VA - Bethany Stephens, 21, mauled to death by her 2 dogs, Dec 2017

Jack russel terrier average weight 12-17 lbs
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-old-boy-escaped-stair-gate-attack-child.html

Pomeranian average weight 4-7lbs
https://www.dogexpert.com/fatal-dog-attack-in-california-on-infant-by-pomeranian/

Lhasa Apso average weight 11-15 lbs
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/teachers/featured_articles/20010206tuesday.html (fatal attack referenced)

Boston terrier 10-25lbs
Dachshunds 16-20 lbs
Yorkshire terrier 12-15 lbs
Ratter terrier 20-30 lbs
etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

Thanks for this SB. Eye-opening.

As I said earlier, we have a spaniel who we love dearly... she's another of our children honestly. BUT... having said that, she knows whose in control, she sleeps in her own bed at night, not in our room, away from us, yes she is "baby'd" a little and she has never ever ever shown aggression and I cannot imagine her hurting a fly (literally... I mean one time, she actually ran into our house, up onto the chair and hid behind DH because a fly landed on her head in the garden) but that doesn't mean I don't think she is capable. I don't leave her alone with children or babies and I don't allow her to think "things are ok" because she's cute and fluffy. She has respect for us as we do for her.

Also, I said earlier, we have had German Shepherds... same goes for them. Just because the dog is small (like my little King Charles) doesn't mean she is less capable than our Shep was.

Thanks for this SB. Eye-opening.

As I said earlier, we have a spaniel who we love dearly... she's another of our children honestly. BUT... having said that, she knows whose in control, she sleeps in her own bed at night, not in our room, away from us, yes she is "baby'd" a little and she has never ever ever shown aggression and I cannot imagine her hurting a fly (literally... I mean one time, she actually ran into our house, up onto the chair and hid behind DH because a fly landed on her head in the garden) but that doesn't mean I don't think she is capable. I don't leave her alone with children or babies and I don't allow her to think "things are ok" because she's cute and fluffy. She has respect for us as we do for her.

Also, I said earlier, we have had German Shepherds... same goes for them. Just because the dog is small (like my little King Charles) doesn't mean she is less capable than our Shep was.

That's beyond adorable.

That's beyond adorable.
I found our rottie trying to lick a mouse back to life in her dog bed after the cats killed it. Miss that dog tremendously. Big freaking heart she had.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

http://ktla.com/2017/12/18/mauled-b...leases-grisly-new-details-to-end-speculation/
So, let me get this straight. The sheriff believes she was killed by her own dogs due to defensive wounds on her hands, and they were feeding on her ribcage - and yet, there are those who are still trying to defend these dogs and didn't want them put down. SMDH.

Is there anyone saying those dogs shouldn't be put down? Of course they should. Just because some of us don't condemn an entire breed doesn't mean we don't think dogs gone bad should get a reprieve.

Actually, that was kinda funny and one of my daughter's chihuahuas acts something like that - not quite that bad though. Thing is, the man is still alive and well.

Here's another video that also shows truth, because it is true. Beware, it isn't quite as cute, rather disturbing because of the truth it shows and tells:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=iFa8HOdegZA

Any large dog can kill. Especially children. In a long-ranging study (14 years) of dogs who killed, Pitt bull weren't on the list at all:

A study[SUP][6][/SUP] conducted at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School identified 74 fatal dog bites during the period 1966–1980 from news media and medical literature.
Most fatalities were young children, including 23 infants under 1 year old. In most cases, the dog was owned by the victim's family. In only 3 of the incidents was the dog reported to have been provoked by kicking, hitting, or having stones thrown at it. However, several incidents involved a child attempting to pet or hug the dog.[SUP][6][/SUP]
In 6 of the incidents, there was no information available about the kind of dogs involved. In ten fatal attacks, the dogs were only described as "mixed-breed".
Many involved large and powerful molosser breeds: eight Saint Bernards, six Bull terriers, six Great Danes, two Boxers and a Rottweiler. In contrast to the time period covered other studies, the researchers found no fatal attacks attributed to any pit bulls at all.
Spitz and primitive dogs committed a significant minority of the attacks, mostly sled dog breeds (nine Huskybreeds and five Malamutes), one Chow Chow and a Basenji.
Fatal herding and working breed attacks numbered sixteen, twelve German Shepherd attacks, two collie attacks, and two involving a Doberman pinscher.
There were multiple retriever attacks, including three Golden Retrievers and a Labrador, and two attacks by very small breeds: one Dachshund, and one Yorkshire Terrier, which is among the smallest of all dogs.[SUP][6][/SUP]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

This is a very educational thread and we all can take something from it.

This is JMO
I can recall a time when a child was teasing my Gram's dog who was just a regular mixed breed dog of no special breed. He was a mid size dog and weighed about 35-40 pounds.

This dog was such a sweet baby type dog around adults. He was actually a scaredy cat type dog and if he heard loud noises or anything scared him he would go run and hide under the bed. LOL

The only time I saw agression from him was when a young child was over visiting and this child was about 8 years old. She was teasing the dog by pulling its tail whenever it walked by. Luckily nothing bad happened but I noticed the dog would turn around and snarl at the child. Which really made perfect sense because I am sure the dog did not like its tail being pulled.

The mother saw what was happening and got the child off the floor and put it in a seat so it could not bother the dog anymore.

In thinking about that experience and hearing about how lots of attacks seem to be with young children I have to wonder if over the years dogs get it in their genes that children can tease and torment them. Just wondering about that because I have even seen on TV shows how its typically a child that would tease a dog in a movie or something so maybe there is something to that.

Anyhow I agree with others about this incident. I think something happened where the dogs maybe had gotten into a fight with each other and maybe the owner tried to break up a fight.

One thing I have witnessed is when you try to break up a dog fight you have to be extremely careful as it is very dangerous and very easy that the dog will turn on you instead. I think what happens is the dog gets confused and caught up with the excitement of the dog fight and when someone tries to break them apart they dont realize you are trying to help. For all they know you are there to join in the fight and hurt them too. That is JMO on it.

And yes when dogs are in numbers the danger is much greater. I have seen on numerous occasions a small pack of strays come running through my yard and they are on a crazed mission for whatever they want to do. Nothing stops them from what they are doing. In my cases mostly just running about looking for another animal where they picked up the scent. If I call out to them to stop they just look up and sort of laugh at me and then go running off like I was not even there. So I am convinced that if a pack of dogs is attacking someone then the pack mentality takes hold and it is hard to stop an attack from multiple dogs.

My advice if walking in areas where you are likely to run into a pack of aggressive dogs would be to have a weapon of your choice to at least give yourself a fighting chance.

Anyway, great learning thread. There were some eye opening articles and I learned quite a bit from this thread. Thanks everyone.

THIS! I've thought this since the beginning.

I do want to know how these dogs were trained. Were they used as fighting or guard dogs? I doubt that they were raised as pups to be cuddly house pets.

Ok, I watch Judge Judy, and I've seen dozens of cases each year where an owner claims the dog is "great with the children" while killing other dogs while out for a walk.

I love dogs, but have cats. I've had my share of scratches and shredded sofas, but I've never been attacked by one. I give them the space they cherish and, whenever they want my company, I'm ready with the pets and scratches.

..I've had dogs all my life...mostly German Shepherds..
my family got a Shep-Pit mix about a year ago and I will say she doesn't ''back down''--especially compared to other dogs I've had
when I ''stand my ground''/rebuke her/etc, she can be ornery.....barks back at me---but not my daughter or wife
she will be ''aggressive'' when she wants to play or a bone ---in that she nudges away our arms or books/laptops we are reading
she responds differently to my wife and daughter than to me
she's nipped me a couple of times when she wants to play outside, even after I severely scolded her
she's very aggressive when she wants to play
she does seem like a great companion, friend, etc especially to my wife and daughter
she definitely does not like it when I even talk to my wife, much less hug her

but I do not trust any animals--especially owners who say their dog won't bite

My cat Baggins is a terrible cat. Black Manx monster. He acts like your dog. He has hit me several times with his paw and is super spoiled and dominant. Excessively dominant. Demands cuddling, demands play, demands everything. Very loud and willful. He has terrible temper tantrums. I think if he was a large cat he could easily kill me although it would probably be an accident!

Attachments

• IMG_3007.JPG
    IMG_3007.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 64
Apologies if already posted.

People couldn’t believe two dogs killed their owner. So the sheriff described the horror.

​https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-described-the-horror/?utm_term=.e3407bc36551

Rumors swirled around the death of Bethany Lynn Stephens, a young woman from rural Virginia who, authorities said, was mauled to death by her dogs while out on a walk last week.

Many suspected that someone else killed her and doubted that the dogs were responsible. Goochland County Sheriff Jim Agnew said the misinformation, particularly on social media, was widespread and has complicated the investigation.

So he decided to disclose one gruesome detail that he had been reluctant to divulge out of concern for Stephens’s family — in hopes of reassuring the public that there isn’t a killer on the loose.

I was only questioning the dogs killing her because of the death threats and kennel doors pried open.It certainly would seem clear they did it. Now that the new details have come out about them being in outdoor kennels after being inside dogs and having her come visit them 5 days a week. That brings to the forefront a lot of stress that those dogs were under. That is hard enough for dogs to be left in kennels all day, it makes me utterly sad. I feel as though it would feel like prison would to a human.

They get out on their walks with her, they are amped up. Also they are experiencing many outdoor sights and sounds that are scary, antagonizing (because they want to get out and venture after them) critters walking by and the frustration of not being able to get to them. They could have also been redirecting their frustration of not getting out after say a squirrel that runs by...and start attacking each other. Once they are taken out for their walks I'm sure their adrenals were surging. Once that happens dogs can't think logically, they become highly reactive to things around them. Many dogs also get very reactive and nervous at dusk and night. There are shadows and shapes that they are not used to seeing, and sounds seem to different to them.

Transitions are so difficult on dogs, just like humans. So they need more exercise and structure to be able to handle it. I can imagine that they were confused, frustrated, anxious and pent up.

Of course the hard thing about these breeds is they are no more aggressive than other breeds, but they have the unique structure and breed trait of attacking.That was what they were bred to do. So if one does get aggressive they do so much more damage. My poodle bit me so many times growing up. I think that was why I became a dog trainer. Of course she never bit me bad enough to even need stitches.

Also an area not discussed is epigenetics. This area is fascinating and is amazing how what parentsand grand parents experience can alter the expression of genes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...6ca94801fac_story.html?utm_term=.4da0ea1dd969

Which may be a basis for explaining some fears and anxieties.

My cat Baggins is a terrible cat. Black Manx monster. He acts like your dog. He has hit me several times with his paw and is super spoiled and dominant. Excessively dominant. Demands cuddling, demands play, demands everything. Very loud and willful. He has terrible temper tantrums. I think if he was a large cat he could easily kill me although it would probably be an accident!

I had a cat like that. Most of the time he was the sweetest boy, but sometimes at night, when he wanted to go out and was not allowed out at night and he knew that he wasn't allowed, just when I would get up to go to bed, he would get the big dilated pupil, evil look and get between me and the doorway into the hall and attack my legs. I could usually get past him, but he used to scare me.

But, she did the best she could for those dogs. Her living circumstances changed and she could not keep them but she went five times a week to tend to them. That is pretty good for a 21 year old, IMO.

I have had children dump their dogs on me, and they did not come to see them or me, that many times a week.

Apologies if already posted.

People couldn’t believe two dogs killed their owner. So the sheriff described the horror.

​https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-described-the-horror/?utm_term=.e3407bc36551

Article also states:
Nothing that said domestic violence. Nothing that said she was stabbed. Nothing that said she was shot. No bones, no injuries to the throat area . . . There was no particular bleeding inside the esophagus, which would’ve been conducive with choking her out. None of that,” Whitlock told reporters.
There is also no evidence that she had been sexually assaulted, authorities said.

Article also states:
Nothing that said domestic violence. Nothing that said she was stabbed. Nothing that said she was shot. No bones, no injuries to the throat area . . . There was no particular bleeding inside the esophagus, which would’ve been conducive with choking her out. None of that,” Whitlock told reporters.
There is also no evidence that she had been sexually assaulted, authorities said.

So if no blood in those areas of the throat...any guesses on mechanism of action that actually resulted in her demise? (Asking group, as well). I'm afraid we're all going down this trail without consideration to several red flags.

So if no blood in those areas of the throat...any guesses on mechanism of action that actually resulted in her demise? (Asking group, as well). I'm afraid we're all going down this trail without consideration to several red flags.

What are the red flags?

Didn't they say in an early PC that her throat was injured? Are they now saying it wasn't???

I'm so confused. moo

The issue with there being no injury to the throat confuses me even further. When dogs attack to kill, they go for the throat, at least with other animals from what I have personally seen. It is very odd to me that at some point they did not even touch the throat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

From early on:

He told the news station: "It appeared the attack was a violent attack initiated by the victims' dogs while the victim was out for a walk with the dogs."The victim had defensive wounds on her hands and arms trying to keep the dogs away from her, which would be consistent with being attacked while she was still alive."

Agnew said he didn't have a history on the animals but said they were "big, strong, powerful dogs" that "you would suspect were bred for fighting, just in looking at them."

Agnew said: “It appears the first traumatic injury she suffered was to her was to her throat and face.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wo...y-Lynn-Stephens-death-found-woods-mauled-dogs

bbm

Tori Trent trained the male dogs Tonka and Pac-man since they were pups. They were from the same litter and were around two and a half years old. Stephen adopted Tonka at eight weeks old and friends said she later adopted Pac-Man from a home that was abusive."

... Stephens left the dogs with her father, and Blackwood said; “he wasn’t taking care of them – it wasn’t his responsibility.”

http://via.wtvr.com/tVQu5

ETA Also in this article, a neighbor heard screams in the woods but blew it off!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back