Found Deceased CA - Rachel Nguyen, 20, & Joseph Orbeso, 21, Joshua Tree Nat'l Park, 27 July 2017 #2

I am one of the people that is on the fence - I can see how someone might want to die after weeks of exposure and imminent death from starvation, especially if they are seriously injured BUT I also need to know more about the scene to feel good about the sympathetic suicide angle because in most survival cases there are signs of attempts to be rescued - phone use showing repeated 911 attempts or to get a signal, attempted markers, messages in the sand, an attempt at a fire, makeshift shelter etc. Consider the Lisanne Froon and Kris Kremers case - that was 8 days in the panamanian jungle with at least one of them severely injured and they still found evidence they tried to make flags and markers for searchers, may have tried using their camera flash to alert helicopters, documented evidence on the phones and cameras. The "scouting trip: ahead of time is also deeply suspect. JMO

We don't know what was found on their phones yet though, I'd guess they tried to send texts at the very least.

I can totally understand why they ended it. I was hiking in 80 degrees recently and nearly went crazy from the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was telling a friend about the s case today and mentioned that more people had planned on going on this hike with Rachel and Joseph and that for one reason or another, they all bailed out. And she said, "if one more person would have gone, this could have had a totally different outcome." And that's a sad truth. One more person could have walked to rescue, one more person could have insisted they bring more water, one more person could have bought a GPS tracking device. One more person. Would've, should've could've.

What a sad reality. I wonder if this is eating away at any of the friends who were suppose to go.

I was telling a friend about the s case today and mentioned that more people had planned on going on this hike with Rachel and Joseph and that for one reason or another, they all bailed out. And she said, "if one more person would have gone, this could have had a totally different outcome." And that's a sad truth. One more person could have walked to rescue, one more person could have insisted they bring more water, one more person could have bought a GPS tracking device. One more person. Would've, should've could've.

What a sad reality. I wonder if this is eating away at any of the friends who were suppose to go.

One more person could have died, too. We can’t assume that another person would have insisted on more water, tracking device, etc... and we can’t assume they wouldn’t. Being that young, idk if another person their age would have been that insightful before the hike.

One more person could have died, too. We can’t assume that another person would have insisted on more water, tracking device, etc... and we can’t assume they wouldn’t. Being that young, idk if another person their age would have been that insightful before the hike.

That's all true, but I still can't get past the possibility that another person there could have had some skills that could have helped their situation. Each hiker does not bring the same things on a hike and has the identical range of skill. Physical fitness and prior experience also plays a part.

If Rachel was hurt, one person could have stayed with her while the other sought help. Wth a compass, heading back in the general direction they came from, would have eventually lead them back to the main road, somewhere along the way.

A third person wouldn't necessarily mean a third body could be found, IMO

Joshua Tree Search & Rescue

"Just to give some perspective. Four JOSAR team members, two from the dog team and two from technical/search) hiked up yesterday to pay our respects to the lost couple and determine what we could have done better. One of our dog team members spent 19 days straight, searching. Starting at 4:00 am, search till 7:00 am, go to work, then come back and search till midnight. Several search teams were very close to this location during our search. Scent for dogs travel with air flow and temperature and we discussed this while up there. How to use what we take away from visiting the actual location to improve and save lives.
We all spent many days searching in 100+ degrees. We don’t do that because we are insensitive."

https://www.facebook.com/josarorg/posts/1612807622160427

OT - Please take a moment to read the latest help request from Tricia. You can see her note called "it is urgent now" under the Missing Persons Discussion forum. Here's a snip:

"You can donate at .com or use the email websleuthsdonations@gmail.com and you can donate thru PayPal.com or Google Wallet

This is URGENT!!!

There are bills coming up that are not going to be paid and that will start the awful domino effect that could lead to real trouble for Websleuths."

There’s another hiker missing in Joshua Tree since November 19. Didn’t see a thread for him here.

http://www.kmir.com/story/36925145/missing-belgian-hiker-missing-in-joshua-tree-national-park

http://z1077fm.com/belgian-hiker-missing-in-joshua-tree-national-park/

UPDATE: 10:12 am SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 26

Belgian Hiker Still missing. Searchers are following up on on tips that he may have been spotted at Jumbo Rocks Campground today. Waiting to hear more from family.

He was located last night safe.

It says he was located but then there’s another update saying he actually wasn’t that was posted today, the 26th.

It says he was located but then there’s another update saying he actually wasn’t that was posted today, the 26th.

Yeah just reading that. Wth.

Yeah just reading that. Wth.

I feel like these mis-identifications have been happening a lot lately. What’s up with that.

A friend of my family mentioned she wanted to visit Joshua Tree over Thanksgiving and I could help but tense up. some places are just associated with awful things for me now.

UPDATE: 11:35 AM, SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 26.

HIKER LOCATED!!

Joshua Tree National Park spokesman said, “The missing hiker has been located. A misunderstanding concerning his return date was clarified and no further search is necessary.”

http://z1077fm.com/belgian-hiker-missing-in-joshua-tree-national-park/

Okay, another update from 11:35am (PST) today stating he HAS been found. I can’t find any other sources confirming this updated information just yet; hopefully it’s accurate.

A friend of my family mentioned she wanted to visit Joshua Tree over Thanksgiving and I could help but tense up. some places are just associated with awful things for me now.

I know the feeling. I can't ever go into an elevator without setting Elisa Lam's last few moments of life playing in my head.

We have nothing yet on an autopsy report? Whether they were dehydrated or not, whether she indeed had a head injury? We know she died of a GSW, but I'd like to know what else they found to give an indication as to why.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back