MD MD - Woodstock, WhtFem 35-60, UP11923, found alive/injured in a field, died Sep'71, Jul'71

cache.php

Doe Network Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1284ufmd.html
NamUs Link: https://identifyus.org/cases/11923

(Warning: Both of these pages contain a link to a hospital photo of the woman which may be disturbing to some. I really do not know if this was taken prior to death or postmortem.)

Case Details:

- Unidentified White Female
- Date of discovery: July 15, 1971
- Location of discovery: Woodstock, Howard County, MD.
- Estimated Date of Death: September 7, 1971
- State of Remains: Recognizable face
- Cause of Death: Unknown

Vital Statistics:

- Estimated Age: 35-60 years old
- Height: 5'0"
- Weight: 86 lbs.
- Hair Color: Light brown, beginning to gray.
- Eye Color: Brown
- Distinguishing Marks/Features: She had a hump in the midsection of her nose. Her right ovary and tube had been surgically removed. Blood type was O+.
- Clothing: Half slip and panties.
- Jewelry: None
- Additional Personal Items: None

Summary:

The unidentified woman was found alive, lying in a field near the intersection of Route 99 (Old Frederick Rd.) and Woodstock Rd., in Woodstock, MD, on July 15, 1971. The patient underwent brain surgery prior to dying on September 7, 1971.

Sorry for asking this, but what is a half slip? In her real picture (it looks like she is gone to the other site) she seems to have a (some kind of) mole on her left cheek.

I grew up in the '80s and was forced to wear one to church. Maybe just a Southern thing though?

Thank you so much.....1971 USA was this a common thing to wear back then? Or certain type of women? I think a "good" girl would wear them (just an assumption) Maybe she was very ill (cancer comes to mind) but also she has a "junky" look (sorry for this)

I grew up in the '80s and was forced to wear one to church. Maybe just a Southern thing though?

Totally ok I guess but I was born in 1963 in Europe....never ever had this kind of clothing....only when I grew older and wearing a "look through" skirt or dress...This kind of under gown I associate with sexy but neat...

Thank you so much.....1971 USA was this a common thing to wear back then? Or certain type of women? I think a "good" girl would wear them (just an assumption) Maybe she was very ill (cancer comes to mind) but also she has a "junky" look (sorry for this)
Not so much a certain type of women as a certain level of dressiness or formality. I would have worn one for church or an office job, not for everyday. And also for certain materials that tended to "ride up" in back.

And mostly under slim "pencil" skirts.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Not so much a certain type of women as a certain level of dressiness or formality. I would have worn one for church or an office job, not for everyday. And also for certain materials that tended to "ride up" in back.

And mostly under slim "pencil" skirts.

Agreed. Wearing a slim-fitting skirt over tights or stockings often meant the skirt riding up a bit. The slip, being a sheer fabric, decreased that friction and helped the skirt hang properly.

I believe she had been originally wearing a dress, or a skirt paired with some kind of blouse, before these were removed from her body by another individual. Remember, elderly folks can look disheveled sometimes, particularly those who are experiencing neglect or some type of abuse. The fact that she was found half-naked from the waist up makes me believe she was out of it - disoriented, hurt by someone, dumped there - not necessarily an addict.

Not that it probably matters a lot, but the Doe site says jewelry unknown, Namus says none, but in the reconstruction she is wearing earrings.

Every detail matters. Thanks for picking up on that. This tidbit demonstrates that police work back then may have been shoddy and I frankly doubt the coroner cared a lot, given the circumstances. Which is sad, but, don't get me started.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7259/0/

I think the woman looks middle aged, but so emaciated you really can't tell, so
I did a quick search on namus for Maryland just to see if anyone similar maybe popped up. I almost didn't even click on it because of the gap in years when Betty went missing and this woman was found. It makes sense maybe though reading about the circumstances of Betty's disappearance. She has a lot of images on her file, and it's really hard to tell what she'd look like at that weight, but I think the uid and the older woman (Bettys mother?) In the photos share a resemblance. She had the scar, dentures, hazel eyes, the heights off but everything else looks really close. If anyone wants to submit her, please go ahead. I'm still a bit unclear on how to do that, and this is the only second I'll have today where I'm not driving.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7259/0/

I think the woman looks middle aged, but so emaciated you really can't tell, so
I did a quick search on namus for Maryland just to see if anyone similar maybe popped up. I almost didn't even click on it because of the gap in years when Betty went missing and this woman was found. It makes sense maybe though reading about the circumstances of Betty's disappearance. She has a lot of images on her file, and it's really hard to tell what she'd look like at that weight, but I think the uid and the older woman (Bettys mother?) In the photos share a resemblance. She had the scar, dentures, hazel eyes, the heights off but everything else looks really close. If anyone wants to submit her, please go ahead. I'm still a bit unclear on how to do that, and this is the only second I'll have today where I'm not driving.

Betty had a tattoo "jeff" on her forearm so I don't think it's a match. She could have lasered it away but I'm not sure how common that was those days.

Betty had a tattoo "jeff" on her forearm so I don't think it's a match. She could have lasered it away but I'm not sure how common that was those days.

I saw that too, it would be an incredible longshot, but the things that do match have me on the fence. I didn't see the tattoo on Betty's photos, so I'm not sure of the size or quality of it.
I had a few friends in high school that thought they were clever making a tattoo gun with a pen and sewing needle, they gave themselves ridiculous tattoos that were gone or faded beyond recognition in a few years. One of them scratched her super-neato "marilyn manson" tattoo off with a safety pin (my friend *might* have been an idiot🤔 ) when her mom found out.
I wonder if "Jeff" was the guy Betty took off to Maryland with. I got a brief reprieve from driving all day, so I can go ahead and submit her later on. With dentals and dna Betty should, if nothing else, be an easy rule-out.

I submitted Betty as a potential match to their regional contact, it was the same person for both and the only one with an email listed. I hope that's the right person to contact. I've never submitted anyone before, I don't know why I'm nervous about it. I think I have a fear of bothering people who have so much work to do already. Logically I know that's a silly thought, but man my nerves say otherwise!
I hope we can identify this poor dear. It's so heartbreaking that she really needed someone to care for her and no one even knows her name.
Gah, I'm not crying. I'm not, I'm not, I'm not. Dang it, I am.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back