Found Deceased OR - Martin Nance, 49, Portland, 6 Jan 2018

I live near Sellwood and the bridge gets constant traffic. IMO someone would have spotted him on it, especially if he was trying to climb over it. And not the best bridge to climb over as the wall is high and it's not that far above the Willamette.

I need to know if he was facing deployment.

So far we don't know if Martin was scheduled to work for Lyft on Jan. 6 perhaps he was suppose to pick-up a customer in that neighborhood but customer cancelled or foul play was involved.

So far we don't know if Martin was scheduled to work for Lyft on Jan. 6 perhaps he was suppose to pick-up a customer in that neighborhood but customer cancelled or foul play was involved.

Martin’s sister, Lisa Nance Veber, posted on her personal FB page on January 10th Martin hadn’t driven for Lyft since the Thursday before (two days before he went missing).

I know family members’ FB pages are off-limits, but since she has been quoted by MSM (one of the articles linked below), I hope it’s OK to post this.

http://www.kgw.com/mobile/article/n...l-guardsman-in-clackamas-county/283-507229388

Martin has been missing for a month now, and from what I see on his Find FB page (here: https://m.facebook.com/Help-Find-Marty-Nance-1736771349700241/), LE doesn’t seem to be interested in finding in him at all.

I am particularly concerned that he isn’t even listed in NamUS ....

We don't know much about Martin's personal/social life. Does he have a ex-wife, girl friend, is he a member of any military or civic organizations. Every bit of information is critical.

I viewed Martin's FB page today but nothing new to report except his sister is working with someone to open his phone (Android 7 operating system) but no success and still trying to access his bank records.

Martin's sister has been very proactive in seeking clues to his disappearance but no success.

I wish she could give more personal information about Martin which could provide more clues into his disappearance.

Good overview of Martin's case, and a good interview with his sister. Lisa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egwEmx86fNs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPydrO9-Ku4

Yes, I've been waiting for this since I noticed that Martin's sister mentioned she was going to talk to John Lordan on the FB page. If anyone doesn't know John's videos on missing people his "BrainScratch Searchlight" series is really worth watching and he treats the people and their families in a respectful manner and really tries to help them.

There's more information on what Marty was doing in the last couple of days before he went missing, but I think his sister is right in sensing that there was clearly something going on in his life that most of his friends/family are not aware of yet. He's a pretty private person and she said unlikely to ask for help if he was having difficulties, but to try and sort things out on his own.

I get the feeling he was in a transitional stage of his life and perhaps not sure of his direction (had sold his house, left his regular job, just renting a room in a friends' house). That sort of gives me hope that maybe Martin wanted some thinking time on his own, but as Lisa said, I don't think he was the sort of person who would have put his family through this sort of worry for so long. So I'm left concerned that perhaps he was feeling disconnected and depressed, men in particular often struggle on their own with this and there can be few outside signs.

Or, that there is some sort of foul play involved. Maybe a relationship that wasn't yet known about to his usual circle, or something completely random. Financial information would really help his sister, was Marty withdrawing cash, buying anything different, spending in an unusual location but this requires a subpoena. Seems to me we need some kind of procedure where we could nominate a friend or relative to our bank to allow them access to this info, in the event of us going missing for so many days or weeks.
Hope Lisa's interview shakes some more info loose and Marty can be found very soon.

I definitely agree with you on John Lordan, he does a considerate and balance job on these cases. I think Martin may have had some aspect of his life he didn't let his family know about. I think his getting the hotel room, which seems out of the ordinary for him, is an important key. I hope his sister can get access to his records.

Bump. Sad but very determined post from Lisa, Marty's sister on his FB missing page. The phone is proving difficult to get into as it is quite a new model. Someone has checked Marty's laptop and says it has shown that he didn't use it for much, mainly banking.
Like Lisa, I find it hard to believe that he would put his family and friends through this much worry. Although it is very common for severely depressed people to believe that they don't matter to anyone else and that everyone will be better off without them. The length of time without any contact or confirmed sightings is now very worrying. Hope the phone eventually yields some information, but I think if it was me I would perhaps be also concentrating on physical searches, sadly.

I think Martin had some type of mental breakdown and walked away from his life. I don't want think he committed suicide, I think his body would have been found by now unless its in a body of water.

I would like to see more information in regards to his sighting at the motel. Were there surveillance videos overlooking the parking lot which might have seen Martin driving to and from the motel and was anybody with him.

What were the details of the hotel? I vaguely remember his sister talking about it. Was it near his residence? How many days? Maybe needing some time to think things through??

My gut is telling me that he will turn up in the Willamette at some point. I really hope I'm wrong..

Agreed on the searches myself.
Statistically people who come up missing from an intentional stand point will leave behind a personal item (Phones etc). often leave a car in a place that matters to them in some way and most often those that commit suicide will also be found in an area like parks, lakes, and wooded areas. As has been the case on a few cases I have worked. I hope for all involved this is not the case.

New article with bits of new info.:

“The family realized Marty was missing on Jan. 6 when he didn't show up for a National Guard drill, something he'd been talking about with his family over Christmas. He hadn't missed a drill in 32 years with the National Guard.

His car was found parked not far from his home and a bar he often visited. His cell phone was on the floor.

’I was able to get some phone records for them, I just wasn't able to get into the phone,’ Marty's sister, Lisa Veber, said.

Veber and Ancil believe getting access to the phone could provide another set of clues to find out what happened to Marty, but they've run into a roadblock with that technology.

‘In order to get in the cellphone and get more of is records, you have to get the subpoena, and because you don't have proof of foul play, you can't go before a judge,’ Veber said.”

http://www.koin.com/news/missing-pe...?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KOIN_6

Also, at the end of the accompanying video, the reporter says just days before he vanished, Marty told family members he was really looking forward to deploying with his unit.

He has been missing for nearly two months. Can’t LE get a subpoena at this point, even without proof of foul play? And there have been no organized searches by them; it just seems like they really aren’t trying very hard. What can we do to help?

At least, Marty has been entered into NAMUS: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/42148/0/

It's good to see a media report on this case 2 months along, I wish more media would just do short reports like this on this and other cases every now and then to refresh the public's minds. Huge amount of strain being suffered by this family. I feel sure that Marty would not have wanted this to happen, so either he is missing against his will, or has had a major mental health crisis and his mind wasn't capable of thinking of others.

Just with the information available at the moment it is sadly, to me, looking likely to be a possible suicide. And the proximity of water is worrying. I wish there were more answers/research on this apparent relationship between missing men and bodies of water. It's especially sad as drowning is both a horrible death for the person and it means there is a higher chance of their body not being found.

There needs to be some sort of protocol for missing people, ie a sort of electronic mandatory "welfare check" at a set time period from the date of the disappearance. An automatic check of bank account activity and phone records at least. People could opt out of this if they were concerned about their privacy, but I don't think many would, wouldn't most people want their family to be able to get some action if they suddenly disappeared for no reason?

New article with bits of new info.:

“The family realized Marty was missing on Jan. 6 when he didn't show up for a National Guard drill, something he'd been talking about with his family over Christmas. He hadn't missed a drill in 32 years with the National Guard.

His car was found parked not far from his home and a bar he often visited. His cell phone was on the floor.

’I was able to get some phone records for them, I just wasn't able to get into the phone,’ Marty's sister, Lisa Veber, said.

Veber and Ancil believe getting access to the phone could provide another set of clues to find out what happened to Marty, but they've run into a roadblock with that technology.

‘In order to get in the cellphone and get more of is records, you have to get the subpoena, and because you don't have proof of foul play, you can't go before a judge,’ Veber said.”

http://www.koin.com/news/missing-pe...?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KOIN_6

Also, at the end of the accompanying video, the reporter says just days before he vanished, Marty told family members he was really looking forward to deploying with his unit.

He has been missing for nearly two months. Can’t LE get a subpoena at this point, even without proof of foul play? And there have been no organized searches by them; it just seems like they really aren’t trying very hard. What can we do to help?

At least, Marty has been entered into NAMUS: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/42148/0/

Isn't this the first time we are hearing he was facing deployment? It really jumped out to me and may be connected.

Isn't this the first time we are hearing he was facing deployment? It really jumped out to me and may be connected.

Yes, at least for me, it is, and it very well may be connected, IMO, especially if he mentioned it to family only days before he went missing. If “he was really looking forward to deploying,” as the reporter says, why would he disappear voluntarily? Or could he have been feeling rather anxious about it instead?

I check Marty’s “Find” FB page regularly and find his sister’s most recent post quite insightful:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1788364241207618&id=1736771349700241

I think the info about Marty talking about looking forward to his next deployment has been out there for a while, I'm pretty sure it was in the video that John Lordan did about Marty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egwEmx86fNs&t=124s late January.

But I agree that it is significant and I don't remember Lisa talking much about it in the very full interview she did later again with John Lordan. But maybe Marty was worried about it for some reason we and she don't know about. I think it would be useful to know where it would have been, how long for etc. I don't really know the way the National Guard works, where they go etc. I hope Lisa has had some luck getting into Marty's phone.

In the youtube video Martin's sister mentions that Martin was seen on surveillance video checking into a local motel on the morning of Jan. 6 which was unusual for Martin but there was no follow up information. I would like to know the method of payment, credit card or cash. If he was using cash maybe he was trying to conceal his movements that day.

Maybe I am wrong about this but I get the feeling that Martin's sister Lisa is trying to control the information about Martin and protect his image. The most important thing is to find Martin and bring him home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back