Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #9 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well damn! I had my pop corn ready and everything. :)

ETA: The upside, at least for him, with that long of a continuance is that if he is in fact innocent of killing MW (which I believe he is) than by the time they get to any sort of plea dealing he will have been sitting in jail long enough for his lawyer to argue for time served. I know that won't make the lynch mob happy but it is what it is.

Why do you think he is innocent? I haven't made up my mind yet.

Any legal guesses as to why Earl was continued to April? Plea deal discussions in the works? He can't sit that long on the charges he has can he? I mean legally?

Why do you think he is innocent? I haven't made up my mind yet.

I personally think he is innocent of murdering her. Simply because they have not charged him yet. I feel like he confessed as to what happened, and it is a plausible explanation. More and more it is pointing to neither of the adults being guilty of the crime. Their stories must be matching up for them not to have charged mom with ANYTHING at this point.

I sure wish we knew what led him to be charged...evidence or confession.

Maybe it is wrong, but I feel myself willing to have more compassion if he did confess originally. I find myself thinking if he did confess to the rest, willingly and fairly early on, that I might like to see him offered immunity on murder charges. Well, if he was not solely responsible for her death, but I guess there-in lies the problem. So I'll let you guys do that figuring and let LE do their job.

I'm also looking fwd to websleuths' legal opinions on the continuance.

I wonder if more charges will be brought against EK prior to the April date. That sure seems like a long ways off. Why so long?

In the meantime, EK sits in jail (where I believe he belongs, of course), but I wish some legal experts would weigh in as to why his lawyer hasn't sought bail relief, considering his current charges. Or maybe that has been addressed, and I just missed it.

Wow, didn't even think about a plea deal in the works. But that's exactly what could be happening to continue it in APRIL! That's quite a continuance.

Any legal guesses as to why Earl was continued to April? Plea deal discussions in the works? He can't sit that long on the charges he has can he? I mean legally?

A continuance is just a legal procedure, it's basically saying "ok, nothing has changed up to now, there is nothing new to argue about, there are no legal issues that need addressing at the moment."

Sometimes there are a ton of continuances in a case, other times there are very few. If I was going to speculate I'd say they probably asked for it so the defense and prosecution could either work out a plea deal of some sort OR the lawyers simply need more time to work on whatever motions and other legal stuff that needs working on.

As for why there has been no bail reduction. Again, TOTALLY speculating here, but I'd bet the defense told his client to just stay in jail until he can work something out with the prosecution and also for his own safety. The longer he stays in jail the less time he'll have to serve for whatever crimes he may be convicted of or accept a plea deal on. I'd be willing to wager the defense also said to stay in jail until the media firestorm dies down and public outcry is at a minimum, that way he (the defense) will have a better shot at talking the prosecution down since the prosecutor will no longer have to worry about his or her public image in the media if they make a sweet deal with Earl.

This, of course, is all my opinion and speculation.

I think that he can if no one can go his bond/bail. If found guilty, his time served will count toward his sentence. If found not guilty, well, too bad, so sad.

Wow, didn't even think about a plea deal in the works. But that's exactly what could be happening to continue it in APRIL! That's quite a continuance.

This is not uncommon. There's a guy sitting in county, here, who has been there over two years now, $20k bond, three serious charges pending, however the fourth charge, for which he was found guilty, and was sentenced, is the charge of non-payment of fines .. If he is, at some point, found guilty of the other three, his two plus years of time served will county toward his sentence.

If I was EK and I had no culpability in Mariah’s death I would be demanding a speedy trial on the current charges. The fact that he’s just sitting tight for now leads me to believe he played some part in her death. Of course, there could be some negotiating going on behind the scenes.

I’d really like to know if LE has results back for all the evidence they submitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was EK and I had no culpability in Mariah’s death I would be demanding a speedy trial on the current charges. The fact that he’s just sitting tight for now leads me to believe he played some part in her death. Of course, there could be some negotiating going on behind the scenes.

I’d really like to know if LE has results back for all the evidence they submitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since it's been nearly a month I'm sure they have any results back by now. I'm drawing that conclusion based on the statement of the FBI when they announced they sent evidence to the FBI lab and made testing a priority. The only results I can imagine they are still waiting on is the toxicology from the autopsy.

There is the other allegation of her being sexually abused. I expect they need the time for all of that to be adjudicated on, in relation to the ongoing child custody case.

Well damn! I had my pop corn ready and everything. :)

ETA: The upside, at least for him, with that long of a continuance is that if he is in fact innocent of killing MW (which I believe he is) than by the time they get to any sort of plea dealing he will have been sitting in jail long enough for his lawyer to argue for time served. I know that won't make the lynch mob happy but it is what it is.

BBM

I don't think I will go so far as to say he or KW (the mother) is completely innocent in the child's death, because after all something caused the child to die. I am coming to the conclusion, due to the fact that no murder charges has been filed, that this child died in an accident.

JMO
My theory is the child was ran over that night after they returned home. We know that EK was already in a hostile mood by the fact that he had hit one child causing a bloody nose, so I can see how it might happen, when you have an irate man with an "adult temper" who may have decided to back up and leave to steal dressers before all the children were completely out of the vehicle. I can also see where that irate man and the mother may have panicked and decided to hide the child's body lest they both go to jail for negligence. IMO she needs to have the same charges levied against her that he has.

I don't really understand the details of all the court hearings or continuances. I am thinking that the defense is expecting his charges to go up and for this to be a major case for them, so they want the extra time after the autopsy results are in so they can start preparing a case for the final charges against him.

BBM

I don't think I will go so far as to say he or KW (the mother) is completely innocent in the child's death, because after all something caused the child to die. I am coming to the conclusion, due to the fact that no murder charges has been filed, that this child died in an accident.

JMO
My theory is the child was ran over that night after they returned home. We know that EK was already in a hostile mood by the fact that he had hit one child causing a bloody nose, so I can see how it might happen, when you have an irate man with an "adult temper" who may have decided to back up and leave to steal dressers before all the children were completely out of the vehicle. I can also see where that irate man and the mother may have panicked and decided to hide the child's body lest they both go to jail for negligence. IMO she needs to have the same charges levied against her that he has.

Did anyone else notice in some of the video footage from the week before Mariah's body was found, that Dawson Cabin Road had some brake marks on it? I don't know exactly where they were in relation to the home, but I was curious when I saw them.

Why have you suggested Mariah might have been run over? I was thinking the brake marks were unrelated, I didn't see police taking any notice of them, and no media mentioned police looking at them. Media seemed to be reporting on *everything* police did bar toilet breaks. So I'm curious why you've put forward this particular hypothesis?

Since it's been nearly a month I'm sure they have any results back by now. I'm drawing that conclusion based on the statement of the FBI when they announced they sent evidence to the FBI lab and made testing a priority. The only results I can imagine they are still waiting on is the toxicology from the autopsy.[/QUOTE]

BBM

Which leads me to believe that the autopsy yielded no evidence of a homicide or at the very least an inconclusive result.

I am sure that LE has that autopsy report back by now and still no murder charges, so the baby likely died as a result of an accident.

I am also sure LE knew that from the moment they found her body which is why they charged EK with disposing of a body and obstruction of justice right away rather than a charge of murder.

JMO

Did anyone else notice in some of the video footage from the week before Mariah's body was found, that Dawson Cabin Road had some brake marks on it? I don't know exactly where they were in relation to the home, but I was curious when I saw them.

Why have you suggested Mariah might have been run over? I was thinking the brake marks were unrelated, I didn't see police taking any notice of them, and no media mentioned police looking at them. Media seemed to be reporting on *everything* police did bar toilet breaks. So I'm curious why you've put forward this particular hypothesis?

JMO

I too saw the brake marks in the video. Given the fact that many children are ran over by parents/.grandparents entering or exiting vehicles along with the tire/skid marks I just came to that conclusion. It is not based on anything I know concrete, it just sounds like what may have reasonably happened.

As far as them panicking and hiding the body, remember you have a mother embroiled in a bitter custody battle in which her live in boyfriend has already been accused of abusing the children. Then you have a hot tempered man who has been in trouble with the law and might not feel he would be believed about what really happened.

O/T: My BIL's father ran over both my BIL's sister and brother killing them on two separate occasions. The little boy was ran over while he was sitting in the driveway playing with a toy. His father did not see him when he backed out to go to the store. Two years later the little girl fell out of the back seat of the car when the door came open (this happened many years before seat belts were mandatory) and was pulled under the car. The family never recovered completely from this double tragedy.

Since it's been nearly a month I'm sure they have any results back by now. I'm drawing that conclusion based on the statement of the FBI when they announced they sent evidence to the FBI lab and made testing a priority. The only results I can imagine they are still waiting on is the toxicology from the autopsy.[/QUOTE]

BBM

Which leads me to believe that the autopsy yielded no evidence of a homicide or at the very least an inconclusive result.

I am sure that LE has that autopsy report back by now and still no murder charges, so the baby likely died as a result of an accident.

I am also sure LE knew that from the moment they found her body which is why they charged EK with disposing of a body and obstruction of justice right away rather than a charge of murder.

JMO

That's my suspicion as well. This case never smelled like an intentional murder to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23