CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im trying to figure out what could stain the walls and staircase so bad at the same height all the way up the stairs.

The only thing I can guess at would be maybe little kids using their hands to guide themselves as they were going up and down the stairs.

Just a guess but frightening to think about if the real little ones were going up and down the stairs and maybe confined to the bedroom.

https://twitter.com/CBS11JasonAllen/status/953415117399523329

A very bizarre case. Makes me wonder how many are like this out there. :eek: :puke:

I suspect David Turpin is the mastermind. He is likely very controlling.

The article by the forensic psychologist was not very well researched - he doesn't know about Dr Seuss and he miscalculated how long the Turpins were married - but this was a good line about the Vegas weddings that sums up the family relationships:
Here is evidence of the children being treated as decorations for the parents’ rituals.

This is one of those very tragic folie à deux -- of the highest order. Textbook. IMO.
Read this article -- the shoe seems to fit, IMO.

It doesn't matter just now, but it could be used as a defense -- IF the couple would permit a defense having to do with a mental disorder. Worrying in advance -- one of my pesky faults.

https://emedicine.medscape.com/arti...0qRbbosBRRs/I6zrfTYn788fkq9g2DPn5sb65MIOIqA4=

No, this is highly unlikely. Legal insanity is different from psychiatric diagnoses. All the prosecutor has to do is show they knew right from wrong, which is why insanity is rarely used as a criminal defense. A DSM-IV diagnosis likely won't matter legally.

Im trying to figure out what could stain the walls and staircase so bad at the same height all the way up the stairs.

The only thing I can guess at would be maybe little kids using their hands to guide themselves as they were going up and down the stairs.

Just a guess but frightening to think about if the real little ones were going up and down the stairs and maybe confined to the bedroom.

My (messy) family had to magic eraser the stripe down our white hallway from my brother and I dragging our hands down it often during my childhood. We were well-loved, had lights on, etc - just hand trailers.

Do we know if all the kids are still being treated? I keep thinking about the older children... they're over 18 so technically "adults" by legal definition. I wonder who will help them as they are allowed to leave the hospitals.

Wow. In all my years in the business I have never heard of them falsifying records. Exaggerating, yes. The issues I tend to see are that these tend to be overworked and often not that educated workers, who often allow abuse and neglect to slip through the cracks, or who form opinions based on personal feelings, likes or dislikes, and then harass the parent they don't like as a result. Neither of which are good.

But yeah, they certainly could lie to get the kids out of there. Just as LE could lie as well about probable cause.

I'm telling you, every bit of it is pathology. They have zero rhythm. Like they're not used to moving around. They are incredibly awkward. They seem physically delayed, like you said, in their ability to snap their fingers, keep a beat even - like they've not had the practice using gross or fine motor skills as children (or adults) should. I mean I get it that not everyone is that coordinated nor has rhythm but this seems like more than that.

The little girl dresses with high heeled shoes. The long, uniform hair. The fixation on Elvis. The high pitched voices and childlike appearances of the adults kids. What does it all mean?

I see some similar things with a couple other mega families mentioned on here and it always makes me feel slightly uneasy. Like it;s a sign of something...wrong.

I know in books I have read, like Munchausen cases or other weird murders, there has been mention in the books about the person's odd appearance or mannerisms. Like it goes with psychological dsitrubance in some way.

I wish I knew more about psychology. I did found something about Schizotypal (SP?) people and appearance. But does anyone know more? is there a connection and if so, why? What does it mean?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/schizotypal-personality-disorder

I;m not attempting to diagnose here. Just exploring a bit the possible connection between odd appearance and behavior with mental illness. I am trying to understand.

Well we see families on here quite a bit who fail to keep take their kids to doctors, and keep them isolated from others.

And yes, kids who attend public schools slip through the cracks regularly, like little Gabriel Fernandez, who was tortured to death.

But again, the homeschooling movement and popularity have given dysfunctional people an easy way to hide their abuse or neglect where in the past, despite the fact that kids can and do slip through the cracks, there was more of an opportunity for monitoring, and more safeguards for kids who attended a brick and mortar school.

Regulation fails kids. But it also saves many.

It's just we have certain constitutional protections in this country and the general national attitude views child rearing as a very personal thing that the government should stay out of.

So I agree that more regulation probably isn't the answer.

More community involvement with each other may be though. And people should not make assumptions about the health of one another's families based on religious or other beliefs. I note the grandmother here stated that the family was "respectable" and religious. i think sometimes if people view others as religious they feel they can't do anything harmful or have problems they need help with. They're "blessed".

We need to be observant when it comes to family, friends and neighbors and if something feels off, ask questions. Dig a little. Offer an ear or assistance if anyone might seem in need.

Isolation is often dangerous.

Schizotypal Personality Disorder is a rather interesting possibility. Dylan Klebold comes to mind.

Dylan Klebold: Personality Profile
http://uspp.csbsju.edu/criminal-profiling/Columbine_Dylan-Klebold-profile.html

I was looking at the three girls in this Vegas wedding video (start around 14:36) and realized these girls are probably teenagers. Horrifying. When they speak briefly in the microphone, their voices are very high pitched, like little children. It almost sounds like they don't even speak often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_FShQVnJIw&feature=youtu.be

ETA: The poor boy at 24:00. He looks so thin. This video was made in 2013, so those kids were malnourished even then.

Brings to mind some interviews with women in the Warren Jeffs cult. I recall noting that the women's voices were abnormally high, or thin.

These girls do look abnormally "shy" or fearful--unable to move their bodies to the music. Stiff.

There is plaster missing from the facade of the house at hand height also.

Facebook page has gone. Photos disappeared one by one as I was looking at them. Poof.

I'm still seeing some of them and am doing prtsc. I've found it odd that there are, I think, 16 kids, in one photo on Aug 2011, with what appears to be another couple included. A single comment, posted six years ago, simply states; 20... There are 20 in the photo, unless I'm counting one twice. Kind of an odd comment though.

One expected baby seems to have disappeared. On Dec 20, 2010, Louise posted a picture on Facebook of the family dressed in red, with a street scene behind them. The children are holding tubes. In a comment, Louise replied "Thanks and in 9 months we will have a new little one to add." But there are already 12 children in the picture, and the baby shown in the last several years appears close to a newborn in the Spring of 2015.

Red?? omg this sounds so Handmaids Tale.

Do we know if all the kids are still being treated? I keep thinking about the older children... they're over 18 so technically "adults" by legal definition. I wonder who will help them as they are allowed to leave the hospitals.

On NPR this evening, a reporter who was at the presser and following the case said that the state of Ca was planning on taking care of them for the immediate future-all 13 siblings. I have tried to find a link, but no luck yet.

In the press conference today, the representative from CFS said they planned to petition the court to allow them to have temporary custody of all the children, even the older ones. They felt the older children will need help for a while - medical, psychological, educational, etc. Hopefully they can provide them with assistance to develop good social skills, job skills, etc. to allow them to function independently in society, but it sounded as though the were going to need a lot of help.

I'm assuming the under-age kids are in foster care. Where do the adult children go?

That's been my concern.

"The children remain in hospital undergoing treatment and child services will now seek a court order to have oversight over the 13 children, including those over the age of 18."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...s-found-chained-starving-california-home-say/

Oh that's good. I wonder where they will stay? Group homes?

Newer story:

http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/crime_courts/2018/01/16/david/1036288001/

"One former neighbor on Saint Honore Drive in Murrieta, where the family lived before moving to Perris, said he often arrived home from work anywhere from 12:30 am to 3 am and he'd see the father loading up the kids in the van.

"I was wondering what they were doing with them at that time of the night," said Mike Clifford.

Clifford said he only thought there were about six children living there, the oldest appearing to be a 15-year-old boy. At the time, the group owned a pair of Mustangs – each with Texas license plates – and a van.

According to Clifford, his wife encountered two of the girls while they picked up mail at the community mailboxes across the street from the family's home. They dressed alike and spoke in a way that was "robotic."

It wasn't the only odd behavior he and his wife noticed. Occasionally, he saw children walking back and forth between rooms in front of the windows facing his house.

"They would march for hours in the middle of the night," Clifford said. "You could see them pass one window and come around."

Yeah, and they're behavior at the wedding chapel is consistent with victims of abuse. The tentative movements and even the smiles. They know how to fake smiles.

Incredibly stunted - I saw a video linked earlier in this thread where a doctor said the 29 year old is physically similar to an underdeveloped 15 year old.

The video also shows LE confirming that three of the Turpin children were chained to furniture.

Edited to add the link to the video:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/doctors-speak-abc-news-siblings-233321898.html

It's shocking.

The article by the forensic psychologist was not very well researched - he doesn't know about Dr Seuss and he miscalculated how long the Turpins were married - but this was a good line about the Vegas weddings that sums up the family relationships:
Here is evidence of the children being treated as decorations for the parents’ rituals.

One of the things that really was upsetting was the obvious apparent selfishness of the parents. At least 3 occasions where they renewed their vows and the kids were apparently taken only to participate in supporting roles for the parents special day.

There was some obvious rehersals that must have taken place for the kids to perform their duty while the spectacle played out. And the pictures and videographer were there so that the parents could have their keepsake for their day.

All for the parents and the kids had to perform their duty during the service. The kids seemed happy but how come there is not a celebration of any of the kids special days like a birthday or a graduation from a grade level. Maybe there was as I didnt try to find their FB before it disappeared. Even if home schooled I think there would be advancement into another grade level which I am sure the kids would have been happy to be recognized for their advancement.

Most parents like to post photos of special events for their children. I got the sense that there was little to none of that. Is there a lot of that out there and was just not put in news articles. We dont want to share any of that of course since they are minors. Just curious if it even exists.

So do we have any more info from LE on how long the kids were restrained/chained for? Why they were restrained? What the kids said about what went on in the home? What info the 17 year old gave on the 911 call?

On NPR this evening, a reporter who was at the presser and following the case said that the state of Ca was planning on taking care of them for the immediate future-all 13 siblings. I have tried to find a link, but no luck yet.

I wonder what that involves though for adult children. Group homes? Foster care? Hospitals? some kind of rehab facility?

Before the FB site disappeared, I spent hours last night looking through pictures and the wedding video. In 2013 the girls wore the high heels (and couldnt walk in them). In 2016 they all had chunky maybe 1/2 inch Mary Janes. Just struck me odd. You’d think it would be the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

things may have been a bit more normal then i reckon. age appropriate. i suppose im saying they were a little more normal.

it might be me, but on one of the disney pics, the children all had on flip flops. could you do a full day of walking in disney in flip flops. i know my children wouldn't have been able to. 12 pairs of flip flops 40 quid?

JMO
I totally agree. I also caught the looks to Mom as if to get permission from her.

As far as his and his son's bowl haircut I can guarantee they are cutting their own hair because I have the same haircut style when I elect to do mine "in house" :)

I would normally think they could be just trying to save money but I have a feeling they would do their own hair to keep their kids isolated and keep them from talking to people "on the outside".

My grandfather couldn't afford a hair cut so from an early age my mom would "help" by putting a bowl on his head and cutting it herself. (my poor grandfather was very nice about it, even though it probably looked awful). I think that's where the term bowlcut comes from. And I would guess thats how the mom cuts the boys and dad's hair.

Before the FB site disappeared, I spent hours last night looking through pictures and the wedding video. In 2013 the girls wore the high heels (and couldnt walk in them). In 2016 they all had chunky maybe 1/2 inch Mary Janes. Just struck me odd. You’d think it would be the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

things may have been a bit more normal then i reckon. age appropriate. i suppose im saying they were a little more normal.

it might be me, but on one of the disney pics, the children all had on flip flops. could you do a full day of walking in disney in flip flops. i know my children wouldn't have been able to. 12 pairs of flip flops 40 quid?

Also the high heels were on the earlier video and the chunkier shoes on the most recent one.

that poor boy with his trousers, they clearly were from the last time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member