GA GA - Timothy Cunningham, 35, Chamblee, 12 Feb 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they checked his attic and crawl spaces in his house?

I wonder whether the train yard has security cameras, and if so how long the footage is saved.

I'm sure there are. It's enormous as you can see on a map. Getting into the proper train yard would be a problem though. If he got on a train, it's more likely it would be from one one the tracks that come out of it. You can look at the google map and the various tracks to get a sense of that. If he took his dogs on long walks in the area or something, he'd probably be familiar with a place where outbound trains stop and such before going on. There's so many possibilities in that realm. However, without a large cash withdrawal or something, it still seems far-fetched to me. Nothing about his profile suggests "I'm going to go complete hobo for the hell of it." But, geographically, it certainly would be possible.

Does anyone know if “phone records“ implies that they were able to search his actual smartphone? If so, do they go through apps like GrubHub, etc? If he was sick, maybe he ordered some food and paid cash or the order wasn’t marked received? I only ask because there are lots of apps that can put you in contact with strangers, and we had a murder in ATL concerning food delivery recently.

Also, Is it clear whether there are any doors downstairs that one can lock from the inside as they are leaving? That can easily be manipulated by an outsider.

One more thought on this: I keep a small key separate from my normal keychain for running so it doesn’t jingle. If I had gotten passed up for a promotion I would 100% take a “sick” (actually personal) day and take it out on the pavement. I hope his family knows enough about his habits to check for a missing Fitbit, pair of running shoes, etc. because it might help explain some things. Even better, if they knew his running path.

I've been following this case in the media and IMO it seems like he was a very bright, intelligent young man who may have never experienced "rejection". He seemed like maybe he lived a very sheltered life and his parents showered him with attention and things because he excelled academically.

It seems like when he realized he was not getting the promotion, it triggered some feelings he was not used to dealing with. Generally, when you apply for a job (promotion) and do not get the job, there is not a follow-up meeting to specifically discuss why you didn't get the position. I'm thinking when he initially found out he would not be receiving the job he took a couple of days to "process" the information. I know a couple of people who are super smart like he is. They really do have everything, down to the smallest detail, planned out. If anything throws that plan "out of wack", it's like it throws them off balance especially if it is out of their control. They NEED to know why it didn't work out the way they planned. It seems like when reality really sank in he took a couple days off "sick". I would imagine it was him who requested the meeting to discuss the missed promotion. I would be interested to know when he requested the meeting. Was it before he took 2 sick days or did he come in the morning of and request the meeting? I know how it is when you've been working really hard and feel like you deserve the promotion more than anyone...and you don't get it. Your morale gets very low and you just don't feel like working. Of course, all of this is just my opinion but I think that may be why his tone was angry when he was speaking with his family. I think he was upset about his job and why he didn't get picked and was reaching out to his family to vent. He may have said some crazy things about his co-workers or job so his parents don't want to release the information to the media to protect his professional image IF he surfaces and ever wants to work in that field again. I think he probably left work that day, went home and decided to disappear. In his mind he may have felt like by not going to work, he was "punishing" the CDC for not promoting him. You know how it is when a co-worker calls-out, you have to do their job and yours and most people don't like that. Since he was a methodical planner, he may have had some money saved up so that he did not need his debit/credit cards. Anyone can go buy a "burner" phone from Walmart to use. I don't think he killed himself because I think the body should have turned up by now unless he went to a vacant house or jumped on the back of a train. Everything about this situation just seems to point to him being upset about the lack of a promotion.

He seems such a considerate responsible person that I can’t see him disappearing to start a new life knowing how much grief he would cause.
But he also seems the type who would have left a suicide note unless he thinks he had told them in a roundabout way how depressed he was.
I guess he couldn’t say “ I’m going to kill myself tomorrow”
I think the windows may have been left open so he knew Bo could be rescued easily.
I think he had been worrying about it all for the last week, and it led him into a suicidal state.

I worked for a federal agency for many years. I worked with many bright, driven people. I've seen some very qualified people passed over for promotions. However, I do not recall anyone ever ending their life because of it. Of course, people are all different. But, the thing about federal service is that people who join agencies are often dedicated and mission conscious, just like Tim Cunningham. They don't run away when things don't go as planned. Tim had 16 years of public health experience, meaning this was his only job, and likely an absolute passion for him. And he was young, just 35 years old. He likely realized that he would have many future promotion opportunities. This is just my opinion, based on life experience. Absent some mental health issues, I don't believe Tim self harmed because of a promotion pass over. jmo

<modsnip>

I know from experience that some are skilled at hiding mental illness. I am diagnosed PTSD and went through a mental break my entire last year of grad school but hid it so I could finish my degree and not be placed on involuntary medical leave. I forced myself to leave the house every morning and sat paranoid in every single one of my classes for an entire year, and only my partner knew. I was an incredibly high achiever, and my family had a very difficult time accepting my mental illness because it seemed opposite of my success and unlike the superstar they knew.

This could have been Tim's reality, and sadly the loss of promotion could have taken him over the edge, IMO. The comment to the neighbor, the open window, and leaving behind personal items all sound like someone who may have been paranoid and didn't want to be traced.

He seems such a considerate responsible person that I can&#8217;t see him disappearing to start a new life knowing how much grief he would cause.
But he also seems the type who would have left a suicide note unless he thinks he had told them in a roundabout way how depressed he was.
I guess he couldn&#8217;t say &#8220; I&#8217;m going to kill myself tomorrow&#8221;
I think the windows may have been left open so he knew Bo could be rescued easily.
I think he had been worrying about it all for the last week, and it led him into a suicidal state.

BBM. The windows left open were on the second floor in his bathroom and the laundry room. So they would not be windows easily accessible for entry to the house.

The location of the open windows does make me wonder if maybe he had "gotten sick" in the bathroom (i.e: vomiting or diarrhea) and then changed his clothes, threw them in the washing machine, cleaned up and then opened those windows in those rooms only to air out a bad smell OR to air out the smell of heavy cleaner. On the other hand, if there was bleach/heavy cleaner used in those rooms, a perp also could have opened the windows and washed some clothes/towels after cleaning up blood/bodily fluids. :thinking: :scared:

Given the timing, I think this case has homicide written all over it. He could have been poisoned at work and then somebody followed him home to finish him off and/or dispose of the body. It's probably classified but I'd like to know what he was working on and who he was working with.
I'm with you on this. I feel strongly that this is a homicide.

Why were the windows open? Was someone airing out a strong bleach smell?? Did they test the house for blood?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

As I mentioned in a previous post, I also worked at Leadership Atlanta during my time there. I know literally dozens of people like Tim Cunningham that go through its programs and then volunteer after. Tim was in the LEAD program, the one for young professionals. Most are exactly the way Georgia Peach describes-- used to succeeding always, and being told how great they are. The people that volunteer after the program for future year programs are particularly inclined to absorb attention from others connected to being an "up and comer" and "notable" and other high achieving accolades. They do the program and volunteer after for the resume and network building it gives them. They are achievement oriented, nonstop.

Considering all the evidence, it sounds more than anything like a suicide based on a mental break that happened based on not getting a promotion. It's an "I'll show you" or "I can't face these people anymore now that they don't think I'm good enough." There is no evidence of foul play here, nor any clear motive. It's going to be a matter of time, but if I had money I'd say his body is found, probably in the Chattahoochee river, at some point. Unfortunately, this section of river is not traveled by boats or fisherman much-- so it may take some time if it's weighted down in some way. I partially rule out woods because there are only so many woods nearby and it sounds like police and dogs have covered them well. Unless, of course, he hopped a train...

I'm with you on this. I feel strongly that this is a homicide.

Why were the windows open? Was someone airing out a strong bleach smell?? Did they test the house for blood?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

The weather had been in the 60's in Atlanta that day, and the days prior. He probably just had the upstairs windows open because the weather was nice for it. Why else do you think homicide here?

He sure doesn't strike me as someone who is going to hop on a train and head off to somewhere when he has a perfectly good vehicle, great job, beautiful home, loving family and friends.

You think someone killed him and removed his body from his home in broad daylight yet didn't steal anything? Seems unlikely.

He sure doesn't strike me as someone who is going to hop on a train and head off to somewhere when he has a perfectly good vehicle, great job, beautiful home, loving family and friends.

The train thing is simply based on the fact that there is a massive train yard and many trains within walking distance he could have hopped on.
As to his motivation, he certainly seems like someone that could have succumbed to a nervous breakdown, or whatever one wants to call it, due to rejection at work. For that matter, someone with a great job who was truly concerned about keeping it that day, may have not just said "hey, I'm sick again" after being told why he didn't get the promotion. It's unprofessional, and he would have known that.

With the parents pleading to him and for him to come home, as opposed to pleading for someone else to let him come home, says to me that they are aware for whatever reason that the first scenario is more likely than the second...

I am open to homicide at this point, or almost any theory really because there have been so few clues (released). Trying to let the facts speak w/o inserting any emotion or past experience is hard but I worry that sticking with one theory might cause me to miss something I'd never be looking for. There are myriad of stories we could think up to explain the comment to the neighbor IMO, which might all end in a different conclusion.

I guess I am just trying to have hope. It's all we have at this point IMO.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I also worked at Leadership Atlanta during my time there. I know literally dozens of people like Tim Cunningham that go through its programs and then volunteer after. Tim was in the LEAD program, the one for young professionals. Most are exactly the way Georgia Peach describes-- used to succeeding always, and being told how great they are. The people that volunteer after the program for future year programs are particularly inclined to absorb attention from others connected to being an "up and comer" and "notable" and other high achieving accolades. They do the program and volunteer after for the resume and network building it gives them. They are achievement oriented, nonstop.

Considering all the evidence, it sounds more than anything like a suicide based on a mental break that happened based on not getting a promotion. It's an "I'll show you" or "I can't face these people anymore now that they don't think I'm good enough." There is no evidence of foul play here, nor any clear motive. It's going to be a matter of time, but if I had money I'd say his body is found, probably in the Chattahoochee river, at some point. Unfortunately, this section of river is not traveled by boats or fisherman much-- so it may take some time if it's weighted down in some way. I partially rule out woods because there are only so many woods nearby and it sounds like police and dogs have covered them well. Unless, of course, he hopped a train...

Sadly, I'm starting to think this as well. I was hesitant before only because of his dog. I could not wrap my head around him leaving his dog behind (I realize now I was projecting as a fellow dog lover).

If he was suffering from a mental breakdown, he may have indeed thought that everyone and everything would be better off without him. I've been really depressed, but my animals kept me from checking myself into a psychiatric ward; I worried no one else could/would care for them like I could (the only thing I thought that I was good for and/or was capable of doing). But, I have also not experienced a complete mental breakdown, if I had, I may not have been in the position to even think about caring for anyone and/or anything.

The windows open...... maybe he thought that his dog would start barking, thus ensuring his dog would be found before it was too late. We don't know what else was inside his home. He may have left out days worth of dogfood, water and pee pads....... He knew someone would check on his home eventually, thus saving his dog.

oh boy.

Have you ever known anyone who suffered from depression or any other mental illness?

oh boy.

Have you ever known anyone who suffered from depression or any other mental illness?

That said, I think the failure if he saw it as that, was too much. We all have a breaking point. I hope he took off and is alive, but I fear his case shows true signs of a suicide or break reality. I hope he is alive
but I have misgivings.

With the parents pleading to him and for him to come home, as opposed to pleading for someone else to let him come home, says to me that they are aware for whatever reason that the first scenario is more likely than the second...

Sadly, I’ve seen other cases where the parents pleaded for the missing person to just come home, only to later find the person murdered.

Blaze Bernstein comes to mind. High achiever, home on break from U Penn, goes missing, wallet, keys, id left behind (though he had a phone with him). People speculated the pressure of school was too much for him. Parents said just come home, we don’t care what may have happened, we just want you home. He was found murdered in a nearby park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks