GUILTY Fl - Dan Markel, 41, Fsu Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #5 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murder trial delayed again for gunman accused of Dan Markel slaying
Karl Etters, Democrat staff writer Published 2:27 p.m. ET Dec. 19, 2017 | Updated 7:21 p.m. ET Dec. 19, 2017

“The discovery in this case from the inception has been kind of overwhelming,” Zengeneh told Leon Circuit Judge James Hankinson.

Garcia was set for trial in late January. Zengeneh asked for a six-month delay so crime scene and other experts could have time to review the mountain of documents.

After the hearing, he declined to elaborate on his defense strategy but said he would be ready within the six months.

“This is an extremely interesting situation in terms of an evidentiary case,” he said. “It’s a tragic case, obviously, but the way things are unfolding, we’re going to have a very unique and unexpected defense.”

Zengeneh and Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman, who opposed the delay, will return Jan. 3 for a case management conference.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...yed-again-dan-markel-fsu-professor/964260001/

Murder trial delayed again for gunman accused of Dan Markel slaying
Karl Etters, Democrat staff writer Published 2:27 p.m. ET Dec. 19, 2017 | Updated 7:21 p.m. ET Dec. 19, 2017

“The discovery in this case from the inception has been kind of overwhelming,” Zengeneh told Leon Circuit Judge James Hankinson.

Garcia was set for trial in late January. Zengeneh asked for a six-month delay so crime scene and other experts could have time to review the mountain of documents.

After the hearing, he declined to elaborate on his defense strategy but said he would be ready within the six months.

“This is an extremely interesting situation in terms of an evidentiary case,” he said. “It’s a tragic case, obviously, but the way things are unfolding, we’re going to have a very unique and unexpected defense.”

Zengeneh and Assistant State Attorney Georgia Cappleman, who opposed the delay, will return Jan. 3 for a case management conference.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...yed-again-dan-markel-fsu-professor/964260001/
Oh come on! Does the public have the right to a trial within a normal time frame?! Never mind, I know the answer to that, but this is ridiculous! Stalling tactics are in full play here.

At the end of 6 months, SG's atty may say, oops, I'm off the case. Someone new will be stepping in and he/she will need a year to get up to speed.

Who is paying SG's attorney fees and does it really matter? All he's being asked to do is stall.

Just a question to "Fifty". Do you know the last time Dan's family saw the kids and how do you know that? I wonder if that "slipped" email from Dan's family to GC about child services taking the kids after arrests were made put a kabosh on that.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I'm not going to go into how I know that. But obviously the Markels also know that and it is interesting they, or people close to them on this forum, don't correct it.

Also, it seems surprising that the "child services" letter was not mentioned in the TV show. But of course, and I'm trying to be sensitive to all parties here, that's a major turning point in any kind of interaction. I think, as my personal opinion, that going that route was probably a mistake and one that is hard to take back.

The obvious other segment in the Investigative Discovery dramatized that I believe this forum has debunked thoroughly is that Wendi was somehow nodding and watching the initial trip LR/SG made, as in the videoed statement from LR.

If I recall properly, it came out during one of the following court proceedings that this was not factually correct (and that would make sense, because if it was true Wendi would certainly not be ruled out as a suspect, as has been basically confirmed many times even in this reporting). But that is worse TV, and a more complex story than probably they wanted to present.

FIFTY

Just a question to "Fifty". Do you know the last time Dan's family saw the kids and how do you know that? I wonder if that "slipped" email from Dan's family to GC about child services taking the kids after arrests were made put a kabosh on that.

I'm not going to go into how I know that. But obviously the Markels also know that and it is interesting they, or people close to them on this forum, don't correct it.

Also, it seems surprising that the "child services" letter was not mentioned in the TV show. But of course, and I'm trying to be sensitive to all parties here, that's a major turning point in any kind of interaction. I think, as my personal opinion, that going that route was probably a mistake and one that is hard to take back.

The obvious other segment in the Investigative Discovery dramatized that I believe this forum has debunked thoroughly is that Wendi was somehow nodding and watching the initial trip LR/SG made, as in the videoed statement from LR.

If I recall properly, it came out during one of the following court proceedings that this was not factually correct (and that would make sense, because if it was true Wendi would certainly not be ruled out as a suspect, as has been basically confirmed many times even in this reporting). But that is worse TV, and a more complex story than probably they wanted to present.

FIFTY
Hey Fifty- Another thing IMO that people don't mention is WA tried to drive by (to buy liquor at a place around the corner from Dan's instead of one that would have been easier and on her way to lunch) at noon on the day of the murder. She saw all the hub bub in her old neighborhood and thought it must have been a downed tree. Perhaps she missed seeing all the police cars there.
(Impossible).

It is my opinion, that she either had to drive by herself just to see if "it" went down, or she went by to verify for her family that "it" had happened. When SG and Rivera called KM a while later to let her know they got the deed done,
KM already knew it had happened.

How? It will be interesting to see if WA called home around noon.

I am not ready to exonerate WA just yet. I believe there is blood on her hands too.

Obviously everyone has different opinions. But the scenario you are indicating, where-in you posit WA as a "lookout" and co-conspirator with pre-knowledge of the event (as per LR), is not supported by the evidence we have seen made public, (such as cell phone traffic and video of her quite genuine reaction, her not immediately asking for a lawyer despite being one and knowing better, what we know of her email, her decision to continue visiting with the Markels during the period after the murder assuming you believe me, character witnesses in the 20/20 episode, etc.), and does not appear to be something Law Enforcement or Above the Law, is taking seriously.

Also, we know she did not call home around noon. We know from the tape she called her mother from the police station.

Indeed, in light of this, the police's choice to make public her *advertiser censored* browsing history has to be viewed as an additional and rather grievous victimization (to what end?!?), and her decision to change her children's names from an ex husband who was emotionally abusive (according to JL) and clearly associated with severe trauma (according to all common sense) seem quite normal. Likewise, would you visit with your ex-in-laws after you found out they were planning to attempt to take your kids away? I imagine not.

These kinds of situations make everyone involved insane, blinded by rage or fear or greed or other base emotions, unable to see subtleties that of course also come through poorly on prime time TV. Personally, I believe your take on the case to be off base, or at least, not supported by current evidence that this forum has access to, and that somehow fomenting a witch hunt against WA is in that sense unjust.

Obviously everyone has different opinions. But the scenario you are indicating, where-in you posit WA as a "lookout" and co-conspirator with pre-knowledge of the event (as per LR), is not supported by the evidence we have seen made public, (such as cell phone traffic and video of her quite genuine reaction, her not immediately asking for a lawyer despite being one and knowing better, what we know of her email, her decision to continue visiting with the Markels during the period after the murder assuming you believe me, character witnesses in the 20/20 episode, etc.), and does not appear to be something Law Enforcement or Above the Law, is taking seriously.

Also, we know she did not call home around noon. We know from the tape she called her mother from the police station.

Indeed, in light of this, the police's choice to make public her *advertiser censored* browsing history has to be viewed as an additional and rather grievous victimization (to what end?!?), and her decision to change her children's names from an ex husband who was emotionally abusive (according to JL) and clearly associated with severe trauma (according to all common sense) seem quite normal. Likewise, would you visit with your ex-in-laws after you found out they were planning to attempt to take your kids away? I imagine not.

These kinds of situations make everyone involved insane, blinded by rage or fear or greed or other base emotions, unable to see subtleties that of course also come through poorly on prime time TV. Personally, I believe your take on the case to be off base, or at least, not supported by current evidence that this forum has access to, and that somehow fomenting a witch hunt against WA is in that sense unjust.
I believe the "*advertiser censored* browsing site" was somehow related to Dan's new girlfriend and had nothing to do with WA's looking at *advertiser censored*.

We do know she spoke with her brother...twice the morning of the murder.

WA doesn't strike me as a shrinking violet. And how do you know she was emotionally abused? Did anyone witness that? I don't recall anyone saying that except from the besotted boyfriend who only heard it from WA.

Anyone who could accomplish academically what she did, teach college classes, write a book, bear and raise 2 boys, move furniture and her 2 boys out of the house while Dan was away is simply....mind boggling. She also landed her dream job working for a judge who was nominated by Obama for the Supreme Court! I'd say this woman knew exactly what she wanted and with laser focus, went after it.

I don't know that we know the extent of what LE knows re WA...only what we've heard from WA herself and documented facts from LE. And it ain't pretty.

Oh my! My brother joked about hiring a hitman! Oh gee, I hope he didn't really do it! Just gag me. She knew.

Now I'm on a roll. lol! WA didn't like living in Tallahassee, under Dan's shadow, she wanted to be back in Miami with mommy and daddy;she couldn't leave because of custody issues,they couldn't buy the kids from Dan, so they killed him. I hope they all rot in jail before they all rot in hell.

LR never said that he saw WA. His story was that he asked SG who the lady looking at them was and that SG said that the lady was Wendi.

LR never reported seeing Wendi and the prior court proceedings demonstrate that she was not in the area at the time. SG was mistaken about the identity of the lady they saw. But LR never claimed that the lady was WA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The People video and the blurb in their magazine has certainly put the Markel
murder front and center again. I've had a number of calls from people who are aware of my interest in this particular case. Their reactions are usually the same. "Why has no one been to trial
on this?!"

Hopefully Magbanua has not moved for a continuance yet because they are working out a plea deal. We can only hope.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1436700A-B34E-40CE-A345-07E0CF9B4306.jpeg
    1436700A-B34E-40CE-A345-07E0CF9B4306.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 194
KM should be in court this morning for a case management conference. Anxiously awaiting updates.

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...n-markel-slaying-suspect-magbanua/1000181001/
Trial delayed for Dan Markel slaying suspect Magbanua
Published 1:01 p.m. ET Jan. 3, 2018 | Updated 1:39 p.m. ET Jan. 3, 2018
The parents of slain Florida State law professor Dan Markel are expressing concern over another delay of another trial of another person suspected of their son's killing. They also say they have not been able to see their grandchildren in almost two years.
The trial for Katherine Magbanua, an alleged associate in what investigators say was the murder-for-hire plot to kill Markel, was moved to October.
[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member