NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car is interesting, especially the detail about rust around the wheel wells. If this witness saw the vehicle on the night of Asha's disappearance, how would they have been able to see the car well enough in the dark and rain to notice the rusting? Why does this detail stick with them 17 years on? Do they know more than they are divulging, or indeed, does LE know more about this vehicle than they are willing to reveal? Lots of interesting questions surrounding this new information. I can only hope that someone, somewhere, knows the whereabouts of this vehicle.

I think i read somewhere that the information about the car and the rust was from the actual time she disappeared but for some reason they have only just decided to put it out there now 17 years later. It's not new information apparently, but i'm not 100 percent sure on that.

I agree though about them noticing it in the first place. We are told over and over that when she was walking along the road it was pouring and storming with rain and was pitch black darkness. I find it strange that these motorists were able to even spot Asha in the first place (including her colour of clothes and the fact she was wearing a backpack) given the conditions, let alone rust around the wheel wells.

@@screenshot.gif

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/asha-jaquilla-degree

The thing that always boggled me about this case is that if someone planned to abduct her, why was she seen walking down the highway? No child abductor is going to risk their prey walking down a highway in the middle of the night, especially in adverse weather conditions. She could have an accident or one of the numerous passers-by could've intercepted her. If this was planned, the abductor would park at the end of the street and pick her up when she left the house. She was last seen darting into the woods, not getting into any car. However, if there's one thing I've learned from researching missing person cases is that there's no shortage of opportunistic criminals out there. A vulnerable young runaway in the middle of the night would be easy pickings.

Heard this on the news this morning. That’s great the investigators believe she may be alive! Praying they can get some answers soon and hopefully bring her home.

I would love to know why investigators are CONVINCED she could still be alive! Not finding a body is not enough to convince them, IMO.

Was wondering about Asha Degree over the years and decided to do some research on NamUS and thought that this particular Jane Doe case was worth looking into. I admit that the Jane Doe's suggested age just a little older than Asha's but we all know that the age's of the unidentified are only guesstimates. Where Jane Doe was found is roughly 2.5 hrs away from where Asha lived, near I-85 (a major highway) that runs through both cities. https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10922

Was wondering about Asha Degree over the years and decided to do some research on NamUS and thought that this particular Jane Doe case was worth looking into. I admit that the Jane Doe's suggested age just a little older than Asha's but we all know that the age's of the unidentified are only guesstimates. Where Jane Doe was found is roughly 2.5 hrs away from where Asha lived, near I-85 (a major highway) that runs through both cities. https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10922

Welcome to Ws dustydm94!
Interesting find, noting that the deceased young female wore blue toe polish.

So the sighting of her getting into a Lincoln or a ford was near the location where she was last seen on route 18. My question is if one of the last times she was seen by motorist she ran into the woods, then why would she get into another unknown car? This leads me to believe and wonder if anyone she knew drove a similar vehicle and she mistakenly thought it was them.

What vehicles did her family, relatives, basketball coaches, and friend's parents drive in 2000?

Bump

No updates on this? I thought there was a specialized FBI team taking it over...?

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2017-09-06-11h38m27s232png.jpg
    vlcsnap-2017-09-06-11h38m27s232png.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 186
It seems that a lot hinges on the alleged sightings of Asha on the highway but if we take them out of the equation that changes the whole complexion of the case. Witnesses are notoriously unreliable and it’s possible that confirmation bias played a part in the sightings. I’ve always thought it strange that a girl that age was able to plan a late night excursion. If the sightings are void then questions should be directed closer to home.

I find it hard to put a lot of trust into the new witness statement about the cars. It took that long to recall that detail? To come forward with that detail? And they saw the rust in the dark on a rainy night?

The motorist that says they saw Asha duck into the woods seems to be more likely, however, as the shed where her belongings were found was not that far away from the area, yes? Do we know if forensic testing was done in the shed? Was it checked for blood, hair, other DNA? Or is this just something we don't know because of the police keeping details close to their vests?

I understand the need to keep some details secret but after it's been as long as it has... I'd like to know more. :dunno:

I find it hard to put a lot of trust into the new witness statement about the cars. It took that long to recall that detail? To come forward with that detail? And they saw the rust in the dark on a rainy night?

The motorist that says they saw Asha duck into the woods seems to be more likely, however, as the shed where her belongings were found was not that far away from the area, yes? Do we know if forensic testing was done in the shed? Was it checked for blood, hair, other DNA? Or is this just something we don't know because of the police keeping details close to their vests?

I understand the need to keep some details secret but after it's been as long as it has... I'd like to know more. :dunno:
I agree about the sightings. Why not call the police then if you see a child in the rain, the dark, and at 4 am near a Hwy? They recalled it later after her missing status was publicized.

The shed thing is strange too. There was a Minnie/Mickey mouse bow that was found near the shed that her family believed was hers, but it's hard to grasp.

Why walk along a hwy at night if you're afraid of the dark? In the rain with no coat? Her family says she was also afraid of dogs and there were dogs in her neighborhood in her possible route to the hwy.

My thoughts on why-
*She had no coat- she was picked up in a vehicle
*she was on the hwy- she fled the vehicle after the perpetrator came onto her
*she packed a bag- the perp told her to, maybe even coerced her. (The bag had her favorite outfit, which not just anyone would know)
*Her bookbag was found in trash bags on a construction site- the perp wanted it to be found.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

I agree about the sightings. Why not call the police then if you see a child in the rain, the dark, and at 4 am near a Hwy? They recalled it later after her missing status was publicized.

The shed thing is strange too. There was a Minnie/Mickey mouse bow that was found near the shed that her family believed was hers, but it's hard to grasp.

Why walk along a hwy at night if you're afraid of the dark? In the rain with no coat? Her family says she was also afraid of dogs and there were dogs in her neighborhood in her possible route to the hwy.

My thoughts on why-
*She had no coat- she was picked up in a vehicle
*she was on the hwy- she fled the vehicle after the perpetrator came onto her
*she packed a bag- the perp told her to, maybe even coerced her. (The bag had her favorite outfit, which not just anyone would know)
*Her bookbag was found in trash bags on a construction site- the perp wanted it to be found.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

I think the timing played a part in this. Cell phones were becoming more popular then but by no means did everyone own a cell phone. Maybe by the time they got home it had slipped their minds? What I'd like to known is why the driver that says he circled three times... circled three times? What sense does that make? I could see passing her and then going back to see if what you had seen had been correct but once you realized that it was, why would you go on to circle again? It seems that if anyone would have had enough reason to make a call about this when they got home, it's this driver.

The quotes from law enforcement suggesting that it is not a cold case by any means and that local citizens are aware of more than they have said makes me think that the perp has to be someone close by, maybe even someone who still lives there.

I don't know Asha but from her family describing her as shy and afraid of the dark, I have a hard time believing she left on her own or even with someone that she barely knew. I feel that in order for her to have felt comfortable enough to not only pack a bag and leave in the dark, rain and cold but to not mention anything to anyone, Asha would have had to have known this person a decent amount.

Do we know for a fact that Asha had no coat on? I can't imagine she would have lasted out there for very long at all if she was indeed walking. I read that not only was it raining but it was in the 30s?

The pencil, marker and hair bow left at the scene suggests to me that maybe she was there for a time or that something happened there. On the one hand, Asha could have been picked up and taken there by someone and what happened from there is anyone's guess (but I can't imagine whatever it was was good...) or maybe the perp simply took the bag there and went through it, accidentally leaving the few belongings behind.

The book bag being wrapped in trash bags obviously points to the perp wanting to preserve it for some reason, whether it was for LE to find or so that they could later go back and retrieve it is, again, anyone's guess, but I feel fairly confident that it was to keep it in decent condition. Otherwise, why not bury it without the trashbags? Or burn it? Or throw it in a body of water? All of these suggestions would get rid of that bag and that evidence much faster than burying it inside of trash bags.

Could it be possible that Asha was lured out, murdered and buried near the shed? Her belongings being left there points to some time being spent there, whether that was by the girl herself or the person who hurt her. Ultimately I have to say that I agree with previous posters that the shed has more to do with this than we know.

Maybe after making it to the shed, Asha was wet and was putting on some dry clothes. While pulling them out of her backpack the other stuff just came out with it. In the dark she probably wouldn't realize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708