Carter is still out on bail. It seems to me that the judge didn’t want to send her to jail because be was expecting the ruling to be overturned. Why sentence her if that’s the case!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed...

Where is the justice for Conrad!?!

In cases like this, it is not usually about the actual payment. It is rather about the verdict and being held accountable. I agree that the parents my be held responsible for some of the payment; as well as being held financially responsible for the rest of her life. Along with this, it will stop her from gaining anything financial in a book or movie deal, or interviews. I like civil cases when the justice system does not give a harsh sentence to a convicted criminal. JMHO of course.

I am confused by the end of your reply. Are you saying that in this civil case you would like MC to not get a harsh sentence after all is said and done?

I am confused by the end of your reply. Are you saying that in this civil case you would like MC to not get a harsh sentence after all is said and done?
The OP can correct me if I'm wrong but I read it more as - if the guilty party is going to get off with a poor sentence then at least a civil case will screw up plans to make cash out of their crime ...

The story of Conrad Roy is on the ID channel right now!

The OP can correct me if I'm wrong but I read it more as - if the guilty party is going to get off with a poor sentence then at least a civil case will screw up plans to make cash out of their crime ...

You are correct. This is what I meant by my post. Thank you!

TheFarm, I am sorry I was vague! I think her sentence was an injustice, especially since she is out. I just think that a civil suit can dole out additional justice when the criminal case doesn’t. Also, there are way too many criminals that make money from their crime.

You are correct. This is what I meant by my post. Thank you!

TheFarm, I am sorry I was vague! I think her sentence was an injustice, especially since she is out. I just think that a civil suit can dole out additional justice when the criminal case doesn’t. Also, there are way too many criminals that make money from their crime.

Thank you mrazda71 and cocomod. Sometimes as you know it is hard to quite understand some post and can be taken differently.
And yes coco her sentence is an injustice big time. I would be quite happy that she never makes a dime off of this and I think when she gets older she will most likely move away and change her name and vanish into wherever.
Still so angry that she is enjoying her freedom while Conrad's family will suffer with this for the rest of their lives.

Michelle Carter appeals to SJC: 'Words alone' can't kill

The new high-powered defense team representing Michelle Carter argue that "words alone" can't kill in their pitch to the state’s highest court - an appeal claiming that her involuntary manslaughter conviction is unconstitutional and violates both state and federal law.

“(T)his appeal presents novel questions of constitutional and criminal law,” Carter’s attorneys wrote in an appeal to the Supreme Judicial Court, filed on Feb. 5. “It will set precedent for who may be prosecuted for encouraging suicide with words alone.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/lo...jc_words_alone_cant_kill#.WpnHttx94-w.twitter

How many appeals does MC get before she has to do jail time?

Ugh just saw this in the paper this morning. Looks like they have brought in the big guns. I honestly do not think that she is going to spend a minute behind bars and will continue to walk free and clear.
Let's forget the fact that she should have gone directly to jail in the first place.

Ugh just saw this in the paper this morning. Looks like they have brought in the big guns. I honestly do not think that she is going to spend a minute behind bars and will continue to walk free and clear.
Let's forget the fact that she should have gone directly to jail in the first place.

I agree, she will not serve more time and be free. I hope some one, like the victims family, starts an investigation into the way this is being handled. JMOO.

Michelle Carter appeals to SJC: 'Words alone' can't kill

The new high-powered defense team representing Michelle Carter argue that "words alone" can't kill in their pitch to the state’s highest court - an appeal claiming that her involuntary manslaughter conviction is unconstitutional and violates both state and federal law.

“(T)his appeal presents novel questions of constitutional and criminal law,” Carter’s attorneys wrote in an appeal to the Supreme Judicial Court, filed on Feb. 5. “It will set precedent for who may be prosecuted for encouraging suicide with words alone.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/lo...jc_words_alone_cant_kill#.WpnHttx94-w.twitter

How many appeals does MC get before she has to do jail time?

Yes words alone can kill. She proved that.

Thanks all for the updates. Health issues have prevented me from keeping up.

Speaking of free speech she apparently felt she was free to convince him to get back in the truck when he decided not to die;

Carter was given a 2 1⁄2-year jail sentence, with only 15 months to serve, last summer after Judge Lawrence Moniz found her responsible for Conrad Roy III’s July 2014 suicide. Bristol prosecutors presented evidence convincing Moniz at a bench trial that Carter encouraged Roy to kill himself through texts and phone calls and told him to “get back in” his truck as it filled with deadly carbon monoxide fumes.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/lo..._s_team_claims_conviction_violates_amendments

Hope you are feeling better Steleheart.
Yes they forget about the "Get back in the truck" thing. I could be wrong but didn't she swear at him somewhere in that conversation? Like she was very mad and would be unless he did as she said.
I wonder who is paying for these big attorneys because this will be getting $$$$.
Or they are doing it for the notoriety of the case?

Yes they forget about the "Get back in the truck" thing. I could be wrong but didn't she swear at him somewhere in that conversation? Like she was very mad and would be unless he did as she said.
I wonder who is paying for these big attorneys because this will be getting $$$$.

Yes and I think she had also contacted her friends about being worried about him before that looking for sympathy, so him getting out of the truck ruined her plan to "grieve " his death IIRC.

Regardless of the final outcomes of both the criminal and civil cases, the circumstances of this case will follow her for life.. I don't think changing her name would even make a difference. She has such a unique look a name change won't make her unrecognizable.

Regardless of the final outcomes of both the criminal and civil cases, the circumstances of this case will follow her for life.. I don't think changing her name would even make a difference. She has such a unique look a name change won't make her unrecognizable.

Her unique look will change as she ages. Hair, weight, sunglasses etc. She could move somewhere and people might not have even heard of the case. It can be easy I think to blend depending on where you go.
Look at Casey Anthony now, she is out and about in basically the same area and not always recognized.
People forget and there is always some other terrible case front and center.
I think what bothers me the most is her and her family believe she did nothing wrong which means they have sided with her and support her. Yes she is their daughter but what she did I could not support if that had been my daughter. And I truely feel that if she had not been coaching him he would be alive today. He got out of the truck and it was her prompting him to get back in that was his demise.
JMO

Way, way back in previous comments, I read her parents have money. I will try and find that link, but I may not find it.

The Sun Chronicle, March 2, 2018....FMC lawyer, Cataldo, got as many high profile attorneys involved because this was a worthy cause.

On Ipad so I will link article later

I remember checking on her parents and I know people in Plainville.
They seem to be just middle class working people. If I remember correctly, if I can even remember at all, her father works for a car dealership, maybe management and her mother did interior design small scale. Now don't hold me to this but it seems to be what I am remembering.
You never know what people really have, inheritances, gambling, law suits and many other ways of having money.
I have seen the cost of trials where the lawyers are tops and it is phenominal.
And there is always the notoriety of setting a precedent because since Michelle has been brought out there have been other similar cases of young people doing this dastardly deed. I do not know whatever happened with those and this one was close to home. So damn sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken