CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all fired up about this. Worrying about sentencing is closing the barn door after the cows have run out. Well, put Amonet. Too bad they can't get really creative because no amount of jail time can give back to the kids what they've lost. Let DT keep his lucrative position if he still has it and mandate LT work to provide the needed funds to care for the precious souls that they brought into this world. No contact, of course. Keep 'em both on electronic ankle monitor for the rest of their lives. Sentence them to financially provide for their offspring, keeping a modest home & working until the day they die. Not the American justice system. Probably not any system. But, I'm frustrated.

ETA just rereading and totally misquoted barn door analogy, my apologies Amonet

The organizing of videos could show that. Is it a stereotype that people with autism like things organized and predictable? It seems the chaos of the interior would not be pleasant emotionally if that is the case

I have wondered about the chaos inside. I saw a pic of the defense atty, trotting right in there, and out ,with not even a pair of gloves or some type of mask. I saw photos of LE going in to get items and no protective covering, not even gloves. I'm wondering if the house may have been in a bit better condition, elsewhere, but the filth was confined to the children's rooms b/c they were locked in them so much, w/o a bathroom area.

I'm funny about stuff like that. I'd had to have had on gloves, disposable coveralls, and a mask, at the very least. I'm okay with cleaning up after animals, but human wast is a whole different thang. Had no option but to help clean out a just nasty home, that had had no water, or lights, for at least a couple months, and I'd have to run out and take gag breaks. If it was anything like the place that I helped with, I don't see how they just strolled in and out like that. Then again, maybe others aren't bothered with human waste, and the odors, and such, or have just gotten used to it over the years. Obviously the T's had adapted to it.

I'm all fired up about this. Worrying about sentencing is closing the barn door after the cows have run out. Well, put Amonet. Too bad they can't get really creative because no amount of jail time can give back to the kids what they've lost. Let DT keep his lucrative position if he still has it and mandate LT work to provide the needed funds to care for the precious souls that they brought into this world. No contact, of course. Keep 'em both on electronic ankle monitor for the rest of their lives. Sentence them to financially provide for their offspring, keeping a modest home & working until the day they die. Not the American justice system. Probably not any system. But, I'm frustrated.

The problem is he is a molester and she may go along with it if what the sister said is true about the shower watching,

They could be a couple like the ones that kidnapped Jaycee Dugarrd. They may need someone to torture, So I feel they have to be locked up

I have wondered about the chaos inside. I saw a pic of the defense atty, trotting right in there, and out ,with not even a pair of gloves or some type of mask. I saw photos of LE going in to get items and no protective covering, not even gloves. I'm wondering if the house may have been in a bit better condition, elsewhere, but the filth was confined to the children's rooms b/c they were locked in them so much, w/o a bathroom area.

I'm funny about stuff like that. I'd had to have had on gloves, disposable coveralls, and a mask, at the very least. I'm okay with cleaning up after animals, but human wast is a whole different thang. Had no option but to help clean out a just nasty home, that had had no water, or lights, for at least a couple months, and I'd have to run out and take gag breaks. If it was anything like the place that I helped with, I don't see how they just strolled in and out like that. Then again, maybe others aren't bothered with human waste, and the odors, and such, or have just gotten used to it over the years. Obviously the T's had adapted to it.

I do not understand the cleaning, The fire department can burn it down. Who could even live in such a place after. Ugh

The organizing of videos could show that. Is it a stereotype that people with autism like things organized and predictable? It seems the chaos of the interior would not be pleasant emotionally if that is the case

No, probably not, but some people are able to block such things out.
It can´t have been pleasant for any of them living in squalor, including the parents.
They just couldn´t cope. Depression? Nobody LIKES dirt and foul odours!

The problem is he is a molester and she may go along with it if what the sister said is true about the shower watching,

They could be a couple like the ones that kidnapped Jaycee Dugarrd. They may need someone to torture, So I feel they have to be locked up

Thank you. It is too easy for me to forget elements of the case as I pontificate. First and foremost I want first rate help for the kids available to them for the rest of their lives. I want that for all survivors of abuse.

Regarding the school- do you suppose their plan was to have printed high school diplomas for each child? would
that suffice to get the oldest boy into comm. college?

Apparently he did OK in Community College. Got a lot of A-s.
He must have learned SOMETHING at home, at least some basic skills.

Thank you. It is too easy for me to forget elements of the case as I pontificate. First and foremost I want first rate help for the kids available to them for the rest of their lives. I want that for all survivors of abuse.

It was a good idea with them having to work and provide.

I want them to have tons of money to get the best care possible.

No, probably not, but some people are able to block such things out.
It can´t have been pleasant for any of them living in squalor, including the parents.
They just couldn´t cope. Depression? Nobody LIKES dirt and foul odours!

There are so many cases of people living in piles of human and animal feces. So how does that work?

I do not understand the cleaning, The fire department can burn it down. Who could even live in such a place after. Ugh

It was a decent little place. After it was cleaned out, it was structurally sound, so, some Clorox, a fresh coat of paint, some new linoleum, and carpet, and it was fine. The waste was due to their water being cut off so mostly contained to the bathroom. They'd gotten on drugs and couldn't pay their bills and didn't want to tell anyone. But a lot of folks around here without a large income need little affordable places. It was a lot better after we cleaned up, than some places listed for rent, as ready-to- move-in, when the kids were looking for rentals.

There are so many cases of people living in piles of human and animal feces. So how does that work?

No idea. They get used to it.

At some point the Turpins had some kind of trailer put on their property and allegedly moved there because of all the dirt in the house.
That indicates they did not thrive in it, but could not muster the energy to clean up the house.

When I was 17 and pregnant we were renting a basement apartment in a triplex. Our middle floor neighbour was so kind to us. She would feed me. Cry with me when I felt alone. She was really cool. But then I would hear her son crying a lot. And moms reaction was horrible. It kept going on and I felt like he was being hit as well. I did make a call to CPS. I have no clue what happened afterwards as we moved to a new place a few months later.
I always wonder how she and her son are. Jmo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder. Remember the friend in Texas said they couldn't go in past the kitchen. And there was the neighbor in Perris who sold them Girl Scout Cookies. I think it is a possibility that they kept (or more likely, they made the siblings keep) the front room clean so that nobody who came to the door would know any better. Remember, LT wouldn't open the door all the way. I'd be willing to bet that the same might hold true to a certain degree for the great room, so that DT and LT could watch TV in relative comfort.

No idea. They get used to it.

At some point the Turpins had some kind of trailer put on their property and allegedly moved there because of all the dirt in the house.
That indicates they did not thrive in it, but could not muster the energy to clean up the house.

Maybe they could not walk through it

Here's an article exploring education law across various states and the potential to prevent or enable abusive situations like the Turpins.

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-j...d-weak-homeschooling-rules-helped-them-do-it/

I am enraged when I read that. No standards. Too intrusive. Yet public schools and teachers are held to standards. Examinations.

It reeks of children as possessions. Don’t tell me what to do with the slaves I bought and paid for.

And the puppy mills, I mean children mills, will go unregulated. No standards. What for. They are only children

Maybe they could not walk through it

I found this article interesting, squalor, and hoarding, seem to be two different animals.

It tested 69 people living in squalor and found almost all the participants had frontal executive dysfunction. Brain damage, in other words, through dementia, head injury, alcohol abuse, stroke and other causes.

The Melbourne researchers believe people's indifference to their living conditions stems from that damage to the frontal part of the brain, which controls planning, self-control, social interaction, judgment, problem solving and, crucially, insight.

However, unlike squalor, hoarding is a distinct mental disorder that should not be addressed with forced measures. Hoarding is thought to have its roots in genetic factors and past loss, grief and trauma. These issues need to be addressed before any clean-up takes place.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/a...squalor-and-brain-damage-20160114-gm5mig.html

Exactly.
I don't believe any homeschooling was done.
The oldest attended school from K-grade 3 and IMO, had no more schooling after that.
The "graduation" photo is just that-a photo.
A photo to keep up appearances.

This article looks kinda generically at what leads parents to abuse/neglect children in the way that the Turpin children were. http://time.com/5109959/turpin-parents-children-torture/

The experts that they quote tend to look at two categorical situations. One has to do with drug/alcohol abuse, which does not appear to be the case for this family. The other has to do with mental/emotional impairments (for lack of a better term) that relate to either delusion or paranoia (or I suppose both). Without offering excuses, I think it is helpful to look through different lenses in order to understand the internal logic of what was going on. Just as each of the victims had point of view or logic that prevented them from simply walking out or calling on authorities or neighbors for rescue, so the parents must also have been operating based on some internal logic. If one's delusional belief system suggests that great wisdom comes to those having large families under their control (just making this up for the sake of illustration), then one might zealously pursue that situation way beyond the point at which normal folks would recognize that things had gone too far. Similarly if one carried a great fear of one's children one day being able to overpower their parents and do dire things, then one might go way beyond normal kinds of behavior restraints, discipline and teaching in search of being able to feel safe.

All of this for me is just prelude to being able to fit in these pictures of family outings and graduations, birthdays and the like. While we suppose the parents to be monsters getting some kind of thrill from isolating, restraining and torturing their children, it is my guess that within their internal logic (and perhaps even some or all of the children) they were simply responding to what they saw as real dangers. This is what paranoia and delusion do. I would imagine that their "condition" also escalated over time so that the oldest children likely received a greater attempt at education--including a celebration of graduating. It would also appear as though Mom (I'm guessing Mom) got some kind of joy/thrill from dressing her flock up and parading them around some places that she apparently liked to visit. This was possibly even an obsession, and it must have required not only a big cash outlay at regular intervals, but also planning, purchasing all those matching outfits, scheduling the Vegas chapel and so forth. In short, I don't think it was about providing cover for the rest of what was going on. I think it was part of her whole head game.

I am enraged when I read that. No standards. Too intrusive. Yet public schools and teachers are held to standards. Examinations.

It reeks of children as possessions. Don’t tell me what to do with the slaves I bought and paid for.

And the puppy mills, I mean children mills, will go unregulated. No standards. What for. They are only children

A quote by Henri Lacordaire (catholic priest, preacher and liberal political activist, a unusual combination even by French standards) seems to apply:

"Between the strong and the weak, between the rich and the poor, between the lord and the slave, it is freedom which oppresses and the law which sets free."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam