Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
My view is that people like BRE are better off dragging out the preconviction period for as many years as possible. Better off spending time in remand for as long as you can!
Why? The only reason I could think of is so can have visitors everyday whilst on remand rather than just on weekends? Theres plenty of reasons people may delay a plea which would in turn hold back proceedings, but in terms of dragging it out on remand for as long as possible today, that makes no sense. Time spent in custody doesnt contribute toward your sentence on murder charges laid under current laws. 3 years dragging it out, 10 year minimum for a murder charge. Thats 13yrs in custody before being eligible for parole if you received the minimum sentence. Obviously these figures dont represent BREs circumstances. Im just questioning the logic behind saying that?

My view is that people like BRE are better off dragging out the pre-conviction period for as many years as possible. Better off spending time in remand for as long as you can!
Why do yo say that? What is better about being in remand awaiting sentence or being in jail serving a sentence? Is it the actual prison conditions? Or something else? Just curious.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I agree entirely , he would be a fool not to , its a new ballgame when he enters the general population , or worse still the protection unit with the other whackos
Your assuming an outcome then.
I can understand this if your charged under old legislation or if found guilty, your looking like never seeing the light of day again. Otherwise, no point at all.

Why do yo say that? What is better about being in remand awaiting sentence or being in jail serving a sentence? Is it the actual prison conditions? Or something else? Just curious.

Hopefully Twenty Mile will answer for themselves but I will throw in my 2 bobs worth .... the conditions in remand are better because while in remand you are considered innocent ... once you hit the main jail you have obviously been found guilty

His personal safety would be much better in remand , unless you are in remand for some really serious offence you are not likely to want to make a name for yourself trying him out ... in the general population he would not be so safe , possibly , to some he will be a hero , to some a leper ... and jails are ruled by drugs now so the old standards of prisoners taking care of things do not apply... drugs have ruined jails , there you have learnt something practical

I can understand this if your charged under old legislation or if found guilty, your looking like never seeing the light of day again. Otherwise, no point at all.

I'm not assuming anything , Remand is just a nicer place to be , but I would not put it on my holiday list , and until he is found guilty he has no choice but to be in remand ... it is my understanding the crown asked for this delay , not the defence , so he had no say in it anyway

Hopefully Twenty Mile will answer for themselves but I will throw in my 2 bobs worth .... the conditions in remand are better because while in remand you are considered innocent ... once you hit the main jail you have obviously been found guilty

His personal safety would be much better in remand , unless you are in remand for some really serious offence you are not likely to want to make a name for yourself trying him out ... in the general population he would not be so safe , possibly , to some he will be a hero , to some a leper ... and jails are ruled by drugs now so the old standards of prisoners taking care of things do not apply... drugs have ruined jails , there you have learnt something practical
Thankyou

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/alleged-rape-victim-attends-court-appearance-ng-b88429529z

I wonder if the victim of the Karrakatta rape was at court today. She attended the March 2017 hearing.
What a strong woman she was to attend court. It was the DNA from her rape that matched Ciara’s which then linked Jane. This should give her a great deal of satisfaction. MOO

Yes, she is incredibly strong and brave to be living this nightmare and attending court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not assuming anything , Remand is just a nicer place to be , but I would not put it on my holiday list , and until he is found guilty he has no choice but to be in remand ... it is my understanding the crown asked for this delay , not the defence , so he had no say in it anyway
When you make a comment "when he enters general population" it appears you have already assumed an outcome. My apologies.

I would hate to see 1.5 million row spreadsheet of evidence.

Not even sure an Excel sheet would handle that many records. Maybe database.

When you make a comment "when he enters general population" it appears you have already assumed an outcome. My apologies.

Oh ok , my mistake , no need to apologise ... I do think he is guilty of somethings , I do not know if he is guilty of everything... myself , like everyone else have seen no evidence of anything personally ... I have no doubt he will be found guilty of the lesser charges ... I think he will probably plead guilty to them to separate them from the murder charges , and this is how he will enter the main prison

Just looking back at some timelines. This one states that a link to SS and JR was made in June 1996. If there was a link back then I’d be curious to know what it was. Why the delay in charges for SS if a link was established over twenty years ago! Moo.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...d-investigation-unfolded-20161223-gth217.html

Could just be the circumstances surrounding their disappearances - similar physical attributes, been out at the same places around the same time. I read it that they thought they were linked (and maybe didn't have any specific evidence to make the link).

As for why they took this long to charge regarding SS, I think there are a number of possibilities. Could be that it took the year from when they first charged BRE for the other crimes to collect more evidence. Could be because they were debating whether the collective case was stronger and ultimately decided that it was. Could be that they were hoping to find more evidence after the initial charges but then didn't.

[/QUOTE .. it is my understanding the crown asked for this delay , not the defence , so he had no say in it anyway[/QUOTE]

Yes that's what I thought I read BRE was ready to plead then they added the SS charge. I read from that, that the SS info; evidence, DNA must add to the other cases or the 3rd case raises propensity. JMO

One thing that has always been curious to me is that when SS originally went missing - according to the detective interviewd on the Australian criminal investigation documentry - it was stated that major crime had taken over within 48 hrs as it was evident it was not just another missing persons case.... (link to eposode below - 11:45 minute mark)

This has always made me wonder why this was because I am not aware of it being standard practice for this to happen so early on in a missing persons case and wonder what evidence was discovered at that time.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...CuAQtwIIKTAD&usg=AOvVaw1qzzBkS7VadeWM9IG22V1n

One thing that has always been curious to me is that when SS originally went missing - according to the detective interviewd on the Australian criminal investigation documentry - it was stated that major crime had taken over within 48 hrs as it was evident it was not just another missing persons case.... (link to eposode below - 11:45 minute mark)

This has always made me wonder why this was because I am not aware of it being standard practice for this to happen so early on in a missing persons case and wonder what evidence was discovered at that time.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...CuAQtwIIKTAD&usg=AOvVaw1qzzBkS7VadeWM9IG22V1n

thanks for reminding us of this fact OSS.

This one point has always been very interesting, and as you probably know, has been discussed at length here on WS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie