FL - Pedestrian bridge collapses at Florida International University, Miami, 2018

5 victims of Florida bridge collapse identified, including FIU student Alexa Duran
by Elizabeth Chuck

Florida International University student Alexa Duran was driving home from a doctor's appointment, her best friend next to her in the passenger's seat, when the unimaginable happened: A bridge collapsed right on top of them.

At least six people were killed by the force of the 950-ton walkway, including Duran, according to her father, Orlando Duran, who confirmed his daughter's death on Friday...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...se-identified-fiu-student-alexa-duran-n857281

Sadly, there were people who turned around and left the scene. SMH

I saw those too, but tried not to pay attention and/or to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they thought a bomb had gone off and there were more ready to go? I know it's a stretch...

I saw those too, but tried not to pay attention and/or to give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they thought a bomb had gone off and there were more ready to go? I know it's a stretch...

Maybe they had young kids in the car and saw that others had gone to help. I know of someone who stopped to help at a car crash. She was at the scene calling 999 (911) when suddenly her children, who had got out to see what mummy was doing, were next to her screaming their heads off at the sight of blood and obviously dead bodies.

Maybe they had young kids in the car and saw that others had gone to help. I know of someone who stopped to help at a car crash. She was at the scene calling 999 (911) when suddenly her children, who had got out to see what mummy was doing, were next to her screaming their heads off at the sight of blood and obviously dead bodies.

Yeah, this. Also, those people could have left the view we had and parked somewhere and gone to help. Or they knew they were useless in emergencies and would get in the way of actual helpers so they got out of the way. I can think of many more reasons. Why judge based on guesses? It just adds to the sadness of the ordeal.

Yeah, this. Also, those people could have left the view we had and parked somewhere and gone to help. Or they knew they were useless in emergencies and would get in the way of actual helpers so they got out of the way. I can think of many more reasons. Why judge based on guesses? It just adds to the sadness of the ordeal.
I would think it would be imperative to get any "extra vehicles out if the way pronto!
To make way for emergency vehicles.
Chances are someone tool control and began to direct people.
Many people are familiar with multiple traumatic injuries, opening the way for emergency personnel and triage...
Just from office drills.
Moo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All 6 victims recovered in Florida bridge collapse

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/17/us/florida-miami-bridge-collapse/index.html

The remains of five people have been recovered from the rubble of a pedestrian bridge that collapsed in South Florida, bringing to six the number of people killed in the collapse, Miami-Dade County Police Director Juan Perez said late Saturday.

Perez said authorities don't expect to find additional victims but will go through the rubble once more as a precaution.

bbm

this! I have a SN child I couldn't leave in the car alone, for example. I'd do everything else I could (call emergency services, note anything I'd seen to make a statement, move out of the way, help anyone within metres of my car), but couldn't go very far from the car because he can't be left unsupervised and also couldn't be taken out of the car. Anyone with small/young children, disabled, very frail elderly people etc in the car would probably be the same.

Just watched the videos of the first two cars that have been removed from under the rubble early this morning.
It's ghastly....vehicle completely crushed to it seems about 2 feet thick. There were (or are still) human beings in those. It's just incomprehensible....
frown.gif

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article205635774.html

So awful. It's probably not the worst way to die (you'd be dead of a catastrophic brain injury/broken neck before the rest of you was squashed I'd assume) but it would definitely be the worst thing for your loved ones to deal with. And I also feel for the workers tasked with cleaning up/recovery.

Blame game escalates in pedestrian bridge collapse that killed six

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article205704039.html

Cracking in the concrete, tension cables, stress tests — no conclusion has been made whether any of them caused the pedestrian bridge at Florida International University to collapse, killing six motorists under an avalanche of concrete and metal.

But as crews continued working Saturday to recover the last victims from the rubble, finger-pointing over the tragedy escalated between the university and the Florida Department of Transportation, which swiftly moved to distance itself from the tragedy despite its integral role in the project.

ETA:
Experts say it is not unusual for cracks to appear in a project. Their conjectures have focused on several elements, including the cable-tensioning work, the unusual design of the quick-build bridge, the lack of temporary shoring, and the decision to carry out testing and tightening of structural elements while the road was open to traffic.

bbm

While none of this should have happened, I am amazed there weren’t even more deaths and injuries. I can imagine many who witnessed it were in panic mode and some tried to get away from the area, not knowing what had just happened. Was it a bomb, an attack of some sort, a terrorist? I don’t know what I would have done, though I probably would have been immobilized, in shock.

I don't know. Could maybe ensure that anyone involved with the building of this bridge never builds anything ever again.

Notice the school bus possibly filled with children? good god, it could have been much worse with more victims. disturbing and absolutely horrifying.

Police believe all victims found in Florida bridge collapse, 6 dead
by Phil Helsel

Six people died after a pedestrian bridge collapsed on vehicles in Florida this week and authorities said they do not expect any more victims to be found beneath the wreckage.

"We believe that we've recovered the final two individuals, final two victims, from underneath the bridge,” Miami-Dade Police Director Juan Perez said at a news conference Saturday night. The total number of killed was six, "and I believe that is the final count," he said.

"Although we expected that perhaps we may find more, thankfully, we did not," Perez said...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...overed-florida-bridge-collapse-6-dead-n857636

While none of this should have happened, I am amazed there weren’t even more deaths and injuries. I can imagine many who witnessed it were in panic mode and some tried to get away from the area, not knowing what had just happened. Was it a bomb, an attack of some sort, a terrorist? I don’t know what I would have done, though I probably would have been immobilized, in shock.

Imagine what it might have been like with pedestrian traffic walking across the bridge or sitting at the tables and benches that dot the pedestrian walkway :eek: Many could have tumbled to their deaths or serious injuries in addition to those pinned in vehicles beneath the collapsed bridge.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/17/us/florida-bridge-collapse-crack.html

Hours before the collapse of a pedestrian bridge at Florida International University on Thursday, the engineering company for the bridge held a meeting to discuss a crack on the structure, according to a statement from the university released early Saturday.

Whether the cracking contributed to the collapse, which killed six people, remains a key question in the investigation.

Construction crews were working on a diagonal beam at the north end of the structure at or about the time of the collapse, according to information the National Transportation Safety Board provided to local members of Congress. Workers were tightening cables that ran inside the beam.
Such adjustments, which engineers call “post-tensioning,” are common in concrete designs to fine-tune the structure once it is in place. In this case, however, it was not clear whether the cable-tightening was routine or an urgent undertaking in response to the discovery of the crack in the bridge.

Police believe all victims found in Florida bridge collapse, 6 dead
by Phil Helsel

Six people died after a pedestrian bridge collapsed on vehicles in Florida this week and authorities said they do not expect any more victims to be found beneath the wreckage.

"We believe that we've recovered the final two individuals, final two victims, from underneath the bridge,” Miami-Dade Police Director Juan Perez said at a news conference Saturday night. The total number of killed was six, "and I believe that is the final count," he said.

"Although we expected that perhaps we may find more, thankfully, we did not," Perez said...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...overed-florida-bridge-collapse-6-dead-n857636

For the sake of the six people who were killed I hope and pray justice is done and the persons responsible are prosecuted and fined to the fullest extent of the law. This was an avoidable tragedy and lessons must be learned so it never happens again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back