Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling it a safe suburb when one of the most notorious serial killers had called it his home. The Birnies, another notorious serial kiler team had used Stirling Highway as their trawling avenue.
Numerous murders, and obvious large scale crime.

Quite the opposite a safe suburb, one the most dangerous suburbs to live in the country.

20 years difference between Cooke and Cutler is where we are today. The point was, as we sit here today, those people int he area knew of the Cooke era. Many of them had been through the Cooke terror.

Eric Edgar Cooke, nicknamed the "Night Caller", was an Australian serial killer. From 1959 to 1963, he terrorised the city of Perth, Western Australia, by committing 22 violent crimes, eight of which resulted in deaths.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Edgar_Cooke

Serial killers and more serial killers attributed to the immediate area. Safe suburb is a perception and opinion, not reality.

Homeswest and large scale flats have always been an issue in the area.

I totally agree. I don't think people were living in fear. I think the public had become more conscious of the threat, and some girls were still taking risks going home with boys they didn't know.

But sure, parents were probably more concerned and some required a meeting before you could shoot of with their daughter.

Ciara's undoing I think was her recent return from Ireland. Although we haven't heard if accused has met the victims yet.

Sometimes I cannot understand why some of the stuff is written in these forums

Eric Cooke was executed in 1964 ... Julie Cutler went missing in 1988 ... I would not call that close to her disappearance

Homewest being in an area is irrelevant to this case , the suspect and victims were not homeswest residents to my knowledge

Drug use is a problem in all areas , it is the access or lack of that causes problems with drugs

I have worked in antique restoration in the past and been in many Claremont homes that were not on the river , I would not describe them as working class ... but I have not been in every home in Claremont

As for people living in fear , the venues were still crowded , that rules that out

On the Homeswest issue ..Scarborough was built as a Homeswest suburb for the returned soldiers of the Korean war ... did that stop anyone going to the beach

Judging by Janes reception to Mystery Man, Sarahs sighting at her flat with a tall slender gentleman still not identified as far as we know, someone may have made secretive arrangements and met the girls prior somewhere which we may hear later.

Calling it a safe suburb when one of the most notorious serial killers had called it his home. The Birnies, another notorious serial kiler team had used Stirling Highway as their trawling avenue.
Numerous murders, and obvious large scale crime.

Homeswest and large scale flats have always been an issue in the area.

I will say it again , Eric Cooke had been dead for over 30 years when the CSK thing started , 24 years before Julie Cutler , I do not think anyone was giving thought to Edgar Cooke

Homewest is irrelevant to the entire matter

The venues were crowded , were they crowded with terrified people who met there for safety in numbers purposes

We should try and get the facts right to stop pages and pages of needless speculation , I read that somewhere recently

I'm just shocked at all the comments of this place being safe suburbs around the internet.

Cooke wasn't that long ago when Cutler went missing.
Ive never read anyone claiming the area around Wellington/Glyde St to be safe. Its typically not known to be considered a savoury part of Mosman Park for all the reasons you list. Thats why those who can afford to live in those suburbs would not choose to live there. If they did, Im sure there'd be an even bigger push to have it cleaned up and not withstanding the constant discussions about that anyway.

Cooke took his last victim in 1963. Julie Cutler wasnt even born then much less any of the other girls. She was 22 when she disappeared. Assuming you'd have to be around 10years of age to remember the actions of a serial killer, by the time of the CSK in 1996 the only people who would possibly have remembered Cooke would have been into their 40's. He'd certainly not have been on the radar of any of the girls. SS probably wouldnt have been all that familiar with the Birnies either, if at all.

The Birnie's were closer to Julie Cutler's disappearance, they were arrested at the end of 1986. But we quickly forget, I took risks in my early twenties I hope my daughter doesn't take.

The venues may have been crowded outside of Claremont and to be sure nobody was hiding under their beds but girls weren't being removed from their beds. They were being taken from the highway and main thoroughfares. It's well documented that the murders took a heavy toll on business, the pubs who went from being very profitable into loss and the retail stores were also negatively impacted. The pub still has not returned to pre CSK figures over twenty years later. Became "a ghost town" it was said.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/hote...l-over-claremont-murder-charges-ng-b88342069z

Eric Cooke has been raised by Brett Christian a few times. He's on the record as saying prior to BRE arrest, that when the CSK was eventually caught he believed we would find more similarities to Eric Cooke's crimes than has been considered. Meaning, it's a myth that serial killers only target one type of person ie. blondes, one gender, or age group, only kill in one particular way and have a fixed MO.

Of course for investigative purposes, they look for similarities but to exclude a killer from inquiries on a particular case because "it doesn't look like he did that one" at the public's peril.

I will say it again , Eric Cooke had been dead for over 30 years when the CSK thing started , 24 years before Julie Cutler , I do not think anyone was giving thought to Edgar Cooke

Homewest is irrelevant to the entire matter

The venues were crowded , were they crowded with terrified people who met there for safety in numbers purposes

We should try and get the facts right to stop pages and pages of needless speculation , I read that somewhere recently

I can't answer as to whether it was given credibility, but it was credible enough for a journalist to publish it, and the witness was willing to be named in the press. The journalist in question seems quite respected in the industry (of course he'd have been a much younger journo when he wrote that report!) I just put it up again to add to the mix as the knowing what she was wearing and being prepared to go the police with that information seemed to lend this report some weight? And I agree, the time frame seems to fit and puts her out in the "prowling" area of the CSK.
This was just one of many. There were 13 sightings of females in the area at the time that matched Janes description. The police put out a call for all women who were in those areas to come forward. The official police word is that the last known sighting of her was outside the Continental Hotel.

This will be my final comment on neighbourhoods living in fear ... I think the level of fear would depend on where you come form

I grew up around Fitzroy Street , St Kilda , Victoria... my idea of normal behaviour is completely different from someone who grew up in Jutland Parade for example ... I have never been afraid to go anywhere

I think the entire subject on suburbs in fear is pointless, because it is a personal thing

If someone wishes to say they themselves were in fear by all means go ahead , but do not try and talk for an entire neighbourhood

This was just one of many. There were 13 sightings of females in the area at the time that matched Janes description. The police put out a call for all women who were in those areas to come forward. The official police word is that the last known sighting of her was outside the Continental Hotel.
Thanks noname, i agree .
Too many people be reading the stupid conspiracy website that promotes this garbage in my opinion !

Of course it's secondary to what happened to those girls but when people start counting how much money they're losing and it's costing, you can bet fear gets a mention El Gordo. Then consider how much that investigation cost the people of WA. That money came from somewhere and it was probably pulled from health, education and general public services.

Then factor in how much it's going to cost to prosecute him, even that million and a half pages of evidence probably cost a million to print and there will be copies.

:jail:

This will be my final comment on neighbourhoods living in fear ... I think the level of fear would depend on where you come form

I grew up around Fitzroy Street , St Kilda , Victoria... my idea of normal behaviour is completely different from someone who grew up in Jutland Parade for example ... I have never been afraid to go anywhere

I think the entire subject on suburbs in fear is pointless, because it is a personal thing

If someone wishes to say they themselves were in fear by all means go ahead , but do not try and talk for an entire neighbourhood

This must be one of the more significant posts. It really does point to someone visiting Rowe park. Was someone fantasising about his earlier rape?

What is significant about this stretch though? It is down the road from the Claremont hotel, and Karrakatta cemetery was a little bit further on.

A spot where a person was seen after the rape. The person w as seen masturbating in the park opposite the showground subway.

Post Newspaper 12 December 2015

Some interesting info in article - Note reference to underwear being taken off clothes lines and man potentially peering into windows.

Rowe Park is very close to speedway.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Claremont hotel was a pub. As long as you had a pair jeans and closed footwear.

Club Bayview was different, but Cottesloe or OBH people wore boardshorts.

Club Bay View was about the only immediate area night club. The rest were casual pubs. IMO.

@CanningVale Would that be the land that is now developed? His parents are probably minted now,

IMHO, Mystery man looks like he just got changed, or had formal catering white **** black pants and pulled the shirt out as far as he could. His collar couldn't get any wider if he wanted it to.
KrissyJ,
Yes the Edwards land was sold off. I think 2004. 3 acres ?

Claremont hotel was a pub. As long as you had a pair jeans and closed footwear.

Club Bayview was different, but Cottesloe or OBH people wore boardshorts.

Club Bay View was about the only immediate area night club. The rest were casual pubs. IMO.

@CanningVale Would that be the land that is now developed? His parents are probably minted now,

IMHO, Mystery man looks like he just got changed, or had formal catering white **** black pants and pulled the shirt out as far as he could. His collar couldn't get any wider if he wanted it to.

In the past,we’ve spoken about the accused having a weekend job in 1996/97– just a possibility. He may have needed the income to pay the mortgage, once the first wife had gone.

Both the Spiers and Glennon family were busy making arrangements for a social gathering. The Spiers were preparing for their eldest daughter’s 21[SUP]st[/SUP]. The Glennons planning for their oldest daughters wedding.

We’d gone through a list of possibilities in which the CSK may have been working in. My thoughts were perhaps a limousine driver –because the mystery man was quite well dressed. That’s if the MM was the CSK and I think it may have been him.

These are just my thoughts and opinions.

In the past,we’ve spoken about the accused having a weekend job in 1996/97– just a possibility. He may have needed the income to pay the mortgage, once the first wife had gone.

Both the Spiers and Glennon family were busy making arrangements for a social gathering. The Spiers were preparing for their eldest daughter’s 21[SUP]st[/SUP]. The Glennons planning for their oldest daughters wedding.

We’d gone through a list of possibilities in which the CSK may have been working in. My thoughts were perhaps a limousine driver –because the mystery man was quite well dressed. That’s if the MM was the CSK and I think it may have been him.

These are just my thoughts and opinions.
MM was once described as Blonde.
145c98d57946abfb3601800fe9307882.jpg

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Imagine if MM is in fact not the accused and comes forward after the trial.. :eek:hwow:

I don't understand why he must have been in catering.. could have come from a formal 21st, engagement party or wedding and taken his tie off or could be just MM style back then.

As someone that has worked in the hospitality industry for a number of years, I and co-workers alike would get changed before hitting the town. No way did we want to be wearing our work clothes out after running around after people for half a night.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Imagine if MM is in fact not the accused and comes forward after the trial.. :eek:hwow:

I don't understand why he must have been in catering.. could have come from a formal 21st, engagement party or wedding and taken his tie off or could be just MM style back then.

As someone that has worked in the hospitality industry for a number of years, I and co-workers alike would get changed before hitting the town. No way did we want to be wearing our work clothes out after running around after people for half a night.

I don't think the accused was into doing a second job. He would earn a lot more in the Telstra team doing overtime being called out after hours. There's no evidence of substantial wealth. He only ever had one property at a time, there were no big cabin cruisers parked in his yard. He volunteered on Little Athletics. If he did voluntary work in the mid 90's he'd probably gravitate to stuff he was interested in. Maybe like being in the pit crew of a speedway team for instance.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

As someone who worked on doors you are correct about hospitality staff getting changed before going out .. Where the woman were concerned ... the blokes were not so fussy

I know the photo is from a pub with no door charge , but it was an unwritten rule everywhere I worked Hospitality staff who had been working did not pay cover charges ... did not have to queue up if possible ... if known it did not matter if they had been working or not

A lot of times a work uniform was good to get you in if you were not known , there may be something written on the front of the shirt that cannot be seen , a lot of guys did not get changed .

Having said all that I don't think this MM person has anything to do with anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong