Gun Control Debate #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad the kids are forcing this discussion on gun violence in the USA and are working to make it an election issue too. This is WAY overdue. Other countries also have kids playing lots of violent video games, many mentally ill people and much drug use. Why is gun violence so much worse in the States? As a Canadian I see these differences: Access to guns and endless rounds of ammunition there is way too easy. Lax background checks. An attitude than guns are for defense. In Canada, guns are for hunting, defending yourself against wild animals and using at a gun range. Only really bad criminals here think of guns as tools to kill people. Even the police here use a gun on a human being only as a very last resort. I would encourage Americans to work to get it out of your heads that guns are to be used on human beings.
A youth a day is shot in Ontario. 75% of those are accidental deaths. Aren't there laws in Canada to protect these youths from accidental shootings? https://globalnews.ca/news/3333517/...jured-by-gun-violence-in-ontario-study-warns/

If the "shooting ends now" is for real then i hope military takes its own advice, and ends war/violence as well, (non participation). IMO.

Are you suggesting people should stop enlisting?

So glad the kids are forcing this discussion on gun violence in the USA and are working to make it an election issue too. This is WAY overdue. Other countries also have kids playing lots of violent video games, many mentally ill people and much drug use. Why is gun violence so much worse in the States? As a Canadian I see these differences: Access to guns and endless rounds of ammunition there is way too easy. Lax background checks. An attitude that guns are for defense. In Canada, guns are seen as for hunting, defending your livestock against wild animals and using at a gun range. Only really bad criminals here think of guns as tools to threaten or kill people. Even the police here use a gun on a criminal only as a very last resort. I would encourage Americans to work to get it out of your heads that guns are to be used on human beings (eg to get the bad guy with a gun, to stop an invader, to stop a corrupt govt.)
Good points, well made.
Me, I would ban all guns from the hands of civilians.

I don't believe humans should have the option to take a life with a machine.

Get rid of them all, I say..
Bonfire.
Problem solved.

When a gun is present in a situation of domestic violence, it increases the risk the woman will be killed fivefold.

A case-control study of 11 cities found that in a domestic violence situation, the perpetrator’s access to a gun increased the odds of femicide by more than five times (adjust OR=5.44, 95% CI = 2.89, 10.22).11

https://everytownresearch.org/gun-violence-by-the-numbers/#KidsTeens

If people abhorr gun violence or any other form of violence, yes they should not participate in violence or they are being hypocritical.

Interesting. I'm concerned about gun violence and support gun reform, but I served in the military. Does anyone not abhor violence? Is it your belief that only those who love violence should join the military? Honestly, I don't see how wanting to keep guns out of the hands of toddlers and abusers, banning assault weapons, and helping our most vulnerable citizens stay alive makes me a hypocrite.

A youth a day is shot in Ontario. 75% of those are accidental deaths. Aren't there laws in Canada to protect these youths from accidental shootings? https://globalnews.ca/news/3333517/...jured-by-gun-violence-in-ontario-study-warns/

Yes, that is terrible. Injured, not killed. Shot does not mean KILLED. There is NOT one child killed per day by guns in Ontario, Canada! (Youths in the study were considered 24 years of age and under, I believe) Some of the problem is illegal guns pouring in across the border (eg so many huge cities in Ontario are so close to the US). The Liberal govt has just introduced a bill for stricter gun regulations and laws for proper gun storage need to be enforced more strictly. No person in a city in Canada needs a gun. If they want one for recreation or hunting, they should store it at a gun range.

Violent Death Rates: The US Compared with Other High-income OECD Countries, 2010.

"Ninety percent of women, 91% of children aged 0 to 14 years, 92% of youth aged 15 to 24 years, and 82% of all people killed by firearms were from the United States."

(snip)

"The United States has an enormous firearm problem compared with other high-income countries, with higher rates of homicide and firearm-related suicide. Compared with 2003 estimates, the US firearm death rate remains unchanged while firearm death rates in other countries decreased. Thus, the already high relative rates of firearm homicide, firearm suicide, and unintentional firearm death in the United States compared with other high-income countries increased between 2003 and 2010."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26551975

Another possible terrorist deported back to China-

He was here on an F-1 visa for students but had stopped attending any classes
His friends, neighbors and UCF staff noticed his recent strange and different behavior
He recently died his hair
He recently bought a new fancy car for $70,000 CASH
He was acquiring multiple assault rifles with scopes and tripods

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/ucf...vior-purchasing-high-powered-rifles/723685366

If he had only went to his classes!
He lost his immigration status for missing class, until then, it was legal for him to purchase as many guns as he wants. And buy as many cars as he wants. And dye his hair funny colors.
It’s all legal.
He lost his guns because he lost his immigration status because he didn’t go to class.

After he purchased the second firearm, Sun’s nonimmigrant status was terminated for noncompliance with regulations unrelated to the firearms purchase, police said. He was required to attend classes, which he did not, police said.

Ownership of both firearms became illegal once Sun no longer had legal nonimmigrant status in the U.S., and he was taken into custody Feb. 7.

fmu, an "assault weapon" ban wouldn't include taking away legally owned rifles that fall into that category, so that's one less thing to worry about. I like Florida's recent legal measures, too, including raising the purchasing age for semiauto military-style rifles to 21.

As for the magazine cartridges, imo, if they're illegal to own, then they'd be illegal to modify them to hold more. Double whammy, as for proving a case of illegal intent, especially if used in the commission of a felony.
I do agree those that have "assault guns" will be able to keep theirs. What we need in my opinion are laws that stop the ghost guns, 3-D printing and online build your own guns. Without stopping the ways that criminals can get guns "assault guns" will still be produced. So then because no new legal "assault guns" can be purchased, but more illegal "assault guns" will be out there giving the criminal the upper hand.

This increase is alarming to Canadians: " In 2016, there were 223 firearm‑related homicides, 44 more than the previous year."

Do we go out and buy more guns? No! We (meaning the vast majority of Canadians) demand stricter gun laws.

Thread is closed for review and some cleanup.

Check back later folks !!

:wave:

Thread is open again for posting.

No personalizing, bickering or snark, victim blaming, or demeaning other members for their opinion.

Thanks.

Alton Sterling shooting: Baton Rouge officer fired as graphic body camera footage released

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ouge-officer-fired-excessive-force/474566002/

So. Much. Force. And. Violence. By. Gunfire.

IMO
Just read it in Wash Po.. it is truly sickening... what message is that sending out?

That it's okay to kill 'them', but just not while in uniform?
Lucky that doctor was as sharp as he was and that so many people were woke enough to video it.
It went on way way too long.

This is relevant to our discussion here, I believe.

If the desire to own guns, like fashion statements is equal to the desire to own guns for self-protection, as in fear and climates of fear..
This kind of brutality contributes to that fear *advertiser censored*.
For that it must be held accountable.

I wonder what they will say about Emma, what they haven't said already...
I wonder why they chose Hogg first?

They're not very bright, these people, I notice.. it keeps backfiring on them and their malice becomes immediately highlighted.. like a poison snake's dying hiss...IMO

Oh, they already went after Emma and it backfired too!

Maine state candidate who called Parkland student 'skinhead lesbian' drops out of race

"There is nothing about this skinhead lesbian that impresses me and there is nothing that she has to say unless you're a frothing at the mouth moonbat," Gibson tweeted in response to a report about Parkland student Emma Gonzalez.

Saw it.. geez, it really shocked me.. that humanity could stoop so low..

Sometimes I analyse things energetically and this just blew the brains clean outa the law of gravity itself..

It started of low and became a crescendo in no time... like the call of a demented banshee..

I was trying to analyse it spiritually and identify it's inhabiting entity..

and, you know, it was like nothing I ever saw or experienced before.

It shook me to my core and it still does.. hid right out in the open.. almost as if it is actually mandatory..

We can do better than this..
I hope.

wHOA!

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/...d-students-poor-pathetic-liars-no-soul/219803

NUGENT: The dumbing down of America is manifested in the culture deprivation of our academia that have taught these kids the lies, media that have prodded and encouraged and provided these kids lies. I really feel sorry for them because it’s not only ignorant and dangerously stupid, but it’s soulless. To attack the good law-abiding families of America when well known predictable murderers commit these horrors is deep in the category of soulless. These poor children, I’m afraid to say this and it hurts me to say this, but the evidence is irrefutable, they have no soul.

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2018/02/28/nratv-spotlights-ex-sheriff-who-said-parkland-survivors-sound-hitler/219523

Asked about the student-led protests following the Parkland shooting during an interview with the Southern Poverty Law Center, Mack said the students, politicians, and media were using “the exact same kind of language” as “some of the rhetoric from Hitler and Stalin and Lenin,” who he said claimed “that gun control will make you safer.” SPLC reported that Mack does “like the idea of teachers being armed” after the Parkland shooting, though he said it’s not the “only answer.” (There’s no evidence that arming school teachers would prevent school shootings.)

Mack received an endorsement in his campaign to represent Arizona's 8th congressional district from NRA board member Ted Nugent, who has recently come under fire for spreading a conspiracy theory about Parkland shooting survivors. Mack also has well-documented and long-standing ties to a far-right faction of the pro-gun movement.

they seem to be extremely deluded and i worry that they are considered sufficiently sane to bear arms..

Yes, that is terrible. Injured, not killed. Shot does not mean KILLED. There is NOT one child killed per day by guns in Ontario, Canada! (Youths in the study were considered 24 years of age and under, I believe) Some of the problem is illegal guns pouring in across the border (eg so many huge cities in Ontario are so close to the US). The Liberal govt has just introduced a bill for stricter gun regulations and laws for proper gun storage need to be enforced more strictly. No person in a city in Canada needs a gun. If they want one for recreation or hunting, they should store it at a gun range.
Yes, you are correct. I meant to say shot.

To longtime friend, school shooter Nikolas Cruz was lonely, volatile, ostracized

“Someone could have approached a faculty member, a guidance counselor, a teacher and said, ‘This kid gets bullied a lot, someone should do something,’ ” said student Manolo Alvarez, 17, who had history class with Cruz. “I regret definitely not saying anything.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article200754714.html

Mass Murders in Schools and Bullying: What We Can Do to Help Stop the Carnage

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ross-ellis/mass-murders-in-schools-a_b_5492873.html

There is, however, a significant and growing body of research that there is a strong relationship between bullying and mass violence. Professors Michael Kimmel and Matthew Mahler of Stony Brook University (of the State University of New York) have found, for example, that most of the boys who have committed shootings in American high schools and middle schools were “mercilessly and routinely teased and bullied and that their violence was retaliatory against threats to their manhood.” And in his book “Ceremonial Violence,” Professor Jonathan Fast of Yeshiva University examined more than a dozen mass school shootings and found that while there is no single reason for their violent acts, the kids who committed these atrocities suffered from alienation from their peers, neglect and often abuse.

New app hopes to increase safety of students in Palm Beach County

PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. - The Palm Beach County School District, its police department along with the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office rolled out its new safety app Wednesday, designed to make schools safer.

Just search “PBC StudentProtect” in the app store for Apple and Android. It’s for students, faculty and parents.

If a student is getting bullied, anything that’s going on in school that’s not safe, we can pull our phone out, get on the app and say something and no body knows who that is.”

https://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-...ch/new-safety-app-for-students-parents-in-pbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
0maj0