Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
New here and found you first with the Taylor Wright thread as she was a friend of mine. Excellent work to all of you sleuthers!

Wanted to provide a little info re Medical Examiner in this area. There isn’t a labeled ME vehicle like in other areas. Pediatric forensic cases would be sent to a different county for exam, and if called to the scene, the ME would arrive in a personal vehicle. Also, ME cases are transported via ambulance here.

Very true, and back in the day I've seen the ME come and completely be ignored by the media on site because they were driving a non marked vehicle and didn't "look" like what they expected the ME to look like (in that case, a young woman that could have passed for a young teen from a distance).

I don't know if I believe him. let's see if they still allow civilians to search today as planned

It's getting dark so I doubt it. I think once they lose some of the resources they have now with the search they will start calling in volunteers.....

There has never been one case in which something like that has occurred. Never. To fool the public to that extent would erode the public's confidence in the department in an irreparable way.

Thank you Gitana. I felt certain there was one not that long ago and it turned into quite the discussion because the child had been found before the PC but it wasn't announced until later. I guess I am remembering incorrectly.

Is anyone else thinking there are new developments, but not in time for the presser to be updated? Or that LE didn't want to tip their hands before knowing more?

YES, YES, YES! Especially at the end when the woman sheriff said they would be having another PC later, which didn't specify a day/date/time....

Actually what was said that was new is very important.... Mariah more than likely wasn't abducted and that the searching now will probably remain closer to her home. That seems pretty important information to me.....
And ... we don’t buy the story/timeline.

Wouldn't Mariah's brothers know if she was around Sunday? I mean... come on.

Unless she was "bundled up" sleeping in the car, maybe in mom's arms or in a car seat and then the bundle was "put to bed" at 6pm when they got home. This is speculation. I don't know when they got home.

But....I'm really questioning where Mariah was all day Sunday. Did she ever make it home???

jmopinion

Thank you Gitana. I felt certain there was one not that long ago and it turned into quite the discussion because the child had been found before the PC but it wasn't announced until later. I guess I am remembering incorrectly.

Sometimes a kid is being found at the same time as a presser. Or a body was found but not yet id'd. They may be processing the scene and not yet ready to publicize that an unidentified body has been found. But to outright lie and say that the child has not been found when they know she has been?

Finally, the media uses scanner chatter. They are on those scenes of bodies found like white on rice. Remember poor Kaytlynn Cargill? Helicopters circling and filming her body. Ugh.

The media would know and publicize immediately if something has been found.

Does anybody know WHERE the family is supposed to have gone on their “trip?”

It depends on the circumstances. Nowadays, most ME offices have Death Scene Investigators who will appear at the scene of the crime to collect and document the body, take pics, collect evidence that could be handy for the ME to have (e.g. bullet casings, empty drug bottles, the rope in a hanging, etc). ME's are not really trained to be on-site, they are pathologists, not evidence technicians.

Very true but they sometimes go on scene to examine and document injuries, wounds, (as that may come up in court later) determine identity and sometimes collect remains/body.

If there was a late-night visitor to their mobile home, that would have been a cause for Mariah to have awakened at midnight. Then, a door was left unlocked.

I'm wondering where the unlocked door was located. In a mobile home of that size, there are usually a minimum of two, single-sized doors. In addition, there may also be a sliding glass door.

You are so cool! Thank you.

Im stuck in LA waiting for a judge to get back from the dentist. Seriously. Four hours with no laptop or ability to do much real work. Just my phone. So I have time to watch the presser!!

You're welcome.

Oh hell! I just wish it was a better constructed presser!

I may have missed it, but did LE say that she was not abducted?

I thought they just said that they believed it is a "localized" event, which could still mean a host of things (just not an outside abduction).

I just re-listened to the presser and think this situation has changed since yesterday. There's really no plea to find her other than asking for residents to let them know of anything out of the ordinary. If they thought she were still missing how would they know that she wasn't out of the area, why just ask the locals? If she were still missing she could be anywhere. Mentioned all the "behind scenes support working on sensitive information" but at this time it would not be appropriate to discuss.

I'm pretty convinced that they have found her. At what point is LE required to notify next of kin when they have found someone? Is it after they have been identified and not found? If someone were a suspect and related to a victim keeping the discovery secret would be the smart thing to do until you have your ducks in row for prosecution, imo.

That's precisely how I took it. I thought the reporters were pressing to see if mom and bf might be in police custody or at least being questioned, but he demurred and said he didn't know where they were. Which, as you say, could easily be the truth in a literal sense even if there is more he is not telling (e.g. "I personally don't know exactly where they are at this moment but I know we're talking to them and I don't want to tell you that"). It seemed more evasive to me than implying that the police as a whole have no idea where they have gone.

Granted, my grandmother always told me to say "I don't know" when I was asked a question I didn't want to answer. She said, "That way, you can add on '... if I want to tell you or not' in your mind and you aren't lying!" So my view of that wording is a little colored. Ha!

Grandmother's know EVERYTHING, bless their hearts!!!

There feels like a massive paucity of information here. I thought I read on an MSN site that the family/the bf do have a vehicle. If so, surely they've taken cadaver dogs into it and the mobile home, and if the cadaver dog found a scent then that vehicle should be taken in for forensics.

If the mom/bf had something to do with a child coming to mortal harm, and they have access to a vehicle, then surely they would normally transport the body in the vehicle?

If the family went on some kind of trip on the Sunday or the preceding days, when/where is the last non-mom/bf sighting of Mariah? Even if they didn't go anywhere it seems like a relevant detail in this case, but it's not out there in the media. If they did travel on the Sunday and no one outside of the mom/bf saw Mariah return home, then she could have been dropped off, or worse case scenario 'buried' miles away from the mobile home park. But LE did state in the previous presser that they are doing a search based on moving outward from the mobile home. They haven't asked for gas stations or anything on the route of this trip to check surveillance camera footage to see if the family are visible on it.

Yet LE have also asked, in both pressers, for anyone who had contact with the family on the Sunday onward, as if that includes the Monday after Mariah was reported missing. Why would they want info from anyone who had contact with them on the Monday?

I don't know what to think. It's very different watching the media of a UK missing child vs a US missing child.

I would also caution that there was a recent missing person case in the UK, Gaia Pope, and three people were taken in on suspicion of murder, their homes were blocked off by tape and the media was camped outside and taking pictures of forensics officers going in and coming out of those homes. After poor Gaia's body was found, those three people were cleared by police. Where the police are searching, under mobile homes, trash cans, ponds out the back of the property, none of it means anything unless/until an official announcement is made of a significant discovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member