CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
One word of caution,

Be very careful about donating and fundraising especially on-line. The Turpin case is a case of hugely international proportions. Working to filter out the sincere from the slim-balls takes effort and planning. Don't be too quick to donate online as the wrong clicks can lead to viruses, malware, and identity theft. Make sure that you are researching the organization before giving anything!

This is a list that is constantly updated of proven charities that are legitimate and verified. If your organization is not on this list, there is likelihood that it is not legit and could be a scam:

https://www.charitywatch.org/top-rated-charities

Satch
I have to disagree that if a charity is not on the list it is most likely a scam. No. Just no. Charity watch only rates the big charities that bring in a crap ton of money, but not the thousands of LEGIT grass roots and local charities.

You can find out if a charity is legit by going to guidestar.org. If a group has their nonprofit status, they will be listed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have to disagree that if a charity is not on the list it is most likely a scam. No. Just no. Charity watch only rates the big charities that bring in a crap ton of money, but not the thousands of LEGIT grass roots and local charities.

You can find out if a charity is legit by going to guidestar.org. If a group has their nonprofit status, they will be listed.

I think you also have to pay $50 to get one year access to charity watch data [emoji848]

I don't know much about charitywatch as I'e been out o the loop for awhile, but, during my years, in the non-profit world, a good Guidestar, (and Charity Navigator), rating was coveted among legit charities.

Good to know! Thank you!

Satch

I think you also have to pay $50 to get one year access to charity watch data [emoji848]
Yeah, and they only rate those who have audited financial statements. It was going to cost the group I was with about 1/4 of their total income to have one done 15 years ago. An audited financial statement costs several thousand dollars (hundreds of thousands in some cases).

That means that the little guy in the charity world who doesn't spend that kind of money on administration costs, can't get rated. And certainly, those with either all volunteer staffs or very few paid employees can justify an expenditure like that.

I always recommend giving locally and to grassroots organizations. Just make sure they are actually nonprofit by checking guidestar.org. You can also view their tax returns there. This is the site grant makers use as well to help make their decisions because so few are on charity watch.

One word of caution,

Be very careful about donating and fundraising especially on-line. The Turpin case is a case of hugely international proportions. Working to filter out the sincere from the slim-balls takes effort and planning. Don't be too quick to donate online as the wrong clicks can lead to viruses, malware, and identity theft. Make sure that you are researching the organization before giving anything!

This is a list that is constantly updated of proven charities that are legitimate and verified. If your organization is not on this list, there is likelihood that it is not legit and could be a scam:

https://www.charitywatch.org/top-rated-charities

Satch

I believe only the trust fund set up by the hospital and donations of items to the Chamber of Commerce are legitimate. The trouble is, there has been no publicity about these since the first week that I’ve heard. So scams will probably start popping up.

Four vital points that I took away from Dr. Phil’s interview with David Begnaud are-
1. Prosecutors and police want to talk to David Turpin’s brother in case he knew about the abuse.
2. CPS has custody of the adult Turpin children as they have the mentality of children.
3. The children did not ask to see their parents.
4. When LE arrived at the Turpin house Louise could not understand why she was being questioned/detained.

CPS would not have custody of the adult siblings even if the mentality is that of children. APS would have responsibility. They were reportedly transferred to an assisted living facility, not a CPS related foster home(s).

I wonder if Louise and/or David believed in Witchcraft or spiritual rituals? Is there any religion out there sick enough that would in practice justify the abuse and torture of kids as a way to control them?

Satch

I am a practicing Wiccan and have been for 30+ years. So was my mother and grandmother. No way would our rituals call for child endangerment-that is all entertainment rubbish meant for the movies. We believe in the law of 3, that everything you do to a person comes back on you 3 times stronger. Every time a big crime like this crops up, paganism/witchcraft is always mentioned. The fact is, nature-based religions such as these are incredibly peaceful.

Our rede, in modern terminology, is: Do what you will, so long as it harms none.

The very last thing I think of in any case is witchcraft or Satanism. It is always mental illness. Always.

The very last thing I think of in any case is witchcraft or Satanism. It is always mental illness. Always.

You're right. Even if they were practicing Wiccans, you couldn't blame the religion on this. Mental illness doesn't care which god or goddess you worship-it is an equal opportunist. That's not to say, of course, that they won't try to rationalize their behavior by addressing their beliefs. When that happens, though, it is generally because they have molded a belief to fit around whatever depravity they come up with.

You're right. Even if they were practicing Wiccans, you couldn't blame the religion on this. Mental illness doesn't care which god or goddess you worship-it is an equal opportunist. That's not to say, of course, that they won't try to rationalize their behavior by addressing their beliefs. When that happens, though, it is generally because they have molded a belief to fit around whatever depravity they come up with.

BBM
Now this I think could be the issue with the Ts. I see folks do this who are otherwise not practicing any faith/religious practices. as in, "If I can justify it with a religion, I can get a pass..."

Ashley is the neighbor that talks in multiple interviews about the animal cages kept in the living room. She repeated it on the Dr. Phil show and the interview is probably on line - [FONT=&quot]“It was so nasty on the inside. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]They had trashed the brick house so bad that they couldn’t live in it. They had pulled carpet out of it. The living room area had newspapers, and animal cages and just filth. The carpet was ripped up. It was plywood that was covered in filth. There was trash everywhere, bedrooms set up like barracks with bunk beds.” You can google Turpins along with "animal cages" and multiple links come up.

These animal cages are in addition to the closets with locks.

[/FONT]

Do we know for sure the cages were for the children?
There were 2 dogs in the house as well.
The cages MAY have been for them.

IMO

Humans are the most adaptable of species. Just because kids are uneducated, or young, does not mean that they cannot problem solve. I've sat and watched my dog problem solve on how to get into a groundhog hole. Again, kids as young as 7 & 8, around here, drive farm machinery on the highway. You don't need a college degree, nor be over a certain age, to begin thinking for yourself, or learning on your own. An acquaintance's son decided at age 5 that he was going to drive. Snuck out, got into the car, put it in gear, and got it rolling. Unfortunately it was on a hill and he couldn't reach the brake. It came to rest across the street in a neighbor's yard, thankfully no one was hurt. Same, very inquisitive kid, was not even in Kindergarten but figured out, just by watching, how to navigate, and buy stuff, on the computer. His grandparents had a whopper of a bill after stuff from Amazon started showing up on their doorstep.

Funny story. When my daughter was 8, she said politely from the back seat, "Excuse me mama, I'm pretty sure that I know how to drive the car." Amused, I asked what she knew about it. I was shocked when she gave an extremely detailed summary of exactly how and when different operations were used, right down to which pedals do what and even the use of turn signals. I'm convinced that she is correct, she knows how to drive. Only from silent observation.

See how much I know, bless her heart, I thought she WAS one of the original Duggars w/the original t.v. show. Never watched the show, but feel for the kids of the apparently very odd upbringings. I've said this before, I was brought up Pentecostal but my upbringing was NOTHING like that. I wore bikinis, shorts, cut my hair, all that jazz. We were allowed to "live" life.

If she (Amy) was one of the Duggars, she'd have a J name.

Funny story. When my daughter was 8, she said politely from the back seat, "Excuse me mama, I'm pretty sure that I know how to drive the car." Amused, I asked what she knew about it. I was shocked when she gave an extremely detailed summary of exactly how and when different operations were used, right down to which pedals do what and even the use of turn signals. I'm convinced that she is correct, she knows how to drive. Only from silent observation.

If she could reach the pedals, I'd bet she could too!

If she (Amy) was one of the Duggars, she'd have a J name.

I have a hard time watching "reality" shows like those. I had no clue about the names. It just seems the families end up in such horrible circumstances, when the spotlight shines down on them, warts and all. I watched a bit of Kate and Someone plus 8, and a 3-4 episodes about that little child who was put in all those beauty contests, but I just couldn't hang.

If she could reach the pedals, I'd bet she could too!

Definitely. She's 9 now and can independently operate a full size excavator using hand controls. No need to reach pedals. She scares me, lol.
Disclaimer: An adult directly supervises this.

One thing that I wonder about is if the children's lack of freedom to hygiene caused them to have any infections. Females would be vulnerable to bladder infections and 10 are girls! Ear infections, Infantigo, skin irritations, folliculitis, fungal infections, just to name a few.

And it concerns me they haven't been to a doctor in years! Some minor infections if left untreated can become serious health concerns.

I found an article that mentions the concerns of not showering for a year.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/100069578

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members