Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, husband arrested for abuse, Oct 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boyle waged an internal Wikipedia fight for a year over the use of gruesome photos of the murdered children of Joseph Goebbels, Hitler’s propaganda minister. He first sought out the images, saying he would be “forever indebted” if someone found them, and then championed their use despite complaints they were “depraved” and “ghastly.”

One editor said Boyle’s passion for using multiple images of the children’s bodies left him “extremely worried.” Unwilling to let it go, Boyle amended his Wikipedia signature to “Speaker for the Dead.” The current entry uses none of the photos.

Other controversial photos he added include a 1910 photo of a sexually-abused German boy that an editor quickly deleted saying it was “extreme.” Boyle added it a second time saying “nothing wrong with image.” The photo is not currently in use. He also added photos from the 1940s of examples of human cannibalism.
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/former-afghan-captive-revealed-odd-array-of-interests-through-his-obsessive-wikipedia-editing

These are also not the interests of a "peace-loving hippie".

Is this where Joshua Boyle lifted his screen name “Speaker for the Dead”? Speaker for the Dead is a book that's extremely graphic and violent (but begins with many Star Trek features-Josh loves Star Trek). It’s author stated this:

At the Los Angeles Times Book Festival (April 20, 2013), Card stated why he does not want Speaker for the Dead made into a film: "Speaker for the Dead is unfilmable," Card said in response to a question from the audience. "It consists of talking heads, interrupted by moments of excruciating and unwatchable violence. Now, I admit, there's plenty of unwatchable violence in film, but never attached to my name. Speaker for the Dead, I don't want it to be filmed. I can't imagine it being filmed.”
[SUP]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_for_the_Dead

Does Josh, the peace-loving hippie, have a fetish for violence?[/SUP]

I don’t know where the reference is, but when he moved out of a rental in Nova Scotia?, he had some strange items that seemed like they could be used for torture.

I don’t know where the reference is, but when he moved out of a rental in Nova Scotia?, he had some strange items that seemed like they could be used for torture.

Boyle’s father sent a U-haul truck to load up his son’s belongings, which included some unusual items, said another neighbour, who didn’t want to be named. Among the items were medical forceps, chains and leather straps, a resident said.

http://nationalpost.com/feature/joshua-boyle

I agree, he wanted a consenting wife that would conform and be submissive to him. The problem is, our Canadian/American culture believes Asian cultures are submissive. They aren't. They have their religious roles. But the woman are very strong. And Zaynab would've been prestigious, strong woman with her role as a woman... she was superior to him. Probably played female role but not submissive. In their culture there are expectations on the male as well. To be a provider, responsible, a caretaker and family head. I bet JB didn't measure up for her.

Thanks! The psychology is very interesting as well!

In reference to GunslingingGranny posts, how are JB parents not mortified? Especially his father. I couldn't imagine. I'll be curious to watch and see where the line is drawn, referring to his parents and CC - when are they victims and enablers. That poor girl, CC, has been through so much via JB. If she never met him, it would've been so different for her. She seems like a good mom in the photos.

What Grace said in reference to the Costa Rica wedding, that's a good question (and point) - if CC parents were there or if JB was already isolating her.

I too think JB parents are mortified. Imagine waiting so long to see their son, his wife and grandkids, opening your home to them. Then get slammed by JB in the media that living in their home was as he states "intolerable" so they move to a hotel room. I read earlier on by another poster, this could be why he is sitting in jail still because his parents may have refused to be his sureties.

If CC is the victim of these charges, then she will have resources available to her to get out. Its now up to her. I am discouraged by her statement ;In a statement to the Star, Caitlan wrote,

“I can’t speak about the specific charges, but I can say that ultimately it is the strain and trauma he was forced to endure for so many years and the effects that that had on his mental state that is most culpable for this.
“Obviously, he is responsible for his own actions,” she wrote, “but it is with compassion and forgiveness that I say I hope help and healing can be found for him. As to the rest of us, myself and the children, we are healthy and holding up as well as we can.”

Seems to me she is still making excuses for him!

I had hospital births as well, a couple of them were chaotic . Currently data supports that in low risk pregnancy home birth attended by a trained and competent midwife is as safe or safer than routine hospital birth basically because unnecessary medications and procedures happen to save time and hours in the hospital.

PS squatting on the birthing stool with my last child was the easiest out of five and he wasn’t the smallest. The lithotomy position is easy for MDs to see what is happening, but certainly not a physiologically normal way for a child to leave the womb. We have a physiology that makes a squatting position the most optimal for our large-headed offspring to enter the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, as long as the labour is moving along in an expected manner, hospitals no longer push drugs or positions on a patient.
I had a friend walk around the labour ward and use the door jamb throughout her labour. She delivered, at the last moments on a bed, only.
Her son is 45 years old.

My Ob asked me what I wanted in the 70s and 80s. As long as everything is fine, they let you have your baby your way.
Its if something goes wrong, then they intervene. My youngest was nearly 3 weeks overdue, I was monitored daily for about an hour...then sent home. On her birthday, the monitoring showed a severe drop in her heart rate and she was delivered by C section within 10 minutes.
Obstetrics is 95% routine and 5% life threatening. Squatting is definitely the better way, as long as no one is at risk. Gravity helps. lol

I'm sure Joshua Boyle's parents ARE mortified. I think they've been covering for him for years, and they know it. When the announcement of his release came, the Ma said something along the lines of, there will be great challenges ahead, he will be changed....you bet your arse she knew (a) he wasn't the full ticket to start with & (b) from occasional communications & videos, she recognised that he had morphed into something very difficult.

The Caitlan liver disease may or may not be a red herring - it is standard practice on hostage situations to identify or exaggerate a medical condition, in order to establish sympathetic liaison with captors and/or a communication channel through entities such as the Red Cross. In any event, the conditions under which she had to exist & to give birth were clearly extremely dangerous.

On Joshua Boyle's influence on Caitlan given her pregnancy: I have a tiny parallel insight to offer here. I too was 5 months pregnant with my first (in my case only) child when travelling in the Middle East. Difference was, I had a 2-week working trip; I was going to Jordan, where I had many sympathetic friends and colleagues; and even so, I moved carefully and slowly, keeping to the shade, and all the (non-extremist) locals kept asking me home for extra food and encouraging me to slow down. My male colleagues clearly wanted me to get back home asap just in case, and as I went through the surprising (to my then stupid self) realisation that I had to be very, very careful in extreme heat when carrying even small weights, I rushed home. Only a truly vile and narcissistic companion - let alone a husband - would encourage a woman to push herself to the physical limits in the heat and dust of an Afghan or Jordanian working environment. And as we all know, whatever they were doing, they weren't working.

Last thought: she must have felt anxious, she must have felt ill. But she knew NO-ONE out there and had no-one to sound off to. She relied on that card-carrying *advertiser censored* who led her into hell. Yes she was somewhat dim, yes she was uneducated; but in my view she was massively misled and then betrayed by the one person she relied upon to protect her. I hope her father is waiting in the wings to pull her back home.

In one of the hostage videos, C spoke directly to her father comparing herself to Disney characters. I believe she said she was now a Belle whereas in the past she had been an Ariel. For some reason that stood out to me. A defiant Ariel now living with a Beast (JB)?

It was also odd, IMO that she was making Disney references at her age. Then again it may reinforce just how naive and sheltered C really was prior to her marriage.

I think it does. IMO, a man like Boyle could only handle a childlike bride. A real woman would distroy Him And his massive ego.

Wow, how did she get from Ariel to Belle and then Taliban Bride?

This whole story just doesn't make any sense. I'm not convinced she is a victim in this train wreck.

In one of the hostage videos, C spoke directly to her father comparing herself to Disney characters. I believe she said she was now a Belle whereas in the past she had been an Ariel. For some reason that stood out to me. A defiant Ariel now living with a Beast (JB)?

It was also odd, IMO that she was making Disney references at her age. Then again it may reinforce just how naive and sheltered C really was prior to her marriage.

She probably was naive, but perhaps the Disney references were coded messages to her dad that would make sense to him. I imagine if I had to relay a coded message to my siblings, for example, I would reference something from our childhoods, even though we are all middle-aged now, ykwim? They would know exactly what I meant (or I hope so, lol!).

I do think she was naive, trusting, and duped. (I don't know these Disney movies to understand the differences in these characters that she was trying to convey.)

jmopinion

Ariel wanted to leave the world of her family and go exploring. She was drawn to the forbidden--the land. She was always butting heads with her father over this. She was willing to even give up her voice to the sea witch to get her wish to go on land.

Belle was bookish, "nerdy," and very loyal and devoted to her father. She was terrified of the Beast at first but eventually believed she could civilize him.

I suppose this makes sense in her context.

It would take a lot of strength on her part to turn her husband in (assuming the charges are against her). That would be a big decision to turn on JB, cooperate with police and hurt her families chance at book deals, movies, etc. that they seemed so desperate for.

Ariel gave up her voice and ultimately became Ursula's prisoner until her father sacrificed himself for Ariel's freedom. With Eric rushing in to save the day (killing Ursula the sea witch) restoring Ariel's father's powers and kingdom.

Belle gave up her freedom to free her father....

IMO, we are giving her more credit than she deserves. Childlike? Yes, Hidden clues? No. Her reality????? A mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie