Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #2

Va. prosecutors won’t seek charges against Welch’s uncle in Lyon sisters case

http://wtop.com/local/2017/09/richard-allen-welch-no-longer-person-interest-lyon-sisters-murders/

Remember, LLW2 was not the only one to say that RAW1 was involved. Wesley Dexter Morgan Justice (son of Aaron Dexter Justice and Ruth Welch Justice- sister to LLW1 and RAW1) also said RAW1 was involved. Wes was just a nine year old kid in 1975, so he had no involvement in the crimes, and no reason to implicate RAW1. He's not on the hook for anything and he had nothing to gain by making that statement.

"Richard Welch's nephew Wes Justice claims his uncle confided in him about the murders. Richard Welch is a person of interest in the case. Justice told law enforcement about a conversation he had with Richard Welch in which he claims his uncle said he and several family members raped, murdered, chopped up, and burned Sheila and Katherine Lyon, according to sources."
http://wset.com/archive/welch-nephews-allegedly-tie-uncle-to-lyon-sisters-case

I do not for one minute think this is the only case LLW and/or his friends or members of his family were involved in. I believe this man holds many SECRETS! Because of this case, we know that this man has connections which may extend cross-country at least by use of a 1975 carnival company. How many other cases may have had a carnival in town at the time or murders and/or disappearances? We already know that LLW did not act alone in this 1975 case. If I remember correctly, Beverly Potts disappeared (and years earlier) but when a carnival was in town! And, Ed Gein's (original Psycho movie subect) car used in 1957 murders was purchased and hyped for an admission fee by a traveling carnival owner. Hopefully, this information will have more cold case units looking into their cases for ANY KIND of ties to Welch, his family, or carnivals. Perhaps, they may even be able to identify the carnival owner and other employees. I did see a note in the Washington Post that they have information that LLW was in the Fort Worth Area around the time the Ft. Worth Three went missing. Pray that this is just a first step in the resolution of many other cases! Remember that even this case has only been partially solved. May his days be filled with reasons why he should tell more of what he knows about everything.

So glad to hear there is finally some justice for the girl, even if it isn't what the deserves. Nobody is that efficient when getting rid of their first bodies. This crime was committed by someone or persons who knew what they were doing. This was not a case where some girls went to the wrong place at the wrong time. They were in the right place at the right time and they were unlucky enough to happened to come to the attention of the wrong person or persons who had a plan in place and apparently some experience committing this type of crime. There are so many questions still remaining, but I completely understand the way this was handled and I am sure this is what is best for all involved. I j

Once again, more searches on Taylor's Mountain, and perhaps a heavier police presence there, might encourage someone to talk. Other crimes might even get resolved that way.

I've just read through this thread. I'd never heard about the case but I am very glad to see there can be some form of closure for the family of the girls.

As others have mentioned there are still so many unanswered questions, which I hope will be answered in due course.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have many thoughts on this case which is still unsolved, IMO. There is not one shred of evidence that these girls were ever on Taylor's Mountain--dead or alive! Yet, Bedford, VA, (Welch Hometown) was allowed to take control of the case? By pleading out, Lloyd Lee Welch, Jr. protected anyone he knows was involved in any way with this case which took near 40 years to find the first "leak of information." What also happened is that connections to other cases never saw the light of day. Early posts on Websleuths indicated that initial links to Lloyd Welch (who grew up in Jessup and Hyattsville, MD) were tied to another case of molestation of twin sons of Lloyd's cousin by a wealthy family friend who was/is(?) serving time in Jessup, Maryland. Somehow, that connection remained buried, at least publicly. IMO, Lloyd's plea bargain was used as a "silencer." The question is how did it happen that, with absolutely no evidence to indicate the girls were ever in Virginia, Bedford was able to take/receive jurisdiction from Montgomery County, Maryland, where the known abduction crime took place and was also the last verifiable place the girls were seen? YOU ARE RIGHT JUSTJO, "AS OTHERS HAVE MENTIONED THERE ARE STILL SO MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS. . ." For those familiar with the Sister Cathy Cesnik Baltimore case (1969- but reopened now for investigation and/or review, you may remember the slogan, "The big story is more in the cover-up than the (one) crime." It is also a fact that Sister Cathy Cesnik was sharing an apartment with a Sister Russell who later became through marriage, Helen Russell Welch, the last known person to see Sister Cathy alive. IMO, LE needs to research Forensic Genealogy on many of these cases with threads here on websleuths and not only in Maryland crime cases.

For clarification --that is extended family of both the Welch family and the family of the incarcerated molester. I was unable to edit after posting, so use this avenue to clarify.

Helen Russell Welch if referring to Helen Russell Phillips, the nun, was age 25 in 1969. Helen Welch, former girlfriend, was age 16 in 1969.
Yes, there are many unanswered questions, and very few are Solved by poorly researched theories or counterproductive sensationalism. Attorneys refer to it as “the CSI effect”.

Ahh Foureyes, again! Helen Russell Phillips, who later became Helen Russell Phillips Welch is, indeed, the person I was referring to. But, of course, you know that as well as other names associated. To my knowledge, the 16 year old Helen you would like to divert to, never officially became a Welch. I assure you my research is on target, despite attempts by some to "confuse and/or hide the facts." Attorneys, depending on which side they represent, may refer to "CSI Effect" differently than LE investigators and investigative reporters. I find it very interesting that earlier, when I referred to psychiatrist who was into shock therapy treatments, you immediately identified that person by name as well; the same was true of Rosa; and I certainly can't forget your interesting comments leading to an extended Curry (Currey/Currie) connection. Interesting though, CSI stands for Crime Scene Investigation--I have never been on any of the crime scenes, except Wheaton Plaza which was not a crime scene when I was there. Internet has surely opened a new and exciting avenue to important investigative material, of which Genealogy is just one. My hope is that one day LE will get smart and use it efficiently.

With the Lloyd Lee Welch Jr. plea bargain deal, Welch has been guaranteed a life time of incarceration, and in turn Virginia was able to close two other cases. Montgomery County (Maryland) Police can "close" the Lyon case and everyone can declare victory and go home.

Unfortunately, Sheila and Katherine are still missing and all the questions raised over the years on this board and elsewhere remain unanswered.

Other cases are connected to this one and they remain unsolved. Others were involved in the abduction of these girls, and they have yet to be fully identified and brought to justice.

Richard, Virginia's cases could have been tried separately to tack on a good number of years to his current sentence in Delaware. Maryland could have tried LLW for 2 abductions in which victims have been missing over 40 years and presumed deceased. to add "icing to the cake". Interesting question: have the girls ever been declared legally dead? Such an action could certainly have made a difference in charges. Just because LLW is "in for life" does not negate the need to bring the other perpetrators to justice, IMO. They are the ones still "thumbing their nose" at the justice system. "Pinning the tail on those donkeys" would complete the cake decorations for a real party with more to follow.

Yes, I am very disappointed in the way it was handled. I can only hope that they have something more that they are actively working on.

Richard, Virginia's cases could have been tried separately to tack on a good number of years to his current sentence in Delaware. Maryland could have tried LLW for 2 abductions in which victims have been missing over 40 years and presumed deceased. to add "icing to the cake". Interesting question: have the girls ever been declared legally dead? Such an action could certainly have made a difference in charges. Just because LLW is "in for life" does not negate the need to bring the other perpetrators to justice, IMO. They are the ones still "thumbing their nose" at the justice system. "Pinning the tail on those donkeys" would complete the cake decorations for a real party with more to follow.

Yes, I am very disappointed in the way it was handled. I can only hope that they have something more that they are actively working on.

Very few deceaseced people are ever legally declared dead. Those whose names end up in court is usually because of life insurance issue.

From Wikipedia: Welch's cousin, Henry Parker, told detectives in December 2014 that in 1975 he met Welch at a property on Taylor's Mountain Road, in Thaxton, Virginia. Parker said he helped remove two army-style duffel bags from Welch's vehicle. Each bag "weighed about 60 or 70 pounds and smelled like 'death,'" according to a search warrant affidavit, which was filed and sealed in January 2015. Moreover, Parker said the bags had been covered in red stains.[8] Without knowing their contents, Parker threw the bags into a fire.

Seems to me he had to know the contents of the bags unless he immediately walked away, which I do not think a normal person would do. A normal person would watch the bags burn. When you place a duffel bag with wet contents on a fire, the duffel bag will burn and melt off and reveal the contents in short order. At that point it is pretty obvious the contents are not spoiled hamburger meat.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back