GA GA - Timothy Cunningham, 35, Chamblee, 12 Feb 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checking in on Timothy- My husband said his dissapearance was heard being discussed at work.

And...here's a thought I had on the neighbor/phone #. (I am thinking it may no longer fit in the timeline of finding out he wasn't promoted though).
If he was promoted he may have been thinking that he would be working longer hours. The exchanged numbers was perhaps for help with his dog, deliveries or letting in contracted services at the house, etc. After finding out he wasn't gonna be promoted it may have been a way to pass along that info and not needing help from her.
The other being they may have had a friendship discussing a topic/topics that he no longer was going to need to discuss as he was disappearing.

Ramblings before 5 a.m.

Wow, great "ramblings before 5 a.m.," LisaWL7TR. :smile: Great logical thinking -- more coherent thoughts than some of mine after 5 a.m.:thinking:

I love that this is being talked about in the workplace. I also love that there seems to be extensive searching of Timothy's area, from a media (TV news item) link I played somewhere within these pages.

I do wish (like someone mentioned) there was more specific info/context from neighbors (or co-workers), on what Timothy was saying/doing, leading up to his disappearance. I feel like *that* is where we might get needed clues/a better idea of his mindset.

I've been thinking a lot about the comment to the neighbor as well. If we consider that he was very distressed about something (possibly in addition to not getting the promotion, but maybe just that in itself), I feel that the comment to the neighbor could point to some premeditation on his part.
I am stuck on this detail of the case. Let's think out loud about why he may have made this request. Here's what I've come up with so far. What others are there?

1. Tim had reason to believe some entity was out to get him and didn't want an innocent neighbor implicated. This doesn't make sense, in my opinion, because LE would have seen they had phone contact by reviewing his records. Deleting her number wouldn't stop that. Also, why wouldn't he ask close friends and family to remove his number?

2. Tim was in a mental crisis and paranoid for no rational reason and felt he needed to protect the neighbor. Leaves me with same questions as #1.

3. The neighbor husband suspected that Tim and his wife were having an affair. The neighbor harmed Tim and deleted Tim's number from her phone. He made up the story about Tim telling him to delete the number to cover himself.

4. Tim *was* having an affair with the neighbor wife. The husband found out and confronted Tim, threatening him. Tim is angry and also concerned, but he can't tell his family why. Things continue to escalate and neighbor husband later harms Tim. Neighbor wife says nothing out of fear and shame.

What are other possibilities? To be clear, I'm not sleuthing or suggesting anyone sleuth the neighbors. I simply find this detail interesting. That we know of, no one else has said that Tim asked them to remove his number or any evidence of a friendship with him.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am stuck on this detail of the case. Let's think out loud about why he may have made this request. Here's what I've come up with so far. What others are there?

1. Tim had reason to believe some entity was out to get him and didn't want an innocent neighbor implicated. This doesn't make sense, in my opinion, because LE would have seen they had phone contact by reviewing his records. Deleting her number wouldn't stop that. Also, why wouldn't he ask close friends and family to remove his number?

2. Tim was in a mental crisis and paranoid for no rational reason and felt he needed to protect the neighbor. Leaves me with same questions as #1.

3. The neighbor husband suspected that Tim and his wife were having an affair. The neighbor harmed Tim and deleted Tim's number from her phone. He made up the story about Tim telling him to delete the number to cover himself.

4. Tim *was* having an affair with the neighbor wife. The husband found out and confronted Tim, threatening him. Tim is angry and also concerned, but he can't tell his family why. Things continue to escalate and neighbor husband later harms Tim. Neighbor wife says nothing out of fear and shame.

What are other possibilities? To be clear, I'm not sleuthing or suggesting anyone sleuth the neighbors. I simply find this detail interesting. That we know of, no one else has said that Tim asked them to remove his number or any evidence of a friendship with him.

5. Maybe the number he originally gave the neighbor was his work cell number (we don’t know, do we?). Maybe he lost the phone, or planned to quit his job, and didn’t want the neighbor contacting the next person who got the phone number.

I also thought of this possibility...that maybe the neighbor thought something was going on between the two...which I strongly doubt, but that could be why Tim said to "just delete my number from her phone" as a way to defuse the situation.

Not sleuthing just thinking of possibilities. Makes me wonder if that's why his scent couldn't be picked up...

I could think of a scenario "Hey Tim, can you ride with me to the store...we'll be right back" which would explain why all of his items were home because he was coming right back...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My speculation, shared earlier in this thread...
The text to the neighbor is odd, if only because of the context of his disappearance. But I can think of one scenario that would explain a perfectly rational reason for the text...

(pure speculation on my part) Maybe Tim got some spyware/spam email from the neighbor’s wife. (Doesn’t everyone get these spoofed emails, seemingly from someone you know?) Or maybe she’s in the habit of sending fake news articles to her contact list. Tim has the husbands cell phone #, but not the wife’s, so texts the husband to ask that she remove him from her contacts.

Of course, he could have just blocked her emails, but I’m just saying the text to the neighbor may be a red herring.

Your #4 is interesting.

eta: At the time, I thought the conversation was via text, later clarified that it was in-person.

Wow, great "ramblings before 5 a.m.," LisaWL7TR. :smile: Great logical thinking -- more coherent thoughts than some of mine after 5 a.m.:thinking:

I love that this is being talked about in the workplace. I also love that there seems to be extensive searching of Timothy's area, from a media (TV news item) link I played somewhere within these pages.

I do wish (like someone mentioned) there was more specific info/context from neighbors (or co-workers), on what Timothy was saying/doing, leading up to his disappearance. I feel like *that* is where we might get needed clues/a better idea of his mindset.

If I had to guess, his neighbors and coworkers are probably talking to LE and not openly talking to the media who are rather pushy.

Another possibility, which a number of people here have raised, is that it was a reflection of Cunningham's intentions and also maybe a cry for help.

If he knew he was thinking of leaving or of killing himself, he might've wanted the neighbor or the neighbor's wife to ask "why" -- to say something like "Tim, are you moving away?" or "Tim, are you getting a new phone number?" or even "Is everything okay?" This fits with him having conversations with his family that worried them. He may have been leaking his intentions in the hope -- whether conscious or unconscious -- that someone would help him and stop him.

He also might've wanted to spare the neighbors from the scrutiny he knew they'd receive from law enforcement if she was found to have his number in her phone after he disappeared. But (a) if that was the motivation it didn't work and (b) I doubt he was thinking that rationally.

Both of the neighbors (the husband and wife) have mentioned this in clips on the media. Though they seem perplexed, they seem more relaxed that I think they would be if an affair or an affair plus foul play were involved. Just my opinion.

Hopefully LE knows more than they are letting out. I do have a few questions just joining this group:
1. Do you need to swipe badge to get out of CDC too?
2. The picture of the car showed it backed into garage against far wall. If this is how it was found, it appears then there would be room for 2 cars parked. Most people don't park so perfectly in a two car garage when they are the only car in there.
3. The neighbors story about taking the wife out of Tim's phone is just so strange enough that there seems to be more to the story...much more.
4. Since he knew on the 5th of Feb. he was not getting the promotion, wouldn't it seem more logical to just check out and not find out why you weren't getting the promotion if in fact you were thinking of suicide?
5. I think there is much more to the story than a dedicated professional snapping because he didn't get a promotion.....

Hopefully LE knows more than they are letting out. I do have a few questions just joining this group:
2. The picture of the car showed it backed into garage against far wall. If this is how it was found, it appears then there would be room for 2 cars parked. Most people don't park so perfectly in a two car garage when they are the only car in there.
3. The neighbors story about taking the wife out of Tim's phone is just so strange enough that there seems to be more to the story...much more.
4. Since he knew on the 5th of Feb. he was not getting the promotion, wouldn't it seem more logical to just check out and not find out why you weren't getting the promotion if in fact you were thinking of suicide?
5. I think there is much more to the story than a dedicated professional snapping because he didn't get a promotion.....

That's a good point about how the car was parked. Hmmm.

Swipe card — yes, LE said he swiped in and out that day

Car — I haven’t seen the picture. Do you have a link?

Neighbor — There is some discussion of this in this thread, even in the last 20 or so posts. Much speculation.

Definitely more to the story than we know so far.

eta: Oh...and Welcome!

Let me begin by saying I personally just don't think he killed himself. My opinion is that he thought (rightly or wrongly) that someone was out to get him (and perhaps they were.).

If he had the neighbor remove his number from her phone, with the intention of protecting her, it might not have been the police he was worried about. Someone stealing/picking up the phone could check what numbers were in it. While unlikely that the neighbor's phone would be examined, he might have cleared numbers from his own phone and just suggested that she clear his out of an abundance of caution (or paranoia). Deleting numbers of family members would be meaningless, as most likely family would already be known and would probably be listed as his emergency contact.

A couple comments/questions:
He found out he wasn't getting the job on Monday, then called in sick on Thursday & Friday (then came in and spoke to the superior on the following Monday before turning around and leaving), correct? Does that mean he worked Tuesday and Wednesday?

After he left work and didn't return the following day, did anyone from the CDC (whether officially or just a co-worker) try to call to see if he was okay?

What time does work start at the CDC (what time would his shift have started)? The times seem awful early, but I'm not sure what's normal there.

Discussion with the boss was reportedly about why he didn't get the promotion. It would be interesting to know the cause. Performance related or something else? Given the current political climate, even innocently asking a co-worker out or saying the wrong thing could be enough. What prompted the meeting with the boss - did Tim ask for it? For that matter, is there any evidence besides the boss's statement that the discussion was about the promotion? Could Tim have threatened management with a discrimination lawsuit or something else?

A number of news articles and TV stories quote Cunningham's father as saying that his son was dealing with both personal and professional issues. For instance, the story I link to below quotes Tim's father Terrell Cunningham as follows:

"Cunningham's father Terrell told the New York Times that he had concerns about recent interactions with his son, whom he described as focused on a host of professional and personal issues.

“The tone and the numerous exchanges gave us reason to be concerned about Tim,” he said. “And I don’t know if it’s an instinct you have because it’s your child, but it was not a normal conversation, and I was not comfortable.”

The family is keeping private what those personal issues may have been, but it's clear they were concerned about their son.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-been-passed-over-for-a-promotion-police-say/

A number of news articles and TV stories quote Cunningham's father as saying that his son was dealing with both personal and professional issues. For instance, the story I link to below quotes Tim's father Terrell Cunningham as follows:

"Cunningham's father Terrell told the New York Times that he had concerns about recent interactions with his son, whom he described as focused on a host of professional and personal issues.

“The tone and the numerous exchanges gave us reason to be concerned about Tim,” he said. “And I don’t know if it’s an instinct you have because it’s your child, but it was not a normal conversation, and I was not comfortable.”

That could play either way. Tim being upset/suicidal is one possibility - Tim being worried (about his safety?) is another.

What’s strange to me is why the husband didn’t ask Tim any questions after he told him to tell his wife to take his number out of his phone. It just seems like a natural response would be “hey, is everything ok?” If they exchanged phone numbers, why didn’t Tim just call his wife to give her that message? Or send her a text?

I’m definitely not accusing the neighbors of anything it’s just weird.

I know some people, who always have drama, so when they say things, I just say “ok” to them to prevent having to hear a long drawn out story. That’s the only thing that would make sense to me is if the neighbors were used to Tim having drama/issues so they didn’t bother to probe.
It seems like Tim was crying out for help. As a mother, if my child was acting abnormal and I was worried about them my ringer would be on and phone glued to my hip until I felt like she was back to herself. I hope it wasn’t a situation where Tim was occasionally over-dramatic and people thought he was just going through one of his “episodes” again. I hope he turns up alive and well. Maybe they should check some homeless camps.

What’s strange to me is why the husband didn’t ask Tim any questions after he told him to tell his wife to take his number out of his phone. It just seems like a natural response would be “hey, is everything ok?” If they exchanged phone numbers, why didn’t Tim just call his wife to give her that message? Or send her a text?

I know some people, who always have drama, so when they say things, I just say “ok” to them to prevent having to hear a long drawn out story. That’s the only thing that would make sense to me is if the neighbors were used to Tim having drama/issues so they didn’t bother to probe.
It seems like Tim was crying out for help. As a mother, if my child was acting abnormal and I was worried about them my ringer would be on and phone glued to my hip until I felt like she was back to herself. I hope it wasn’t a situation where Tim was occasionally over-dramatic and people thought he was just going through one of his “episodes” again. I hope he turns up alive and well. Maybe they should check some homeless camps.

I couldn't agree more with all of this. Sure, maybe LE told them not to give any more details about the conversation, but then why are they in the media talking about it in the first place? It seems like exactly what you said, the instinct would be very strong to ask why, if everything was okay, etc. – unless either you knew getting into a conversation with the person would be too much drama, or there was enough background already that you understood why without an explanation being necessary.

Good points. A few thoughts:

The neighbor may not have had the opportunity to ask Tim why -- Tim may have called across the way to the neighbor and then gone inside, or may have otherwise nonverbally communicated that he didn't want to talk, even if on some level he did want to talk. Or maybe he would've felt more comfortable talking with the wife but happened to see the husband.

Also, even though I tend to think this was a cry for help, another possibility has occurred to me. I'm wondering whether the number in the neighbor lady's phone was to Tim's personal phone or his work cell phone (or possibly to a work office number, though I doubt it). (I think articles have implied he had two cell phones.)

Could Tim have thought he was in trouble for receiving too many calls at work or to his work cell phone? Maybe the woman next door tended to call with messages such as "Bo's barking again."

They said they found everything that belonged to Tim -- I'm guessing that included his work cell phone, if he had one. Though if he'd lost the phone, that might've been another reason to tell people to take its number out of their phones.

I'm still inclined toward the "another cry for help" theory, but these are some other possibilities.

I'm sure his mother is upset that she didn't pick up on that early morning text or later call. I'm sure if she'd known what was going to happen, she'd've kept her phone on. As you say, he either had had other instances of drama, or on the other hand, maybe drama from him was so unusual that she didn't think answering every call would be important.

An interesting question would be why did the neighbor feel the need to ever mention this ?

The family is keeping private what those personal issues may have been, but it's clear they were concerned about their son.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-been-passed-over-for-a-promotion-police-say/

This hits home for me right now and that is why I am leaning toward no foul play. I have a grown son in another state going through job related issues, and I speak with him daily to 'monitor' how he is holding up. If, God forgive me for even writing this, if he should turn up missing, I would totally be looking at it from this angle; he walked away for a break from life for awhile, somehow, or he took a permanent break from life. By Tim's momma's statements, I get the feeling she thinks he is out there, taking a temporary break in some fashion. My heart goes out to these parents. They've been worried about their boy and now it's gotten even worse. Praying hard for them and Tim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member