GUILTY CA - Alycia Mesiti, 14, Ceres, 14 Aug 2006

rest peacefully Alycia

attachment.php

Attachments

• Alycia Mesiti.jpg
    Alycia Mesiti.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 166
RIP Alycia. You and your brother deserved better. Your murderer will never again leave prison unless it is in a body bag.

The system failed these kids and their mother. I hope reforms are enacted as a result of this tragedy. The mother may not have been for but clearly the father was worse.

after all that, he admitted it all.

I was surprised he ended up pleading guilty.

However, I understand why the prosecutor has reservations about his guilty plea.

http://www.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article179317046.html

The prosecutor said it’s unclear to her why Mesiti decided to plead guilty in the middle of the trial. Rees said the case won’t be over for her until the defendant is formally sentenced next month.

“Given the history of this case, I am very suspect of the defendant’s sudden decision to enter a plea with no offer from the (prosecution) after eight years,” Rees said after Tuesday’s hearing. “I am reserving closing the books on this prosecution until the defendant is sentenced. The defendant is a highly manipulative, evil man.”

No surprise here:

Dad who admitted to sexually abusing, killing daughter wants to withdraw guilty plea

http://www.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article181600641.html

After Mesiti pleaded guilty and a Nov. 28 sentencing hearing was scheduled, Chief Deputy District Attorney Annette Rees was skeptical of his sudden offer to plead guilty. Rees, who prosecuted the case through several years of delays, has called the defendant a “highly manipulative, evil man.”

“While not surprised that the defendant would attempt to delay justice and his sentencing, my thoughts are with the victims and their families, who must continue to endure this defendant’s tactics,” Rees said Sunday.

The prosecutor said she was informed Friday that Mesiti intends on hiring a new attorney who will file a motion to withdraw his guilty plea and seek a new trial. Rees said both sides are set to appear in court Thursday to schedule a hearing on the matter.

Honestly, I think he enjoyed reading his allocution and got off on seeing the pix again. He's a disgusting excuse for a human. Sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judge denies Mesiti’s request for new attorney; effort to withdraw guilty plea continues

http://www.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article182300371.html

A Stanislaus County judge on Thursday denied Mark Edward Mesiti’s request for a new attorney to help him withdraw his guilty plea in the death of his daughter, Alycia Mesiti.

But Mesiti’s effort to seek a new trial isn’t over yet. The defendant wants defense attorney Steven O’Connor to replace his court-appointed attorney, Martin Baker, who represented Mesiti in his trial.

Mesiti’s sentencing hearing remains scheduled for Nov. 28, when the victims’ families will have an opportunity to speak in court before the defendant is formally sentenced. Reeves said Baker remains Mesiti’s attorney, and Baker should continue to prepare for the sentencing hearing.

http://www.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article183657486.html

Mark Edward Mesiti got the new attorney he wanted, but a Stanislaus County judge on Thursday refused to postpone his Nov. 28 sentencing hearing for drugging, sexually abusing and killing his teenage daughter, Alycia Mesiti.

O’Connor argued that he needs more time to organize and review the large amount of evidence in the case before filing a motion to withdraw Mesiti’s guilty plea.

Superior Court Judge Dawna Reeves said O’Connor has been involved with Mesiti’s case since Oct. 27, so the attorney has had plenty of time to prepare a motion to withdraw Mesiti’s guilty plea before the Nov. 28 sentencing. The judge said Thursday that O’Connor had not provided any legal grounds to postpone the sentencing.

‘A 30-year horror story.’ Family of girl killed in Ceres describe life with her father

Roberta Allen said she knew it all along, but she was “dismissed and demeaned.”

Soon after her daughter, Alycia Mesiti, went missing in August 2006, Allen said she told police Mark Edward Mesiti was responsible for her disappearance. Alycia and her brother had been living with their father, Mark Mesiti, in his Ceres home.

In that same home three years after Alycia disappeared, the 14-year-old girl’s body was found buried in the back yard. Mesiti had already moved away. He was arrested in Los Angeles and later charged with murder and sexual abuse in his daughter’s death.

Allen said her former husband is good at preying on weaknesses while winning support from the community to commit his heinous crimes. She said Mesiti created a way of living that involved constant abuse that always had her on high alert; and she still wakes up angry or crying thinking about what he did to her and her child.

“I have been plagued by Mark for 30 years,” Allen said Tuesday afternoon in a Stanislaus County courtroom. “He could’ve been stopped before Alycia’s death.”

Alycia’s great-aunt, Roberta Fitzpatrick, attended nearly every hearing in the murder case. She spoke Tuesday and plans on being there for January’s hearing. She said her sadness is deeper than any other grief she has felt, even more than 11 years after Alycia disappeared.

“Every thought of the hell-hole Alycia was forced to endure and the atrocities that Mark Mesiti committed against her make me continually heart-sick,” she told the judge. “Mark Mesiti has continued to manipulate the legal system to keep a stranglehold on the life of Alycia’s mother and on the lives of everyone who loves Alycia and mourns her death.”

She urged the judge to order Mesiti to spend the rest of his life in prison, like what he agreed to in his plea deal. She said Mesiti should never have another opportunity to violate and murder another child or woman.

http://www.worldnews.easybranches.com/crime/violent/a-30-year-horror-story-family-of-girl-killed-in-ceres-describe-life-with-her-father-480831

The girl’s family had an opportunity to speak in court about the impact of her death. Mesiti on Oct. 17 pleaded guilty to more than 40 criminal charges stemming from his daughter’s death. His plea deal would result in a sentence of life in prison without parole. Prosecutors had been seeking the death penalty.

But Mesiti changed his mind a few weeks later. He now wants to withdraw his guilty plea to get a new trial.

On Tuesday morning, Superior Court Judge Dawna Reeves granted a request from Steven O’Connor, Mesiti’s recently hired attorney, to postpone the defendant’s sentencing.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Annette Rees didn’t object to the defense attorney’s request; the sentencing was rescheduled on Jan. 18. But the prosecutor insisted that Alycia’s maternal relatives be allowed to speak in court on Tuesday.

Mesiti Seeks New Trial

http://www.cerescourier.com/section/11/article/9808/

Mesiti was to be sentenced on Nov. 28, but he recanted his admission of guilt. Mesiti successfully petitioned the court to remove Baker as his court-appointed counsel, claiming he was rendered ineffective representation. Mesiti's new attorney, Steven O'Connor, claims Mesiti only agreed to the plea because "it was a horrible situation" with Baker's defense and because Mesiti was assured it was a "free trial" which would be appealed and likely overturned by a higher court.

In the Stanislaus County Superior Court room of Judge Dawna Frenchie Reeves on Thursday, O'Connor attempted to paint Baker as a disengaged attorney who offered an inadequate defense because he had his mind made up that Mesiti was guilty on all counts. If Mesiti is to be granted a new trial the judge must agree that Baker's skills as a defense attorney were inadequate.

O'Connor got personal with Baker, labeling his casual dress as "hobo," and delivered a serious of insulting questions. Baker was asked if he played video games during coyrt recess, if he regularly uses cannabis, if he has a personal fascination with killers, and if he had has been diagnosed with mental illness. More than once, O'Connor questioned if Baker was resting his chin in his hand as a "classic gesture of evasion." Reeves frequently chastised O'Connor for posing argumentative questions, for raising his voice and for not allowing Baker to finish. The judge also stopped Baker when he delivered sarcastic replies, saying it was "not helpful."

Arguments in the O'Connor's motion wrapped up on Monday. Judge Reeves will issue her decision on Feb. 2.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article198188779.html

A Stanislaus County judge on Friday ordered Mark Edward Mesiti to spend the rest of his life in prison for sexually abusing and killing his teenage daughter before burying her body in the backyard of his Ceres home.

In her ruling Friday, Judge Reeves said Mesiti presented no evidence to support his claims that he suffered from duress, coercion or fraud that affected his free will to plead guilty. She called Mesiti’s decision to plead guilty “strategically calculated.”

Reeves overruled O’Connor’s objections and proceeded with the sentencing. The judge on Friday allowed two more victim impacts statements from people who could not attend*hearing in late November.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.modbee.com/news/local/crime/article198188779.html

A Stanislaus County judge on Friday ordered Mark Edward Mesiti to spend the rest of his life in prison for sexually abusing and killing his teenage daughter before burying her body in the backyard of his Ceres home.

In her ruling Friday, Judge Reeves said Mesiti presented no evidence to support his claims that he suffered from duress, coercion or fraud that affected his free will to plead guilty. She called Mesiti’s decision to plead guilty “strategically calculated.”

Reeves overruled O’Connor’s objections and proceeded with the sentencing. The judge on Friday allowed two more victim impacts statements from people who could not attend*hearing in late November.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Thank you Judge Reeves for ending this 's repeated attempts to avoid justice. It's deplorable that idiots like him can try and delay and delay and delay justice for the heinous crimes that they have committed

Mesiti off to Prison for Life

http://www.cerescourier.com/section/11/article/9842/

"Most disturbing to know, as an aggravating factor," said Judge Reeves, "is the fact that the defendant continued to prey upon children even after he literally molested his own daughter to death. He wrapped her in a plastic bag or baggie, left her to rot in his backyard ..."

"Even after completing the horrendous act he continued to right on preying on children in the same manner that took the life of his daughter. This demonstrates the level of depravity and callousness and the lack of remorse that is shocking to the conscience. No child within the defendant's reach is safe at any time. The court found no mitigating factors."

Judge Reeves allowed Alycia's sister, Elena Velazquez to read a victim's impact statement.

"In so little time of being a child, Mark Mesiti ruined my life," said Velazquez, who was eight when her sister died. "Everything was not hidden from me. I knew, I could feel that Mark was a bad man and when my sister was missing, my world fell apart and when she was found it opened up a whole other world - neither world that I never would have been exposed if the justice system had helped us."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back