Found Alive TX - Courtney Roland, 29, Houston, 6 Jan 2018

[FONT=&amp]It also said that Roland's mother received a text on Sunday from missing daughter’s phone number saying: "Hello the owner of this phone Courtney. I am buying an iPad."
[/FONT]
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/journalist-courtney-roland-reported-missing-houston-texas-n835646

This text about the ipad is just weird - I'm guessing Brian means that the purchase part of the text isn't valid, but what is the deal with the text? Ramblings of someone having a breakdown or some bizaare game-playing by an abductor?

It kind of sounds like automated text - like a computer-generated message where it fills in the person's name?
It strikes me as a bad text to speech conversion. At first I was thinking if you were in a situation with your phone where you couldn't type but could speak, you might try to send one. Not sure if Apple let's you use a voice command but I could tell my android "Ok Google, text mom, help me I've been abducted." And then tell it to send.

Sometimes the speech recognition is way off. I was trying to think of words that would sound like the text but now that maybe she was seen Sunday it seems moot.

The galleria would be probably the most video surveillance heavy shopping area in Houston. Not a place you would dump a vehicle or abduct someone, I don't think, unless you were very brazen. I imagine the confusion about if she was alone or not is a result of the sheer amount of people around.

Just my 2 cents
Doc

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Is the speech recognition bad enough that "being abducted" would translate to "buying an iPad"?

Hmmmm I was just reading reddit and someone thought maybe voice to text i.e. the owner of this phone Courtney...is being abducted (sounds like a muffled i bought an ipad).

That's a really interesting thought - does it show on either the sender or receiver's phone if it was a voice to text message?

It strikes me as a bad text to speech conversion. At first I was thinking if you were in a situation with your phone where you couldn't type but could speak, you might try to send one. Not sure if Apple let's you use a voice command but I could tell my android "Ok Google, text mom, help me I've been abducted." And then tell it to send.

Sometimes the speech recognition is way off. I was trying to think of words that would sound like the text but now that maybe she was seen Sunday it seems moot.

The galleria would be probably the most video surveillance heavy shopping area in Houston. Not a place you would dump a vehicle or abduct someone, I don't think, unless you were very brazen. I imagine the confusion about if she was alone or not is a result of the sheer amount of people around.

Just my 2 cents
Doc

Yes, you can instruct an iPhone to do things like "Hey Siri, text Mom [text]". And yes, it could have quite easily came out as something different e.g. the bought an iPad/I've been abducted thing. But I'm stopped from thinking that could be the explanation as it seems to coincidental for Siri to misunderstand it as being "I bought an iPad" when she just so happened to supposedly be near an Apple store at Galleria. Also, I can't work out the "owner of this phone Courtney" thing. Not a whole lot of this makes sense.

I am interested in what exactly she bought at Walgreens. I’ve seen several cases with pharmacy visits prior to a missing report that have ended up in suicide or attempted suicide. I hope she is found safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the speech recognition bad enough that "being abducted" would translate to "buying an iPad"?

That would depend on how you said it. Personally (as an iPhone, iPad and Macbook user) I think the speech recognition (Siri) is pretty good and it would definitely pick up me saying "I've been abducted" and be able to type it out but that is based on me telling Siri this in a normal, clear tone.

I saw traffic of the area after Harvey...wonder if it has slowed down....

Monday morning, should be busy in the am.

No. It is horrendous. I was there last weekend and it took 1 hour just to find a parking space. It is a sprawling mass of parking garages and high end stores.

Yes, you can instruct an iPhone to do things like "Hey Siri, text Mom [text]". And yes, it could have quite easily came out as something different e.g. the bought an iPad/I've been abducted thing. But I'm stopped from thinking that could be the explanation as it seems to coincidental for Siri to misunderstand it as being "I bought an iPad" when she just so happened to supposedly be near an Apple store at Galleria. Also, I can't work out the "owner of this phone Courtney" thing. Not a whole lot of this makes sense.

What if the abductor typed that? It could be that English is not his native language.

What if the abductor typed that? It could be that English is not his native language.

Could be. I would still expect Apple's over active auto correct to jump in. Unless it did and that was the closest thing it could work out.

Wow!!! Good news!!!!

I wonder what happened???

Amen!

I just saw about her disappearance this morning on the news, and just this minute finished reading through the entire thread. My gut said this was a voluntary disappearance, I'm so glad she was found safe! :)

Sweet...FOUND

There is way too much conflicting info on this case. It makes it really hard to try and figure out what might have happened. I’m really bothered by the story of the man in the blue truck. If Im being followed home in the middle of the night, and I’m scared enough to let my friend/roommate know what’s going on and give a vehicle description, the last thing I’m going to do is pull into my driveway and exit my vehicle! If he blocks me in by pulling in behind me he’s going to have to break some glass to get to me and I’m going to be on the phone with 911, honking my horn, screaming, backing into his truck, and doing whatever else I can do to get the attention of a neighbor or my roommate. It also stated that when she exited her vehicle the man was scared off.....umm what?!?!?! This man is bold enough to follow you home, and block you in your driveway, but when you step out all alone he runs?!?! Something about that just doesn’t sit right with me! I hope this sinking feeling in my gut is completely wrong! I hope this gorgeous young lady is ok and returns home to her family very soon!

I'm still trying to get through the entire thread to get caught up but this is what stuck out to me at first too! Why would she go home, park, and get out of her car if she was scared? I would continuing driving until I could get to police station or meet up with a friend in another parking lot. I would never go home knowing I was followed.

So glad she's been found! Hopefully she's ok. The "respect the family at this time" seems to lead me to believe she may have orchestrated this in some way.

I just got caught up and see she was found! I'm glad they got her so quickly. It stood out to me that if her keys were NOT in her purse that was found, maybe they were thinking she would eventually come back to her car. That something was leading them to think it was voluntary vs abducted.

I totally respect the family's in these situations but part of me always wishes we could know the end of the story :/

So did she spend last night at the Chic-Fil-A ? This is so baffling.

Been found now, but I was thinking the first part could've been part of the instruction to send the text. I've had my phone lag when I'm issuing voice commands and I reissue the command "text Bob's phone" and it winds up translated as the first part of the text.

In any case, been found safe. Hope she's ok.

So did she spend last night at the Chic-Fil-A ? This is so baffling.
We had some decent storms roll through last night, so hope she was indoors somewhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back