Jim Nabors, 'Andy Griffith Show' actor, dies at 87

Especially bittersweet here in Indiana, as he sang "Back home Again in Indiana" before nearly every Indianapolis 500 for the last four decades. He was much loved here, and his presence at the races were just another part of the rich traditions it holds.

'and when I dream about the moonlight on the Wabash, how I long for my Indiana home.'

Jim Nabors, Gomer Pyle on ‘Andy Griffith Show,’ dies
Audrey Mcavoy, Associated Press

Honolulu – Jim Nabors, the shy Alabaman whose down-home comedy made him a TV star as Gomer Pyle and whose surprisingly operatic voice kept him a favorite in Las Vegas and other showplaces, died Thursday. He was 87.

Nabors, who underwent a liver transplant in 1994 after contracting hepatitis B, died peacefully at his home in Hawaii after his health had declined for the past year, said his husband, Stan Cadwallader, who was by his side.

“Everybody knows he was a wonderful man. And that’s all we can say about him. He’s going to be dearly missed,” Cadwallader said...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/obituaries/2017/11/30/jim-nabors/108162654/

Especially bittersweet here in Indiana, as he sang "Back home Again in Indiana" before nearly every Indianapolis 500 for the last four decades. He was much loved here, and his presence at the races were just another part of the rich traditions it holds.

'and when I dream about the moonlight on the Wabash, how I long for my Indiana home.'

[video=youtube;7wcgaRkHAWY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wcgaRkHAWY[/video]

Jim Nabors, who starred as Gomer Pyle on ‘The Andy Griffith Show,’ dies at 87
by Daniella Silva and The Associated Press

Jim Nabors, the actor known for his role as the beloved “Gomer Pyle” on television comedies and for his booming operatic voice, has died. He was 87.

Nabors, who starred as Gomer Pyle on “The Andy Griffith Show” in the early 1960s and went on to have his own spinoff show, died Thursday, husband Stan Cadwallader, who was by his side, told The Associated Press.

Nabors died peacefully in his home in Hawaii, Cadwallader said.

“Everybody knows he was a wonderful man. And that’s all we can say about him. He’s going to be dearly missed,” Cadwallader told the AP...

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture...ed-gomer-pyle-andy-griffith-show-dies-n825321

The more recent races were not the same without him.

RIP.

I loved his portrayal of Gomer Pyle in the Andy Griffiths Show. There was something touchingly sweet about him and ‘Gomer’. Vale Jim.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McKeith
Back