GUILTY NY - Shanta Myers, 36, Brandi Mells, 22, & 2 kids slain, Troy, 26 Dec 2017 *Arrest*

My understanding is the counts of murder is not solely based on how many people were murdered. It’s the way they were murdered and that it was multiple murders in the same crime. Basically prosecution is throwing every possible charge at them. Even if it’s plead out.. they will be lifers in prison .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An Xbox and flat screen TV...
She must've aquired those recently, because IIRC, one of her FB posts specified an Xbox or PS3 were on her Christmas wishlist for her kids. [emoji852]️ Can't even share info like that on the internet without worrying about somebody harming you for it. Shouldn't have to worry about being murdered for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So maybe since JM was an acquaintance, he discovered she successfully obtained an Xbox as a gift for the kids. JMO

Life is cheap to some people. Murders have happened over billions of dollars, and over issues as trifling as "he looked at me wrong." Murders have happened with no motive at all, simply because Life Is Cheap to some people. There isn't necessarily a motive, and if there is (and we ever find out), it's not necessarily anything that is going to make sense to us. We're all here because we think that every life is precious, that every life counts. But if life wasn't cheap to some people, there would be no need for a Websleuths. Arguing that this crime would or would never happen over a small amount of marijuana, or because someone would or would not kill children over a small amount of money, or drugs, or because the moon was full or whatever, ignores the fact that murders happen all the time, to victims of all ages, simply because life is cheap to some people. There's no "code of conduct" for criminals, no minimum $ limit or ethical boundary or internal logic that applies across the board. You can't really use "the mindset of reasonable people who are interested in justice to the point that they frequent Websleuths" as the standard for what a criminal would or wouldn't do or think. Of course it doesn't make sense to us that someone might kill a family for a small amount of money, or a small amount of drugs--because none of us would ever think of doing such a thing. When the motive does become public, whatever it is, it will seem small, and petty, and incomprehensible to us, because we're not people who would ever deliberately kill someone for any reason short of self-defense.

snipped and bbm

Mouse, I was nodding my head in agreement to the points you made. We (IMO) will always be baffled by other people's calculations when it comes to the value of a life. Some people, when weighing the impact of the deed against the ill-gotten gains, will always come to the conclusion that a certain "thing" is more valuable than a certain life.

You hit the nail on the head with your well-written post. Thank You.

States they took the x box and tv. These are additional charges that can be brought to the judge to lengthen the sentence. It did not state that this was the motive behind the murders. Granted criminals kill at the drop of a dime. Step back... they went there for an x box and flat screen tv. Victims were home... so then they slit their throats, tied them
Up ...two being minors ... one entering when they were in the process of killing over two store items . Nope... don’t buy it. There’s more to it.

When I told dh about robbery possibly being the motive, he said (paraphrase): Nope, they just like to kill. Some ppl are like that.

~jmo~

Whatever the reason it is extremely sad and difficult to understand.
And I don’t think race has anything to do with the group thoughts about the suspects (someone posted this theory). They HAD to have convincing evidence to get the DA to sign for arrest warrants. And it appears they had more evidence than they shared which is usually the case.

I haven't been here I think since the Caylee Anthony murder. I live in a high crime city very close to Troy NY and when I heard this first break on the news I was shocked, when I saw the photos of the victims then heartbroken. Various news outlets mainly national were reporting erroneous info. I"ve seen the surviving son and a cousin on TV and can't begin to imagine what they are going through : ( Then I heard two arrests made and find the two accused live a block away from me. I like many here had various 'theories" but cannot and never will understand how someone could kill a child (children) As you know there was also an entire family killed in Guilderland not so many years ago and it was never solved. I am glad arrest made in this case. One confusing thing is the report that a flat screen TV and x box stolen, how did the accused carry them on a bus? Or did they leave them somewhere to pick up later. I know today is a memorial for the mother and two children. I've never met them or their family but they are all in my prayers and thoughts. We live in a world where evil exists and it's very scary.

I haven't been here I think since the Caylee Anthony murder. I live in a high crime city very close to Troy NY and when I heard this first break on the news I was shocked, when I saw the photos of the victims then heartbroken. Various news outlets mainly national were reporting erroneous info. I"ve seen the surviving son and a cousin on TV and can't begin to imagine what they are going through : ( Then I heard two arrests made and find the two accused live a block away from me. I like many here had various 'theories" but cannot and never will understand how someone could kill a child (children) As you know there was also an entire family killed in Guilderland not so many years ago and it was never solved. I am glad arrest made in this case. One confusing thing is the report that a flat screen TV and x box stolen, how did the accused carry them on a bus? Or did they leave them somewhere to pick up later. I know today is a memorial for the mother and two children. I've never met them or their family but they are all in my prayers and thoughts. We live in a world where evil exists and it's very scary.

Hello, depressed8. I'm back on WS after a long absence, too -- It was this case in particular that sparked my return.

IIRC, I read in a previous post (I'm sorry -- I can't provide the specific post#) these men did indeed have the TV and Xbox on the bus. How, I can't imagine, but it's apparently fact.

(And a personal note, on account of your username: Take care of yourself through your reading. I think I know my limits by now, but it sure is tough when the passion for justice competes with the overwhelm of looking evil in the face in very great detail. *fist-bump* Welcome back.)

(Edited for typo)

Should prosecutor have monitored interrogation in Troy?

Initially, Mann was sent to jail on a parole violation. District Attorney Joel Abelove's office held off on a preliminary hearing. At issue was the admissibility of a statement Mann allegedly made to a State Police investigator and a Troy police detective.

More at link above.

~jmo~

Should prosecutor have monitored interrogation in Troy?

Initially, Mann was sent to jail on a parole violation. District Attorney Joel Abelove's office held off on a preliminary hearing. At issue was the admissibility of a statement Mann allegedly made to a State Police investigator and a Troy police detective.

More at link above.

~jmo~
Oh Lord, I hope he doesn't get off on a technicality. Hope they have enough other evidence.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh Lord, I hope he doesn't get off on a technicality. Hope they have enough other evidence.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’m sure they do. At this point it would be what he stated as inadmissible during the line of questioning . DNA, video or any other evidence would more than likely be admissible. Even in cases where Miranda rights are not given it’s only what the accused states that is inadmissible during that line of interrogation .

Any updates on this case? It's been on my mind again lately.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back