CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a really nasty guy Mountain Mama, but he can't possibly be EAR/ONS as he was definitely incarcerated at the time of Janelle Cruz's murder on May 4th 1986.

In 1981, Bacom was arrested for sodomy by force or fear of a person under 14 years of age in Isleton and was sentenced to 24 years in prison. He was released from custody 12 years later.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/1...torious-37-year-old-kidnapping-homicide-case/

DNA has proved beyond doubt that the same person is guilty of all the official ONS murders, therefore if someone couldn't have committed one of the murders he didn't commit the others either.

Also it was a DNA match which finally proved that he (MB) was responsible for the murder of Suzanne Bombadier, so they have already entered his DNA into the system, had it been a match for the EAR/ONS crimes it would have came back as a positive match already.

But I wouldn't be surprised if DNA eventually proves that MB was responsible for 1-2 other non-EAR/ONS murders, given the nature of his crimes.

He didn't have to buy a house to set up a home. He could have had an apartment or given a home as a wedding present. There was a period where he was taking things that made it appear he was setting up his own place by what he took. Time will tell when he is outed.

also he could have had another addiction requiring cash from pawning things (i mean are we sure he kept everything? maybe something were momentos and some things not.) something like gambling addiction maybe? It is so interesting to read everyone's theories! :)

also he could have had another addiction requiring cash from pawning things (i mean are we sure he kept everything? maybe something were momentos and some things not.) something like gambling addiction maybe? It is so interesting to read everyone's theories! :)
I don't think so because many times he didn't take any cash, only sometimes.

I don't think so because many times he didn't take any cash, only sometimes.

... as far as we know. A Redditor suggested the other day that he could have stalked and robbed drug dealers. People don't usually file police reports on their stolen drug money.

... as far as we know. A Redditor suggested the other day that he could have stalked and robbed drug dealers. People don't usually file police reports on their stolen drug money.

or he could have given stolen goods to drug dealers for drugs. I have read that is common among junkies/meth addicts - particularly back in the 70’s-80’s.

No offense, but it's not likely you could buy a house with the proceeds of random middle class burglaries, including china plates. Which would have to be fenced where you get maybe ten percent of the value. This guy didn't steal enough to do anything but support a drug habit maybe, a drifter lifestyle. He ignored a lot of loot in favor of raping and killing.

Did he have a girlfriend? He wandered around the houses, talking to himself. "I have to kill them both." He called up victims and harassed them. While it's not impossible some woman foolish enough hooked up with him, even got married, that is unlikely to be related to his compulsion to commit horrible crimes.

I have to go back to he was shot and killed or incarcerated for life or at least 30 years back in 1986. Or else he moved on to Arizona or Texas, Florida, the South. He seemed to prefer warmer climates, but not too hot. Santa Barbara (Goleta) has some of the mildest weather in the state. If he fled, he went to Mexico or more likely the southern US.

which makes me still wonder in that newspapers.com sourced archived report about Hill (I think I’m remembering his name correct) - if the article could have had an error in it. The article I sourced was about Hill, the nightstalker in OC who killed himself in summer of 1986 when being surveilled and eventually pursued by police. I wish I could find his actual arrest/incarceration records. I need the help of a super sleuth! And I need to pay that dumb fee to find my newsclip again. If anyone can promise to help me find his arrest/incarceration record I’ll pay that dumb fee lol.

illyana I agree with your profile completely. There is a lot of meth and many transient weirdos in CA here. Everyone assumes people here are all loaded and sunshine&#8217;s perfect. Uh no. We have more hate groups than any state by far and a lot of hillbilly trash. Many end up in the warmer areas - particularly desert areas south. where I live near Joshua Tree unfortunately - within 3 months we have had a methy kid claim ISIS and threaten the elementary school, I had to stop a methheads breaking into my house and sheriff never showed up to call after 8 hours to ask if it was really an emergency <wtf>, and also last week a methhead flashed himself at the school crosswalk and my friend had to citizen arrest him but of course police didn&#8217;t arrest him bc all of the sudden he forgot how to speak English and acted asleep/mentally disabled.

Here is another thought as for where the stolen goods might have gone (Silas Boston has given me some good theories):

maybe they were pawned/sold in Mexico? Maybe the murderer frequented south of the border? Not saying Boston IS Ear/Ons necessarily, but maybe Ear/Ons is LIKE Boston. These people murdered for a hobby - they planned all of these murders out and I believe there was a very good crackproof plan for the goods stolen as well in the EAR/ONS attacks.

I found this interesting info when searching around about Boston:

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755658

&#8221;To make a long story short, SacPD were originally looking into Silas Duane Boston on suspicion of him being EAR, but eventually DNA cleared him but not before they charged him with other non-EAR murders. Anyway, Boston's son, Russell, suspects one of his father's apprentices of being EAR after noticing some similarities between the two.

Copying what Russell has mentioned on the forum, this apprentice:

was born in 1950
ex-Vietnam vet
attended American River College in the early 1970s and Sacramento State in the late 1970s
He always attended college, earned degrees but didn't apply them to work, instead just kept going to school on his GI bill and never working a real job until the early 1980s, when he worked as a real-estate agent in Carmichael, CA.
While at that real-estate job, he also moonlighted by painting the rental homes and apartments
Bears a resemblance to the Ripton Prowler composite
Blood type A
Committed a series of home invasions and robberies with Boston in the 1970s, particularly in June of 1976 (month of the first EAR attack)
Boston was ex Coast Guard, Merchant Marines etc. and was a knot expert and taught this to his apprentice
They always wore ski-masks, gloves and had specific houses they targeted, (cul-de-sacs or backyards which didn't butt up against another home, for a quick getaway if needed).
He and Boston could tap into phone lines outside of houses, or down the street to make free calls or eavesdrop on homes.
He had an aunt who lived on Watt Ave
He moved from Sacramento back to his parents house in Reseda, north of Los Angeles in either late 1979 or 1980, where he grew up. In 1980 he started a real estate development company with his dad, building very high end homes. He was in charge of delegating construction and would often paint them himself. He and his dad had a small private plane at the Van Nuys Airport they would use to fly around to the different construction sites.
His "crew" in SoCal had a tow-truck they used to steal cars without it being obvious, getting cars on a "list" and driving around until they saw one, hooking up to it and driving away, making it look like a legal tow.
He died in 1988 in a motorcycle accident. His autopsy reports his height as 6'3", but he was crushed under several wheels of a semi truck.

There is a photo of this guy but I'll need to dig it up. Also after he died he was cremated. His parents were cremated to. He had no siblings or kids. They are now hoping an ex girlfriend has a letter where he has licked the stamp for them to extract DNA. Matter of time now.&#8221;

this was the guy who shot and killed himself during the pursuit in 1986. Barrie Lee Hill. One article I had found way back said he was incarcerated, but all I kind find is that he did a little time in a mental ward in 1975.
[h=1]"Week in Review : MAJOR EVENTS, IMAGES AND PEOPLE IN ORANGE COUNTY NEWS : AT THE SCENE : A Front Yard Is End of Road for Long-Sought Rape Suspect[/h]
June 29, 1986| Times staff writer s Gary Jarlson and Barry S. Surman compiled the Week in Review stories.

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
Barrie Lee Hill, a prime suspect in a series of rapes and robberies dating back to 1981, was under surveillance by Garden Grove police, who said said they were hoping to catch him committing a crime.
Instead, the 35-year-old Hill ambushed two officers who were trailing him, wounding one of them in a shoot-out that ended when he killed himself.
Hill, who lived in Garden Grove, had been under investigation for some time, police said, but there had not been enough evidence to charge him with any of the armed robberies or assaults. So, officers Robert Sanders and David Kivier were tailing Hill in hopes of catching him in the act.
An ex-convict who had served five years in prison for rape and robbery in Oceanside, Hill was hiding in shrubbery next to a house on Jackson Street when he reportedly started shooting, hitting Sanders in the arm. The officers returned the fire, wounding Hill five times, but he still managed to get away.
Hill was later found in the front yard of a nearby residence suffering what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. He died 2 1/2 hours later. Police said they found that Hill was carrying a ski mask, gloves, a pistol and a dagger."

Well this is going to complicate things. Shortly before his recent execution, Houston "Tourniquet Killer" Anthony Shore confessed to a few 1970s Sacramento area home invasion rapes previously attributed to EAR/ONS. He was living in the area at the time. This article below contains a few quotes that are very interesting to say the least:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-...on-serial-killer-confessed-to-60-12516362.php

The former wrecker driver who last week became the nation's first killer executed in 2018 also admitted to two copycat assaults in the 1970s previously attributed to a Sacramento predator known as the East Area Rapist — a case in which his sisters already suspected him. "Everywhere we lived, there was a rapist," his youngest sister, Laurel Scheel, told the Chronicle.

"He would allude to other things, but it was always an allusion," said defense attorney Patrick McCann, who defended Shore during his initial trial. "'If you guys only knew the whole story.' But honestly, we were just trying not to ask questions we didn't want the answers to."

It's not clear when the alleged assaults started, but one of the first times Shore's sisters suspected him was when they lived in the Sacramento area, where the East Area Rapist was already making headlines. Before his death — a few days before word of the new rape confessions emerged — his sister Gina Shore voiced suspicions about the California case, though she pointed about that the predator was already active when the Shores moved to the area. "It's entirely possible that him or his friends did a copycat," she said last week.
Anthony Shore would have only been 17 or 18 years old at the time, and there may not be any DNA preserved from the case to help check his claims, one source said.

This article raises so many more questions than answers. Which EAR/ONS cases did Anthony Shore admit to? Who did he associate with during his time in California? Could one of his aforementioned "friends" be involved in the EAR/ONS case? Were there multiple, independent, home invading predators active in this area simultaneously?

My podcast Criminology will be covering this case very extensively starting in late February. We will have on investigators, victims, witnesses, and more.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/criminology/id1264424015?mt=2

We will also be at Crimecon in May on podcast row, and it looks like victims/survivors of the East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer will also be there too spreading awareness of the case, they did a great job last year at Crimecon

Wow, this guy AAS deserves a close look for sure for crimes in CA. He strikes me as slick and in his younger years somewhat attractive, a dangerous combination for women. I had not heard of him, the so-called Tourniquet Killer. He clearly needs to be sleuthed and looked at for EAR/ONS crimes. Good Find!!

Wow, this guy AAS deserves a close look for sure for crimes in CA. He strikes me as slick and in his younger years somewhat attractive, a dangerous combination for women. I had not heard of him, the so-called Tourniquet Killer. He clearly needs to be sleuthed and looked at for EAR/ONS crimes. Good Find!!

I may be wrong...but don't they have DNA on EARS?? They have DNA from AAS which helped match him to crime.

Shore was born in 1962, making him 14 at the start of the EAR crimes. He also seems to prefer strangulation, which I don't think the EAR/ONS/GSK ever did. I'd bet against it being him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson