Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I've been following this post and thanking, because you have all had some incredible insight.

I ask this question for potential motive of disappearance versus foul play--has it been CONFIRMED that he had taken a six month absence from school and was set to return for Spring semester, or is that simply speculation and he was only home for a mid-winter break between semesters?

I've seen various claims, but to my knowledge, none have been confirmed.

If it has been confirmed one way or another, it could lead to potential state/stress, but I don't want to validate rumors.

Thank you.

I have forgotten if it was reported whether the parents personally knew or knew of the driver friend.

Do we know only from the driver that he was an old HS friend? Is it a fact he was a real friend, or could he and Blaze have met only recently, or only online for that matter? The guy didn't know where Blaze lived.

this has been mentioned many times, my 2 cents on this., i personally am not in my teens but in my 40's and my friends do not know my address and these are friends of 5 plus years; it doesn't make a person any less a 'friend' in any capacity imho
another area of concern with me is the assumption by a few that keep stating his meds that he needs to take daily are for depression etc., I personally have to take medication daily for type 2 diabetes without it I don't function well, there are many medications that a person could be taking on a daily basis that have nothing what so ever to do with their mind i hope i have not offended anyone but had to finally speak up

stlrfninca : :welcome4:

My guess at this time is 1. or 2.

Also thinking about some of the other missing young men ; cases that have been covered by David Paulides.

The thing that I keep coming back to is why the friend came back to the park at 4 am? It just doesn't make sense in any scenario. BB walks off to meet someone, runs off to get away, just isn't there when friend comes out of the bathroom. Friend texts BB a few times and leaves. Then, 5 hours later, thinks "I should go check on him." No. He knows how close BB's house is to the park. If he was meeting a friend, afterward he would have just walked home. If he ran off and was upset, he wouldn't just stay in the park all night. If he just vanished, the friend would have looked for him during the first visit to the park. The ONLY reason to go back to the park is because he needed to retrieve something left behind, clean something up or he knew BB was incapacitated in that park (or was in some way not able to leave the park). Can you all think of any other reason his friend would come back to the park at 4 am?

This has been bothering me too. If said friend knew he was meeting someone for sex (let's say), then Blaze not coming back wouldn't be odd. My only thought and this is probably a stretch is that he told the friend he would text when he needed a ride again .. maybe friend goes home, falls asleep and wakes up and realizes s/he never heard from Blaze and goes to look. Figures he must have walked home and doesn't alert anyone he's missing????

I just don't get why no one is giving more information on the last person to have seen him. There's critical info that just isn't being released!!

I discovered WS a couple years ago when another local, Erica Alonso, went missing. unfortunately, her body was found dumped in a secluded spot of Ortega Highway. Bodies have been found there in the past and it's not too too far.. about 16miles. Just because of Erica's unfortunate discovery, my mind goes to the Ortegas. Things like this don't happen around here and I hope he is found safe...soon!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hi All,

I've been following this post and thanking, because you have all had some incredible insight.

I ask this question for potential motive of disappearance versus foul play--has it been CONFIRMED that he had taken a six month absence from school and was set to return for Spring semester, or is that simply speculation and he was only home for a mid-winter break between semesters?

I've seen various claims, but to my knowledge, none have been confirmed.

If it has been confirmed one way or another, it could lead to potential state/stress, but I don't want to validate rumors.

Thank you.

His dad said that he was supposed to be on a plane back to Philadelphia on the Sunday or Monday (can't remember which day it was)

See now I am the opposite. Based on what the parents have shared I thought there was no way he would run away or take his life. Then think about it from another angle, if he wanted to disappear or take his life do you think he would have started telling people?

I'm a somewhat overprotective mom of a college kid. I could totally see myself telling my child to log onto the Amazon account and make sure to order bath towels, laundry detergent, random things needed for a new apartment. I would think if my kid was planning something she would not say, Actually mom, I don't need those things because I am planning to run away tonight and not return to school. He would probably order them and continue the plans so not to raise any suspicion. Especially considering I imagine he was being financially supported by his parents. Money might not be much value to him if he has not worked. Not saying that is a bad thing but without being there and seeing if he was excited about the shopping or just doing it to pacify his parents.

I hope I am wrong. I hope there is a better ending. I just know that when you hear about famous people (with money, accomplishments and plans for the future) taking their life you end up hearing that they lived a double life. The life where they secretly struggled and the life that everyone saw where it appeared that they had everything that anyone could possibly want.

This makes sense. I hope I’m wrong but could have the dinner he cooked have been a “last supper” of sorts?

That being said, I get the sense from the mom’s comments that she thinks he is still out there and has the option to return home, reminding him of what he is missing (shopping with brother, returning to school). Or perhaps that is hopeful thinking on her part, which I completely understand.

So heartbreaking.

I think they were at the park at some point. I don't think the police would have done such a thorough search just based on the friend's word. And, if location services were turned off on his phone, they must have been ON prior to that.

If he got right into another car, there might not be a scent for dogs to pick up.

I’d like to know more about his personality. Not hobbies / interests but his personality.

Is he goofy like a class clown? Is he witty? Happy go lucky? Carefree? Intense about things and calm about others? Opinionated? Timid? Adventurous? Outgoing? Rule follower or pushing the boundaries? Confrontational? Sensitive?

I️t’s been said that he was very bright/ smart. Is that book smart, street smart, or both?

His SM posts and other things give me an impression that he’s naive ... I️ could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know BB personally, but from reading samples of his short fiction and playlist captions, I gathered he's got a clever, quirky sense of humor; he's deeply contemplative and intense in his creative process; he's compassionate about humanity; he appreciates and embraces diverse cultures....

I know there's so much more to him. I hope some people who do know him will share their thoughts.

The thing that I keep coming back to is why the friend came back to the park at 4 am? It just doesn't make sense in any scenario. BB walks off to meet someone, runs off to get away, just isn't there when friend comes out of the bathroom. Friend texts BB a few times and leaves. Then, 5 hours later, thinks "I should go check on him." No. He knows how close BB's house is to the park. If he was meeting a friend, afterward he would have just walked home. If he ran off and was upset, he wouldn't just stay in the park all night. If he just vanished, the friend would have looked for him during the first visit to the park. The ONLY reason to go back to the park is because he needed to retrieve something left behind, clean something up or he knew BB was incapacitated in that park (or was in some way not able to leave the park). Can you all think of any other reason his friend would come back to the park at 4 am?

If the friend is an innocent bystander, so to speak, I could definitely see him going back later after he re-thought his decision to leave. Especially if the driver was a kid BB's age or so. Hindsight is 20/20. Think about it this way...driver friend, if this is all innocent, would have never DREAMED BB wolud vanish from the face of the earth. Sure we read about this stuff, but odds are this person has never known anyone that actually disappeared in his life, so that would not likely be a concern if he was stuck waiting for BB to emerge for a long time. In all reality, I would be a little miffed at first if I was doing someone the favor of a ride/wait and they were taking forever AND wouldn't answer my calls. That is IF I were a 19 year old. I'd probably give up and head home and only after awhile be bothered by it as my imagination ran away with itself. Remember...kids think they and their friends are invincible. Surely nothing would happen to them, it would never cross their minds!

After taking a snooze for awhile, and thinking about it, I might go back just to check if he was hurt or something. If I couldn't find him then I'd figure all was good and go back to bed.
The one thing I do wonder about is; did driver/Old Buddy step forth and contact the parents or LE when he did hear about BB being missing? Or did they have to track him down?
That 'could' be telling, but then again maybe the kid (and I say kid because I've read that this was a high school friend) just got scared when it turned out he was smack dab in the middle of a missing persons case.
Hopefully answers are soon forthcoming.

This is the question that bothers me as well.

I wonder, has it been confirmed that he sent only ONE text message to a female friend?

First, we don't know the gender of the individual who dropped him off. For all we know, it could have been a female. I have seen if stated as fact that it was, but that's on SM and could be someone who has no idea what they're talking about.

Is it possible that BB sent a couple of texts, and not just one, to a few people?

I know we have read that friend dropped off, friend supposedly texted a few times to no response, left, then a text was sent tp a female friend that was odd, then drop off person returned.

I wonder if it's possible that BB sent more than just the singular text and sent another text to the person that dropped him off, who maybe fell asleep and then woke up to a strange text and drove back.

I don't see any reason why someone would simply drive back unless they had received an alarming text. But, it's also possible that the unanswered texts, drop off person could have been home and anxious and stewing and couldn't sleep and went, "I'm just gonna drive back there and see." I know that I can have a hard time falling asleep if there's something on my mind that just doesn't sit right. Maybe the friend went home and was stewing on it and couldn't sleep, so just drove back there because of a hinky feeling.

It's odd, but I can't promise that it's not something that I would do if I was feeling like something was "off."

If the friend is an innocent bystander, so to speak, I could definitely see him going back later after he re-though his decision to leave. Especially if the driver was a kid BB's age or so. Hindsight is 20/20. Think about it this way...driver friend, if this is all innocent, would have never DREAMED BB wold vanish from the face of the earth. Sure we read about this stuff, but odds are this person has never known anyone that actually disappeared in his life, so that would not likely be a concern if he was stuck waiting for BB to emerge for a long time. In all reality, I would be a little miffed at first if I was doing someone the favor of a ride/wait and they were taking forever AND wouldn't answer my calls. That is IF I were a 19 year old. I'd probably give up and head home and only after awhile be bothered by it as my imagination ran away with itself. Remember...kids think they and their friends are invincible. Surely nothing would happen to them, it would never cross their minds!

After taking a snooze for awhile, and thinking about it, I might go back just to check if he was hurt or something. If I couldn't find him then I'd figure all was good and go back to bed.
The one thing I do wonder about is; did driver/Old Buddy step forth and contact the parents or LE when he did hear about BB being missing? Or did they have to track him down?
That 'could' be telling, but then again maybe the kid (and I say kid because I've read that this was a high school friend) just got scared when it turned out he was smack dab in the middle of a missing persons case.
This!!

Hi all, this is my first post here, so apologies in advance if I say or do anything wrong :)

I found out about this site because I became fascinated with this story of Blaze due to the fact that I live just 10 minutes away from Foothill Ranch and visit the area frequently, as well as because of the mysterious nature of his disappearance. I swear when I think about it, all this reminds me of an episode of "Without a Trace". As a result I have become quite fascinated with it.

In any case, I've been reading this and the other, closed, thread for the past 90 minutes, and while I'm not sure how much it will add to the discussion, I thought I'd try to summarize the theories and facts as I understand and analyze them. I'm curious as to what others think at this point.

First, it seems these are the possible/likely scenarios:

1) He was abducted as a result of an ill-fated meeting and is either being held for some reason or was killed

2) He disappeared of his own volition for reasons only known to him (and perhaps a close friend)

3) He committed suicide

4) He fell into a ravine or something of this nature in the wilderness

I discount #4 right off the bat as highly unlikely due to the extensive searching that has already taken place both by OCSD as well as the drones within the past few days. The fact that OCSD has called off the search lends credence to the contention that he is not in that wilderness area, either alive or dead

#3 - suicide - I think is definitely possible for reasons already stated, but not very likely, primarily because if he had committed suicide, in my opinion his body would have been found during the extensive search

So I tend to think it's #1 or #2 and there is plenty of circumstantial evidence to support both at this time.

As for abduction or foul play of some kind, it seems from the anecdotes of friends and his Grindr(sp?) account that he was likely gay, which would support the theory that perhaps he was trying to meet someone in the park for an encounter and something went wrong. This could have ended with an abduction and/or a murder. If a murder it would likely have taken place at another location as once again it seems nothing has been found in the wilderness search

I think it's equally likely that he may have disappeared of his own volition. Many of the comments I've read suggest that he may have had some trouble with school. It's clear he had a passion for writing and cooking and other artistic talents. Perhaps he was under a lot of pressure at school and/or his scientific major was more to please his parents than himself, and he finally decided he needed to chart his own path. The movie "Dead Poets Society" comes to mind with, of course, a different outcome. Of course, this is the explanation I assume most of us are hoping for.

This all being said, there are still more questions than answers. As others have mentioned, the behavior of the driver is highly suspect for several reasons. a) The whole 11:30 and 4:00 AM thing. b) Not warning the parents first thing in the morning that something was wrong. c) Seemingly contradictory statements to media outlets (although IMHO the media are generally incompetent and so I take everything they write with a large grain of salt. In that regard, finding this website has been quite a breath of fresh air!)

From my perspective, the driver's behavior could easily support either #1 or #2 - he could be covering up and or involved in foul play, or just as easily be covering for Blaze in his desire to make a clean break from his family.

Then there's the case of his other friend, the female, who he was texting. Perhaps she's the key to this. If so, I'd conclude this supports theory #2.

I also agree that LE probably knows a lot more that what we're reading, which is precisely as it should be IMHO.

Anyway, that's my condensed version. I hope we clear up the remaining questions in the coming days and it is a positive outcome, not the negative one most are probably assuming at this point.
Whoa, stlrfninca! Your first post is a breath of fresh air.

I'm in agreement with you on all your points, and I appreciate the clarity you brought to these points. Very helpful!

Thanks for sharing. I find this fascinating. A thought that's stuck with me from early on is BB in a vehicle at the park, but he never got out.

I wonder if they searched for the driver's scent at the park, too. Probably too late for that now, huh.

Don't think so. They traced Maris entire route in a heavily trafficked area a week later after bad weather. Rain enhances scent.

His dad said that he was supposed to be on a plane back to Philadelphia on the Sunday or Monday (can't remember which day it was)

Yes! Absolutely. I'm just wondering:

Was he home from a six month leave of absence?

Or was he home for a midwinter break and was there first semester?

I've seen conflicting reports. It's a difference of his location of, say, three weeks, to six/seven months.

Do we have any conclusive proof that Blaze was ever in the park?

Do we have any conclusive proof that Blaze was ever in the park?

To my knowledge, no. However, I believe I read that the park was the last place his cellphone dinged before it went dead, hence the searches in that location that corroborated with the drop off "high school buddy" story.

Searching for news article to substantiate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...upenn-student-who-vanished-california-n835916

Edited with news article that does not actually say it was turned off at that location, however, that it was able to have location tracking until a certain point and then it turned off at 11:30. Which presumably means that it turned off in that location (able to trace it up until that point) and probably because all searchers focused on that area, presumption says that police resources probably wouldn't have focused there so intensely without corroborating evidence.

If the friend is an innocent bystander, so to speak, I could definitely see him going back later after he re-thought his decision to leave. Especially if the driver was a kid BB's age or so. Hindsight is 20/20. Think about it this way...driver friend, if this is all innocent, would have never DREAMED BB wolud vanish from the face of the earth. Sure we read about this stuff, but odds are this person has never known anyone that actually disappeared in his life, so that would not likely be a concern if he was stuck waiting for BB to emerge for a long time. In all reality, I would be a little miffed at first if I was doing someone the favor of a ride/wait and they were taking forever AND wouldn't answer my calls. That is IF I were a 19 year old. I'd probably give up and head home and only after awhile be bothered by it as my imagination ran away with itself. Remember...kids think they and their friends are invincible. Surely nothing would happen to them, it would never cross their minds!

it is my understanding they found a conversation/message (it was called lengthy) with so called friend/buddy. It was found after they became concerned about his whereabouts. But let me try and find an article that states that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member