CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unrelated to this case, but similar situation: “DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — An Iowa woman convicted of murder in the starvation death of her 16-year-old daughter was given three life sentences Friday.” https://apnews.com/72d66a0520984a66875d1a885f357e88 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you posting this case with parallels. Teen girl weighed only 85 pounds, died of cardiac arrest. The mother was convicted on the murder and also 3 counts of kidnapping for locking up her 5 children and not feeding them or letting them use a bathroom. Defense tried the mental illness route, it failed.

I was thinking around their waist...none of the photos of the children and adults show any sort of visible marks or bruising on their wrists and/or arms. JMO

There's been several pictures of the children showing red rings around their wrists. There's one of the oldest daughter and you can easily see that both her wrists have red circles around them. In a still from the wedding vows renewal video, one of the boys has his arms raised and you can see the red marks on his wrists.

I suspect that when it comes to the trial, the prosecution will be showing pictures of marks or scars the children have from years of abuse.

This made me laugh - the whole curtain thing.

Screens are attached to a frame, much like the glass is attached to a frame in a window, except that these screened frames are very lightweight. Typically, they can be popped out. However, that can be noisy and they tend to drop on the ground outside if no one is there to grab it. Plus, some people screw theirs in so that kids and pets don't fall out.

They are there so we can open our windows for fresh air but still keep mosquitoes and other bugs out.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, my British husband said the same thing the first summer he lived here. :drumroll: I don't know for sure but suspect there are none in England as the time when bugs are most out is also the time when it is raining? I'd love to know. I can say some older screens are heavy mesh while newer ones are almost a cheesecloth type light fabric. Newer ones can be cut with a fingernail if you are not careful (though usually, that's if you are trying to repair one still in the window)

YED

Is it just me or does this the family have a creepy cult dynamic? Even in the pictures where the children appeared healthy there is something eerie. And the having to ask the mother to even have a friend...Total control. And the adult children still living at home...One is almost 30. Were they not allowed to leave? Did any of them try/want/were even allowed to get a job? And the dad being accused of a lewd act...I can't even imagine what that might be...Disgusted...With 10 of hos children being female...I can't think any further!

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

no mosquitoes in Scotland, we do however have Midges ......

Smaller than mosquitoes but they still bite and there are usually swarms of them :scared: as far as I know they are usually out in the open. I've not heard of anyone having a midge problem in their homes, at least not enough to merit installing screens

Canada you can have ants, midges, flies (several varieties) mosquitos, bees, wasps, moths, beetles and other things I'd rather not think about. If it can crawl or fly it can get into a window here, and the populations of them must be larger too.
Luckily in January, it's too cold for them to live.
YED

Does Disney/Disney Hotels or Las Vegas have any kind of child trafficking decals on the inside of the ladies bathroom stalls?
Call 1-800- *advertiser censored*-xxxx
Or 911 for help?
I've seen them at movie theaters and the mall.
Haven't been to Disney in 37 years. I believe I saw them at 6 flags in 1994.
MOO
ETA: what about billboards?
I'm thinking the child saw something like this and remembered it.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have never used the bathroom at Disney, so I can't answer that.
But for some reason, I seem to recall the ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) buses having ads on their buses that say something about human trafficking and a number to call.
I could be wrong, though and it's possible I saw the ads on another bus somewhere else.

Interesting that they taught the children how to potty train, walk, talk and write (based on info gleaned from Elvis wedding video and reports), yet the parents somehow never want to allow them to differentiate into individuals after about ages 7 - 11 ish. I know the eldest son was allowed to go to college and the older kids attended public school until about 7 - 11ish. They were prepared to feed, house, pay for and collect 13 + children forever? Never allowing any of their own children to date and marry like they fought so hard to do?

I remember LT's sister alleging they were molested by a family member and witnessing their mother being raped and beaten. I wonder at what ages LT and her sister were when these traumatic events occurred. possibly ages 7 - 11?

DT was 24 and she 16 when they married. They won't let their 16 or 24 year old kids watch tv - let alone meet a boy or a girl outside of the home. Such incongruence.

Re: Alarm:
My ex was an alarm installer. You know how they dial the alarm company (usually) when they are set off? Some of the more sophisticated may have a three-tier system for phoning before calling 911. IE you and spouse's work/cell phone and if no answer then police. If they are not monitored they will still be inside the house, hardwired in most cases. Still also hooked up to a cellphone or phone line unless you bother to take that apart as well.

They can also be set, with a little software rigging, to dial any number you want them to. Therefore, you could have your alarm system call your cell phone. Depending on the system, you can listen in after the alarm calls you. It could indeed serve as a silent alarm.

YED

Im still over on Thread 7, but I just wanted to address something. Maybe many others have addressed it and im repeating...but....

DT's brother expressed interest in adopting the kids. DT's brother wrote a book on fasting for many many days. He is extreme in his religious ways (IMO). What else is he extreme on? Can you even imagine if that man adopted those kids and started forcing them to FAST for 'spiritual' reasons even???!!! I hope and pray this never ever ever becomes an option for these kids!!! The horror :( :(

Back to reading. This case will forever haunt me.

(btw. my father is a retired pastor and I grew up having to fast now and then. I alway snuck food. It never lasted 12 days though. ugh)
I grew up in a religion that fasts once a month for 24 hours and donates the money they would have spent on food to the church food bank (in theory and I don't think it's "official doctrine" even though they sunday's main like.. sermon type time is actually called "fast and testimony meeting" so idk). Point is I quickly learned to claim and fake symptoms of low blood sugar so my dad would give up on me doing it because Mom would back me. I thought that was nearly torture. I'm feeling pretty darn grateful for my parents right now.

Those houses are so close together. I wonder how their next door neighbors are feeling right now.

The houses in my neighborhood are about the same distance apart. Our house is a tri-level like the one on the right in the picture. I know waaaay too much about my next door neighbors (and their 5 kids) who live in a ranch much like the house of horrors. I mean we know what our neighbors are cooking for dinner.

How could you not SMELL it?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 9D757014-BEF4-41F5-9FD7-D131F0BEFF14.jpeg
    9D757014-BEF4-41F5-9FD7-D131F0BEFF14.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 645
This article states the neighbor of the old home where they moved into a trailer on the property was because they trashed the home leaving it waist high with dirty diapers, deceased dog and cat. Is this the same person who's family member said there were 2 Chihuahua's left who were eating dirty diapers because they were so hungry? Does this mean there were 4 animals left in the old home to die and they just merrily move to a new city?

http://people.com/crime/house-of-horrors-turpin-case-unanswered-questions/

Just a personal note from experience, I don't know if it still exists. I saw that they purchased the home through an FHA loan. FHA require screens on Windows. At least they did a long time ago. Somebody else may know what is current.

Also I keep seeing again and again notes about Stockholm Syndrome. I saw an interview with Elizabeth Smart about 3 weeks ago? I can't remember where it was on. But she the vehemently denied as to Stockholm syndrome. She said it was for survival, it was not Stockholm syndrome! She was very very strongly against people calling at Stockholm Syndrome.
Just a thought re Stockholm Syndrome , the Ts are these kids bio parents. That's different than Elizabeth's case. The girl who stayed with us, had been abused from age 4 - 12 or so, but still, now in her 20s, had conflicting emotions, and missed both her parents, in an odd way, at times.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am confused about the screens. There can be metal screens which are more expensive but work well for a dry climate as they can rust.

Most homes have a type of plastic screen. These are held in place on the outside by a spline that fits into a channel. Easy to push out.

Plastic screen weakens after it has the sun beating down on it day after day.

I feel it is very easy to push screen out.

It is strange that the engineer father would not have alarm set ups. But chains and padlocks are so much more fun for sadists,
I am behind again. Grandparent stuffs. [emoji4] I think the screens are likely like ours. There's a groove, around the frame, and you cut enough screen to lie over the groove. Then you take long strips of rubber, and use a device that looks a bit like a pizza cutter, to roll the rubber, over the screen, and into the groove. You then cut away the excess. This screen is sturdy but over time will age and tear away from the vertical side. We had a sparrow fly into ours and tear it. She could have used her fist or an object to break it free, if it was older screen.

Change of venue to where? Mars? This case has gotten international attention.

There are enough charges that the DA can drop half of them in exchange for guilty pleas, and both of them would still be assured of spending the rest of their lives in prison. It wouldn't make any sense for this case to go to trial, for anybody.

Many people plead guilty and get life sentences. Their lawyers will explain to them that there is no chance of them not being convicted. So they will have nothing to lose by pleading guilty.

I agree Mars might be the only place this might not be covered, but anything is possible! But seriously, I don't know how far away they'd move something. And I know CA is a huge state. But somewhere that is suffering from their own horrific local crime with deep community impact might not be following this to the extent some of us are (Blaze Bernstein comes to mind, I hope that isn't disrespectful).

Also, respectfully, just because there is enough evidence to convict doesn't always equal a guilty plea. I don't understand the when and why but could they take an Alford Plea or plead "no contest" to admit there is enough evidence to convict but not admit guilt. Lawyer thoughts?

It just might be that LT wants to go to trial for the notoriety. She's famous, don't ya know? She just might take the stand too!

Seriously, I am now confused. Does the UK not have mosquitoes? I never paid attention to whether or not there were screens when I visited Ireland.

My husband is British (Shropshire) and I lived in Wales while I got my MA. We had screens on our dorm rooms in Wales and he grew up with screens on his windows in Wellington. I guess it's just like it is here-some places have them and some don't.

For me, how I feel about a trial depends on what the older kids prefer. It's possible to go to trial on just a few of the worst charges on a few "kids" who are willing to testify and get them locked up for life.

Do they have Lincoln hearings in CA? In New York we use them for custody cases (not sure about criminal cases), where only the child, child's lawyer, court reporter and judge are present so that's it's not so scary/intimidating for the child.

Just a thought re Stockholm Syndrome , the Ts are these kids bio parents. That's different than Elizabeth's case. The girl who stayed with us, had been abused from age 4 - 12 or so, but still, now in her 20s, had conflicting emotions, and missed both her parents, in an odd way, at times.

As a foster mom, I've seen almost every child I've ever had in my home have a fierce loyalty toward their birth parent(s), regardless of the atrocities they perpetrated against the kids - starvation, locked in dark closets, sexually abused, passed around to friends and family members, locked outside in winter storms, etc.

I have a three-year-old I've had for two years, taken away from her birth parents for many of the above reasons. She still has weekly visits with her birth parents, though they only show up about 50% of the time. Though she views me as her "mama," she would go back to her birth mom in a second if given the chance.

I hope the Turpin kids feel much differently -- all of them

It's so sad.

I am behind again. Grandparent stuffs. [emoji4] I think the screens are likely like ours. There's a groove, around the frame, and you cut enough screen to lie over the groove. Then you take long strips of rubber, and use a device that looks a bit like a pizza cutter, to roll the rubber, over the screen, and into the groove. You then cut away the excess. This screen is sturdy but over time will age and tear away from the vertical side. We had a sparrow fly into ours and tear it. She could have used her fist or an object to break it free, if it was older screen.

The screens are not older screens. The house is only a few years old.

There's been several pictures of the children showing red rings around their wrists. There's one of the oldest daughter and you can easily see that both her wrists have red circles around them. In a still from the wedding vows renewal video, one of the boys has his arms raised and you can see the red marks on his wrists.

I suspect that when it comes to the trial, the prosecution will be showing pictures of marks or scars the children have from years of abuse.

Those are the photos I have been looking at..I see nothing. Would you have a link to the stills you are referring to, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021