Very Strange Story/Note from 1985 Found in Butt of Gun

Hey never paid - he was just ordered to before his death. A significant hit to him & his wife.

Clearly ducked responsibility. In the divorce decree it was ordered any life insurance he took had to name his children the beneficiaries.

It’s beyond the money now. I just want justice if it hasn’t been done. At the time though - I think these points matters to some degree.

To which degree I have no idea.

Hey never paid - he was just ordered to before his death. A significant hit to him & his wife.

Clearly ducked responsibility. In the divorce decree it was ordered any life insurance he took had to name his children the beneficiaries.

It’s beyond the money now. I just want justice if it hasn’t been done. At the time though - I think these points matters to some degree.

To which degree I have no idea.

That seems really odd. Are you sure the decree didn’t say he must have **advertiser censored* life insurance policy naming you guys the beneficiaries? And that it was for an amount that would cover his child support responsibility? I can’t see why ANY life insurance policy he had must name you guys beneficiaries.

Many divorce decrees state that a life insurance policy must be kept for the entirety of the child support obligation duration, but unfortunately many people cancel these policies shortly after the divorce is finalized. My husbands ex did it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not proficient in the law and do not know the answers to your questions, although it makes sense he could've ended one life insurance policy and added another.

Regardless, when a person has two children and remarries, the benefits should be split 50% between his children and 50% to his new wife. That is the way I understand family law works.

I could be completely wrong.

But her stating that his two children were not his seems to me at least part of a motive to at least investigate her.

I am not proficient in the law and do not know the answers to your questions, although it makes sense he could've ended one life insurance policy and added another.

Regardless, when a person has two children and remarries, the benefits should be split 50% between his children and 50% to his new wife. That is the way I understand family law works.

I could be completely wrong.

But her stating that his two children were not his seems to me at least part of a motive to at least investigate her.

That’s actually not the way it should be. There should be a policy for his kids and a policy for his wife. Separate. The policy for kids should be enough to cover his child support obligations until the kids are 18 or whenever child support ends (every state varies). Idk if there are statutes of limitations for this type of thing, but if you feel you are owed money from the policy, contact a lawyer who will give you a free consultation and maybe sue his wife.

This is so not right....

Maybe this sounds ridicule but why don't you try to make a documentary of your story...like The Witness or Keepers...just to smoke them out....(mean me)

Where did she state that you and your brother weren't his kids? I missed that comment somehow.

This is so not right....

Maybe this sounds ridicule but why don't you try to make a documentary of your story...like The Witness or Keepers...just to smoke them out....(mean me)

No ridicule taken. Only when I step outside of being involved in this do I realize it is kinda a good story. If it doesn't happen to you! :)

- The lack of fingerprints from your dad on the gun is bothering me. How can you shoot yourself and not leaving your fingerprints or only partial fingerprints. Maybe LE didn't handled the evidence well or the prints got lost when Joe moved the gun? Did he touched it -his fingerprints would be on there to- did he touched it protecting his hand with gloves or a cloth, or swept it away with his foot oid. Nothing about that mentioned if I recall right.
- On the toxicology report race states C so Caucasian. In the autopsy report I read Caucasian male. Where did you read Native/Hispanic?
- Your parents were married between 1971 and 1980, both you and your brother were born in this period. Of course there is always the possibility that you have another biological father, but I don't believe that. So Nikki lied flat out about the fact that you where from another relationship and not your fathers sons. Why, would you lie to LE about that? Didn't she knew any better, I don't believe that, she also must have seen the petition(s) for support. Was it because of stupid jealousy, greed? Did your father kept them from her? I'm missing the logic here. What do you think about that?

NS knew very well we were HS's sons. They both tried to kidnap us once before getting out of the state. And I'm the spitting image of HS - even inherited some of his health problems.

I saw one one police report that stated he was Native/Hispanic. I'd have to go back through. Really weird.

Other than that, I fear there are no breakthroughs to be had....

Adam Christian Smith

That seems really odd. Are you sure the decree didn’t say he must have **advertiser censored* life insurance policy naming you guys the beneficiaries? And that it was for an amount that would cover his child support responsibility? I can’t see why ANY life insurance policy he had must name you guys beneficiaries.

Many divorce decrees state that a life insurance policy must be kept for the entirety of the child support obligation duration, but unfortunately many people cancel these policies shortly after the divorce is finalized. My husbands ex did it too.

I just wanted to reply to this, this seems to have been fairly common back in the 80s when couples divorced with children. Judges frequently ordered that any life insurance policy named children as the beneficiary and it was not possible to change the beneficiary.

- The lack of fingerprints from your dad on the gun is bothering me. How can you shoot yourself and not leaving your fingerprints or only partial fingerprints. Maybe LE didn't handled the evidence well or the prints got lost when Joe moved the gun? Did he touched it -his fingerprints would be on there to- did he touched it protecting his hand with gloves or a cloth, or swept it away with his foot oid. Nothing about that mentioned if I recall right.
- On the toxicology report race states C so Caucasian. In the autopsy report I read Caucasian male. Where did you read Native/Hispanic?
- Your parents were married between 1971 and 1980, both you and your brother were born in this period. Of course there is always the possibility that you have another biological father, but I don't believe that. So Nikki lied flat out about the fact that you where from another relationship and not your fathers sons. Why, would you lie to LE about that? Didn't she knew any better, I don't believe that, she also must have seen the petition(s) for support. Was it because of stupid jealousy, greed? Did your father kept them from her? I'm missing the logic here. What do you think about that?

In the case report he was listed as Native American/Alaskan Native. It was actually one of the first things I noticed, due to not actually knowing his race and his last name being Harley Smith, just seems super white.

Now that I'm to the end of this thread, not having read all of the documents in dropbox. I think that his wife or his wife & Joe killed Sam. Suicide seems least likely.

Life insurance policies vary, some will not pay out on suicide. Some will pay out on suicide but only after 3 years. Some will pay out double on homicide. It really all depends on the policy.

Despite what the wife told investigators, his past due child support would have been a debt that should have to be cleared from his estate before settling it. Do you know if your mom ever received a check for the past child support? Then you and your brother would have received SSI as his dependents until you were 18 or graduated from high school. Do you know if your mom received SSI for you?

Also, the distribution of property would be dependent on whether or not it was a community property state if there was no will. NM is a community property state so anything Sam & Nikki owned would be theirs jointly, meaning when he died it's all hers.

There is also the possibility (although doesn't seem likely) that he committed suicide and Nikki just happened to be a jerk and not give anything to his kids. My dad died of cancer, left everything to his girlfriend. It's not illegal. I'm not bitter, he didn't have any money and she put up with him for 8 years, just because they weren't married doesn't mean she didn't deserve whatever he did leave.

In the case report he was listed as Native American/Alaskan Native. It was actually one of the first things I noticed, due to not actually knowing his race and his last name being Harley Smith, just seems super white.

Perhaps allfalldown could do a Ancestry DNA, gives a good idea of percentage of any mix?

Link pleace....!?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back