GA - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 #2 *Arrests*

Anyone know what happening at the hearing yesterday?

TIA! :wave:

Google Alert - sharing...

Man charged with helping burn beauty queen's body faces new charges

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...uty-queens-body-facing-new-charges/640938001/

A (Wilcox County) grand jury last week filed four new charges against Dukes: two counts of making false statements, one count of hindering apprehension of a criminal and one count of concealing the death of another.
[.....]
According to the indictment, all four of the new charges stem from a June 16, 2016 interview between Dukes and GBI investigator Jason Shouldel.
[.....]
Dukes already faces similar charges in Ben Hill County in the Grinstead case. In June, a Ben Hill grand jury charged him with concealing a death, tampering with evidence and hindering apprehension of a criminal.
No trial date has been set for either man.

so we :waiting:

Has there been any discussion here about Ryan Duke's health? In the last podcast or two done by UAD, Ryan's family reluctantly disclosed the already discerned fact that he has had multiple organ failure, has chronic organ damage from ETOH abuse, and is very unhealthy, IOW.
He was on hemodialysis for a period of time but isn't any longer. I think that's one reason I was so shocked when I saw his photo from HS to arrest- He's apparently a very ill man, and likely mostly self- induced.

My question is this: If they go to trial with this case ( neither men plead out at the last minute), is Ryan expected to live that long, and if he doesn't plead guilty, will he likely live to serve out most of his sentence in jail? I think God is the final judgment, of course, but I would like to see both of them go to a max. security prison and be subjected to just part of what they probably did to Tara.

Duke to be tried in Grinstead death this year
http://www.walb.com/story/37253906/duke-to-be-tried-in-grinstead-death-this-year

Friday morning, the prosecutors and defense attorneys went before an Irwin County judge.

Tara Grinstead disappeared in 2005. It wasn’t until last year the GBI arrested Ryan Duke, charging him with her murder.

Prosecutors said they are ready to bring the case to trial. The public defender said he needs more time.

The two sides agree they plan to have a trial this year.
[.....]
Bo Dukes, a longtime friend of Duke, is also a defendant in the Grinstead murder case. He is charged with concealing a death, tampering with evidence and hindering the apprehension or punishment of a criminal.

While Dukes is out on bond, Ryan Duke remains behind bars, with little contact with the community. And he’s dealing with a death himself. His father passed away just two months ago.

more at link.

Well, darn - thought they might have given a date! :gaah:

Just another article:

Tara Grinstead case remains bound by gag order 1 year after major break
http://wgxa.tv/news/local/tara-grinstead-case-remains-bound-by-gag-order-one-year-after-major-break

The case became the largest missing person's case in the state and had gone cold for years until February 2017 when authorities announced they had made two arrest in connection to Grinstead's death.
[.....]
Since the major break in the case, both men have pleaded not guilty to the charges they face as the case lingers in court ahead of a trial.

The case remains under a gag order put in place by an Irwin County judge. The order prohibits law enforcement, attorneys and anyone directly involved in the case from discussing any details with the media.
[.....]
Most recently in October of 2107, the Georgia Supreme Court heard oral arguments to lift the gag order but have yet to make a decision.

A trial date for Ryan Duke and Bo Dukes has not been set.

:waiting:

Hi all, just catching up here to see what is the latest - how can they not set a trial date? Is that unusual? What is going on there? Are they just waiting for RD to die and then quietly make this all go away for BD?

Also, I read a lot of theories that BD is really the responsible party - is that because RD looks so sickly and beaten down? Just remember that he was likely a completely different man in 2005 - young robust and perhaps a violent angry man. I'm not fooled by appearances, now or ever. Facing your own mortality changes people, but it doesn't make him a poor scapegoat who is innocent. If anything is making BD talk more, it's arrogance that he really is going to get away with it. I don't disagree that the possibility he had a lot more involvement than he is claiming is pretty likely, but that doesn't make RD innocent.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get information now that the GO is lifted? Does it come from interviews or FOIA? TIA.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get information now that the GO is lifted? Does it come from interviews or FOIA? TIA.
I am sure the AJC and other media outlets will be all over it. I tried to access Irwin County court records yesterday but didn't have much luck finding a public non-pay portal in the limited amount of time I searched.

Hi all, just catching up here to see what is the latest - how can they not set a trial date? Is that unusual? What is going on there? Are they just waiting for RD to die and then quietly make this all go away for BD?

Also, I read a lot of theories that BD is really the responsible party - is that because RD looks so sickly and beaten down? Just remember that he was likely a completely different man in 2005 - young robust and perhaps a violent angry man. I'm not fooled by appearances, now or ever. Facing your own mortality changes people, but it doesn't make him a poor scapegoat who is innocent. If anything is making BD talk more, it's arrogance that he really is going to get away with it. I don't disagree that the possibility he had a lot more involvement than he is claiming is pretty likely, but that doesn't make RD innocent.
I think you're right about his pitiful appearance now influencing people. He was a robust, good looking young man and I'll bet BD was a follower of the more popular RD.

I am sure the AJC and other media outlets will be all over it. I tried to access Irwin County court records yesterday but didn't have much luck finding a public non-pay portal in the limited amount of time I searched.

Wondering why some counties in Georgia I can get into, but others like Irwin I can't!! Frustrating!!

Any news on either one of them? Last hearing I have for Ryan was March 16th where defense filed an appeal motion to KEEP the gag order that was supposed to be heard.

TIA! :wave:

I have a question about the timeline of the event...I don't know if this is the right forum or not, but I saw it mentioned Fitzgerald, where her remains were reportedly found, and I wanted to bring up a question.
So, way back in the 2nd episode, the police chief stated that Tara likely left the pageant by 7:15 at the earliest, could have possibly visited a former student's house in Fitzgerald (rumor hear by Melba), and then stopped off to talk to Rhett Roberts for about 15 minutes before arriving at the barbecue at 8:00. The chief of police thought it was unlikely, but possible that Tara had visited the house of the former student. However, Fitzgerald is 13 min away from Ocilla by car, meaning that Tara would have arrived at the house by around 7:30. Lets say she stayed for maybe 10 minutes to have a talk: She would have left the student's house by 7:40. Payne said that the drive from the theater where the pageant was held to Roberts' house was about 13 minutes...so maybe driving in from Fitzgerald it would take slightly longer to get to Roberts' than it did driving out from the theater? Let's say 18 minutes. By this time it would be almost 8:00. Then, Tara reportedly talked to Roberts for around 15 minutes before arriving at the barbecue, which was a few blocks away from his house. Assuming it only took her a few minutes to get from Roberts' to the barbecue, she would have arrived at the BBQ by nearly 8:20? Does this possible 20 minute shift in the time frame matter? I just find it odd that the police chief was confident the trip to Fitzgerald could hypothetically be made within the time frame, when it actually could not. This is probably nothing (i'm only 5 episodes in and not very good at detective work) but this was just something that caught my eye...or ear, I guess.

Grinstead case: New documents reveal possible confession reported in 2005 (with clip)

August 16th 2018

"OCILLA, GA (WALB) -
Explosive new facts are coming to light through court documents obtained by WALB related to the October 2005 disappearance of Tara Grinstead.

Both the State and attorneys for Ryan Duke filed multiple new motions and demands this week in the case against Duke for the killing of Grinstead.
Duke's attorney also filed 23 previous motions on Aug. 8.

On Thursday, WALB received the documents from the Irwin County Superior Court through an open records request.

One document filed by the public defender's office for Duke is a plea in bar and demurrer to counts two (felony murder), three (felony murder), four (aggravated assault), five (burglary) and six (concealing death of another) of the indictment based upon the statute of limitations....

On Aug. 10, District Attorney Paul Bowden filed a Notice of Jackson-Denno hearing, to be held at 9:30 a.m. on September 20....

Read the full documents here: ..."

Grinstead case: New documents reveal possible confession reported in 2005
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

b88a5bb1155ee7935e0965572c988b6b

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back