CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that I've noticed that is different from us, our family, anyway, is that I've not seen individual pictures of the kids. They're always lined up and grouped together. Even the baby is with LT. I've not seen their entire FB so idk for sure. I always took individual shots of the kids too. Shots of the kids actually doing stuff. I've got shots of them actually riding rides at parks, on their pony, playing with the dogs, I've got all kinds of shots. Maybe it's just the photo-bug in me, but I found no individuality in any of the shots I've seen. No cute impulsive shots. They were just taking a shot to prove they went somewhere, or to possibly pacify relatives, imo.

Yes, great observation! There is nothing spontaneous happening in this family. With the exception of the siblings lined up on the couch in their bare feet, which I think is the only home picture, the parents are posed in every picture and video, at some other location.

That's why it dosen't feel right. There are no close ups, no intimate moments, playing, holidays, running with the dogs, none of that. Those spontaneous moments are what is missing.

I never their saw FB page before it was taken down. Perhaps someone else here saw it, remembers if there was anything other than these group shots?

It is difficult with all the different terminology. Over her for instance we have nursing homes, residential homes, warden facilitated living, sheltered accommodation, supported living to name but a few.

Where they go hopefully there will be a good balamce and an holistic approach taken to ensure that they learn the necessary skills to become adults but that their spiritual, emotional and medical needs are met

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

We have group/residential homes here in the metroplex that have an inhouse "manager" to help them out and keep them on track.

We also have assisted living apartments all over the place where you have your own little apartment with a kitchen and bathroom (has a pull cord to call for help like they have in hospitals) and if you want to you can go down to the dining room for your meals. They have buses that takes groups on outings and shopping if you don't have a car. That would be a nice transition to being more self dependent.

I sure everyone of the children will get or already receiving medicare/medicaid benefits from the get go. I'm sure they had social workers, therapist ,and guardian ad litums for the younger children, within a few hours after getting to the hospital. The older ones for disability and medicaid. Disability is for living and Medicaid pays all health care. All or some of them may be on these services the rest of their lives.

In the some photos of the children, two of the girls have their hair parted on the right and not down the middle like to others.

I think Medicaid has recently been changed . It now requires a work mandate and what else?

The Medicaid work mandate changes do not yet and may not ever reach CA.

But if they do, they are only for those who cannot prove disability, which I think we can agree that these adult children can, at least for the time being.

One thing that I've noticed that is different from us, our family, anyway, is that I've not seen individual pictures of the kids. They're always lined up and grouped together. Even the baby is with LT. I've not seen their entire FB so idk for sure. I always took individual shots of the kids too. Shots of the kids actually doing stuff. I've got shots of them actually riding rides at parks, on their pony, playing with the dogs, I've got all kinds of shots. Maybe it's just the photo-bug in me, but I found no individuality in any of the shots I've seen. No cute impulsive shots. They were just taking a shot to prove they went somewhere, or to possibly pacify relatives, imo.

Not only were they dressed the same and had the same hair, not a single child had a bracelet, a tie in their hair, different socks, a ring, lipgloss, a watch, ANYTHING to mark them as even slightly different. It weirded me out when I first saw the pics, even before I learned the full extent of the horror. Even in pics of Amish families the kids have marks of differentiation.

It's hard for a jury to be impartial when the prosecution has tried the case in the media and the defendants haven't.

Hard yes but look at Casey Anthony. She was the most hated woman in America at that time yet she got a fair trial and was found not guilty. Huge mistake IMO but these 2 can and will get a fair trial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. At first we were supposed to believe the 17yo--and therefore all the kids---had only had a 1st grade education.

Now we learn that the parents arranged for the oldest son to attend college, where he maintained a nearly-perfect gpa. (He wasn't taking the hardest courses in the world, but I imagine any accredited college is going to make homeschooled children who can't prove academic rigor take remedial classes to show they are college-ready.)

We learn that two of the daughters would be out of the home getting mail at the mailbox.

We learn that they participated in a Christmas decoration contest, and five of the children attended the award ceremony. It's not like they were recluses, necessarily. A recluse would not participate in neighborhood events.

They've taken kids out to Las Vegas and Disneyland, Krispy Kreme donuts, pictures by the lake.

This paints a far different picture to the one given by the DA, who made it sound like they were living in a dungeon.

I don't know what to think at this point. I do believe the children were not given adequate nutrition or medical/dental care. As I said before, we've only scratched the surface of this case, and the information we've been given so far is highly tilted in favor of the state's position.

I agree! And I believe the older ones may have ID. Jmho and the article makes the Elvis Vegas make a little more sense in timing!

According to People mag the couple brought kids to Vegas 9/2/2013 - #2 who was born 2/3/1992...was 21 yrs old. 10/31/2015 again kids went #3 would be 22. #4 would turn 21 on 11/17/15.

"Louise Turpin introduced Simon to the children who were with her at the event. One of the boys, Turpin told Simon, was in his mid-20s.
"I told him 'You look so young, you look 15,'" Simon recalled.

The young man smiled and nodded, but Louise Turpin did almost all of the talking for the family, Simon said.
Louise Turpin told Simon that she and her husband had taken their older children to Las Vegas when they turned 21. Turpin laughed about how her children were constantly asked for an ID during those trips because they look so young.
Over the years, Simon said, she would wave hello and goodbye to the family from across the road. From time to time she took them their mail, and last year, when Simon's daughter was selling Girl Scout cookies, Louise Turpin bought eight or nine boxes, Simon said." http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-turpin-public-life-20180124-story.html

The children care for each other but they have no,parenting skills. Where would they have learned them? The adult children are in no position to be parents nor should they be.

They need the freedom, time, and emotional support to deal with their own trauma.

Cleaning a house will be a new skill. Cooking, washing clothes, eating, sleeping, talking freely, so many many things to learn and experience .

Long term, perhaps the family (siblings) can be reunited, or perhaps one of the oldest have custody of the younger ones. But, getting there will understandably take some time. Many things about them are still unknown to us. Just the physical recovery looks long-term. Then there are questions about what long-term developmental impacts will be. There have been statements to suggest cognitive delays and/or damage.

I recall reading about the difficulty in post WWII evaluations of Jewish children who had spent the war in hiding. IQ tests, for instance, assess whether a child knows things typically known by children of their age. This presumes, of course, a normal level of exposure to things like language, information, interactions, etc. Using those same tests to assess the capacity of children wholly deprived doesn't come up with much meaningful information about their ability to learn. So, I am guessing that some of the (public) information about these kids is at least partially based on some professional best guesses. Possibly some of them will begin to flourish with adequate nutrition, exercise, sunshine and stimulation. Others may have missed out on critical things at critical times and be forever stunted.

I'm glad to see their progress from hospital to homes. But I suspect there are lots of steps ahead.

Lots and lots of good info on the lifelong ill affects on children who have to be parents to younger siblings, It is called parentificafion and it is an extremely negative thing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...eir-siblings-it-affects-them-for-life/543975/

I'm sure that it can be negative, but in my family my oldest son was 11 when the 2nd youngest was born and 14 when the youngest came along. He changed more diapers, did more feedings and had more interactions with those little ones than his dad did... by a long shot. He was a very shy kid and it sort of gave him a feeling of confidence and capability and the little kids absolutely loved him... and they still do as adults. Of course I was always there to do the main parenting, but he was/is sensational!

I'm wondering if the kids really did have any fun at those vow renewals. They must have been so lethargic and made to perform. They may have been terrified of making a mistake. I'm not so sure it was a fun time for them at all.

I could not be anymore disappointed that the adult children are going to assisted living. I very firmly believe that they need a parent figure who will teach them how to live in a normal family and that they are loved and supported always.

All adults need a parent! I'm in my mid 30's and still call my parents for advice on things or just for support, especially since I became a parent myself. At some point some of these adults may have their own families and need to know what normal family life is like so they can break the cycle of abuse. They are not going to get this in any sort of assisted or sheltered living type place!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

In an ideal world, every adult would have living parents. My mother died of cancer when I was 13, and my dad died of cancer when I was 37.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of an assisted living facility for the adult children. I think of the large facility just a few miles away that has independent living apartments, assisted living apartments, and skilled nursing care. There's a tennis court, a swimming pool, a mini golf course, a gym, a library, an auditorium where guest performances are presented, pool tables, a game room where daily or weekly card games take place, etc. The facility also has shuttle buses that take residents shopping or to a group activity like attending a play.

We visit relatives who live there and most of the residents are very happy and friendly people. With the adult children, I can see a senior citizen becoming close to them and being a 'grandparent' to them. Depending on the activities offered, I see an assisted living facility as a really good option at this point.........lots of learning opportunities for them.

Not only were they dressed the same and had the same hair, not a single child had a bracelet, a tie in their hair, different socks, a ring, lipgloss, a watch, ANYTHING to mark them as even slightly different. It weirded me out when I first saw the pics, even before I learned the full extent of the horror. Even in pics of Amish families the kids have marks of differentiation.

Exactly. And this is why all their names being given with a "J" bothered me so much.

I think the parents purposely were trying to keep from giving each child their own identity. Almost every picture I have seen is a group picture of them wearing the same clothes.

Kids need their identity and need to know they exist.
Grrrrrr

Hard yes but look at Casey Anthony. She was the most hated woman in America at that time yet she got a fair trial and was found not guilty. Huge mistake IMO but these 2 can and will get a fair trial.

It's the whole women dont comitt heinous crimes. And as much as I hate not having more info faster, the more forensically meticulous they can be the greater chances of successful prosecution.

Not that I said "at this time." I actually said it twice. I fully support the idea of the parents getting the stories from the children, as well as having a relationship with them in the future. In fact, I think it's necessary for everyone's healing. But I don't think it's a good idea now, not while the children are still being interviewed and investigators are still putting the story together. I wasn't the only person to make this comment, or to say something similar. I understand Rocket's frustration with putting words in people's mouths and their original meanings being twisted.

I am thinking that perhaps CPS will at some point be able to arranged for supervised visitation or communication (with the grandparents, not parents). Parameters might include not talking about anything that the parents are charged with.

Forgive this question if it seems like I'm a dimwit..but, who ever said these folks are going in to a memory care facility?? Assisted living and memory care are two totally different venues. My father was first in Assisted, and progressed into Memory Care..totally different 'wing' of the facility. One end, he could have walked himself right out of; the other..totally locked in (access codes.)

I also believe there are some steps someone needs to be taking..conservatorship, perhaps. Some type of guardianship. I'm sure this is all very complicated.. Parental rights need to be terminated. (Takes time I think.). Family may pipe in, too. His family, her family. So, for the time being these kids are safely being looked after. (At 60, they are all kids to me.)
Imo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was one of the posters who mentioned memory care. I was not saying that they are going into a memory care facility, but rather that the place I worked at (which was a memory care facility) was categorized as Assisted Living, and was supposed to be following the local requirements for an Assisted Living facility (such as we were not allowed to have mechanical lifts in the facility, even if there were people - of which we had a few, some of which were hospice - too heavy for us to lift even with two caregivers). There were no separate units for memory care. It was all memory care, but was called "assisted living." They were misrepresenting the facility completely, but the nurses would tell us not to say anything about what we were asked to do because the facility could get in trouble due to representing itself as assisted living when it wasn't. To this day, the facility I worked at starts the video on their site by saying it is an "assisted living" facility. I was just sharing my own personal experience, because assisted living varies from place to place, and people were asking what it is. I wasn't suggesting that they are going to a memory care facility, or that all assisted living is memory care.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes, great observation! There is nothing spontaneous happening in this family. With the exception of the siblings lined up on the couch in their bare feet, which I think is the only home picture, the parents are posed in every picture and video, at some other location.

That's why it dosen't feel right. There are no close ups, no intimate moments, playing, holidays, running with the dogs, none of that. Those spontaneous moments are what is missing.

I never their saw FB page before it was taken down. Perhaps someone else here saw it, remembers if there was anything other than these group shots?
I have not seen a photo where either parent is touching a child with the exception of the baby. I believe they were all taken places for photo ops so the pictures could be used to send to agents or studios in hope of becoming rich and famous. It sickens me to write that now.

I'm wondering if the kids really did have any fun at those vow renewals. They must have been so lethargic and made to perform. They may have been terrified of making a mistake. I'm not so sure it was a fun time for them at all.
Their smiles looks pained. I believe LT is a raw sociopath with many public masks who privately triggers off a broad, unpredictable range. The Survivors have the look of people who have no idea what thing they do, even a smile or lack of smile, is going to result in the next outburst of sadistic behavior from the warden LT. "Mother" is a sociopath and a sadist who enjoyed inflicting harm, confusion, and control.

But notice these were profile and cover photos. That doesn't mean they didn't take individual photos. Only public photos. And there was a profile photo of baby eating her birthday cake. Posted as profile on April 2, 2016. And Krispy Kreme wasn't group photo.

I think that it is good news that they will be out of the hospital soon. I have been looking at the model home pictures again and I finally found out what bedroom the 17 year old escaped from. It is in the still photos and is the one on the far right labeled Bedroom 5 - http://fusion.realtourvision.com/m/gallery.php?tourid=70634 . I also look and try to imagine how awful it must have been in there - 3 to maybe up to 5 people were constantly locked in these small bedrooms and just wonder how they kept their sanity.

It looks as though BR 5 was at the front of the house definitely because in the exterior view, you can see the dots on the bedspread clearly through the window. Behind BR 5 was what was called the Den. Then in the back of the house on the other side, the rest of the bedrooms were over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle