CA - Four students injured in Los Angeles school shooting, 1 Feb 2018 *Arrest*

Why are 15yo teens still in middle school? Why are they in a class with a 12yo?

Why are 15yo teens still in middle school? Why are they in a class with a 12yo?

Middle school students would normally be ages 11 - 14, I believe. So having some 15 year olds would not be too surprising.

Also, related to 15 year olds still in middle school ("why?"), you have to look at the population and demographics of this particular school (Salvador Castro Middle School). This is an extremely troubled school, with *very* serious academic performance deficiencies at every demographic enrolled. There is a 93% poverty rate, 93% hispanic enrollment, and nearly 90% of the students substantially under performing the state average in math. The likelihood that some, or "many" students have been held back, or newly enrolled out of typical age/ grade pattern, is high-- meaning there may be a good sized population of kids older than the typical age at grade level.

This site, greatschools.org, has a statistical report card for public schools, breaking down demographics, test scores, etc.

https://www.greatschools.org/california/los-angeles/24996-Sal-Castro-Middle-School/#Test_scores

Imo, this is one of the most painful excuse laden threads for a child possessing a gun at a US school that I recall seeing.

20,000 'limited edition' flame throwers recently sold-out within a few days in the US. Not sure if they have been shipped, but they were hailed as some sort of 'must have' party favor. EM seems to be rethinking this idea.

It's not the kids.

LOS ANGELES — A 12-year-old girl accused of bringing a gun to Sal Castro Middle School, where it went off accidentally and wounded two students, is scheduled to be arraigned today.

The girl, who has not been identified because of her age, faces felony charges in juvenile court of being a minor in possession of a firearm and having a weapon on school grounds. She will be asked today to enter a plea.

An investigation has been underway to determine how the girl got the gun that she brought to school. Garcetti said on KNX that the girl’s parents are believed to be separated, and her father has allegedly denied that he owns the weapon.

Garcetti said a “strong message has to be sent out to other students” about the danger of guns and bringing them to campus, but he also said the girl in custody should be provided with counseling and emotional support.

“We have to be sure to take care of this girl,” he said.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/...hool-shooting-where-bullet-struck-2-in-class/

Los Angeles Police spokesman Josh Rubenstein said detectives are trying to figure out where the girl got the gun, which was unregistered, and why she brought it to Salvador Castro Middle School in the Westlake district. It wasn’t clear what made it fire.

The girl, who was booked on a charge of negligent discharge of a firearm after Thursday’s shooting, has retained an attorney and isn’t answering questions, Rubenstein said.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/02/02/la-school-shooting-unregistered-gun/

BBM

An unregistered firearm almost certainly not legally owned, and in the possession of someone not legally authorized to own a handgun. And the gun was potentially altered to remove a safety, or make it easier to fire (trigger job). I wonder if the serial number was also removed.

So now this 12 year old is unwilling to say who it belonged to, or where she got it, or why. IMO, because if she does, she knows one or more adults will be arrested and have criminal charges.

I wonder if this girl knows how to load this gun, and how to load the ammunition into the magazine/s? Has she shot this handgun, or any handgun, before? Was it loaded when she obtained it?

Maybe she was holding it for someone. Maybe she was supposed to give it to someone else. Maybe she had it for personal protection. Maybe she planned to use it to intimidate someone bullying her. Maybe she planned to use it to hurt someone, at school or elsewhere. Other students were quoted saying she "ditched school" a lot. Her grandmother said she was "bullied". Is she part of a gang? Does she have friends in a gang?

There's a tremendous amount of crime and gang activity in the Rampart neighborhoods around this campus. And kids don't get to choose who they are born to, or where they live.

It's easy to see what's going on here. Happens in every violent inner city neighborhood in america.

This 12 year old girl unquestionably knew it was wrong to have a loaded gun in her backpack in school. But she did it anyway. Probably the best thing in her life to happen to her will end up be being removed from this neighborhood, and the adults "responsible" for her. She has a chance at a good life, an education, and being rehabilitated-- but only if she never again goes back to that neighborhood. Hopefully, she will be incarcerated in a juvenile facility until she's at least 18. It's the best and only chance she has at life, IMO.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/...hool-shooting-where-bullet-struck-2-in-class/

BBM

An unregistered firearm almost certainly not legally owned, and in the possession of someone not legally authorized to own a handgun. And the gun was potentially altered to remove a safety, or make it easier to fire (trigger job). I wonder if the serial number was also removed.

So now this 12 year old is unwilling to say who it belonged to, or where she got it, or why. IMO, because if she does, she knows one or more adults will be arrested and have criminal charges.

I wonder if this girl knows how to load this gun, and how to load the ammunition into the magazine/s? Has she shot this handgun, or any handgun, before? Was it loaded when she obtained it?

Maybe she was holding it for someone. Maybe she was supposed to give it to someone else. Maybe she had it for personal protection. Maybe she planned to use it to intimidate someone bullying her. Maybe she planned to use it to hurt someone, at school or elsewhere. Other students were quoted saying she "ditched school" a lot. Her grandmother said she was "bullied". Is she part of a gang? Does she have friends in a gang?

There's a tremendous amount of crime and gang activity in the Rampart neighborhoods around this campus. And kids don't get to choose who they are born to, or where they live.

It's easy to see what's going on here. Happens in every violent inner city neighborhood in america.

This 12 year old girl unquestionably knew it was wrong to have a loaded gun in her backpack in school. But she did it anyway. Probably the best thing in her life to happen to her will end up be being removed from this neighborhood, and the adults "responsible" for her. She has a chance at a good life, an education, and being rehabilitated-- but only if she never again goes back to that neighborhood. Hopefully, she will be incarcerated in a juvenile facility until she's at least 18. It's the best and only chance she has at life, IMO.

BBM - actually the more truthful answer to this point is, according to the link provided -

The girl, who was booked on a charge of negligent discharge of a firearm after Thursday’s shooting, has retained an attorney and isn’t answering questions, Rubenstein said.

As far as I know, not speaking when one's attorney advises not to is what one should do - in the US and other locations.

After mulling over the misleading (imo) assumption for a few days, I realize how much I appreciate this misleading info and many other misleading points brought to WS by some posters - all of them claiming to be American and proud of it.

I learn a lot about other people. I learn that some Americans can hate. It reinforces why I should not hate. I'm able to make comparisons between American hate filled people and hate filled people from other countries. Some use the pen to hate, some use bombs. It doesn't seem to matter as far as I can see.

So thank you K_Z - your views are very enlightening to the world on how some Americans think and perceive things. It will go a long way for the future imo.

BBM

It could be hers. She's young but gang members can be 12 years old. I know crazy, huh?

It could be hers. She's young but gang members can be 12 years old. I know crazy, huh?

You might be correct. This article makes it pretty clear that despite the tightening of the very strict gun laws in Los Angeles, nothing much has really changed in these neighborhoods in 25 years. The problems are crime, poverty, and gangs. The guns showing up in the schools are the symptoms of the very serious criminal and social problems that the ADULTS in these communities have.

Perez said that 23 handguns and eight rifles were seized in and around LAUSD school campuses just in the last two years.

Keep in mind that California, and LA, have some of the STRICTEST gun laws in the country. I would bet that nearly all, if not all, of those 23 handguns were not legally owned. How many other school districts in the U.S. have had 23 handguns and 8 rifles seized in the last 2 years? Districts that are in areas that don't have a lot of crime simply don't have 23 handguns and 8 rifles seized in schools in a 2 year time span.

The legally owned guns are being "controlled" very tightly. THe criminals are not being controlled, or handled properly, at all, IMO. The ADULTS, and their illegal and criminal BEHAVIOR in these neighborhoods are the problem. That's blunt and harsh to hear, but it's the truth.

25 Years After Deadly LA School Shooting, Experts Again Asking How To Keep Students Safe
It was the same discussion happening 25 years ago, when in January of 1993, a gun in a Fairfax High School student’s backpack accidentally discharged, killing 15-year-old Demetrius Rice and wounding a classmate.

David Tokovsky was a teacher at Fairfax High when the shooting happened. Now a strategist for Associated Administrators of Los Angeles, he told CBS2 News the district should use this incident as a wake-up call.

“It seems like the board president and vice president oughta be taking this window of opportunity” to provide more resources to schools, including more officers, cameras, social media monitoring and personnel to conduct random searches, said Tokovsky.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/02/02/la-school-safety-25-years-after-deadly-shooting/

After the Sal Castro school shooting, readers ask: How does a 12-year-old get access to a gun?

Parents want more metal detectors and more searches for weapons. However:

Not everyone is of the same opinion, however. Members of United Teachers Los Angeles and Black Lives Matter met Friday with the LAUSD police union to voice their concern about random searches in schools.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/02/02/la-school-safety-25-years-after-deadly-shooting/

You might be correct. This article makes it pretty clear that despite the tightening of the very strict gun laws in Los Angeles, nothing much has really changed in these neighborhoods in 25 years. The problems are crime, poverty, and gangs. The guns showing up in the schools are the symptoms of the very serious criminal and social problems that the ADULTS in these communities have.

Keep in mind that California, and LA, have some of the STRICTEST gun laws in the country. I would bet that nearly all, if not all, of those 23 handguns were not legally owned. How many other school districts in the U.S. have had 23 handguns and 8 rifles seized in the last 2 years? Districts that are in areas that don't have a lot of crime simply don't have 23 handguns and 8 rifles seized in schools in a 2 year time span.

The legally owned guns are being "controlled" very tightly. THe criminals are not being controlled, or handled properly, at all, IMO. The ADULTS, and their illegal and criminal BEHAVIOR in these neighborhoods are the problem. That's blunt and harsh to hear, but it's the truth.

Parents want more metal detectors and more searches for weapons. However:

BBM - the article linked in relation to this claim (tightening of very strict gun laws in LA) does not say anything regarding tightening of gun laws in LA in the last 25 years. The article says -

It was the same discussion happening 25 years ago, when in January of 1993, a gun in a Fairfax High School student’s backpack accidentally discharged, killing 15-year-old Demetrius Rice and wounding a classmate.

David Tokovsky was a teacher at Fairfax High when the shooting happened. Now a strategist for Associated Administrators of Los Angeles, he told CBS2 News the district should use this incident as a wake-up call.

“It seems like the board president and vice president oughta be taking this window of opportunity” to provide more resources to schools, including more officers, cameras, social media monitoring and personnel to conduct random searches, said Tokovsky.

What I read is sfa has happened since the last incident 25 years ago in the same location.

Your opinion is one thing, the action taken is another - as far as I can read in the link provided. Who cares that California has 'some of the strictest gun laws' - what did it do for this case? The seizure of guns mentioned happened 2 years ago - again so what?

Legally owned vs unregistered? What exactly is being done about that? Nothing in your links that I can decipher.

Canada is on the brink of being out of control imo on gun possession and gun deaths - a direct link to the US having no real enforcement of gun laws. It needs to stop imo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back