Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, husband arrested for abuse, Oct 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would take a lot of strength on her part to turn her husband in (assuming the charges are against her). That would be a big decision to turn on JB, cooperate with police and hurt her families chance at book deals, movies, etc. that they seemed so desperate for.

Based on her statement blaming what he has done on the trauma in Afghanistan, I’m about 50/50 on the fence as to whether she is the one who turned him in. But because she did say that he is responsible for his actions, I’d like to think she had the strength to do it. I hope she did it. But I’m just somewhat doubtful. If she did do it, I hope she can stick with the decision. If he is released on bail, I hope he is prohibited from having contact with her and with the children.

If he is released on bail, I hope he is prohibited from having contact with her and with the children.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Times new roman]Me too! Maybe he will get bail on Monday, but with the publication ban we may not know what the conditions will be.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Times new roman]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Times new roman]I'm hoping she is back in Pennsylvania by now and is healing and keeping those children out of the public eye. I found it disturbing that they allowed the child to be filmed for news segments.[/FONT]

"I would also like to say to my father specifically that I think you would like to know that my time in — married and my time as a mother and my time in prison — that I’ve become more of a Belle than an Ariel," said Coleman, known as Caity to her parents.

Jim Coleman told ABC News earlier this week that his daughter was trying to contrast Ariel of “The Little Mermaid,” who was rebellious and defied her father, with Belle of “Beauty and the Beast,” who protected her father.

“She is telling me, ‘Dad, I wish had listened to you more and not been Ariel and more a Belle,’” the elder Coleman said. “It’s a lot of humility and self-analysis of why she is in this situation.”

http://abcnews.go.com/International/american-hostage-family-freed-years-captivity/story?id=50432969

Ugh, what a smug and self-aggrandizing statement from her father. I don't care what went on between them prior to her marriage. The point where she is captive in Afghanistan is not the time to say a very public "I told you so." His comment also turns her fate on a referendum on not listening to daddy, which puts him at the center of events.

Ugh, what a smug and self-aggrandizing statement from her father. I don't care what went on between them prior to her marriage. The point where she is captive in Afghanistan is not the time to say a very public "I told you so." His comment also turns her fate on a referendum on not listening to daddy, which puts him at the center of events.

I'm not ready to condemn her father. He gave an explanation for her words during an interview after she was released. I assume he knows a lot more than we do. CC and JB need to be held accountable. One of the greatest lessons a parent can teach a child is personal responsibility. Her father has hardly been a media *advertiser censored*. Indeed her parents have avoided the media spotlight compared to JB's. I like his tough love attitude.

I'm not ready to condemn her father. He gave an explanation for her words during an interview after she was released. I assume he knows a lot more than we do. CC and JB need to be held accountable. One of the greatest lessons a parent can teach a child is personal responsibility. Her father has hardly been a media *advertiser censored*. Indeed her parents have avoided the media spotlight compared to JB's. I like his tough love attitude.

Yes, I think it’s very important to note that he said this after she was released, not while she was in Afghanistan. People were already wondering after their release why she and JB had gone there during her pregnancy. Her Dad was giving her credit for the humility and self-analysis she developed while in captivity.

There is nothing wrong with taking personal responsibility and admitting you made the wrong decision. We see all too little of it in the WS cases we follow. That doesn’t mean that CC is solely responsible for her predicament. JB clearly was powerful and persuasive...and had some kind of agenda that CC wasn’t savvy about or strong enough to resist at the time in whatever ‘stan they were in before entering Afghanistan...or before they took this trip in the first place. I really hope she can continue to let her eyes be opened now that he is in jail.

I think that is kind of a harsh assessment of the Father's statement. I didn't feel it was an ' I told you so.'

She was the one who was saying that she should have listened to him. He was simply discussing and interpreting what SHE said.

And she was not captive at the time, was she?

I think his statement was fine and he sounded like a concern father/grandfather, imo.

Please lay off criticism of the family of the victim.

:tyou:

interesting comparison not only with the father comparison but with the love interest.

Ariel (IMO more of a teenager)
She didn't feel like she fit in, she is curious about the world, is rebellious and defied her father's wishes.
There was love at first sight and IMO she became obsessive over being with her Prince Charming, she was willing to do anything to be with him

Belle (IMO a young woman)
Also didn't seem to fit in. She was bookish and cared deeply for her father's well being. She was selfless and made herself a prisoner so her father could go free.
She had aspirations beyond romance. She was not interested in marriage or the likes of a man such as Gaston and continually refuses him.
Belle develops a relationship with the Beast, her captor, and falls in love with him.

Hi, Ive been following this thread very, very closely and just want to throw something out there and see how others view it.

What if CC was totally fine with visiting the 'stans? Totally fine with just following the fella she loved? Danger, sure but Im in love kind of attitude.

Hi, Ive been following this thread very, very closely and just want to throw something out there and see how others view it.

What if CC was totally fine with visiting the 'stans? Totally fine with just following the fella she loved? Danger, sure but Im in love kind of attitude.

Yes, that could be very true.
And even if she told her family and friends they would not be traveling into Afghanistan she was probably convinced that going there was safe. Josh had convinced other travelers they met to go to Afghanistan and they went as well, Josh told them it was safe.

http://whereiscronin.blogspot.ca/2012/11/afghanistan-24th-september29th-october.html?m=1

"I asked Josh where he wanted to go in Afghanistan and he replied all over. He had also said it was safe provided you didn’t go to a region where there were foreign troops and the Taliban, namely the south.

Callie and I decided to leave for Afghanistan before Josh and Caitlin, but the four of us went to a Bazaar in the South of Dushanbe where transport could be found to the border.

I gave Josh my phone number and told him to get a phone so we could keep in touch."

In 2007, she moved to Toronto and lived with JB. Were they in a romantic relationship? or just roommates? When did she return to the US? unless she had a Visa she could not stay more than 180 days
In 2009 JB marries Zaynab Kahdr
In 2010 they divorce
In 2011 he marries Caitlan

Way exactly did the husband do recently?

Way exactly did the husband do recently?

Hi gitana1 :greetings:

As of Jan 1, 2018 Ottawa, ON

Former hostage Joshua Boyle was arrested by Ottawa Police and charge with 15 criminal charges on Jan 1, 2018
He is still in jail at the Ottawa Detention Centre
They are back in court tomorrow, Mon Jan 15. possibly the Bail Hearing (at the last hearing his lawyers asked for another week to work out the bail plan)

Boyle faces 15 charges, according to a court document outlining the allegations.

Eight counts of assault.
Two counts of sexual assault.
Two counts of unlawful confinement.
One count of uttering death threats.
One count of causing someone to “take a noxious thing, namely Trazodone.” (Trazodone is an antidepressant.)
One count of misleading police.
All of the alleged offences occurred in Ottawa between Oct. 14 and Dec. 30, the document says.

There are 2 victims

I think CC would have followed JB anywhere...

To me, the best sign that she underwent some kind of brainwashing in captivity is that she's still wearing a hijab.

To be clear, I have NO problem with the hijab per se. There are many women in my Jewish community who cover their heads after marriage, and while it is not a choice I would make myself, I respect them and don't think it interferes with their living full, confident lives. Same goes for the hijab.

But from pictures, it looks like it is not a choice CC had made prior to her captivity. Possibly she was forced to wear one during, in which case it is especially odd that she continued to do so after. Given JB's apparent conversion as part of marriage into a quite radical Muslim family, one wonders how much of it was genuinely her call and how much was his influence at a point in which she was under unimaginable emotional duress.

Maybe she was already on the path to conversion and chose to take on/continue wearing the hijab as a sign that her captors didn't get to define Islam for her. But everything we've heard about JB, his background, and his personality makes me wonder.

Yes, that could be very true.
And even if she told her family and friends they would not be traveling into Afghanistan she was probably convinced that going there was safe. Josh had convinced other travelers they met to go to Afghanistan and they went as well, Josh told them it was safe.

http://whereiscronin.blogspot.ca/2012/11/afghanistan-24th-september29th-october.html?m=1

"I asked Josh where he wanted to go in Afghanistan and he replied all over. He had also said it was safe provided you didn’t go to a region where there were foreign troops and the Taliban, namely the south.

Callie and I decided to leave for Afghanistan before Josh and Caitlin, but the four of us went to a Bazaar in the South of Dushanbe where transport could be found to the border.

I gave Josh my phone number and told him to get a phone so we could keep in touch."

In 2007, she moved to Toronto and lived with JB. Were they in a romantic relationship? or just roommates? When did she return to the US? unless she had a Visa she could not stay more than 180 days
In 2009 JB marries Zaynab Kahdr
In 2010 they divorce
In 2011 he marries Caitlan
BBM

According to an article I’ve posted before, but don’t feel like looking for (sorry), they revealed to the Star Wars Forum that they were in a physical relationship in 2005 or 2006. CC went to Toronto and planned to stay 4 months in 2007. There is no record of when she left. By 2006, JB was involved with the Khadr family, going to court during the Toronto 18 case. And the rest is history. I would really love to know how CC felt about his marriage to Zanayb Khadr in 2009. But suffice to say, she had invested years into a relationship with JB and I do believe she would have gone anywhere with him.

JB has an excellent law firm, wonder who is funding that huge expense?

Hope its not the taxpayers, given the nature of these charges.

With a bit of luck, the court will refuse him bail, ask for pre trial assessments and prevent him from being near the children.

Not sure if they can keep CC away from him, given that she is sympathetic to HIS 'trauma'.

Why has her Mama Bear instinct not kicked in? I understand the brainwashing, control and abuse issues but once you have an infant, you will kill for that child. At least most of us would.

Yes, this is what I am thinking. IMO she would have had to convert to his faith in order to get married. I think she may have hid the pregnancy from her parents and not worn the hijab in the photo of them back packing as too not upset her family, who seem to be in the dark about their plans.

JB has an excellent law firm, wonder who is funding that huge expense?

Hope its not the taxpayers, given the nature of these charges.

With a bit of luck, the court will refuse him bail, ask for pre trial assessments and prevent him from being near the children.

Not sure if they can keep CC away from him, given that she is sympathetic to HIS 'trauma'.

Why has her Mama Bear instinct not kicked in? I understand the brainwashing, control and abuse issues but once you have an infant, you will kill for that child. At least most of us would.

I suspect its his Father who is funding the legal fees. Being a prominent lawyer and now a Judge, I dont think he is hurting for money.

If one of the children is a victim, then there could be bail conditions put in place to stay away from them. I suspect Childrens Aid is on top of this. But he could very well get supervised visits with them. This is where Criminal Law & Family Law sometimes coincide. Under the Family Law act he as equal rights to the children. He could even fight for mobility rights so CC cannot move with the children.

I too question her Mama Bear instincts. I sometimes think she was in on this from the beginning and is a Taliban Bride.

I suspect its his Father who is funding the legal fees. Being a prominent lawyer and now a Judge, I dont think he is hurting for money.

If one of the children is a victim, then there could be bail conditions put in place to stay away from them. I suspect Childrens Aid is on top of this. But he could very well get supervised visits with them. This is where Criminal Law & Family Law sometimes coincide. Under the Family Law act he as equal rights to the children. He could even fight for mobility rights so CC cannot move with the children.

I too question her Mama Bear instincts. I sometimes think she was in on this from the beginning and is a Taliban Bride.

I haven’t heard the expression “Taliban Bride” before. Googling didn’t help. Can you say more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4