Deaths of Male College Students-General Discussion #6

We have another one in Pittsburgh - Patrick Rohal.

Patrick disappeared approximately 1/2 block from where Paul Kochu lived. I live in Pittsburgh and work in Birmingham Towers - which is right next to the Birmingham Bridge and directly across the street from Paul Kochu's home. I YET AGAIN have to go to work seeing every telephone pole posted with another MISSING poster.

The “rumor” is that the “Smiley Face Killer” theory is actually being investigated. Every one of these cases fit.

This is THREE (3) disappearances of white males that all are very similar in build, height, etc. Paul Kochu disappeared on 12/16/14; Dakota James on 1/25/17; now Patrick on 11/15/17. Paul and Dakota could have been Brothers and BOTH attended Duquesne University. in appearance and all three disappeared in almost identical situations, at the same time of year – Nov, Dec. and Jan. ALL WERE ON FOOT.

I, myself, am also concerned as there is A FOURTH that should be included - the 12/7/11 disappearance and death of Jimmy Slack, who disappeared from the North Side after attending a concert at Stage AE, which is right next to the river, also. Again, death was “undetermined” when his body was found in the river. This was an odd case – went to a concert with a friend who he separated from. That friend reached Slack on his cell phone at 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. and he said, "I am still partying." At 3am, he said he would probably walk home.

Jimmy Slack – 25 y.o. 5’10, 165 lbs. Blonde hair/blue eyes 12/07/11
Paul Kochu - 22 y.o. 6’1, 180 lbs. Brown Hair/blue eyes 12/16/14
Dakota James – 23 y.o. 5’8, 140 lbs. Brown Hair//blue eyes 01/25/17
Patrick Rohal – 30 y.o (looks younger) 5’8, 170 lbs. brown hair/brown eyes 11/15/17

Statistics from the county medical examiner’s office show that the bodies of only six victims of accidental or undetermined drownings were recovered from the Mon, the Allegheny or the Ohio in winter months during a 10-year span between 2006 and 2016. Two of those are listed right here.

Paul Kochu was found without clothing and it is public knowledge that his case is NOT “closed” and it is considered a “Suspicious death”.

If you want to go even further . . . these men also disappeared without a trace

Zackery Sheets – 19 y.o. 5’9, 160 lbs. Brown hair/blue eyes – disappeared from Plum (Pgh), PA on 02/19/17. Plum borders the Allegheny River. Disappeared at 10:30 at night, on foot.

Donald Smetlak – 25 y.o. 6’1, 230 lbs. Brown hair/hazel eyes. Disappeared from Oakland (Pgh.) 01/28/06. This is directly across from the South Side where Kochu and Rohal disappeared. Last contact was around 4:00 pm on the day of disappearance – he was supposed to go see a friend that evening. Car was found in middle of Winter in Oakland with the windows down.

A VERY LONG STRETCH . . .

Andrew Karis – 19 y.o. 5’8, 130 lbs. Brown Hair/Hazel eyes. Disappeared from CMU (in Oakland/Pgh) 03/01/93 and has never been heard from again. “Suspicious” circumstances. POSSIBLE that he might have been in NYC and San Francisco in 1995.

It’s all so very tragic! But what is their motive? I’m not too sure it’s only just to hold them for x number of days and torture them however they flippin want. It’s way bigger...I also don’t think they could ever be stopped. Too many blind people and LE who don’t care.
IMOO

I noticed that most of the boys have a similar face, square. Also same kind of eyes and nose.

Maybe they are meant to be sold, and when that doesn't happen they kill them and deposit them in water close to where they disappeared. I know, I feel sick even writing this but it's an option.

Maybe they are meant to be sold, and when that doesn't happen they kill them and deposit them in water close to where they disappeared. I know, I feel sick even writing this but it's an option.

That would mean that there would be a ton of missing college age males. Are there? No.

It would also mean that the bodies fished out of the rivers would have evidence of blunt force trauma, gun shot wounds, or stabbing wounds. Have they? No.

This is my very first Websleuths post and it's from my phone so forgive the typos.

My theory is that this is a coming of age ritual for a religious sect. There have been "survivors" that have told the same story despite being from different geographical regions. In general, they got separated from their friends while out drinking, then a van with several men inside pulls up, asks the male to come with them and then they pursue the college male if he doesn't go willingly. I think it is possible a younger male or pubescent male that does the killing and the older men do the abducting. Could explain how they got into a bar or are able to drive. It could also explain why some males survive (if the boy going through his rite of passage wasn't strong enough or able to kill). Just my thoughts. Has anyone looked at whether each of the big "kill zones" have sister cities in common that would take on refugees coming from countries with unique religious sects (such as Romani -- not saying it is that particular cult/people).

The case interests me and scares me. I'm from the Great Lakes region and my brother currently lives in a college town in an off campus apartment. He's older than college age but fits the bill in the other regards. There have been several suspect cases near where we are from that make me question things. There was a man from Crown Point, IN that text his mother that he was on his way home. Then he was found submerged in his car several miles in the opposite direction from his house. And not to mention the numerous college aged males that have been pulled from Lake Michigan in Chicago.

If this was just a bunch of random college guys getting too drunk and walking into bodies of water, then why don't we see this happening in large scale in resort areas such as Cancun or others?

You are right on point with your last comment. This isn't happening to females or males of other races, not in these high numbers anyways. This is happening to young, white males. It's very scary.

Do we know if Adam Gilbertson who was just found deceased in a river near Denver, CO could be a victim of the SFK? I'm not sure when they'll have his autopsy report back.

This is my very first Websleuths post and it's from my phone so forgive the typos.

My theory is that this is a coming of age ritual for a religious sect. There have been "survivors" that have told the same story despite being from different geographical regions. In general, they got separated from their friends while out drinking, then a van with several men inside pulls up, asks the male to come with them and then they pursue the college male if he doesn't go willingly. I think it is possible a younger male or pubescent male that does the killing and the older men do the abducting. Could explain how they got into a bar or are able to drive. It could also explain why some males survive (if the boy going through his rite of passage wasn't strong enough or able to kill). Just my thoughts. Has anyone looked at whether each of the big "kill zones" have sister cities in common that would take on refugees coming from countries with unique religious sects (such as Romani -- not saying it is that particular cult/people).

The case interests me and scares me. I'm from the Great Lakes region and my brother currently lives in a college town in an off campus apartment. He's older than college age but fits the bill in the other regards. There have been several suspect cases near where we are from that make me question things. There was a man from Crown Point, IN that text his mother that he was on his way home. Then he was found submerged in his car several miles in the opposite direction from his house. And not to mention the numerous college aged males that have been pulled from Lake Michigan in Chicago.

If this was just a bunch of random college guys getting too drunk and walking into bodies of water, then why don't we see this happening in large scale in resort areas such as Cancun or others?

BBM, and also, using your post as a jumping off point to discuss my own thoughts.

We don't see this happening in the summer or hot weather areas because it's the cold water that kills - hypothermic shock makes you falling in much more deadly. And oceans are a gradual decline and usually don't get that deep right away, and are warm. You have to actually drown and unless you are blasted to the point of unconsciousness, that's a lot less likely without some unusual ocean circumstances like a rip tide. It's the combination of drinking, cold weather, cold water that leads to more deaths.

I'm not really a believer of this theory, BUT if someone was targeting young men to kill, dumping them in cold rivers/lakes are your best bet. Often it takes a lot longer for bodies to surface, potentially covering up any signs of foul play. In resort areas there are a lot more people around, partying all the time. More chance of discovery. Whereas in the winter, cold night, not too many people choose to walk home by themselves, creating isolated, vulnerable victims. Maybe even more likely to accept a ride from a stranger with a warm car.

On the other hand, women are much more likely NOT too walk home under these circumstances - late night, cold weather, potentially sketchy/isolated areas. They would get a ride from a trusted friend or walk in well-lighted city areas. Thus why it's men, not women. Men, young men, especially, I believe are at lot more likely to "man up" and either under-estimate or dismiss the cold and danger and level of their own intoxication. Guys don't think about their safety in the same way females do.

FYI, my boyfriend says as soon as he steps outside when it's really cold, he has a strong urge to urinate. Combine that with drinking, and it's a recipe for really having to go - wherever.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's just so far-fetched too me (perhaps a failure of imagination or naïveté on my part) - a nationwide serial-killer cult? I can buy that some of these are foul play for various motives or circumstances that can't be solved because too much time has passed and the COD is undetermined, but it's really hard to imagine a large collaborative collective and what the motive might be.

I too find it ridiculous that so many young men can stumble into a body of water, even after a night of drinking. Investigators love to say that the men were intoxicated and probably went to the body of water to urinate. However, having been a young college student at one point in my life, on a very large campus, with many bodies of water, I have never felt compelled to walk over to them in order to pee. In fact, guys will typically pee just about anywhere, the back alley of the bar, against a car, on a wall etc...they don't go on a long walk to some river bank, especially if its freezing outside.

I find it very telling that most these men are attractive, white, and level-headed. This seems like there is profile at work here. Where are the fat and out of shape college men falling into water, or African-American, or even someone a little older? Why all college students? These are all common variables that lead me to believe something nefarious is at work here. If men just happened to drink and fall into water, you would see this happening across the spectrum, white, black, Asian, college students, non-college students etc...the fact this is limited to a very specific "type" tells me there is more to at play than "accidental" events. Accidents don't discriminate on race, age, or body type.

My theory: There is a homosexual killer(s) with a penchant for travel, visiting these places and killing these men. I think this person might be independently wealthy (hence the freedom to travel), or works in the airline industry, air marshal, pilot, flight attendant.

I would really like to see a comprehensive examination of these victims' sexual orientation. I have noticed a handful of them are indeed gay. However, that alone would not stop a killer from being interested in someone they might have grown fond of. However, it would make it easier to communicate with them via dating apps.

I suggest anyone wanting more information into the SFK is to watch a documentary by William Ramsey. And also follow the FB page of smiley face killers America which is ran by a man named Jim Smith.

https://www.facebook.com/Smiley-Face-Killers-America-1993233780901860/

And here’s the link to William Ramsey’s documentary. It’s over 3hrs long so it’s extremely informative IMOO

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/smileyface

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for posting this link. I didn't know about this documentary. I'm definitely going to watch it.

The most recent episode of Breaking Homicide on ID covers the Smiley Face Killers/The River Killers. The episode is called "Secrets of the River" parts 1 and 2. It will be replayed tonight and on 5/6 at 6am. https://g.co/kgs/SGJf9p

It starts as one case (Chris Jenkins) then in part 2 the concept of The River Killers comes up.

Am I wrong for thinking they all just drowned while drunk?

No you are entitled to an opinion just as we all are. But how do you explain the cases where there were survivors? Or cases where the friend group of the missing-then-turned-up-drowned guy have said that they didn't drink in excess and have had bar tabs to prove they only had 1 or 2 beers/drinks before being separated from the group? Or how a drunk person scaled a tall fence to get to the river?

I'm not opining that ALL drunk men that drown are SFK. And I do think Gannon and Duarte did their theory a huge disservice by attaching smiley face graffiti to the areas these men turn up. So yes, drunk men do drown. But to the disproportionate percent in some areas of the US?? It can't all be chalked up to boys will be boys. . .

I have a spreadsheet with names and locations of victims. Yes, drunk men do drown. Sometimes college aged men do silly stuff to impress friends. All men on my spreadsheet were walking (not doing water related activities which cause most drownings) alone (dismissing the theory they were trying to impress someone), separated from friends or kicked out of bars. After almost 20 years of tracking these, many I feel are robbery attempts, some were attempts to take advantage of men sexually, some were jokes gone wrong and some were set up by bar employees. Difficult to know and figure out what happened because no one wants to talk.

Last edited:
Drunk college aged men and women are considered easy targets for many types of predators. Police do not have the manpower or the willingness to look into every drowning, so they rule them accidents. The family has to hire people to look into every last detail of the last place they were seen. Kudos to the families who have the strength and the money to do so. Many do not.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher