CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about teaching is that it is not a rote process. In order to teach math, for instance, one needs to understand the reasons . Even though I got top grades in college math because I could memorize and insert the proper formula, I did not understand the concept. For instance, I did not understand the quadiatric forumla until I saw it in three D.

Same with art. It would be impossible to teach about Kandinsky without studying him and his art. Handing a kid some lessons from a book is not teaching.

The reason dots and circles are used is because it is a developmental stage for children in their art development.

I don't think that she, nor he, was teaching "about" Kadinsky. However, there are home school, and home fun projects, on the web, about making "Kadinsky" rocks, construction projects, and drawing projects. I doubt that there are very many of the parents who do these projects, who get deep into teaching, or even scratch the surface, about Kadinsky, himself. There's also Pablo Picasso and Monet art projects but, for most, they're just art/drawing projects. I can draw a Picasso Cat but could also know nothing about Pablo Picasso.

Examples o projects:
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/723601865102585851/

I like the T-shirt idea. The media has referred to them as the "magnificent 13." What about:

#magnificent13 on the back and on the front...

Stay Strong
Living My Best Life
One Day At a Time

or something like that on the front? (One of those, not all of them.)

Something that is both applicable to the Turpin kids as well as to other kids?

I actually liked the OP's original idea in theory and without the context of this family I think there's a general market for that sentiment (From Bullied to Brilliant). Many of us were bullied in school, unfortunately, and it's not something that schools have managed to get ahead of yet.

They make me think of butterflies, newly free to show the world just how beautiful they are x

so maybe Tshirts with butterflies. Not sure what to write on them though

I don't think they habitually drew on the walls. I believe that once they bought the double wide and abandoned ship, that diagram came to be. Kind of a "so long dump".
I think it was the dad initially and maybe embellished by the kids.
Where do babies come from?
Target.

I have two rather artsy children. I don't see my determined ones, nor my artsy determined grandchild, who does have a bunk bed, as being able to stretch and draw at that height, and width, and the circles turn out that well. I think an adult, or older child, created the drawing.

This is directly from the article you linked to:
"Virginia Tech says David Turpin graduated in 1984 with a B.S. degree in Electrical and Computer engineering."

A few years ago, Scott Thompson, CEO of Yahoo, was let go because he claimed to have graduated with a Computer Science degree in a year before the college even offered a Computer Science degree. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/19/business/the-undoing-of-scott-thompson-at-yahoo-common-sense.html

Virginia Tech in the article you quote is mistaken or the newspaper that quoted Virginia Tech is mistaken. It was not until around late 1987 or so that Virginia started offering a Computer Engineering degree which is about the time that the Bradley Department of Electrical Engineering was renamed the Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Degrees from this department in 1984 were named "Electrical Engineering." Please see https://ece.vt.edu/about/endowment about how the department was renamed to include Computer Engineering in 1987. Virginia Tech's commencement program and course catalog from 1984 have no degrees in Computer Engineering in the Electrical Engineering department. Now they have two degrees in the department - EE and CPE - but they did not at the time in 1984.

If Turpin returned to Virginia Tech after the 1987 Computer Engineering degree was started or completed one recently, that is possible, but it is not possible that he graduated in 1984 with a Computer Engineering degree because that degree did not yet exist. He could have taken Computer Science courses though, but he didn't graduate from the Computer Science program and in 1984 there were no B.S. degrees in Computer Engineering.

I don't think that she, nor he, was teaching "about" Kadinsky. However, there are home school, and home fun projects, on the web, about making "Kadinsky" rocks, construction projects, and drawing projects. I doubt that there are very many of the parents who do these projects, who get deep into teaching, or even scratch the surface, about Kadinsky, himself. There's also Pablo Picasso and Monet art projects but, for most, they're just art/drawing projects. I can draw a Picasso Cat but could also know nothing about Pablo Picasso.

Examples o projects:
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/723601865102585851/

And that is exactly why the art teacher is critical.

Developmental stages cannot be taught. As a comparison, you cannot make a child walk if s/he is not ready. Children go through developmental stages in drawing as well as cognition.

Art work is a visual representation of a child’s developmental stage as well as their inner emotional life. It is represented in the symbols they use.

Artists that left the representational level such as Picasso were superb realistic drawers, but he moved onto the symbols which he seemed to have.copied from indigenous peoples.

That drawing on the wall is an internal expression. Like Picasso’s face of the woman which shows more than one side, Or Edvard Munch’s Scream. Farmmore powerful than a realistic rendering.

Art of the native people of Australia use the dot. So fascinating .

This talk about the shirts... It appears that some are thinking the shirts are for the children to wear. That isn't correct, is it? I was under the impression it would be for a fund raiser - selling the shirts to people who want to monetarily contribute to the children.

For the wish list for the siblings, I would add cameras. Now they're living in different homes I think taking pictures of the places they go and the things they experience would be good for them, and also good to share with their brothers and sisters to show each other visuals of what they've been up to.

Your 2nd circle - thats the shoulder of number 10, not the boys stomach area

JMO
I think you may be right but the extra hand and the whole area around the black circle has been photo shopped for some unexplained reason.

The large hand doesnt belong to anyone from what I can tell.

And if you look at how what is supposed to be the mothers arm around the baby I dont think that is from the same picture because it seems too far to the side.

At the very top there is shading above the childs head and not sure where the shading came from.

I believe this photo has been edited. Like others have said it may be just to make it better or something. It is very strange though.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180129/f1dadf7570cd9da14f69e301c689e7d1.jpg

(first post)
Just wanted to chime in on a few issues here. I am a parent and a grandparent and I come from a large family so the extended family is very large. I can’t even begin to imagine treating any one of them in such a horrific way.

I think there are definite signs that the abuse/neglect began way back. The fact that Fantastic #1 went to school in the same dirty clothes every day is a red flag. And several facts supplied by the sister remembering her visit around that time were also troublesome – very little family time, to begin with. The kids had to stay in their room. And the control of LT was there as well, as evidenced when the child couldn’t even eat what was on the table in front of them without first getting visible permission from LT. None of these alone is proof of anything, but the signs are there nonetheless.

As for the relatives, I can understand them wanting to take care of them. I would accept any of my family members with open arms and be there for them if they needed it. However, in this case, I don’t think that’s wise, for several reasons. To begin with, the siblings (I will call them “the siblings” or “The 13” rather than kids) need a greater degree of separation from DT/LT than immediate family can provide. They need time – a LOT of time – to heal, and some scars will never heal. That is part of what is disheartening about this – there is some damage that will be forever with them, I believe. It will take a lot of time for them to really see and believe and understand that THIS WAS NOT THEIR FAULT – not an easy road to recovery.

Apart from that, however, we know that families can sometimes push each other’s buttons. And I fear that under the surface (if not spoken outright) some extended family will resent them for breaking apart the family and besmirching the family name, and I am afraid it would come out in ways both subtle and not so subtle. Perhaps especially so against Fantastic (and Brave) #8 who brought it all to the light of day. They don’t need that.

Also I wonder if there will be ramifications or charges relating to the possibility that they registered as a home school but very little to no actual schooling was going on, at least with regard to required subjects.

Regarding the Dr. Seuss pictures, personally I don’t believe it was touched up, but I could be wrong. When you have that many people in a picture, hands, arms, elbows, etc. get thrust in every direction.

That’s enough for now, although there is so much more…

(first post)
Just wanted to chime in on a few issues here. I am a parent and a grandparent and I come from a large family so the extended family is very large. I can’t even begin to imagine treating any one of them in such a horrific way.

I think there are definite signs that the abuse/neglect began way back. The fact that Fantastic #1 went to school in the same dirty clothes every day is a red flag. And several facts supplied by the sister remembering her visit around that time were also troublesome – very little family time, to begin with. The kids had to stay in their room. And the control of LT was there as well, as evidenced when the child couldn’t even eat what was on the table in front of them without first getting visible permission from LT. None of these alone is proof of anything, but the signs are there nonetheless.

As for the relatives, I can understand them wanting to take care of them. I would accept any of my family members with open arms and be there for them if they needed it. However, in this case, I don’t think that’s wise, for several reasons. To begin with, the siblings (I will call them “the siblings” or “The 13” rather than kids) need a greater degree of separation from DT/LT than immediate family can provide. They need time – a LOT of time – to heal, and some scars will never heal. That is part of what is disheartening about this – there is some damage that will be forever with them, I believe. It will take a lot of time for them to really see and believe and understand that THIS WAS NOT THEIR FAULT – not an easy road to recovery.

Apart from that, however, we know that families can sometimes push each other’s buttons. And I fear that under the surface (if not spoken outright) some extended family will resent them for breaking apart the family and besmirching the family name, and I am afraid it would come out in ways both subtle and not so subtle. Perhaps especially so against Fantastic (and Brave) #8 who brought it all to the light of day. They don’t need that.

Also I wonder if there will be ramifications or charges relating to the possibility that they registered as a home school but very little to no actual schooling was going on, at least with regard to required subjects.

Regarding the Dr. Seuss pictures, personally I don’t believe it was touched up, but I could be wrong. When you have that many people in a picture, hands, arms, elbows, etc. get thrust in every direction.

That’s enough for now, although there is so much more…

Welcome SkipperKey3!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago, Scott Thompson, CEO of Yahoo, was let go because he claimed to have graduated with a Computer Science degree in a year before the college even offered a Computer Science degree. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/19/business/the-undoing-of-scott-thompson-at-yahoo-common-sense.html

Virginia Tech in the article you quote is mistaken or the newspaper that quoted Virginia Tech is mistaken. It was not until around late 1987 or so that Virginia started offering a Computer Engineering degree which is about the time that the Bradley Department of Electrical Engineering was renamed the Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. Degrees from this department in 1984 were named "Electrical Engineering." Please see https://ece.vt.edu/about/endowment about how the department was renamed to include Computer Engineering in 1987. Virginia Tech's commencement program and course catalog from 1984 have no degrees in Computer Engineering in the Electrical Engineering department. Now they have two degrees in the department - EE and CPE - but they did not at the time in 1984.

If Turpin returned to Virginia Tech after the 1987 Computer Engineering degree was started or completed one recently, that is possible, but it is not possible that he graduated in 1984 with a Computer Engineering degree because that degree did not yet exist. He could have taken Computer Science courses though, but he didn't graduate from the Computer Science program and in 1984 there were no B.S. degrees in Computer Engineering.
As you said he could have taken Computer Engineering courses even though his degree is EE. Then he could have worked as a CE with an EE degree especially if he started back in the 80s or 90s when there were fewer CE degrees. I believe his family have said he worked as a CE not that is what his degree is. But I could be mistaken.

If people want to give money, they should give money. There is no need for a T-shirt to donate money. There is already a way to donate money.

They make me think of butterflies, newly free to show the world just how beautiful they are x

so maybe Tshirts with butterflies. Not sure what to write on them though
The child abuse awareness ribbon is dark blue. Maybe their 13 first names on the back.

Your 2nd circle - thats the shoulder of number 10, not the boys stomach area

If you look closely on the picture, where the black circle is, the "extra" hand actually belongs to number 10. If you look closely, you will see that her arm is bent and it's actually her hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member