CO - Gym teacher accused of assaulting student who refused to stand for Pledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just going to look up that information.

Colorado, where this offense happened, is one of the states that allows it.

I didn't realize any states still allowed it. :(

jmo

too bad teachers don't use it more often.....children might learn faster....they probably don't use it out of fear from cases like this,

it's a shame when we take power out of the hands of adults, and place it in the hands of children

Unfortunately, it is legal for a parent to strike a child in many states. And it's legal to use an object. It's just not legal to leave a mark.

Anectodal Source: I called child protection in Oregon on account of a child coming to school every day crying because his mother hit him with a belt.

I don't have time to go find a published source for ya ATM.

However, just because something is legal doesn't make it morally right or effective or acceptable or developmentally appropriate.

For every person who thinks getting hit as a child helped them become a better person there's at least that many who feel getting hit was harmful to their emotional health, psyche, etc.

As a teacher and someone with extensive experience and education in child and human development and behavior theory I'm continuously appalled at the attitude that hitting is remotely acceptable.

The teacher answered a call to action to commit violence? I thought she was on paid administrative leave pending investigation. Does anyone have a link? I don't think this is true. IMO

You have mixed up 2 different issues into 1. A dialogue on this as stated would be fruitless.

Given that the teacher, not the student, broke the rules, it doesn't really matter if her assault falls under the category of acceptable corporal punishment.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Right like aren't there rules and guidelines for when corporal punishment is allowed? Can parents opt out?

Out of curiosity, I compared the list of states that allow corporal punishment in schools (link above) with the ranking of school performance by state (link: https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-best-schools/5335/).

The number after the state name is the ranking, 1 being the best ranking school system in the nation, 51 being the worst of the 50 states plus District of Columbia. So, the closer to 51, the worse the ranking.

Alabama 44
Arizona 41
Arkansas 46
Colorado 14
Florida 21
Georgia 38
Idaho 36
Indiana 22
Kansas 15
Kentucky 27
Louisiana 51
Mississippi 47
Missouri 31
North Carolina 13
Oklahoma 18
South Carolina 35
Tennessee 42
Texas 34
Wyoming 33

Not particularly impressive.

jmo

too bad teachers don't use it more often.....children might learn faster....they probably don't use it out of fear from cases like this,

it's a shame when we take power out of the hands of adults, and place it in the hands of children
Hitting is not a teaching technique.

Right like aren't there rules and guidelines for when corporal punishment is allowed? Can parents opt out?
She wasn't allowed to punish him in any way at all for not standing, from what I understand.

I think folks are making quite a few assumptions here. As for as I know a teacher has been accused of assaulting a student. I'll wait for facts before bringing out the pitch fork and torches.

Speculation on my part for severe MI.

Parents don't necessarily wish to press charges even if assault is egregious

Woodland said that the teacher committed assault because she was influenced by the call for action.

Said teacher looks like a dangerous unstable person who must NOT teach, while being in RTC to address her serious psychiatric issue.
Teacher's behaviour is one of severe mental illness, amenable only to RTC.

Gotta link?

I’m only on page three, I’m not sure if this thread is about another child being abused, or about standing for the Pledge of Allegiance.

Hitting is not a teaching technique.

agreed...it is a control technique,

im just curious as to what you would suggest doing if a child in a school misbehaves?.....won't do what he/her is told, talks back to a teacher, swears at a teacher, throws food at a teacher, runs out of class, runs out of the school, throws desks and chairs around the classroom, etc etc.....what is your suggestion if a teacher can not touch a child?.....i have seen all of the above happen first hand....so what would you do?

Given that the teacher, not the student, broke the rules, it doesn't really matter if her assault falls under the category of acceptable corporal punishment.

We don't know who broke the rules. Like I said before we don't know how the teenager was behaving. Was he being disruptive? Disrespectful?

We don't know who broke the rules. Like I said before we don't know how the teenager was behaving. Was he being disruptive? Disrespectful?

Actually, it's clear cut that teacher broke the rules.

agreed...it is a control technique,

im just curious as to what you would suggest doing if a child in a school misbehaves?.....won't do what he/her is told, talks back to a teacher, swears at a teacher, throws food at a teacher, runs out of class, runs out of the school, throws desks and chairs around the classroom, etc etc.....what is your suggestion if a teacher can not touch a child?.....i have seen all of the above happen first hand....so what would you do?
Calling the 911 is an option. <modsnip>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member