Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

Tim Bosma and his wife Sharlene were married on February 13 2010. Tomorrow is February 13.
cache.php
:(
And today would have been Laura's 29th birthday. :(

So today's the day. Good to see everyone here again one more time :)

So I have no doubt that today will go exactly how we all expect it to, consecutive life sentences for both these guys. I see absolutely no redeeming qualities in either of them and nothing that would give me any hope they could ever be rehabilitated. Millard and Smich are two of the coldest, uncaring individuals that I have ever come across. They seem to have no remorse, and Millard at least, seems to take pleasure in causing even more pain for the families of his victims. So unless one of them stands up in court and admits to absolutely everything and apologizes to the families of their victims (won't happen), I think the judge has no reason not to impose the absolute maximum penalty possible on both these guys.

Happy birthday, Laura.

May you rest in peace.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Today's the day!

I wonder if DM will be in court after he asked not to be present for sentencing. Hoping that he didn't file the petition for that and has to hear what the court has to say in person. Also hoping for consecutive sentencing. These two never deserve to see the light of day again.

I didn't put two and two together until I read your post. There is NO WAY DM should not have to be present for victim impact statements. That's a slap in the face for the Babcock family.

We're now inside the courtroom. Millard and Smich are sitting in the prisoner's box. Millard is wearing a white shirt and has his hair cut a little shorter -- but with the same long braid behind one ear. Smich has his hair slicked back and is wearing black.
by Adam Carter 9:58 AM

It's a good thing we're in a larger courtroom this time around, as it's very full. We're just waiting for Justice Michael Code right now.
by Adam Carter 10:02 AM

Code is now in the courtroom, we're now underway. His voice is pretty hoarse -- says he's "suffering the tail end of a cold."
by Adam Carter 10:07 AM

Code now talking about victim impact statements. It appears that one written by Babcock's former boyfriend Shawn Lerner has been ruled inadmissible because it was considered "improper."
by Adam Carter 10:09 AM
How sad for Shawn. :(

Code is now dealing with some "housekeeping" -- getting records and things entered into the record properly.
by Adam Carter 10:12 AM

I'm at the courthouse. Was 10th in line. Huge crowd. Dozens of family members (maybe as many as 50?), including a big showing by the Bosma crew. With the media admitted, there was space for six members of the public. Waiting on a break now, hoping to get in. ☹️

@AnnB03
1m1 minute ago
More
Smich's materials -- factum and large number of letters -- being marked as exhibit. Dungey says Jennifer Trehearne was ill and on maternity leave. Not here today, but feeling better.

@AnnB03
4m4 minutes ago
More
Judge is scanning some documents from Pillay he apparently has not seen before as we wait

@AnnB03
7m7 minutes ago
More
On behalf of Millard, three sentencing records, being marked as exhibits

@AnnB03
8m8 minutes ago
More
Notices of Constitutional Question from defence now being marked as next exhibits after letter and Crown documents

@AnnB03
9m9 minutes ago
More
There's a three volume crown record. Lerner's statement being removed.

@AnnB03
10m10 minutes ago
More
Victim impact statements were filed earlier. Shawn Lerner's statement has been deemed inadmissible, being removed

@AnnB03
11m11 minutes ago
More
Letter will be marked as an exhibit. Was sent to all counsel. "Nothing came of it, not surprisingly," says Cameron, but we don't know anything more for now

@AnnB03
12m12 minutes ago
More
Justice Code just entered carrying a heavy law tome, looked like he was limping up steps to his chair. Says he has a cold. Says he got letter shortly after Verdict, December 20th -- "curious letter"

‏

@AnnB03
15m15 minutes ago
More
Smich looks very glum. Millard has looked over at a few reporters but not at the families of his victims

@AnnB03
16m16 minutes ago
More
Dungey and Pillay are chatting. As are Crowns Lockhart and Doherty with Det. Mike Carbone

@AnnB03
17m17 minutes ago
More
Jill Cameron talking to Babcock family, who seem in good spirits. Today is Laura's birthday

BBM

I'm at the courthouse. Was 10th in line. Huge crowd. Dozens of family members (maybe as many as 50?), including a big showing by the Bosma crew. With the media admitted, there was space for six members of the public. Waiting on a break now, hoping to get in. ☹️

I was hoping the Bosmas would have been there. I should have instinctively known they would be to support the Babcocks.

Code is now in the courtroom, we're now underway. His voice is pretty hoarse -- says he's "suffering the tail end of a cold."
by Adam Carter 10:07 AM

Code now talking about victim impact statements. It appears that one written by Babcock's former boyfriend Shawn Lerner has been ruled inadmissible because it was considered "improper."
by Adam Carter 10:09 AM
How sad for Shawn. :(
I bet poor Shawn had some choice words for the two of them. What a shame.

That's crazy. His statement isn't going to impact the jury. He should be allowed to say whatever he wants about these *******s. And likely an opinion on the police investigation too.

Crown Jill Cameron is now starting with victim impact statements.
by Adam Carter 10:21 AM

The first statement comes from Babcock's parents Clayton and Linda, and her brother, Brent.
by Adam Carter 10:22 AM

"Today we should be celebrating Laura's birthday with a special cake and gifts ... instead we are here, a sad and heartbroken family."
by Adam Carter 10:24 AM

"Now, we will never see Laura again ... she was prepared to take on the world, she had so many dreams to fulfill," the letter reads.
by Adam Carter 10:25 AM

"To have her murdered in such a cold, calculated way, is beyond rational thought," the letter reads. The Babcocks say they are on medication for depression, and are dealing with many sleepless nights. "We long to see Laura Smile and hear her voice."
by Adam Carter 10:26 AM

"If Tim Bosma had not been cruelly and senselessly murdered, we'd probably still be agonizing over what happened to Laura," the letter reads. The family says they teached their family not to use the word hate. "Unfortunately, you men have made us hate."
by Adam Carter 10:28 AMReplies

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back