CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the victim who made the call is still a minor and the DA pressed the point of maximum protection, privacy and prevention of exploitation of the victims, I doubt the 911 call will be released.

The DA doesn't have the authority to withhold a 911 recording. It's a public record.

How to Obtain Records of 911 Calls in California

The California Public Records Act, or CPRA, makes state and local agency records, including emergency 911 call records, available for public inspection and copying. You can make 911 records requests verbally or in writing to the specific agency that holds the records, such as local law enforcement departments. You must provide as much information identifying the call as you can. This includes a date range when the call was placed; parties' names and addresses; or descriptions of the incident to help the agency research and locate the requested records..

How to Obtain Records of 911 Calls in California

*snip*

Louise as a control freak I think could care less about a filthy house. Being a narcissist, cleaning was to demeaning for her.

Satch

This is an interesting comment. She may indeed be a narcissist, but maybe she couldn’t care less because she (or he) had some form of a squalor/hoarding disorder. If we look at just the facts as they are currently known, we know from pictures of abandoned properties and LEO descriptions that this family lived in varying degrees of squalor over the years. Post-partum depression, PTSD, and loss can all trigger or exacerbate this condition. There are so many things it could be at this juncture, none of us can possibly know the minds and motivations yet.

Whatever it is, there is no excuse for what they have done to those children.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the drawing found in the old house. If you pause the video it appears the drawing is actually a huge drawing on the wall. You can see the edge of a door beside it and a smoke alarm hanging above. Seems strange this large ‘target’ drawing would be so large and on the wall

Complaint Count #26 is for #13 identified as "JANAE" and then Jan T. ** This may be where aunt who said hadn't been in touch in 19 years, and not accept fb request yet they were friends and she posted - said named child after her :scared:

It is belief her DOB is around 4/2/2015, due to date posted as profile eating cake and happy birthday wishes.

And side note on dates, even the Elvis videos...

LT birthday is 5/24. Yet people were wishing her Happy Birthday on profile dated 11/5/2011. That photo is LT, -DT and Elvis and LT has short blind hair.

LT & -DT wedding anniversary is 2/11/1985. No reason jmho they would renew vows any time other than anniversary dates. And Feb also fits to size of infant in Feb 2016 for group family with infant in.

When you reuse a profile photo used prior, the date reused changes but comments follow orig. (Just tried it with mine) This is why I say they recycled so many of the public viewable photos.

Re: them wanting a reality tv show, I suspect it wasn't a real plan, but describing that as a goal to far-away family members could be a part of creating the impression (that some relatives mentioned having), that the family was doing well -- so well that they would make an interesting tv show.

Also, hi everyone, :newhere: *waves*

HI AUNTIE........WELCOME TO WEBSLEUTHS

:welcome6: :wagon:

Turpin family moved to Rio Vista in 1999.
Purchased the double wide 5/2004.
They moved into double wide and out of brick house. We don't know what shape house was in when moved in. But from all accounts they lived in double wide, not in brick house again. House was built in 1975 from what I have seen. So jmho could have been cheaper to buy the double wide than make repairs to house.

I saw a photo of -DT, LT and -DT parents in double wide, sitting on the same brown couch sectional as the kids sitting on with infant. The photo is imprinted with date 1/4/2002. So I don't believe the just left all stuff behind. Don't know what maxed out credit cards for though.

If you want to do something aside from making a financial contribution for them, I would suggest doing something for kids in your area. It could be anything from donating kids items to a women's shelter to volunteering at a food pantry.

If you live in a cold climate, you could purchase hats and gloves for kids and approach a school bus garage. Many bus drivers keep hats and gloves on hand for kids who can't afford appropriate winter clothing. School counselors also probably keep a list of kids in need.

Or post a request on your Facebook page asking local friends to private message you the names of kids in need. I was giving a certain amount of eggs from our hens away each month and asked my friends for names of people who might be struggling whom I could deliver free eggs to.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Again, thanks for helping animals AND PEOPLE!

I've been having kind of a hard time keeping up with the discussion. And I also had to take a break for a while because emotionally I just couldn't handle it anymore. I like to think I'm usually a pretty level headed guy, but I could really feel myself sinking into depression.

Can someone please, PLEASE find some GOOD news about how the kids are doing now? I remember a representative from one of the hospitals saying that the younger kids are "physically, doing well, despite the horrifying ordeal they suffered." That's great news. Psychologically they're majorly screwed up I'm sure, but at least physically they're doing better. BUT I really want to also hear how the older kids, the young adults, are doing. Because it seems like they were the ones who were in much worse condition and some of them might have been close to dying. I remember either someone from the hospital or the District Attorney saying earlier that they are "comfortable," and the DA said in the press conference on Thursday that the kids are feeling "relieved" now. But I also read somewhere that there was still concern about the 29 year old girl.

So has anyone come across any new updates on the condition of the older kids? I know they are not going to be recovered yet and will still have lingering health problems for a long time. Especially since the hospital would have to refeed them slowly and carefully. But I really hope they are at least feeling better. It still breaks my heart to think how much pain they must have been in and how frail they were.

I want to know that they're at least starting to feel better, and are able to feel comfortable and even have a little fun for likely the first time in years.

I was thinking the other day, these kids have never had interactions with people other than their parents and siblings.

They must have been taught to be very distrustful of outsiders, plus the home atmosphere of being completely dominated and controlled by their parents.

So I really wonder whether they're able to have honest heart to heart talks with psychologists, police etc. about their own experiences. I wonder if they could possibly be able to explain things in an objective way, I'd expect they'll be very troubled by feelings of confusion, distrust, anxiety, guilt, self-doubt, etc.

I think professionals gaining the children's complete trust will take time. As you said, they've probably been taught to distrust anyone outside the family. So it's going to take patience on the part of the professionals to go easy.

I've thought too about the probability of any of the children having to testify against their parents in a trial. Professionals will have to gain the children's trust to begin the long process of preparing them to testify.

Does anyone know where to find the full wedding video where the survivors are actually saying their names?

I wonder if we're over-thinking it. Maybe someone asked the siblings (or a representative for the siblings), "What kind do you want, crew-neck or v-neck?" and the answer was "Umm..crew neck is fine." So crew neck went on the list.

jmo

I think the whole list indicates a desire to provide them with cozy comfort and to be as modest as possible. for a variety of reasons.

I can't help thinking that the way both LT and DT were raised, has had a lot of influence on this whole bizarre, tragic mess.
Both come from very religious families, and I think at least in their life together (but possibly also back in their own childhoods) this religion became an extreme, distorted version. I see slivers of Mormonism, with the need to keep producing babies. I see slivers of Exclusive Brethren with the no TV, the separation from the outside world, the children dressed identically with similar haircuts.
I think their young age when getting together, combined with some variety of mental/personality disorders, combined with religious fanaticism, resulted in their own weird cult like form of religion.

I hope that none of the extended family get custody of the children, because personally I believe that the family on both sides are extremely messed up, with a lot of religious bullcrap, compulsive lying, and attention seeking. I believe that these people will smile and praise God, but would sell their own souls for a dollar. And please note - I am using the word "religious" NOT "christian". There is a difference. These people will claim to be good christians, but nothing in their character reflects Christ.

I also recall reading one of the family members (and I have a feeling it was one of DT's parents) where quoted as having all kinds of denial about what has happened, but then actually said something like "This is so embarrassing for the family"
Embarrassing????? WTF???? Your family members have abused and starved, and tortured their own children ... and you are worried about how it looks? This is the kind of thing I hate. When people who play the part of "good christians" and it's all just for show. Makes me sick.

I couldn't figure out how to edit my post, so I just want to say that I found the story I was looking for, and although it was DT's parents who seemed to be expressing a lot of denial, it was actually LT's sister (the best selling author one <----- insert eye roll) that said "“They died before they got to see them again. It’s just heartbreaking, and I’m so embarrassed about all of this.”

As I look at the family pics many times over, I get a weirder and weirder feeling. Even all the hairstyles are the same. These are stepford children! Show and tell for pics only! Amazing!
I think the mother is more than likely mentally ill and it wouldn't surprise me if the dad is a pervert. The mom might be too. All kinds of things are swirling in my mind!
Both of these parents are just sick! They both had to be getting something out of all of this for their own demented pleasure(s). I have a feeling we are going to be hearing much more.We've only unraveled the tip of the iceberg imo.

I tried to comment and link to one of the middle aged girls being unable to (to me) sound her name properly in the long wedding video.
I'm very happy to say that that video seems to have been removed in its entirety.

Edit: the other thing that i wanted to say; it infuriates me that their personal journals could be bandied around to fecking academics or whoever, is this really a thing? i know that they will need to be taken for the court case etc etc, but can they really be used and given to whomever is deemed fit by other people?

I know we learn off different scenarios, will they seek permission off the authors if they use them for research?

Researcher here. Nope, they will not be used for research purposes. Too many ethical issues for any institution to want to even touch them, and they would not be considered to have enough value or benefit to risk harm to the subjects. The only way someone could use them is if they enter the public record. But even then, they wouldn't be considered valid data unless the researchers had access to the original sources, which, again, isn't going to happen. I don't know where you heard academics use personal journals. It's more in the context of important historic figures who have entered their notes and journals into the public record. There's always permissions and consent involved though, and in particular with vulnerable populations, minor children and those who are institutionalized or otherwise compromised. You can't just claim personal journals for research purposes without consent of the owner. I think you might be thinking of the Genie case, which happened in the early 1970s before institutional review boards and international research ethics standards were created to protect research participants particularly as a response to cases like Genie, and other children/babies, racial minority men and women, and prisoners were used as research subjects without proper consent and ethical standards of confidentiality, risk/benefit and minimization of harm being considered.

The next court date on the criminal charges is February 23, 2018 to discuss preparedness for a preliminary hearing. Judge Michael B. Donner has approved defendants to wear street clothes.

However, the Riverside County D.A. is seeking a protective order that would ban any contact to the survivors by the defendants. While jailed, the defendants could still write or call. "... the order would prohibit direct or indirect contact, such as through a third party, as well as written and electronic contact. ..."

"A hearing on the motion is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 24, in Riverside County Superior Court. The victims are not required to appear, but the defendants are, Hall said."

https://www.pe.com/2018/01/19/distr...-accused-of-torture-from-contacting-children/

I hope the District Attorney's office appoints a guardian ad litem for the children to represent them in any hearings. I don't know the law in this matter, but since there's adult children and minor children, there might have to be two guardians ad litem appointed.

I wonder if the parents felt the 29 year old was no longer of any use to them so they were just going to let her die off. If she would have died because of their extreme neglect would they have been charged with murder? At her age, would they have been considered her caretaker? Because of her age, her not being able to get away, is this a form of kidnapping? Is chaining her up kidnapping? I have so many questions!

I'm not sure why we're assuming that LT is the primary instigator of the abuse and DT is a less culpable participant. I see no evidence so far that they aren't BOTH psychopaths with equal motivation, capability and culpability in abusing their kids.

Can someone explain where the theory that LT was the leader and DT the follower, when we know next to nothing at the moment about who did what to whom and for what reasons (except that DT committed a lewd act on one of the daughters) comes from?

Sorry if repost:

&#8216;California torture house&#8217; case exposes lack of oversight of home schools
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...e-exposes-lack-oversight-home-schools-n839281

The horrifying conditions allegedly found at the Turpins' Perris, California, home has prompted California Assemblyman Jose Medina, D-Riverside, to plan a bill that would provide a legislative solution.

"I am extremely concerned about the lack of oversight the State of California currently has in monitoring private and home schools," Medina said in a statement.

His communications director, Kelly Reynolds, said Medina will be meeting with the state department of education and others next week and will file a bill by the Feb. 16 deadline for the current session.

No state agency regulates or oversees private schools in California. The California Department of Education said in a statement this week that it is "sickened by this tragedy" but the department "does not approve, monitor, inspect, or oversee private schools" but would "gladly" work to change the laws."

*more at link

I hope the District Attorney's office appoints a guardian ad litem for the children to represent them in any hearings. I don't know the law in this matter, but since there's adult children and minor children, there might have to be two guardians ad litem appointed.

Oh I think they definitely will, definitely for the minor children who have no legal guardian at the moment, and I also don't think the adults will be considered capable of making legal decisions for themselves, given their "lack of knowledge of life" described by the DA. I doubt they know anything about the legal system, and will have to be put under some sort of conservatorship or custody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong